• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Will I get other tranquilizing weapons besides the pistol, I want to do a no-kill run but I don't wanna get bored doing it.
I'm trying a no kill run but it's probably useless, the game wants you to try new way of approach so killing some enemies shouldn't be a problem (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). Btw there's the tranq sniper rifle, best thing ever.

Please tell me what Episode number this is so I have something to look forward to. Just spent the last five hours grinding

Episode number is
but I warn you its totally down to how you feel about it. Personally I thought it made an already bad story even worse, but can kind of see why some may like it.

Euphor!a

Banned
Ok seriously, how do I start getting S rank recruits in the field? My Heroism is ~500k at this point and around 64% completion and if I am super super lucky I'll see someone with A++ and a majority of the time it is just a boaster. What is the deal with S rank and higher recruits in the field?

Severance

Chapter 2 still has some good stuff in it. Infact, there's a couple of things in Chapter 2 that rank as high points of the game for me.

It's absolutely worth experiencing. It's just a more "fractured" experience than Chapter 1, which is very structured by comparison, and doesn't provide the necessary closure to plot threads that it should.

That's good to hear. It seems to me most of the negativity stems from the ending twist and lack of resolution for some plot lines. I can't wait to see what kind of crazy shit Kojima cooked up haha.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm only about 10 hours in, but I have a question. What is the hook of this game? So far, it's not story and it's definitely not the characters. It's not exploration or mission design, because that stuff is pretty bland. Is it all about getting new toys so you can stealth better? Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not at all what I expected.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Will I get other tranquilizing weapons besides the pistol, I want to do a no-kill run but I don't wanna get bored doing it.

There are assault rifles that use rubber bullets stunning enemies, sniper rifles that use tranq darts, and automatic pistols that shoot darts too. You have to unlock them first though.

What platform should i prioritize? i upgraded R&D and INTEL to 1.

Base development too, I'd say, since they do the processing for materials which are used for building more platforms.

JJP12

I finally got around to checking out the medical bay and wow did that catch me off guard. I'm really glad it wasn't spoiled for me. This is still a Metal Gear game.

Gvitor

They'll have to fuck it up really badly for chapter 2 to suck as much as I'm reading here lately. This trailer was fucking awesome.

BadHand

I'm just about to start the mission which enable the FOB - i'm a little hesitant to do it. Can i enable the FOB then decide how much resource to allocate to it and keep the rest at MB?

I'm just a little concerned i'm gonna get cleaned out when i'm offline.

blamite

So how do diamonds work? Is there a set number scattered around the world and you can find all of them, or do they occasionally spawn in, like, semi-random-ish places?

Dimmle

I'm only about 10 hours in, but I have a question. What is the hook of this game? So far, it's not story and it's definitely not the characters. Is it all about getting new toys so you can stealth better? Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Yeah, it's all about the toys and how they interact with the many systems and how that dynamic improves or complicates your tactical espionage action. Or, if I can get real 2008 for a moment: EMERGENT GAMEPLAY

The mission design gets better and more complex the further in you are, though, although side-ops seem to be follow one of maybe a half-dozen recipes. I'm okay with the simple mission objectives because they rarely remain as simple as they initially appear on paper.

The highlight of the Metal Gear series for me up to this point was probably the two or three major bases you infiltrate in Snake Eater. Since this game is basically that expanded and multiplied by n, I'm enjoying myself quite a bit.

So how do diamonds work? Is there a set number scattered around the world and you can find all of them, or do they occasionally spawn in, like, semi-random-ish places?

There's absolutely nothing random about them. Diamonds will spawn where you first found them, plants as well, rare animals etc.

Finished the story. 61 hours on the clock. The ending...
is incredibly underwhelming. Like, literally nothing is resolved. It feels like a whole chapter's been cut from the game. So disappointed. :( Still, it's a great game, just disappointing as an MGS fan who is super-invested in the story and characters.

PensOwl

Banned
Diamonds respawn like all the other resources. If you're in Africa already-
the mines are chock full of them, and its easy to notice when they've come back

dc89

Post mission 29 spoilers
can someone please explain what skull face plan is it was very confusing

he wants to wipe the English language from existence using a parasite which attacks those who speak it. I'd have to listen to his speech again to understand what he was meaning when referring to Zero.

Why are we still here, just to cringe ?

Fuck, I witnessed the most cringiest scene in a Metal Gear game and I also felt offended. Damnit Kojima, - respect.

Setsuna

This game makes me realize how much I like Ubisoft games

At laest they show me the general direction of where stuff is this game is like theres a casette somewhere in the world go find it

Theres a might be a blueprint somewhere for some weapon that you dont even know exists

Morts

Having a terrible time with Mission
despite not having any difficulties at all until then. Also my staff is suddenly fighting among themselves all the time.

Finalow

side ops can disappear? Uhm.

I had the legendary gunsmith one, the second one, where you have to retrieve the TRUE master. now it's gone.

what the fuck

Hasney

side ops can disappear? Uhm.

I had the legendary gunsmith one, the second one, where you have to retrieve the TRUE master. now it's gone.

what the fuck

There's probably another side op already active in that location. You have to do that one first.

Is there an official FOB thread or something? I have a couple of questions:

1) is there a way to disable your FOB from being invaded until you're ready to start going back and growing your FOB and invading others if you want to concentrait on the story only and not have the stress of your FOB being invaded?

2) How the hell do you find/support/attack people on your friends list?! There doesn't seem to be anyway. It just looks like it gives you a random list of players...

No and you can't.

The boss fights are another issue I have with the game (up to Mission 31 spoilers):

They're incredible repetitive. The sniper fight against the Skull snipers is exactly the same as the one you had with Quiet. The Skull fight you have when the chopper gets taken down is the exact same fight you had when you got the Honey Bee, except there you had the option of running away. Think about it and the Sahelanthropus fight is no different than a fight against a Skull: You run around shooting rockets at it while it throws rocks at your face with the occasional waiting around for a supply drop.

Lol
I snuck past that entire sniper fight.

How do you call in a support helicopter and not one for extraction? I just realized I've never used a support 'copter because I don't know how to call them.

Either through the iDroid, or via flare grenades.

I am a big fan of the series too, but maybe i already had some of my expectations in check for the game in regards to the story. so what's there i found rather enjoyable.

I was expecting to this to be the final dark road that saw Big Boss lose his mind and form Outer Heaven. To actually link the series. But instead, nope! You're just some other dude! The real Big Boss is off doing doing dope shit, 'cause his life is dope! Men become demons my ass.

The story just wasn't there for me. Even without that twist, it still didn't have anything I was expecting, like Gray Fox or Naomi Hunter's stories. But the biggest thing is that this game just isn't finished. And that is a fucking shame.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy a bit of the story, particularly Quiet and Venom's relationship. But it all just felt like it really meant nothing because "lolkojima switcheroo/what a twist!" On top of straight up calling out players as Big Boss fanboys. Thanks for reminding me that I'm a huge fucking nerd, Kojima. It just felt like a huge trolling, just for the sake of trolling.

Just beat mission 45 and whilst I haven't had a chance to finish watching the cutscene yet, I've got to say that was easily the worst mission in the whole game.

Are the tanks supposed to be that broken? Of course using the bombardment and calling the chopper in helps a bit, but the requirement of being regularly active in the fight to keep quiet from dying is a real pain in the ass when a good number of them can one shot you even through a sandstorm.

"what should the last new gameplay mission be? After we make them grind replays and side ops?"

" OHKO's and no choice in how to deal with the situation "

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Quiet dancing nearly naked in the rain and having a water fight with Big Boss.

Hated every bit of it, also ruined the song for me.

I actually kind of liked that scene. Okay, well, I liked the idea of it. It definitely should have been pulled off a lot better and with way more taste.

Lebneney

Banned
Diamonds respawn like all the other resources. If you're in Africa already-
the mines are chock full of them, and its easy to notice when they've come back

They respawn?! That's great news because I've been spending a good amount of GMP.

Mupod

good god LMGs are strong. I feel like an idiot for wasting so much time on a certain boss encounter instead of bringing one of these in. But I was really hoping for Kiefer Snake to yell "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHH" while firing it.

Top Bottom