• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Hasney

Post Mission 31 Spoilers
Do I NEED to do the harder difficulty missions? Or can I just make the story progress via doing side ops. I really don't want to replay missions. I just want to do side ops and progress the story.

I need this answered as well. Right now the only story mission I have unlocked that I haven't done is Episode 42 (it's a replay mission), and all of my unlocked "Important Side Ops" are completed. Do I progress the story with other random side ops like blue prints stuff?

I probably asked this yesterday too but it's really killing me

Pure side ops, baby

ZangBa

I thought mission 16 was going to be hard, but I just went prone and fultoned both the tank and vehicle right in front of all of them and no one cared, then I just crawled a bit away and ran to the end of the hot zone, lol.

Disgraced

Bump.
  • Are there any story bits that can be missed by breaking sequence and playing missions out of order? For example, say I do mission 10 before mission 9, was there a cutscene that's scripted to occur between those sequentially that is skipped if you do them in reverse? Or does everything important happen at some point regardless? And in this case I am actually specifically referring to missions 9 & 10.
  • I've heard whispers of a PT easter egg. There's a couple zones on the map where I've heard what sounds exactly like the squealing noise from PT. Without giving away how exactly I get the easter egg—are my ears deceiving me or are these things related? Yea or nay.
Believe me, I'm truly sorry and embarrassed because I know my questions are dumb. But I gots to know!

Anyone else enjoy just flying around Mother Base in the helicopter? He takes his sweet time too so you get a good run of the whole place.

DrSlek

So in mission 13, if I take out the handlers of the
child soldiers
, they run off and disappear. Apparently there's a secondary objective to extract them. I can't fulton them, so what do I do? Just tranq them all and call in the chopper?

XaosWolf

Okay wow. Mission 42 Spoilers:
Chapter 2 is awful so far. The Extreme versions of things are just the Skulls so far, and the next on the list is the helicopter crash with Code Talker... a mission I thought was bullshit enough the first time round.

So now not only are the Skulls involved again, but its the mission where you HAVE to fight them to win.

Is there an easier way of taking down these armoured one that I don't know about? I have a maxed out rocket launcher (the second one) and it still does fuck all against these assholes.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Pure side ops, baby

To be specific:
- Do all yellow Side Ops (except 150, you can do that after the true ending if you want but still a pretty important op)
- Listen to all yellow tapes
- Make sure you get a very important scene concerning
Huey
- Just keep grinding normal side ops while you're at it

Kurdel

Banned
I loved the cassette with Skullface and Code Talker
where you hear their DBZ fight.

Plus the whole bell business, it was amazing radio drama. It was meant to be super dramatic but Code Talkers read was hilarious. "What... Did you just do?" "Stop it!"

Zambatoh

I'm stuck on Episode 45. Even with rank 4 armor and a rank 4 Grom, these tanks somehow manage to keep killing me. Even when I'm inside the building, where their shells can't hit me, I just suddenly die for absolutely no reason at all. Even at full health, something just keeps one shot-ting me. I don't know what the hell his going on.

I'd abort the mission if I could, but nope! You can't abort this mission. I thought this would just be a routine stealth mission, but nope! Nobody said I'd be walking into a tank battle.
I had to manually order my equipment through the iDroid because for whatever reason, they won't let you go back to the load-out screen. Even if you hit restart mission, there's no way to back out.

Words cannot express how much this mission is infuriating me right now. Maybe something in Navajo or French.

Hasney

Chapter 2 is awful so far. The Extreme versions of things are just the Skulls so far, and the next on the list is the helicopter crash with Code Talker... a mission I thought was bullshit enough the first time round.

So now not only are the Skulls involved again, but its the mission where you HAVE to fight them to win.

Is there an easier way of taking down these armoured one that I don't know about? I have a maxed out rocket launcher (the second one) and it still does fuck all against these assholes.

do side ops instead of those missions to unlock the next story part. You don't need to touch the remixed missions

I thought mission 16 was going to be hard, but I just went prone and fultoned both the tank and vehicle right in front of all of them and no one cared, then I just crawled a bit away and ran to the end of the hot zone, lol.

It took me 4 more hours after I last wrote in this thread.

I had the chicken hat on, I fultoned it (had to grind side ops to get it, then grind to get grade 3 launcher). the tank drive past me, I sit in my box, I pop and heatshot the driver, the Skulls appear, I am right next to the truck. I fulton. They stop the fulton. I fulton immediately afterwards, mid animation. As I give quiet the shooting order. I had just put a helicopter flare (it cant land due to the mist) - Truck gets fultoned. I call D-Horse, I jump in the tank waiting for D-Horse, they go bananas- i try to shoot, they dont take damage. D-Horse appear, and I get on D-Horse as I jump out of tank.

Here is the difference: For all those hours I struggled, I walked within the hot zone. The hot zone is massive, and inside the zone the Skull will follow you forever being invincible. When I exited the hotzone running away from the gates of the airport, it worked immediately.

I cried with joy. And now I have to sleep.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

get on stop of a building and just spam them with rockets, after about 20 supply drops you'll have killed them all. It takes forever but it's easy.

Now and then they'll teleport up there to melee you but if you run away from them they walk back down.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Good gosh, I'm scared. Story has been fine so far trough my first 30 hours. If this is worst than MGS4 I'll be shocked but I'm worried now.

To be fair, if you are relatively new to the series, you might have your expectations in check better than hard core fans. Who knows, maybe you'll like it. Or maybe you won't.

Beat Quiet one on one with the 1* sniper rifle. Took a while but way more rewarding than using the box drop trick. Felt like a proper top class face off, especially as it started in the day and finished in the early hours.

Please. I beat her with just the tranq gun. It was a long and boring process, but I did it.

Gvitor

Mission 32 (no story spoilers)

I went on foot, 1km. There was a checkpoint 100m from the target, and the patrols were still calling for a vehicle. Died 2 times. Then I Threw a smoke grenade, fultoned the target, got out. Called the chopper, got on it, put the controller away and was enjoying The Man Who Sold the World when my chopper gets destroyed.

... when it boots up again, I'm back at the start of the mission instead of the original checkpoint. Worse than that, the checkpoint that happens after isn't the same as before, it's one further away, and the patrols are already with the car extracting the target.

I have no idea how checkpoints work in this game.

Nameless

The Zorn hand cannon is fucking awesome. Got me through mission
fairly easily -- it, and the trusty dive button.

justjim89

In episode 20 the boss fight/encounter is so poorly thought out. Only 2 opportunities to damage
Volgin
and then you don't even have enough time to call the chopper. I have the level 2 chopper body and even then I had to call it before I damaged him to be able to extract in time.

The more I play of this the more I think the moment to moment sneaking gameplay is the only thing that saves this from being complete trash. Which is a shame because that part is so fun.

MMarston

I'm stuck on Episode 45. Even with rank 4 armor and a rank 4 Grom, these tanks somehow manage to keep killing me. Even when I'm inside the building, where their shells can't hit me, I just suddenly die for absolutely no reason at all. Even at full health, something just keeps one shot-ting me. I don't know what the hell his going on.

I'd abort the mission if I could, but nope! You can't abort this mission. I thought this would just be a routine stealth mission, but nope! Nobody said I'd be walking into a tank battle.
I had to manually order my equipment through the iDroid because for whatever reason, they won't let you go back to the load-out screen. Even if you hit restart mission, there's no way to back out.

Words cannot express how much this mission is infuriating me right now. Maybe something in Navajo or French.
This mission legit had me kicking my couch but here are some tips that helped significantly on my numerous retries:
-
Make sure to utilize chopper and fire support as much as you can.
- Don't wait for the auto supply drops.
- If there's an opportunity to fulton closeby enemy BMPs, take that chance
- Make use of the building's cover. A LOT

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Is there a way to do Mission 29
nonlethal? I have tried using all manner of tricks and I'm completely out of guesses now. This is the first instance I've failed so many times that the game suggested I wear the Chicken Hat. ;-;

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Cleared Chapter 1 yesterday and really enjoyed the last part.
I wonder how long it will take me to beat Chapter 2 given that I'm only interested in the new story missions, including 45/46.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
How do you change your chopper type? I have the second and third developed but it says I only have the first equipped.

koryuken

Hey guys, regarding Quiet. I got the cutscene of her by the chopper at Mb, but she hasn't joined yet. Do I just keep playing until she joins?

Finalow

I don't know what the fuck is going on, honestly.

I finish mission 23, I get 20 rank E staff members for some reason, they get put into the security team. then I dismiss all of them, finish mission 24 and there I get them again. now just finished mission 25 and the same shit happens, except this time I can't dismiss them because of whatever happens after mission 25.

Zambatoh

This mission legit had me kicking my couch but here are some tips that helped significantly on my numerous retries:
-
Make sure to utilize chopper and fire support as much as you can.
- Don't wait for the auto supply drops.
- If there's an opportunity to fulton closeby enemy BMPs, take that chance
- Make use of the building's cover. A LOT

That's exactly what I've been doing. But something keeps killing me and I don't know what it is. It always happens shortly after the chopper shows up.

epmode

How do you change your chopper type? I have the second and third developed but it says I only have the first equipped.

I think it's done in the Customize menu on the mobile command platform thing. You know, when you're on the chopper in between missions.

The best way to beat her is using
stun grenades, it takes 2-3 and she is out.

The funniest way though is
call in a supply drop on her location. The box will break over her head and take out half her psyche bar.

I initiated the mission before I was well supplied, and I was too stubborn to go back and get what I needed. So the only thing that could knock her out that I had was my tranq pistol.

Go to the ACC/chopper and enter the customize menu. It's how you customize all mechanical equipment in the game.

They really should've explained that part better. I think I went 30 hours before realising I had to do that...

MMarston

That's exactly what I've been doing. But something keeps killing me and I don't know what it is. It always happens shortly after the chopper shows up.

It's most likely the tank shells which is why I can't emphasize that last point enough. Also important to run around a lot too while you're at it. In fact, don't fire at them from the same spot more than once

Also, here's a vague tip for the ending part of that mission
Follow those footsteps

Window

I had a lot of trouble with it just using normal weapons but using D-Walker with the gatling gun made it a piece of cake
(at least on normal but I can't imagine it being too much more difficult on extreme as it was really easy on normal with the walker)

Edit: oh wait, are you allowed buddies on extreme?

Top Bottom