• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Tovarisc

Getting little old when 40+ hours in Ocelot keeps giving you tutorial tips via radio. Bro, I have dealt with tens of snipers and such already. Shut up!

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Is "the best is yet to come" on the game as a tape? Would love to have that.

Also, was there some legal stuff involving the main MGS2 and 3 theme way back when? Thought I remebered something happening with it. Feel like it wasn't in 4 and I'm curious if it's here.

Yep. There was controversy pertaining to the main MGS theme between a Russian composer and Kojima. So the main theme ended up being cut from MGS4 and forward.

Erm,
Snake Eater
lyrics are random bullshit spoilers?

You know that having
BB dreaming the first act or chapter and having you wake up and do the hospital scene again is something Kojima would totally do.
But yeah, sorry, someone spoiled something pretty big yesterday so I'm edgy.

Grisby

Yep. There was controversy pertaining to the main MGS theme between a Russian composer and Kojima. So the main theme ended up being cut from MGS4 and forward.
Damn, such a shame. Thought it was something like that.

For me, other than "the best is yet come", that main theme is MGS.

Was sad when it didn't apoear in 4.

A small portion of the main theme is actually on the OST for MGSV as "Various Jingles". It was used in Ground Zeroes for the MGS1 homage mission. So it's weird they still used it there.

Truant

Got this gifted on steam and played through the opening. That was pretty great, but the actual game seems to be nothing like it. Are those big set pieces few and far between? Does anything happen in the actual game besides the tapes and the generic missions?

pizzacat

Banned
What do I do on episode 12 once they close the door on the
metal gear

I go outside and it tells me I'm leaving mission area but I'm not tho

Salaadin

I still can't figure out why I can't fast travel sometimes. I don't know what causes it. Does the base need to be low alert level?

It's really a pain travelling in this game

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Damn, such a shame. Thought it was something like that.

For me, other than "the best is yet come", that main theme is MGS.

Was sad when it didn't apoear in 4.

It sorta got remixed in the OST of MGS4. I believe the track was called "Metal Gear SAGA"

Hasney

Currently hiding after my 5th alert on this FOB. So glad the player clearly isn't online, so fucked this one up.

Still, already nabbed 2 A+ guys and 9 others.

Pomo

I don't know how to feel about the story in this game.

On the one hand, the gameplay is fantastic and I've been thoroughly entertained for the 60+ hours I've played it. The other hand is the story hand that seems to have been a little mangled. It's like half a hand, and the remaining fingers are bent in weird directions and only work sometimes. I dunno. Probably just need some time to live with it.

Still, loving the game as a whole.

I don't want to do
any of these repeat missions
. It's such lazy design and it's really not fun.
Are they required to get the real ending? If so guess I'll just watch it online or something :/

Anbec7

So any mother base tips?
How do you keep the morale high? you need to go to everybase? and kick everyon in the process?
How do you unblock the red doors in each platform? time or a special iteam?

I still can't figure out why I can't fast travel sometimes. I don't know what causes it. Does the base need to be low alert level?

It's really a pain travelling in this game
I think the base can't be on alert at all and they can't have any idea you're there, even the white thing that says they've spotted movement.

Could be wrong, but that's what I feel like I've noticed...
How do I reduce staff fights amongst each other?

This keeps on happening at my Mother Base and I'm still only pretty early on.
Look through your list of staff and find the ones listed as "troublemakers." Make sure there are enough people listed as "diplomats' to balance out the "troublemakers."

sora87

I just fultoned the vehicle out of there. Didn't have to kill or attack anyone. Crawling around on your belly apparently makes you invisible.

I didn't have the upgrade for that yet.
What I found was running away a little and letting the skulls get ahead makes them stay solid for longer and not disappearing into mist as soon as you shoot them, that worked.

1. What does the 'x' next to a staff members name mean? Does that indicate they can't be used because they are on a combat deployment?
2. Is there any way to permanently assign members to a particular unit? It seems like the game randomly assigns members to a unit for each mission, and then I have to manually go in and adjust.
Anybody?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Get rid of people with the Troublemakers skill or put them together (I just dismiss them automatically).

Soulflarz

Banned
You know that having
BB dreaming the first act or chapter and having you wake up and do the hospital scene again is something Kojima would totally do.
But yeah, sorry, someone spoiled something pretty big yesterday so I'm edgy.

Someone did? What was spoiled in here? Was it the post like 20 below my joke one that was ending speculation?

1. Maybe direct contact?
2. Well, you could custom make your squads to fix that.

Hasney

Get rid of troublemakers, but it's fairly pointless. It barely has an impact on your staff, just a few in sickbay every now and then.

Ugh, I'm never going to the gfaqs mgs 5 boards again. Pretty sure someone spoilt an endgame event for me in the goddamn topic title just to be a dick.

Could someone, without going into detail say whether or not the fact that (endgame spoilers)
Ishmael is apparently big boss
is the only big
twist
or do I have something else to look forward to?

StewboaT_

So I'm finally able to connect to the servers but my menus are disgustingly laggy now. Lame. I want to try out this FOB stuff so I guess I'll just have to deal.

Scene from a trailer and its availability in game spoiler:

Apparently that shot from the E3 trailer of the Mother Base recruits fighting and Big Boss intervening only happens if you let your GMP go in the red?

Can someone confirm if that's true or not.

Then what after. I'm at that checkpoint and I don't know what to do lol

I think you just leave the mission area...? Not sure, sorry.

Someone did? What was spoiled in here? Was it the post like 20 below my joke one that was ending speculation?

No, it was in another metal gear thread that was created yesterday, not the spoiler thread obviously. I didn't want to believe it as a spoiler until the post got called out by someone confirming it to be a spoiler.

Xanathus

What's the strategy for mission 40
Quiet
on Extreme difficulty? I can barely get a shot off before I get killed by a one-hit.

Stay at the cover where you start, you can mark her while in cover. Then when you want to shoot, pop out of cover for half a second (aim down sight) and she'll shoot. After that you have like 1 to 1.5 seconds to come out and actually shoot her. You have to account for bullet drop in Extreme difficulty so you have to aim above her

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Everywhere I seem to go people are miserable about this game and its making me not want to continue, are some people here at least enjoying it? I was having fun but wading through all the "Oh the story is crap they ruined it" stuff even in unrelated threads is exhausting.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
S rank on Misson 41 on my first try! Wow. 6 minutes! Was fun to use some new gadgets to get it done and with no kills
surprised taking down a gunship doesn't count as a kill

and look at that
eli
talks. and is
british? south african?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Everywhere I seem to go people are miserable about this game and its making me not want to continue, are some people here at least enjoying it? I was having fun but wading through all the "Oh the story is crap they ruined it" stuff even in unrelated threads is exhausting.

I can shrug off others opinions, so I am having a great time.

Get rid of people with the Troublemakers skill or put them together (I just dismiss them automatically).

Put 2 "troublemakers" in the same area, and they should cancel out each other.

Get rid of troublemakers, but it's fairly pointless. It barely has an impact on your staff, just a few in sickbay every now and then.

I think the base can't be on alert at all and they can't have any idea you're there, even the white thing that says they've spotted movement.

Could be wrong, but that's what I feel like I've noticed...

Look through your list of staff and find the ones listed as "troublemakers." Make sure there are enough people listed as "diplomats' to balance out the "troublemakers."

Cheers everyone!

Animator

I don't know why the answer to this question is spoilered. It is a in game loading screen tip for christ sake.

You can either add a diplomat to balance the trouble maker out or add another troublemaker to the unit so they fight with each other and leave the rest alone.

Kick the unsanitary ones out of base regardless of their stats though, they get people sick and sometimes even killed.

10 alerts. These guys see like goddamn hawks.

Lol I've noticed you've been doing a lot of FOB, is it good enough to warrant buying Playstation Plus? Last couple of times I've turned MGS on I've been told my FOB was invaded, one failed and one successfully defended.

I'm absolutely loving it

You could take away all of the extra stuff, and the simple act of playing it is still massively enjoyable. The rest is lovely gravy.

Top Bottom