• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Nerrel

Man. The relative lack of checkpoints can be fucking punishing, and often not in a good way. Just blew a solid 45 minutes and got placed back before even approaching the area. Gotta put this down and come back a day or two later so I don't destroy my controller lol.

This is my biggest complaint with the game. It only saves a checkpoint when leaving or entering a certain area, in orther words you're awarded checkpoints by distance, not by progress. So if you're operating in the same place for a long period of time (as you inevitably will when infiltrating a densely guarded base) you'll get no checkpoints regardless of how much you accomplish. Only a mission critical event- pretty much completing the mission- will lead to a save.

I've had a lot of missions that went perfectly smooth but then something majorly fucked up right at the end, so I restart assuming I'll go to a point near my mistake and instead end up back at the very start of the entire op. Bullshit. It's a huge frustration if you've been exercising patience and taking things slowly for a long while.

Ōkami

End game spoilers.

Also a question, need to clear a doubt.
Couldn't beat metal gear on extreme, mission 50, damn hard.

Was able to leave at just a couple of shots from death and did that lunge attack which killed me.

Does not beating him changes the ending?

Mission 46 is labeled as truth: the man who sold the world

captainpat

how survivable is d-dog? I wanna use him on missions but I'm still pretty sloppy when is comes to stealth and I don't want him to die.

SilentRob

So, are there any other rooms like the one on the
medical platform
I should look out for on Mother Base? I know about that one and the
Battle Gear Hangar (not that secret)
one. Anything else? If you know, please try to tell me without spoiling what happens ;) For context: Storywise, I'm at
the very beginning of Chapter 2, just got the AI pod.

Does anybody know the answer to that question? Would be really helpful!

Also, I just unlocked full loyality cutscene for
Quiet

Jesus fucking christ, Kojima. That was waaaaaaay overboard.

void666

Banned
Whelp, only took me three fucking hours to
pacify The Quiet. The fight would have been a piece of cake if I just wanted to kill her. But trying to take her out with a tranq pistol was tough. She killed me twice when I was only a shot or two away from finishing her. Got that bitch in the end finally though.

Well,
you can go lethal on her. I used a sniper rifle. No need to use tranq guns. She won't die.

SkylineRKR

Ōkami;177886670 said:
End game spoilers.

Also a question, need to clear a doubt.
Couldn't beat metal gear on extreme, mission 50, damn hard.

Was able to leave at just a couple of shots from death and did that lunge attack which killed me.

Does not beating him changes the ending?

Mission 46 is labeled as truth: the man who sold the world

I won but it does nothing. And to be honest, I didn't really notice a huge difference in challenge. Maybe I got better.

Finalow

In episode 20 the boss fight/encounter is so poorly thought out. Only 2 opportunities to damage
Volgin
and then you don't even have enough time to call the chopper. I have the level 2 chopper body and even then I had to call it before I damaged him to be able to extract in time.

The more I play of this the more I think the moment to moment sneaking gameplay is the only thing that saves this from being complete trash. Which is a shame because that part is so fun.
holy fuck at that spoiler. couldn't you just write man on fire? Or actually let people know that it's not a fucking mission 20 spoiler?

goddamn.

Okay wow. Mission 42 Spoilers:
Chapter 2 is awful so far. The Extreme versions of things are just the Skulls so far, and the next on the list is the helicopter crash with Code Talker... a mission I thought was bullshit enough the first time round.

So now not only are the Skulls involved again, but its the mission where you HAVE to fight them to win.

Is there an easier way of taking down these armoured one that I don't know about? I have a maxed out rocket launcher (the second one) and it still does fuck all against these assholes.

Quiet with sinful butterfly, and use the sawed off double barreled shotgun, pretty sure it outpaces the rocket launchers in killing them... oh and use battle dress, you can survive a few hits with it

Tiktaalik

Too afraid to browse the thread, so apologies if this has been asked already - how is the play time calculated? Does it continue to tick while on PS home menu? I have completed 10% and the timer shows 27h, surely O can't have played that much... Right?

Same here. Very curious. I'm at around 10%, 25 hours and that seems really long... That being said it did probably take me like 3 hours to beat Mission 10...

Man. The relative lack of checkpoints can be fucking punishing, and often not in a good way. Just blew a solid 45 minutes and got placed back before even approaching the area. Gotta put this down and come back a day or two later so I don't destroy my controller lol.

I don't remember which mission it was but I had this issue, too. You can easily spend half an hour on any given mission and have all your progress wiped because of a stupid mistake. At one point you just say "fuck it" and shoot your way out of a situation.

Well,
you can go lethal on her. I used a sniper rifle. No need to use tranq guns. She won't die.

Wow, what fucking bullshit.
They seemed to stress that you needed to bring her in alive. I figured you wouldn't get to use her as a buddy if you killed her using damage weapons. She would have been dead within minutes if I had sniped her.

There's a lot of crappy game design going on here.

Saint9806

Wtf seriously.

The Resources tab is what I've been totally neglecting. I just hoard everything thinking that is what my GMP is based on. So, is everything I fulton just stored there waiting to be sold off?

I'm on this one now and it's a lot of fun, but I have absolutely no clue
how to get into the hangar with Huey! I've died three times on three runs to and around the base, in both stealth and guns blazing, and all of the doors are completely locked. How do I get in there!

You haven't gotten in the door yet? The fun has yet to start! Lol One of the doors is open. Check every one!

eso76

Me and D horse just fell off a cliff while racing to extraction point after a pretty awesome ride..

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Wtf seriously.

The Resources tab is what I've been totally neglecting. I just hoard everything thinking that is what my GMP is based on. So, is everything I fulton just stored there waiting to be sold off?

Not quite. Resource lists your

Processed Materials - You use these for developing new struts and weapons.

Unprocessed Materials - Keep Score on under Display options to occasionally see your Base Development Unit processing materials. From what I've read it takes like 40-80 minutes and its based on a percentage of unprocessed materials.

Plants - I would keep these. They are not super important but multiple development projects use them.

Vehicles - Keep at least one of each. Never know when you will need one plus sometimes Combat Deployments require them.

Gun Emplacements & Diamonds - Sell these. Emplacements might come in handy in FOB but I don't bother with the online stuff.

Sub_Level

mission 21 is really pissing me off, the target is in full body armor now and like nothing works on him

Sneak in through the back before he ever even leaves the building. You can straight up grab him and slit his throat.

There should be an entrance to the Southwest of the Airport. Get there quickly with a jeep. A couple guards are on watch at a tower, a guard on the ground, and 2 security cameras but otherwise you should be able to get into the building he is. He's on the second floor. You can get him before he even meets with the other dude and leave for home in time for dinner.

Mission 20 spoilers/question.

Is it possible to extract
the man on fire?
I've gotten myself killed intentionally to try again but I can't seem to figure it out since
Psycho kid always pops the balloon.

Zambatoh

Accept the little chicken hat. Most enemies will ignore you as long as you are not too close. Then you can just fulton the tanks etc. Prioritise the tanks at the back. They were what killed me the most.

I tried putting on the chicken hat, but it doesn't work. Enemies are still shooting at me and the tanks are still gunning for me.
Not to mention they are able to see me through the sand storm which is just plain unfair.
This mission is just plain broken and I am forever stuck on this mission.
Whoever thought it was a good idea to make this mission impossible to abort should have their legs shot off.

Sub_Level

Mission 20 spoilers/question.

Is it possible to extract
the man on fire?
I've gotten myself killed intentionally to try again but I can't seem to figure it out since
Psycho kid always pops the balloon.

No. That kind of thing comes later but you will have to find out on your own :)

Glass

About Quiet and her butterfly emblem -
Does using it actually change her story, or does it literally just stop the development where she leaves from happening?

Sub_Level

About Quiet and her butterfly emblem -
Does using it actually change her story, or does it literally just stop the development where she leaves from happening?

The latter. You won't even see the mission pop up.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
COT63goUsAAy7rJ.jpg:large

Sub_Level

You can actually fulton him. However Ocelot says he breaks free but the boss fight ends there and you can call in the chopper whenever you like.

That blows my mind. I stand corrected.

Paging Valar Morghulis

One little annoyance I have with this game Is the ability to use generic soldiers in main missions... I mean it'd be no problem if that was for side-ops but when you're using a generic character and you're on Motherbase and another soldier greets you as "boss" it kind of feels weird. I know in main missions the cutscenes switch the model to Snake but yeah this is an oversight.

A question about beating Mission 43.

I did, and uh, didn't get
Questioning Huey 5 cassette. Any reason for this? I really want it so I can get mission 45.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I tried putting on the chicken hat, but it doesn't work. Enemies are still shooting at me and the tanks are still gunning for me.
Not to mention they are able to see me through the sand storm which is just plain unfair.
This mission is just plain broken and I am forever stuck on this mission.
Whoever thought it was a good idea to make this mission impossible to abort should have their legs shot off.

Just keep trying man. Like I said, lots of cover and lots of running.

Also pay attention to sounds of tanks firing. You can use their reload time as a window.

brinstar

Sneak in through the back before he ever even leaves the building. You can straight up grab him and slit his throat.

There should be an entrance to the Southwest of the Airport. Get there quickly with a jeep. A couple guards are on watch at a tower, a guard on the ground, and 2 security cameras but otherwise you should be able to get into the building he is. He's on the second floor. You can get him before he even meets with the other dude and leave for home in time for dinner.

I just did it, what I ended up doing was setting a C4 trap in the building before hand and detonating it when he met with the inspector, lol.

brinstar

Man, holy shit. I just had the most amazing moment in this game. I tried running after assassinating a target but the enemy chopper saw me immediately. I call in Pequod for a lift and am crawling through the grass praying enemy soldiers don't find me as I desperately look for an exit point to get to the LZ, the enemy chopper sees Pequod and moves in to take him out. I hear all kinds of gunfire and explosions going on outside the base and then hear the sounds of a chopper crashing, I assume it's my guy.

But no-- I look over the fence and suddenly hear the opening notes of Asia's Only Time Will Tell as Pequod's chopper bursts triumphantly out of the flames having taken down the enemy chopper and like 2 walker gears.

Zambatoh

Just keep trying man. Like I said, lots of cover and lots of running.

Also pay attention to sounds of tanks firing. You can use their reload time as a window.

I've been running around. I run and I run, but somehow that white tank that shows up with the chopper always manages to one shot me with pinpoint accuracy. And the one the time it missed, and hit the ground several feet away from me, it still one-shotted me.

Top Bottom