• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

KingBroly

Banned
Some people need to learn how to spoiler tag, seriously. Or at least use the SPOILER thread.

Mission 12. Fuck. What a rush of weird things and survival horror

Spazznid

Some people need to learn how to spoiler tag, seriously. Or at least use the SPOILER thread.

Mission 12. Fuck. What a rush of weird things and survival horror

I agree with Kenz, either this post is purposefully Ironic, or you are an idiot.

How is someone supposed to know what the spoiler is about without reading it?

Proper spoiler would be this:

Spoiler for Mission 12.
Fuck. What a rush of weird things and survival horror

Alo0oy

Banned
Is it just me, or is being stingy with the kills is a bad idea in the first playthrough?

Thankfully I realized this relatively early, I should play this like the Last of Us instead of a traditional Metal Gear, half the fun is getting caught and trying to improvise on-the-fly.

I finished
mission and 80 side ops with about 30 kills. Most of my deaths have been trying to survive getting caught using only the tranq gun.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Damn it.

Got pretty burned by the Checkpoint system for the first time.

Mission 9 I think it was.. After a ton of traversal, ambushing, resupplies, etc etc etc. and what ended up being an awesome mission, I died stupidly on an option target of opportunity. Restarted the entire mission.

That said, love this game.

Need to get further.

dmshaposv

No MGS game has ever made me feel like true world renowned soldier like V.

The feeling of getting dropped in a hot zone, tackling an outpost with a myriad of gadgets and hauling ass when it all goes to shit/slinking out when your mission is complete.

Then cinematically returning to Mother Base a bloody stained mess with your troops saluting you as you arrive, before proceeding to CQC the troublemakers in the base.

Good Lord this game is soooo good.

It's burrowed it's way into my brain and it's all I think about at work/when driving/eating/taking a shit.

God bless you Hideo.

Despite everything, this game actually makes me feel like a BAWS, playing it. I haven't felt like a badass in a game since Arkham Asylum.

Yes the helicopter landing/taking off sequence takes time and gets annoying when you just want to jump in and out of side-ops - but fuck does it feel badass to go in and get out bloodied and battered after shit went down.

Is it just me, or is being stingy with the kills is a bad idea in the first playthrough?

Thankfully I realized this relatively early, I should play this like the Last of Us instead of a traditional Metal Gear, half the fun is getting caught and trying to improvise on-the-fly.

Yeah, I kill when I have to. This is Big Boss and not Solid Snake.

Spazznid

How long do you have to stay hidden after getting spotted? Feels like 5 minutes

After a few seconds, the enemy will assume you are where you were last spotted. They will proceed to shoot in the general area and maybe investigate. Then, a minute later, they will call in that they've lost sight of you and definitely investigate the area you were last spotted. After searching for about a minute, they will call in that they can't find you or, if you've left some corpses or sleepers, they'll go into light alert mode, changing up their movement, as well as being more observant. This won't end for a LONG time.

Best thing to do is use their movements as a guide. Lose sight of them, then move around them. They are mega jumpy at that stage, and distracting them will be easy, but they are also more trigger happy when they have an idea where you are.

This isn't MGS2 or 3, guards aren't retarded goldfish. They won't assume the crazy horned super soldier just up and left after killing one or two of their dudes.

Roll with the punches, and change with their changes.

episode 16

what a god damned mess i've become

shirt off cuz my anger is raising my body temperature. sweating in my boxers, wanting to scream

episode 16

Hasney

This tranq sniper is fucking terrible, cant hit shit thats more then 50m away especially with helmets. Having more then a 4x scope would help.

This riot smg sucks ass too, might as well be using the water pistol.

They just need upgrades. The tranq sniper in-particular is so good it's almost a crutch, especially with 2-8x variable zoom. Even with helmets, if you can't get a clear shot of their face, a quick shot to the arm and it's now powerful enough that they drop in about 3 seconds.

QUIET SPOILERS!!!!!

So I'm watching the VA and body model of Quiet play some MGSV and-

Wait.

Wait wait wait.

The fucking woman who comes in and kills the nurses and doctor then gets set on fire is Quiet?!?! How the ever loving fuck did I not notice that?!?!

I don't understand, I rescued a prisoner, took her to a safe location and used the Fulton, then the voice over said prisoner has died.

Spazznid

Despite everything, this game actually makes me feel like a BAWS, playing it. I haven't felt like a badass in a game since Arkham Asylum.

Yes the helicopter landing/taking off sequence takes time and gets annoying when you just want to jump in and out of side-ops - but fuck does it feel badass to go in and get out bloodied and battered after shit went down.

The fact that you get a beautiful view of your performance as gunpowder, blood, and general death trophies, after a mission is great. Seeing my soldier covered in blood, attached to a saline bag from being out too long, is the best.

sqFtrwd.png

I don't understand, I rescued a prisoner, took her to a safe location and used the Fulton, then the voice over said prisoner has died.

Probably was injured.

The fact that you get a beautiful view of your performance as gunpowder, blood, and general death trophies, after a mission is great. Seeing my soldier covered in blood, attached to a saline bag from being out too long, is the best.

sqFtrwd.png

She's seen stuff.

Hammer24

Banned
Is this game buggy, or am I missing something?
There are two early rescue side missions - whenever I finish one of them the other reverts back to unfinished. I don´t get it.

KingBroly

Banned
I agree with Kenz, either this post is purposefully Ironic, or you are an idiot.

How is someone supposed to know what the spoiler is about without reading it?

Proper spoiler would be this:

Spoiler for Mission 12.
Fuck. What a rush of weird things and survival horror

Well sorry.

Hasney

Is this game buggy, or am I missing something?
There are two early rescue side missions - whenever I finish one of them the other reverts back to unfinished. I don´t get it.

Is there a tick next to it? If so,it's done. Side ops and missions can just be replayed when you like.

Yup. It's a pain. And, since I roll with Quiet, I have to find a car to drive around the long distances to get from side op to side op (at least the ones I can that don't require the ACC to update... )

Yeah I usually am not patient enough to search for any wheels so I call in my Walking Gear and use it to get around which ends up just wasting GMP.

I wonder why they put that restriction there. You can drive around the areas seamlessly so it's not like there is ever a need to load. And you can get where you want anyway by just going to the ACC so it can't even really be a balance issue...

Kinda mind boggling that a detail like that might have been overlooked. I mean when I first saw how the Heli was used in GZ along with them touting the open world nature of the game I absolutely expected to be able to jump around from point to point with the heli.

Spazznid

The injured ones just don't let you fulton them though. It just comes up with a stop sign through it.

Actually, if a character gets injured over time, say, by getting shot a bunch, then the fulton % goes down. Try shooting a gurad a few times in the legs instead of tranqing them. They'll be on the ground in agony and the % is low.

Man ive been too busy to play as much as i hoped so far but i know exactly how you feel

I hate work so much right now. Any time spent being productive is time away from moaar Metal Gear haha.

I am right there with you, love this game.

It's definitely the best game of this new generation so far.

This. Game is an incredible experience. One of the most memorable and glorious of the last several years for me. Everything feels so right.

Surely I'm not the only one who finds this incarnation of Big Boss my favourite of the series? I listen to every tape as well and I think he works wonderfully in the context of the story. There are instances of muteness that actually work in certain scenes where others might think he should be reacting.

Simply put if you're a die hard MGS fan, after a few hours you know this is the final perfect form of Metal Gear Hideo always wanted the franchise to assume.

The only thing slightly missing are the cutscenes and story but I'm early on so maybe it gets better!

It can get maybe a tad tedious yes, but the feeling of arriving back to an ever sprawling Mother Base for instance is awesome.

I take Helicopter arrivals/departures as time to decompress or prepare myself for what's up next.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Without any spoilers being tossed my way, is the game really unfinished? I read in some reviews that this is the case, but managed to avoid every spoiler so far. Should I be worried?

Banzai

Yeah I usually am not patient enough to search for any wheels so I call in my Walking Gear and use it to get around which ends up just wasting GMP.

I wonder why they put that restriction there. You can drive around the areas seamlessly so it's not like there is ever a need to load. And you can get where you want anyway by just going to the ACC so it can't even really be a balance issue...

Kinda mind boggling that a detail like that might have been overlooked. I mean when I first saw how the Heli was used in GZ along with them touting the open world nature of the game I absolutely expected to be able to jump around from point to point with the heli.

While I agree, there is the carboard box fast travel at least.

I imagine they might have had problems with pathing for the chopper. Maybe they didn't want the chopper to just fly over hot zones all the time and alert people.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Without any spoilers being tossed my way, is the game really unfinished? I read in some reviews that this is the case, but managed to avoid every spoiler so far. Should I be worried?

Unfinished? What does that even mean?

Granted I am not too far in, but the game is pretty damned polished, and the reception scores wise, and from fans, has been excellent. So what, in the context, could unfinished mean?

Nuke Soda

Beat mission 25 and now I am stumped:
A virus is killing my people and Ocelot and Miller want me to do all the work. So how do I identify those infected?

Hammer24

Banned
Is there a tick next to it? If so,it's done. Side ops and missions can just be replayed when you like.

The tick is there, but it isn´t grayed out anymore like the others, and pays GMP again.
And it sucks, because in the overview it is marked again as "new mission".

Only one subplot is left unresolved. You can watch it as a YouTube clip though. I liked the ending a lot.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
A virus is killing my people and Ocelot and Miller want me to do all the work. So how do I identify those infected?

Listen to the tapes and look closely at the infected and people who died to the infection. They share a common trait.

If you don't feel like doing that, here is the answer.
They speak Kikongo

sonto340

There's only one thing every single soldier they've already quarantined has in common. You can suds it out just from the iDroid Click the second spoiler if you just want the answer.

its people who speak Kikongo

Corpsepyre

Banned
Unfinished? What does that even mean?

Granted I am not too far in, but the game is pretty damned polished, and the reception scores wise, and from fans, has been excellent. So what, in the context, could unfinished mean?

Something to do with the story. I can't say as I don't know, but I've seen a number of reviews on Metacritic saying this.

Guess it's been confirmed by one poster here just now. Oh well.

Nuke Soda

Listen to the tapes and look closely at the infected and people who died to the infection. They share a common trait.

If you don't feel like doing that, here is the answer.
They speak Kikongo

I am incredibly lazy and I thank you, my guess was
Russian, they all seemed to speak that. Though I thought the language thing was a crazy theory.

sonto340

I am incredibly lazy and I thank you, my guess was
Russian, they all seemed to speak that. Though I thought the language thing was a crazy theory.
It is crazy lol.
miller even says as much when you successfully quarantine them. Just remember you can select multiple staff by pressing X/Square so you don't have to do it one at a time.

Haunted

D-Walker 4 lyfe

I would've given Quiet a shot as my buddy if she had better outfits.

Man there were a billion better thread title mentions in the previous thread. This shit is so melodramatic.
THANK YOU LORD KOJIMA US THE METAL GEAR COMMUNITY WILL NEVER FORGET YOU FOR THIS TRIP IM CRYING
:lol

Thread title is appropriately meta commentary on the fanbase in general, so I approve.

Greddleok

Is there a wiki that explains how heroism works? There are so many little mechanics in this game that I have no idea what they do. Like why do I get a weird evil chime when I murder a guard?

Cade

There we go. Maybe I needed
100000 Heroism
? Either way I unlocked
Mission 46
so here I go!

Top Bottom