• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I'm absolutely loving it

You could take away all of the extra stuff, and the simple act of playing it is still massively enjoyable. The rest is lovely gravy.

It is very fun but im still at 25%, i just hate reading all this shit about how bad it gets

Minamu

I've got a question about mission objectives: Will I have to redo all objectives on replays if I've only done let's say 3/5? Or do they stay completed forever?

duckroll

I still can't figure out why I can't fast travel sometimes. I don't know what causes it. Does the base need to be low alert level?

It's really a pain travelling in this game

Fast travel via the delivery points is only available when everything is stable and normal. If they're on alert or they're suspicious and looking for someone, it won't work, since any delivery truck which pulls into the area in such a state would stop and help investigate too, rather than deliver goods. Maybe hide in a corner and take out a phantom cigar?

Everywhere I seem to go people are miserable about this game and its making me not want to continue, are some people here at least enjoying it? I was having fun but wading through all the "Oh the story is crap they ruined it" stuff even in unrelated threads is exhausting.

To be fair, I still thing it's a great game.

The sourness and miserable part comes into play when you want to get the true ending and the amount of grind you are forced to do with minimum story in between.

50 hours of anything gets old in a continous play through, I'm sure if we spaced this game out over two weeks or a month instead of less than a week opinions would be slightly different in terms of the general negativity.

Hasney

Took me 25 minutes, but got an S+ and S volunteer out of it and extracted a ton of people, plus rescued the guys he stole first!

Lol I've noticed you've been doing a lot of FOB, is it good enough to warrant buying Playstation Plus? Last couple of times I've turned MGS on I've been told my FOB was invaded, one failed and one successfully defended.

I really enjoy it, servers are a little annoying still. Probably not worth Plus in itself, but if MGO turns out good, it might be then.

SeanR1221

The sourness and miserable part comes into play when you want to get the true ending and the amount of grind you are forced to do with minimum story in between.

50 hours of anything gets old in a continous play through, I'm sure if we spaced this game out over two weeks or a month instead of less than a week opinions would be slightly different in terms of the general negativity.

Yeah I'm taking my time. MGS isn't a game I'll trade in and it's not like we'll get another one anytime soon.

On mission 12 and even that's moving fast for me.

Hasney

Everywhere I seem to go people are miserable about this game and its making me not want to continue, are some people here at least enjoying it? I was having fun but wading through all the "Oh the story is crap they ruined it" stuff even in unrelated threads is exhausting.

76.5 hours and still loving every minute of doing side ops, going for S ranks and FOB. I'm all in.

It is very fun but im still at 25%, i just hate reading all this shit about how bad it gets

I'm on Episode 2, Mission 35. The gameplay still remains top notch and I find new ways to tackle objectives pretty much every few missions. Then again, I never particularly cared for the MGS story outside of 3's (and even then, only to the degree that it was contained to MGS3 itself, not to the overarching plot about the Patriots or what have you).

So the game's only really gotten better for me. It's probably a minority view actually but I'm extremely glad that the vast majority of this game was pure gameplay.

It'll be my GOTY easily at this rate.

StewboaT_

I'm completely hooked. Loving it so far after a bit of a slow start.

I don't know why the answer to this question is spoilered. It is a in game loading screen tip for christ sake.

You can either add a diplomat to balance the trouble maker out or add another troublemaker to the unit so they fight with each other and leave the rest alone.

Kick the unsanitary ones out of base regardless of their stats though, they get people sick and sometimes even killed.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but how do I identify trouble makers, diplomats and unsanitary fools?

I'm not miserable but this game is really very flawed, imho. The missions, while fun and great mechanically, lack variety, and from what I'm reading about the second half of the game it only gets worse. Some truly horrible and lazy design decisions, bad enough to make me question whether I want to play anymore.

Phionoxx

Man it's ridiculously impossible for an invader to successfully invade a highly upgraded FOB with max security settings.

It's really challenging if the other player joins in to defend. Id you invade someone that either doesn't join or is offline its not so bad. They give you so much time there is no need to rush. As long as you can manage to avoid triggering a combat alert. After that, it can quickly spiral out of control!

Took me 25 minutes, but got an S+ and S volunteer out of it and extracted a ton of people, plus rescued the guys he stole first!

I really enjoy it, servers are a little annoying still. Probably not worth Plus in itself, but if MGO turns out good, it might be then.

Yh I'll certainly have it by then (if it does happen). Just debating it as some of these FOB experiences sound pretty damn interesting lol.

Tiktaalik

Asking this question about Quiet again because it seemed like there were differing opinions from the responses I got.

When you fight Quiet is it impossible to sneak up/surprise her? Is it impossible to CQC her (ie grab her, throw her on the ground? or punch her?).

It seemed impossible for me to sneak up on her when I was playing, but obviously maybe I'm just terrible.. (I had no issues sneaking up on The End...)

Yeah, a lot of a the negativitiy seems to be from people who just want to see the story and discuss it as fast as possible while MGSV is still new. If you just want to power through the main story, then you'll view side-ops and extra missions as busywork you have to wade through. But if you don't care about being in the zeitgeist and prefer to just to play at your own pace, then I think reception would be better.

I actually genuinely enjoy the sideops and the Extreme missions even if they are just repeats. Side ops are basically sandbox mode where you can kill and alert and alert and be as loud as you want with no rank penalty. And the extreme missions actually make me tackle a mission in a much more methodical and careful way than I usually do.

Hasney

Yh I'll certainly have it by then (if it does happen). Just debating it as some of these FOB experiences sound pretty damn interesting lol.

It is really fun. I pick low level targets for now, but even they can go wrong. It's pretty damn intense when you see that they join to defend as well.

When my base is infiltrated, noone seems to expect that I will rocket launch them with no regard for my own staff. They're replaceable after all, but they must die.

Basically, for infiltration, I go sneaking suit, tranq sniper, tranq pistol and an assault rifle just in case. On defence, it's the same but replace the sniper with a rocket launcher and go in battle dress. It also levels up your staff on a success and the worse staff you use, the higher the score multiplier, so it all feeds back into your operation wonderfully. Only frustration is when you can't connect to defend sometimes....

Asking this question about Quiet again because it seemed like there were differing opinions from the responses I got.

When you fight Quiet is it impossible to sneak up/surprise her? Is it impossible to CQC her (ie grab her, throw her on the ground? or punch her?).

It seemed impossible for me to sneak up on her when I was playing, but obviously maybe I'm just terrible.. (I had no issues sneaking up on The End...)

I'm almost certain that you cannot.

Huh? I love the game. I think many hardcore fans probably don't like that it's different. They miss cutscenes and the dude with the throatcancervoice.
This game is pure gameplay and freedom. It's brilliant.

Klossen

Banned
"Obtained key item: XX"

So where do I find these key items? I've obtained whole lot of key items without knowing what to do with them.

cackhyena

I mean, there's this to prove you can
get right up on her...but yeah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWxAJ31jMRQ

I noticed that certain stuff in a mission is saved when using continue (even before reaching a checkpoint).
Like, broken lights and windows, marked enemies etc.

Does this also work for generators etc.?
Can you basically do an inital run and destroy (and mark) everything then press continue (and play at night) to have an easier time to finish the mission / do a S-rank no kills & alarms playthrough?
Kinda weird.

"Obtained key item: XX"

So where do I find these key items? I've obtained whole lot of key items without knowing what to do with them.

You can get key items for fultoning a certain number of things and for marking a certain amount of people. Those are the ones I unlocked through actions. Most others seem story based. Key items usually just unlock things to make in R&D.

They would rather watch cutsences than play a great game.

It is really fun. I pick low level targets for now, but even they can go wrong. It's pretty damn intense when you see that they join to defend as well.

When my base is infiltrated, noone seems to expect that I will rocket launch them with no regard for my own staff. They're replaceable after all, but they must die.

Basically, for infiltration, I go sneaking suit, tranq sniper, tranq pistol and an assault rifle just in case. On defence, it's the same but replace the sniper with a rocket launcher and go in battle dress. It also levels up your staff on a success and the worse staff you use, the higher the score multiplier, so it all feeds back into your operation wonderfully. Only frustration is when you can't connect to defend sometimes....

Lmao if someone fired a rocket launcher at me I'd probably just burst out laughing. You're really persuading me to renew Playstation Plus asap lol.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all

I was able to compeltely sneak up on her (I used smoke grenades to make her think I was coming towards her, and I was at her next spot) but I was unable to CQC at all. Kind of dissapointing.

Apt101

Man these boss fights are so, so dope.

Edit: my only regret so far is that Solid Snake isn't the hero living this story, but I am digging the grand tragedy that is Big Boss's life. It's like all of the games I loved as Solid were just an interlude to the narrative of Big Boss. Man this game rules.

tbf it is noticably missing a lot of forward momentum in the way it progresses, and I personally miss the combo of Hayter and BB being very talkative.

I was able to compeltely sneak up on her (I used smoke grenades to make her think I was coming towards her, and I was at her next spot) but I was unable to CQC at all. Kind of dissapointing.

My friend actually managed to knock her out in two punches. He did a million dollar man sprint punch and then hit her again and she went down.

Funny enough, I only won (and got an s-rank to boot) when I decided I'd try to fight them with the best tools at my disposal. The most destruction I could cause was with D-Walker. Skulls got wasted.

yeah i don't understand the crying. This game is the best experience ive had so far this gen.

I don't think anyone's saying it's not massively fun. I know I'm personally just disappointed with the way the story plays out.

Top Bottom