• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Is there an option to always be offline? I always get disconnected anyway, and I'd like to skip past the five messages they always show for some reason.

I'm loving this FOB defense stuff. Sniped the last guy from like 200m away. And the one before that thought he was being sneaky, but I dropped down behind him and shot him in the back of the head.
Is it possible to CQC choke/kill an invader and win that way? I didn't want to take the chance and find out the hard way lol

Marvel

could never
Gameplay is solid as fuck, the writing and ending isn't. I think V deserved so much more than what we got.

I've got a question about mission objectives: Will I have to redo all objectives on replays if I've only done let's say 3/5? Or do they stay completed forever?

I loaded up the second mission and I had to start all the way from the beginning. Annoying if that's the case.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Ugh seriously my biggest frustration with this game is how restrictive the load outs are.

Why are SMG's only secondaries?
Why are shotguns only primaries?
Why can't I carry both a sniper and a rocket launcher?
Why can't I choose to not carry a secondary or primary at all?

Seriously I wish they had gone the Peace Walker route with this one. Where standard fatigues gave you a standard amount of weapon slots, the sneaking suit gave you less and the battle dress gave you more and you could fill those slots with whatever you wanted to.

Does this bother anyone else?

Everywhere I seem to go people are miserable about this game and its making me not want to continue, are some people here at least enjoying it? I was having fun but wading through all the "Oh the story is crap they ruined it" stuff even in unrelated threads is exhausting.

Relax man, this happens with every major title in a big series. And taking into account that this game is a departure from the past games in the series, the last mgs from kojima prod, people will feel a bit hyperbolic over it, at least in the weeks to come. This is also a really big game with much more game time than any other mgs before, so people that are binge playing are going through everything in the game and processing it too fast too, no time to sink down everything from the game so people bring the aspects they didn't like first.

And there are a lot of people that jump on the bandwagon just because.

I understand you, just try to ignore these opinions right now and play the game for yourself, take your time and enjoy it. don't let other people affect your enjoyment

Ambitious

COUtl46XAAABY4-.jpg:large

Why are some of the track names yellow?

I'm loving this FOB defense stuff. Sniped the last guy from like 200m away. And the one before that thought he was being sneaky, but I dropped down behind him and shot him in the back of the head.
Is it possible to CQC choke/kill an invader and win that way? I didn't want to take the chance and find out the hard way lol

Yes! The first, and only time I went into defense mode I gave homeboy a good 4 or 6 heavy machine gun bullets to the back, followed by a very satisfying CQC slam to the ground.

Relax man, this happens with every major title in a big series. And taking into account that this game is a departure from the past games in the series, the last mgs from kojima prod, people will feel a bit hyperbolic over it, at least in the weeks to come. This is also a really big game with much more game time than any other mgs before, so people that are binge playing are going through everything in the game and processing it too fast too, no time to sink down everything from the game so people bring the aspects they didn't like first.

And there are a lot of people that jump on the bandwagon just because.

I understand you, just try to ignore these opinions right now and play the game for yourself, take your time and enjoy it. don't let other people affect your enjoyment

For sure play the game at your own pace, but one of my complaints is also that (Opinion, not really story spoiler):
it actually ISN'T as big as it was hyped up to be. Decide for yourself how you feel about the story. I personally hated the ending. A lot of us long time MGS fans feel really let down.
COUtl46XAAABY4-.jpg:large

Why are some of the track names yellow?

Those are considered important to the main story.

Mupod

How do you identify trouble makers?

This UI can be confusing at the beginning.

It took me 40-some hours to find an easy way to do this - press the right trigger on the 'all staff' tab and sort by 'skills'. Scroll down until you find people with the 'troublemaker' skill.

Apt101

Ugh seriously my biggest frustration with this game is how restrictive the load outs are.

Why are SMG's only secondaries?
Why are shotguns only primaries?
Why can't I carry both a sniper and a rocket launcher?
Why can't I choose to not carry a secondary or primary at all?

Seriously I wish they had gone the Peace Walker route with this one. Where standard fatigues gave you a standard amount of weapon slots, the sneaking suit gave you less and the battle dress gave you more and you could fill those slots with whatever you wanted to.

Does this bother anyone else?

My guess is to stop people from going balls out wild and rampaging through missions. And to force people to think on their feet and rapidly switch between weapons and tools. During the last mission I had to quickly head shot tranq a soldier, slam two, then rush another and prosthetic punch him, before switching to a SMG and gunning my way out (edit: and before I rushed out with the SMG I detonated a C4 as a distraction, which just so happened to clear my path). If I had the option of having pretty much any weapon slotted anywhere I could have casually strolled through the encounter. Instead it was a frenetic sequence that would be hard to replicate, and one many others (possibly no one) thought of.

Edit 2: also it wasn't a SMG but the rapid-firing main. I get confused with all these weapons sometimes.

WGMBY

How do you identify trouble makers?

This UI can be confusing at the beginning.

There will be a mark on their staff page, next to their name. press the "switch display" button (Triangle/Y/action button) to get a more detailed view of the staff member, it will indicate what the mark indicates.

Blader

Just spent a solid 40 minutes downloading various updates on my PS3 so I could upload my GZ data (PS3 ver.) to download onto TPP (PS4 ver.) but it just occurred to me... I have separate PSN accounts for my PS3 and PS4. So there's really no way to actually download my GZ data into TPP, is there?

Soulflarz

Banned
Just spent a solid 40 minutes downloading various updates on my PS3 so I could upload my GZ data (PS3 ver.) to download onto TPP (PS4 ver.) but it just occurred to me... I have separate PSN accounts for my PS3 and PS4. So there's really no way to actually download my GZ data into TPP, is there?

Copy the save to the other account and ignore the fact it locks you out of trophies in GZ on that save since it's irrelevant at the moment?

Phenomena

So post mission 25:
I found the cause for the decease. Do I really have to go through the language check for my 400+ team?! There must some kind of faster way?

RDreamer

Goddamn, that was tense. Just S ranked Mission 16 on my first try. No kills, no retries, all stealth. Did that even though I dicked around a ton fultoning containers at the airport thinking I should be there instead of where I actually was supposed to be.

Man these boss fights are so, so dope.

The boss fights are another issue I have with the game (up to Mission 31 spoilers):

They're incredible repetitive. The sniper fight against the Skull snipers is exactly the same as the one you had with Quiet. The Skull fight you have when the chopper gets taken down is the exact same fight you had when you got the Honey Bee, except there you had the option of running away. Think about it and the Sahelanthropus fight is no different than a fight against a Skull: You run around shooting rockets at it while it throws rocks at your face with the occasional waiting around for a supply drop.

I don't get how YongYea called these the best boss battles in the series or something like that, I really don't.
The spontaneity and surprise of the Quiet fight was something I loved and the duel itself was fun, for example, but then it just gets repeated later? I can see the pattern in the game design here and I really don't like it.

Nuke Soda

Built an FOB last night and have no doubt when I boot the game up tonight everything will be gone. Going to be a tense moment when I first boot up the game.

I'm pretty sure I just finished the game, and it was a hell of a ride. Still processing what I think of the story, as there were aspects I like and stuff I wasn't too keen on. The game-play was absolutely incredible though, if a little easy by the late-game.

Also does anyone know if episode 46 is the true ending, or if there is another secret ending somewhere? And is it possible to get Quiet back after episode 45?

Ambitious

Yes! The first, and only time I went into defense mode I gave homeboy a good 4 or 6 heavy machine gun bullets to the back, followed by a very satisfying CQC slam to the ground.

For sure play the game at your own pace, but one of my complaints is also that (Opinion, not really story spoiler):
it actually ISN'T as big as it was hyped up to be. Decide for yourself how you feel about the story. I personally hated the ending. A lot of us long time MGS fans feel really let down.

Those are considered important to the main story.

I thought it meant 'essential or recommended listening' in the same way that yellow side-ops are essential or recommended.

Thanks!

The boss fights are another issue I have with the game (up to Mission 31 spoilers):

They're incredible repetitive. The sniper fight against the Skull snipers is exactly the same as the one you had with Quiet. The Skull fight you have when the chopper gets taken down is the exact same fight you had when you got the Honey Bee, except there you had the option of running away. Think about it and the Sahelanthropus fight is no different than a fight against a Skull: You run around shooting rockets at it while it throws rocks at your face with the occasional waiting around for a supply drop.

I don't get how YongYea called these the best boss battles in the series or something like that, I really don't.
The spontaneity and surprise of the Quiet fight was something I loved and the duel itself was fun, for example, but then it just gets repeated later? I can see the pattern in the game design here and I really don't like it.

Mechanically, yes. But I felt they were tense as fuck. My controller was so sweaty and I am a Souls lover.

dkopman1

Neo Member
So as someone who never played any MGS games, how accessible is this one to a newcomer? I keep hearing how story lite this one is as compared to the other ones and the gameplay seems very interesting.

Blader

Copy the save to the other account and ignore the fact it locks you out of trophies in GZ on that save since it's irrelevant at the moment?

Oh good idea! Hadn't even occurred to me to just sign into my other account on the PS3, and do the upload from there. Thanks!

So as someone who never played any MGS games, how accessible is this one to a newcomer? I keep hearing how story lite this one is as compared to the other ones and the gameplay seems very interesting.

It is comparatively story lite (so far, but sounds like that remains the case all the way through) but everything that is there is tied to what's set up in MGS3, Peace Walker, and Ground Zeroes. If you haven't played or read up the stories of those three games, you won't have any idea who's who, what they're doing, or why.

He honestly said that? Wow. Just wow. MGS1 and MGS3 bosses will never be beaten and MGSV is nowhere near that level. I'd rank MGSV's bosses under MGS2's and above Peace Walker's (which were the worst in the series). A couple of them have been intense, but mechanically and on a how memorable they are? Nowhere near MGS1 and MGS3.

aravuus

I'm pretty sure I just finished the game, and it was a hell of a ride. Still processing what I think of the story, as there were aspects I like and stuff I wasn't too keen on. The game-play was absolutely incredible though, if a little easy by the late-game.

Also does anyone know if episode 46 is the true ending, or if there is another secret ending somewhere? And is it possible to get Quiet back after episode 45?

46 is the true ending, but you can find a thread on the cut mission number 51 around here, which shows what happened to Eli and the Third Boy. And no, looks like Quiet is gone forever. Shitty, I know.

How do you call in a support helicopter and not one for extraction? I just realized I've never used a support 'copter because I don't know how to call them.

Zomba13

That is the real ending and no.

He honestly said that? Wow. Just wow. MGS1 and MGS3 bosses will never be beaten and MGSV is nowhere near that level. I'd rank MGSV's bosses under MGS2's and above Peace Walker's (which were the worst in the series).

I'm pretty sure he did. I think it was in his audio-only impressions after coming back from the Konami review event.

I'm pretty sure he did. I think it was in his audio-only impressions after coming back from the Konami review event.

So he hadn't even beaten the game by that point, then. So weird. I have no idea how he came to that conclusion. Must have been drinking the hype off the back of the event.

I am a big fan of the series too, but maybe i already had some of my expectations in check for the game in regards to the story. so what's there i found rather enjoyable.

Oh shit, has anyone found the
P.T.
easteregg?
It's in
mission 20 (in one of the small outposts)

It's the
radio message from the demo/teaser

That was scary, lol.

Top Bottom