• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

The Flash

Banned
So I've put about 12 or so hours into the game now and while I'm not the biggest MGS fan out there I find that this encapsulates my feelings of it so far.

215.gif

So happy I picked this up now instead of later.

I actually think
Mission 45 is intended to be that fuck up lol.
"You really shouldn't let Quiet go, ok you really want to? The mission is brutally hard though. Still? Try it, don't say you weren't warned."

NIN90

Something that I was wondering about [early-mid game gameplay mechanic]:
I noticed that the enemy started to employ the same type of blow-up dolls that Snake can use. Is that something that the enemy picked up on (I do use the dolls regularly) and started to use themselves or do they start using them no matter what?
First time I encountered one was one of my favorite moments in the game so far: http://webm.host/74dc4/
At first I honestly thought the game physics got fucked but then it slowly dawned on me.

Don't forget to sell your diamonds btw. You don't get the GMP when you pick them up, you have to sell them under Resources. Just keep a few of them, not many weapons need diamonds for development.

majorzods

Neo Member
Mission 30 spoilers
the part where big boss and skullface just stare at each other while sins of the father plays made me laugh more than it should have

blamite

side ops can disappear? Uhm.

I had the legendary gunsmith one, the second one, where you have to retrieve the TRUE master. now it's gone.

what the fuck

Speaking of this, I has the Stun Arm blueprint side op available, but never bothered with it. At some point it disappeared, probably around the time the side op to
make contact with Huey
appeared, but the Stun Arm just showed up for development anyway. That op is also totally gone from the list. Hopefully this doesn't stop me from getting credit for completing all side ops...

I just completed mission 31, is there any more plot after this...? Keep seeing mission numbers upto the 50s.
There are still so many unanswered questions.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget to sell your diamonds btw. You don't get the GMP when you pick them up, you have to sell them under Resources. Just keep a few of them, not many weapons need diamonds for development.

You mean diamonds or precious metal? Because I have gotten GMP with the rough diamonds. Or I think so.

Guzim

I have a silly question that I am sure has been asked and answered, but is there a way to turn off the opening credits for each episode/mission?

Hasney

That's wrong. Are you thinking of precious metals? That's a different resource.

Couple questions: Does the camo you pick have any impact on enemies seeing you like the camo index from MGS 3 and 4, or can I just run around in the sneaking suit.

How the heck do you use Quiet? What does the 'Quiet' command do?

What is the difference between her scout command (besides her scouting out an outpost) and her attack command?

Couple questions: Does the camo you pick have any impact on enemies seeing you like the camo index from MGS 3 and 4, or can I just run around in the sneaking suit.

What is the difference between her scout command (besides her scouting out an outpost) and her attack command?

Camo does have an effect, but you don't get a metric to identify camo performance like MGS 3.

No idea about that command lol. Her scout action actually finds most the enemies in the output, and she will drop ammo. Her attack action actually fixes her location to begin attacking obviously.

anyone else have immense motion sickness playing this? =(

You can turn of shakey cam

Hasney

For ps4 users, are the servers down? I get nothing but 10003 errors every single time I try to connect

No. Close the application and start it up again,t here's a bug where after playing for so many hours (including suspend), it can bugger up.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I have bad news. I did 16 and 29 in one try but 45 is a whole other league of bullshit. Brace yourself.

Yeah I finished the game and totally know what you're talking about. Probably made me rage more than the other 2.

That said, the payoff at the end of that mission made it all worth it.

KorrZ

Man. Post mission 25:

Well that was fun going through 550 soldiers manually and quarantining half of them >.>

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Still yet to start this. Only just finished arkham knight, will need to play Yoshi wooly world or Tearaway PS4 as a change of tone before starting this. Might also play MGS3 first (never played)

Welp, doing every objective on Extreme Backup, Back Down was super long and I captured everything (which sent me in the red) but that felt very rewarding.
I now have my own soviet mechanized unit lol.

They come back. My gunsmith one disappeared too and it eventually came back.
My working theory on side ops appearing/disappearing is that only one side op can take place in any given time, and the earlier ops take precedence over the later ones. Typically, many people were stumped by Legendary Gunsmith 2 not appearing, that's because in the spot of that op you had to do the UAV schematics op first, which in turn required the stun arm schematics.

Another thing to factor in is that if a prisoner or elite soldier who is part of a side op dies, the spot of that op will open again. That means any subsequent op that would have taken place in that spot temporarily disappears while the older recruit op opens up again. Since your dudes tend to die, it's not necessarily surprising to see newer ops disappear. The silver lining is that you can replace that one special soldier who died.

I hope this makes sense.

daveo42

Banned
Episode 21-22
Bah...screwed up the extraction from the top of the R&D Platform and died...all that progress lost. Feels bad man.

I have bad news. I did 16 and 29 in one try but 45 is a whole other league of bullshit. Brace yourself.

My strategy is to stick to the back of the building, and run back and forth. Takes a while, but it gets the job done..

Something that I was wondering about [early-mid game gameplay mechanic]:
I noticed that the enemy started to employ the same type of blow-up dolls that Snake can use. Is that something that the enemy picked up on (I do use the dolls regularly) and started to use themselves or do they start using them no matter what?
First time I encountered one was one of my favorite moments in the game so far: http://webm.host/74dc4/
At first I honestly thought the game physics got fucked but then it slowly dawned on me.

It happens regardless, I never use those.

Vas?

Mission 30 spoilersthe part where big boss and skullface just stare at each other while sins of the father plays made me laugh more than it should have

I was so bummed. Snake Eater was so well integrated into the story, and this was just like... what?

Mupod

camo is actually very effective. I don't know if Woodland camo has something special about it or if it's just the combination between camo index + the fact that I'm hiding in grass, but I've had soldiers just walk past me 2 feet away.

the only real reason to use the sneaking suit over appropriate camo is if you plan on doing a lot of grabbing and holdups, but it's really bad in the daytime and guys can see you for miles. The increased recovery on the upgraded versions is pretty strong though.

Johnjamin

Neo Member
For ps4 users, are the servers down? I get nothing but 10003 errors every single time I try to connect

I know this will sound dumb, but worked for me, if you constantly leave the game in rest mode when not in use, close the game down from home screen and restart it. Seems to connect whenever I do that.

daveo42

Banned
Episode 21-22 Question
Wait...does that mean since I failed at taking back the strut it means I can't do 22? Doesn't it automatically pop up at the start of 21?

Edit: I found it. Disappointing though...

Man. Post mission 25:

Well that was fun going through 550 soldiers manually and quarantining half of them >.>
People keep complaining about this, but I didn't quarantine a single person. I just played a couple missions until I found the cure.

Squishy3

The transport truck couldn't get around my jeep. CP gave him a non-answer and just said "Uh... find some other way to do your job."

Oh. He did find another way to do it. He blew up my jeep. What an asshole. I stole his vehicle at least.

Top Bottom