• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Cubed

The boss fight/encounter is so poorly thought out. Only 2 opportunities to damage
Volgin
and then you don't even have enough time to call the chopper. I have the level 2 chopper body and even then I had to call it before I damaged him to be able to extract in time.

The more I play of this the more I think the moment to moment sneaking gameplay is the only thing that saves this from being complete trash. Which is a shame because that part is so fun.

Blame yourself. There are at least 4 different ways to beat the man on fire.

Man. The relative lack of checkpoints can be fucking punishing, and often not in a good way. Just blew a solid 45 minutes and got placed back before even approaching the area. Gotta put this down and come back a day or two later so I don't destroy my controller lol.

Blame yourself. There are at least 4 different ways to beat the man on fire.
OrbonneMonastery_71.jpg

Okay wow. Mission 42 Spoilers:
Chapter 2 is awful so far. The Extreme versions of things are just the Skulls so far, and the next on the list is the helicopter crash with Code Talker... a mission I thought was bullshit enough the first time round.

So now not only are the Skulls involved again, but its the mission where you HAVE to fight them to win.

Is there an easier way of taking down these armoured one that I don't know about? I have a maxed out rocket launcher (the second one) and it still does fuck all against these assholes.

Put sinfull butterfly on quiet, run around marking the adds, die.
Respawn kill all the adds, then kill boss's, free s rank.

SkylineRKR

It's the playstyle I have been rolling with since the start, I'd like to keep it that way. It'd be a huge misstep to force me into using lethal force when I might not be very invested in lethal weaponry because of it.

I don't think you can do this,
perhaps with a lot of patience if you grind for the shotgun. Or just solely counterattack them. And there is always stuff around to toy with if you have no weapons.

But to fulton them or rank, you don't need to do it. I did 28 with tranq sniper but it didn't make any difference.

WGMBY

Bump.Believe me, I'm truly sorry and embarrassed because I know my questions are dumb. But I gots to know!
To your first question, not as far as I can tell. It seems a lot of the required missions can be done out of order. Plot important ones will all unlock in order.

To the second, no idea, sorry.

Never used the D-Walker. Maybe I should give it a try.

I don't think I've used him even once since unlocking him. What I thought was odd about the buddy system in regards to D-Walker was building "trust". He's a robot. Put the 1 where the 0 was and have instant trust. Huey has failed us.

It's the playstyle I have been rolling with since the start, I'd like to keep it that way. It'd be a huge misstep to force me into using lethal force when I might not be very invested in lethal weaponry because of it.

This kinda bummed me out too. I had essentially non-lethal'd almost every mission and found it annoying having to go full battle mode to beat them.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Never used the D-Walker. Maybe I should give it a try.

It can really deal out damage. Make sure you upgrade.

So in mission 13, if I take out the handlers of the
child soldiers
, they run off and disappear. Apparently there's a secondary objective to extract them. I can't fulton them, so what do I do? Just tranq them all and call in the chopper?

In addition to fultoning them, children can be extracted by either putting them in the chopper or by putting them in a jeep and then fultoning the jeep.

Chapter 2 is awful so far. The Extreme versions of things are just the Skulls so far, and the next on the list is the helicopter crash with Code Talker... a mission I thought was bullshit enough the first time round.

So now not only are the Skulls involved again, but its the mission where you HAVE to fight them to win.

Is there an easier way of taking down these armoured one that I don't know about? I have a maxed out rocket launcher (the second one) and it still does fuck all against these assholes.

I got past that downed helicopter fight first try with this strategy: Get on the roof and fire rockets. If they are near the VIP then switch to an assault rifle. When you run out of rockets call in a supply drop. Dodge their rocks. It is that simple.

To be specific:
- Do all yellow Side Ops (except 150, you can do that after the true ending if you want but still a pretty important op)
- Listen to all yellow tapes
- Make sure you get a very important scene concerning
Huey
- Just keep grinding normal side ops while you're at it

The yellow tapes are definitely not required. They are recommended of course.

Hey guys, regarding Quiet. I got the cutscene of her by the chopper at Mb, but she hasn't joined yet. Do I just keep playing until she joins?

Yes. Eventually you will see a side op called Quiet. And then you can select her before a mission.

I don't know what the fuck is going on, honestly.

I finish mission 23, I get 20 rank E staff members for some reason, they get put into the security team. then I dismiss all of them, finish mission 24 and there I get them again. now just finished mission 25 and the same shit happens, except this time I can't dismiss them because of whatever happens after mission 25.

There is not really a point to dismissing security staff. The game seems to prioritize the more useful struts when you use R3 to sort them.

Ralemont

not me
The boss fight/encounter is so poorly thought out. Only 2 opportunities to damage
Volgin
and then you don't even have enough time to call the chopper. I have the level 2 chopper body and even then I had to call it before I damaged him to be able to extract in time.

The more I play of this the more I think the moment to moment sneaking gameplay is the only thing that saves this from being complete trash. Which is a shame because that part is so fun.

There are small water tanks in the warehouse, and if you use Quiet to distract him you can hide from him, call the chopper, and estract without him ever seeing you. Which is what I did.

Bumhead

Banned

That fight is absolute bullshit. It's legitimately one of the most cheap, frustrating encounters I've ever experienced in a videogame.

Unless you're hell bent on 100%ing the game, do yourself a favour and don't bother with the [Extreme] version. It's possible to finish the game without touching that garbage fight again. Go do some Side Ops until the next cutscene progresses the story again. Should only take a couple.

Finalow

so about post mission 25,
mother base quarantine.

the stupid solution is that
I need to see which language the people already in quarantine have in common. sure, problem is that they have 3 languages in common, not just Kikongo. how am I supposed to pick one?

Air shotgun, stun grenades, waterpistol.

The Skulls wont die though even if you use big guns. They always get stunned.

Sub_Level

mother base quarantine.

I need to see which language the people already in quarantine have in common. sure, problem is that they have 3 languages in common, not just Kikongo. how am I supposed to pick one?

Just go with that one.

To make the process faster remember you can use Square to select multiple people at once.

Had to make the difficult decision of firing a dozen people since each unit is near their current max limit and I don't have enough resources to build an additional platform for each of them They were all E ranks across the board and some of them have been around for a long time, but it still hurts to let them go. Those large containers should at the very least contain materials in quantities of over 1000

mother base quarantine.

Not all of them share the same three. But that one is used among all of them.

Finalow

There is not really a point to dismissing security staff. The game seems to prioritize the more useful struts when you use R3 to sort them.
there sure is a point, I don't want rank E staff in my MB.

and that still doesn't explain why the game keeps giving me 20 rank E soldiers for no reason.

SkylineRKR

Its a piece of shit.

But get on the roof, pepper them with rockets or LMG and let Quiet snipe with Sinful butterfly from the far away perch. All you need to do is dodge that cheap rock insta kill.

Disgraced

To your first question, not as far as I can tell. It seems a lot of the required missions can be done out of order. Plot important ones will all unlock in order.

To the second, no idea, sorry.
Sick, thanks for the response! I really appreciate it. Regarding my first question, reason I ask is (Missions 9 & 10 spoilers)
10 is a prisoner rescue mission that'd I'm currently much better equipped to handle than 9, which is a timed vehicle demolition mission. Plus there's a side op that'd be convenient to hit up on the way to 10. So it'd be better tactically, and really all around for me to do 10 right now and 9 later. But I was worried something might get messed up if I swapped it, even though neither of these missions seem particularly story-relevant.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Had to make the difficult decision of firing a dozen people since each unit is near their current max limit and I don't have enough resources to build an additional platform for each of them They were all E ranks across the board and some of them have been around for a long time, but it still hurts to let them go. Those large containers should at the very least contain materials in quantities of over 1000

There's a Waiting Room you can send them to. Those poor soldiers, now without a home, without a heaven.

Sub_Level

there sure is a point, I don't want rank E staff in my MB.

and that still doesn't explain why the game keeps giving me 20 rank E soldiers for no reason.

They are volunteers. You will always get different ranked staff that join up. They are automatically replaced if you sort with R3.

Hasney

I keep them in the waiting room. You never know when they'll be needed for security detail. Closing in on 2000 staff now.

Finalow

They are volunteers. You will always get different ranked staff that join up. They are automatically replaced if you sort with R3.
aren't volunteers coming from the combat mission or whatever? And there you usually see what rank you will get. that's not the case here, if you mean those volunteers.

replaced with who? If I sort them out they're still on the base, I just don't want to get them constantly like this.

Press R3 to sort them all at once. If you are at full capacity, leftovers will be sent to the waiting room.
see I'm not even close to full capacity, got a huge boost after creating a FOB. I still have to manually dismiss them I guess.

Sub_Level

aren't volunteers coming from the combat mission or whatever? That's not the case here.

replaced with who? If I sort them out they're still on the base, I just don't want to get them constantly like this.

After a certain point, volunteers will join of their own accord without you fultoning them. You don't have a choice in the matter.

Lower ranked staff will be replaced with higher ranked staff if you sort automatically to the best of their abilities.

Zambatoh

Still stuck on mission 45. I've been constantly on the move, calling in airstrikes, fultoning any vehicles that get to close. I AM ARMED TO THE BLOODY TEETH!
And I still can't finish this mission. Indirect hits from a tank cannon are enough to 1 shot you to death.

I'm about ready to give up at this point. This mission is just downright unwinnable.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Does anyone know if its possible to check how many items you have developed? I want to see how close I am to getting that trophy to develop 300 items.
If it is somewhere it is most likely under Trials or Records (something like that) that you can access from the ACC or maybe the pause menu.

Sub_Level

Do I need to do the
repeat
missions that are set at a higher difficulty to complete the story?

Do the yellow Side Ops and yellow Missions. When you have exhausted those you can do a Side Op then return to the ACC. You will know you are getting somewhere when you get more and more tapes on
Questiong Huey

Consider doing the hard missions though. They are not so bad :)

Whelp, only took me three fucking hours to
pacify The Quiet. The fight would have been a piece of cake if I just wanted to kill her. But trying to take her out with a tranq pistol was tough. She killed me twice when I was only a shot or two away from finishing her. Got that bitch in the end finally though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Too afraid to browse the thread, so apologies if this has been asked already - how is the play time calculated? Does it continue to tick while on PS home menu? I have completed 10% and the timer shows 27h, surely O can't have played that much... Right?

hank_tree

Still stuck on mission 45. I've been constantly on the move, calling in airstrikes, fultoning any vehicles that get to close. I AM ARMED TO THE BLOODY TEETH!
And I still can't finish this mission. Indirect hits from a tank cannon are enough to 1 shot you to death.

I'm about ready to give up at this point. This mission is just downright unwinnable.

Accept the little chicken hat. Most enemies will ignore you as long as you are not too close. Then you can just fulton the tanks etc. Prioritise the tanks at the back. They were what killed me the most.

Top Bottom