• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I've been running around. I run and I run, but somehow that white tank that shows up with the chopper always manages to one shot me with pinpoint accuracy. And the one the time it missed, and hit the ground several feet away from me, it still one-shotted me.

Well, another thing I suggest if you haven't done it already is shut the game off (yes, that would mean losing progress for now) and come back to it fresh after a while. Shit like this can really get on your nerves.

Random thoughts, up to Mission 31:

So who's side is Kid Mantis on? In the opening at the hospital he saves Big Boss from getting killed multiple times but he's working with Skullface who wants Big Boss dead. Then in one of the later missions he takes control of Sahelanthropus and tries to kill Big Boss... But then in Mission 30 it looks like he's working against Skullface.

Guess it's time to grind some side-ops :/

Ōkami

So who's side is Kid Mantis on? In the opening at the hospital he saves Big Boss from getting killed multiple times but he's working with Skullface who wants Big Boss dead. Then in one of the later missions he takes control of Sahelanthropus and tries to kill Big Boss... But then in Mission 30 it looks like he's working against Skullface.

Things are better explained later on.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

It's explained later in some tapes, but if you really want to know now
Basically, he's on the side of whoever is more vengeful than the other. Additionally, that person also assumes and controls his persona

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Eli makes a connection with Mantis which is why he turns against Skullface.

Also you don't have to just do Side Ops. Missions with a yellow dot should be done too.

MayMay

Banned
Soo.. about the ranks - it'd be cool of ppl could enlighten me.

Been successfully invading FOBs left and right, and in the end I get points that count towards my Espg. Rank?

What's the PF Rank for then? Still a "---" for me.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
COQkolCWcAExF0W.jpg

I love everything about this!

Sifl

Mission 23 spoilers:
I enjoyed shooting
Eli
with the Riot smg way too much. He can be stunlocked until you have to reload, he just kept falling over.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Mission 23 spoilers:
I enjoyed shooting
Eli
with the Riot smg way too much. He can be stunlocked until you have to reload, he just kept falling over.

Nice, didn't think of using that.

You can also punch the shit out of him with bionic arm lmao

Finally got a chance to start the game last night... a few general rambling impressions below (nothing particularly controversial or conclusive lol). Did a quick video summary of Peace Walker (didn't want to get burnt out on 'base management'; I have PW on PS3 and I liked it, but I've just never had the time/'inspiration' to really get into it) and then I plowed through Ground Zeros for the first time (I was saving it until now, though I already long ago had the GZ 'story' spoiled... still pretty intense though seeing it in-game with loud surround sound), and did the 4 side-ops that unlocked, too (that other thread seemed to suggest it was worth evacuating the The Finger and The Eye, so I did that but not sure if it worked... don't really want to use guides so if they didn't transfer, that's OK). So, dove in last night and put in about 5 hours...

First impression, prologue is intense and a bit disorienting. Felt like a survival horror... in a good one. One of the best prologues I've played, up there with GTA V. Amazing music and sound so far, probably the most... 'genius' or talented part of the game so far. Good open world design, you can sort of 'grunt' out but a talented score like GTA V or MGS V so far, takes a real ear and knack for finding the perfect songs. Reminded me of that quote that Koji had songs written but may have not used them because he was a perfectionist... dunno how accurate that is (the story or my description of it) but I can sense that so far in the story... 5 hours in, it's scored very well.

Other than that, core game feels solid. Gameplay is tight and runs well. I find it transitions between actions well... running to sprinting, diving to combat. I'm a bit unused to the cover, I've played so much GTA V and Deus Ex HR the last two years, I'm used to getting locked into cover. Gunplay feels pretty decent, I've had some good shootouts where even prone barely peeking over a rocky outcropping, you get a few ruskies moving on you with a wide breadth across the valley and they can tear into you pretty good... I think at least. Haven't died yet from regular troops but I tried to take on 6-7 guys once and my screen had quite a lot of 'film burn' lol. Only deaths so far have been the 'first sub boss' I guess
the Skulls. I figured I had to sneak past them by luring them toward me, but maybe I'm unused to their LOS (how far enemies in MGSV can see you from) so they spotted me twice... and destroyed me so easily as I tried to just 'race' to the LZ... third time I lured the the 2 right pretty far onto the bridge and was able to stealth by below the right side of the bridge.

One thing I didn't expected was I thought the maps had more persistence. Like, if you destroy a comms dish in one mission, and you go back and get a mission to destroy it, you gotta destroy it again. My first Afghan mission I did a whole bunch of story all over the map because I wanted to disrupt communications and such, not sure what exactly or how comms/supply work yet, but figured I'd take out dishes and power in like 4 different places. But then I still got reinforcements when I attacked the 4th place, and then after the mission I got new missions to go destroy everything again lol.

That said, not necessarily a bad thing... It actually maybe makes for more focused missions and that sort of 'layout' could let the game had more unique spawns/patrols/etc for each mission, and also make replaying different 'ideas' more easily. And I can still free roam, too, I noticed. I'll probably get a bit idea of what's persistent by tonight. Either way, no rush to find out and not a bad thing.... just my impressions.

Other than that, game feels solid. Everything seems well crafted. Superbly scored, tight gameplay, great world though a lot of 'cannot pass' bubbles in the middle of everywhere but I really like how troops seem to patrol/move/reinforce between outposts. And, as a XCOM, Suikoden, Dragon Age INQ, The Settlers, etc fan, super excited of what I've seen about Mother Base so far. I could see myself just replaying missions, doing MP, and managing my bases for a long time. But strongest mark so far as definitely been how the sound and music has been scored... just a lot of intense story and free roam/mission moments so far in the first 5-6 hours.

Spazznid

Mission 23 spoilers:
I enjoyed shooting
Eli

Got quiet to shoot his ass when I got tired of deflecting his attacks.

PensOwl

Banned
Does anyone know how to use the flashlight on the flash/laser module? I want to test if you can blind night vision dudes with it.

Two Words

I don't think I've used him even once since unlocking him. What I thought was odd about the buddy system in regards to D-Walker was building "trust". He's a robot. Put the 1 where the 0 was and have instant trust. Huey has failed us.

This kinda bummed me out too. I had essentially non-lethal'd almost every mission and found it annoying having to go full battle mode to beat them.
Maybe it is Snake building trust into the machine.

LeonSPBR

Soo.. about the ranks - it'd be cool of ppl could enlighten me.

Been successfully invading FOBs left and right, and in the end I get points that count towards my Espg. Rank?

What's the PF Rank for then? Still a "---" for me.

PF are point that you can exchange for material or people.

I just watched a youtube video of someone doing an FOB mission and they took every material crate they could find. So whoever was being attacked loses all of that?

LeonSPBR

Does anyone know how to use the flashlight on the flash/laser module? I want to test if you can blind night vision dudes with it.

Yes you can blind them. But at the same time, other people will see your light and will attract unwanted attention.

Wagram

Whoever created the helicopter routing in Mother Base is an asshole. He'll basically circle around the destination point five times for no apparent reason. In addition, traveling from one platform to another seems to take anywhere from 1-3 minutes.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Mission 18:
Lost my chopper in what was one of the most intense scenes ever. Still got my ass handed to me by soldiers. God, I was truly surrounded.

Whoever created the helicopter routing in Mother Base is an asshole. He'll basically circle around the destination point five times for no apparent reason. In addition, traveling from one platform to another seems to take anywhere from 1-3 minutes.

Cargo box fast travel is your friend.

Will M

Guys, I bought a lot of canned coffee yesterday...

Each case came with a mini MB supply box. You can see them all on the right side of the promo sign.
21238888521_59974fb572_o_d.jpg

LeonSPBR

Use the boxes, it's way faster and simple to do it.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

I imagine if you sell all of your mortars they would disappear from MB, but the amount you fulton doesn't seem proportional to the amount around MB. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think I've fultoned that many AA guns.

And you can sell walker gears but some dispatch missions require them I think. Is the GMP you get even worth it?

Can someone please tell me how to get the true ending ? There are conflicting info on the net and I don't want to venture on unsafe boards spoilers wise. Thanks.

Took a break around mission 22 to hit FOB missions hard.

I basically went into the "random" tab in the friendships/rivalries tab and allied myself with people with plenty of S-rank soldiers and multiple FOB struts, ie people who I thought would be likely to attacked frequently. Filled up my alliances with randos then started to do the support defenses.

Most of the time I would just get the high ground then scan around with Stingers. The lock-on will pick up intruders from ridiculous distances and is pretty generous with targeting. Once I get a hit with the stinger it's pretty much game over w/ combat alert. Also carried the rotary 'nade launcher for closer encounters, and a suppressed SMG for popping fulton balloons attached to cargo containers cross map.

I did about 30 defenses (I noticed that disconnecting then reconnecting to the servers would often give me another alert). Perfect defense success rate. Rewards are pretty good, it seems, considering I'm not in the end game yet? 4-5 A-rank soldiers per victory. Invading seems like it's INCREDIBLY hard, though. I don't think I saw a combat alert get triggered and not lead to the invader getting eliminated.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I love this.

And just finished the true ending.

Holy Shit.

Yes or no question, did you like it? Ending talk has me pretty sad about the game, so I wanna know if I should be prepared.

16BitNova

I love this.

And just finished the true ending.

Holy Shit.

There is more than one ending? I hope this isn't true. Just give me one real ending.

Edit: Can someone please post the requirements for this supposed true ending? Without spoilers of course. I just don't want to have to play through this game twice for a real ending. I'd really appreciate it.

Shauni

I seem to recall someone posted a custom cover from reddit that was in the style of a cheesy '90s VHS cover. I thought I saved it, but I can't find it in my pictures. Anybody got it or a link to it?

Top Bottom