• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

God knows how many hours I've clocked in now. This game is damn ambitious. It looks like Gaf has had its enormously high MGSV hopes dashed just a tad, but - I can't help but admire this game.

As a lot of people have mentioned, the on-field mechanics of controlling Snake are like butter. You have huge agency in terms of enemy approach. You really feel as though you can do anything. It's an amazing sensation, but it also gives way to one of the biggest faults I can detect in MGSV - and it's a failing that no comparable open-world game has, to my knowledge, overcome.

When you create a game designed to be played in an open-ended way, with huge options, and a huge arsenal of abilities behind the player character, you create a need for a very high amount of assets. You need tons of things the player can interact with in satisfying and logical ways to create the illusion of freedom, and to give the player a sense that they have real impact on the game world.

In a NES game it's easy to create the necessary assets to help the player feel engaged because the amount of control you can give the player is much more limited anyway. In a game like MGSV... Well, the amount of ways you can enter a base is all ready staggering when thinking on a technical level, or a level of appreciation for the workmanship that has been poured into this behemoth. But we play games to be immersed in the mechanics, the world, the narrative. We play them to experience something.

When the game world is so sprawling, so open; when the player has so much control, the actions the player can take are never going to feel like enough, especially in a realistic game with realistic models and environments. And, it was a commendable effort - this game is fucking... the situations you find yourself in... it's a real achievement by Kojima productions. But I think the failing is that they promised too much.

I will reiterate that this game blows me away.

It's so easy to wish you could do more in a game - it's just such a huge money-sink for devs to meet that demand. The amount of money, the amount of man-power a developer would need to really flesh this thing out... it's... I mean you can see why devs sort of dropped like flies in the transition to the era of HD gaming. How do you justify the extreme costs of making big games? It's easy to see why big and successful companies are afraid to change their bread-winning formulas. If your game is a flop - that's got to hurt.

Konami might be praised for having the balls to let Kojima run as free and wild for as long as he did... I mean he must have been eating through funds like Pacman!
Oh wait, that's Namco.
Fuck.
I do wonder how much more Kojima Prod could have nutted into more stuff for the overworld had they chose to present Mother Base differently. If it was a menu instead (though this game is full of 'em) perhaps it would have worked out better. Clearly Kojima imagined a game so dense, so large, so full that no company could realistically handle it from a business stand-point.

The gameplay is insane good. It's like, it's so good.

Another thing I'll quickly mention is that the game's presentation irks me. It's all gritty and realistic, so the MGSesque shit in MGSV seems out of place. There's a bit of identity crisis here. Quiet's hot. Also Venom doesn't seem like the same character. MGSV seems like a "what-if" slice of canon to me.

This game is brilliant, absoulutely amazing.

Quiet's hot
I think I finally understand Quiet's role in MGSV, for real this time.

Thanks for the insight.

I can't seem to find that, wonder if I am not far enough into the story yet........
There's multiple sub tabs listed on the top--make sure you cycle through them to the proper list.

Rest assured that if you can fulton items of that size you can also sell them.

Alo0oy

Banned
Can you guys point me in the direction a good Metal Gear story synopsis video, from what I can tell everyone and their sister seems to have made one for the TPP release.

Don't bother. They're useless if you want to understand Big Boss's story.

Just watch the cutscenes for MGS3 -> Peace Walker and then play this game. Those are the games you need to play to understand the story.

Metal Gear Solid 1/2/4 are not needed for this, and they're just going to confuse you, it takes multiple playthroughs to understand the story in those games (especially 2), and that's with downtime between each cutscene (although I was like 12 when I played it so it might take just one playthrough to understand it for a grown up).

The Phantom Pain is a prequel to Metal Gear 1 and a direct sequel to MGS3 and Peace Walker.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
How do I sell things (like Mortars and Gun Emplacements) that I've fulton'd back to Mother base?

iDroid > Resources (on the left). I don't know if there's a reason to keep all the mortars and MG's and stuff, but I'm pretty sure you can sell vehicles (though keep some because you need them sometimes for combat deployment missions)

Kuldar

I think I need help.

Everytime I launch the game, I tell to myself "ok I will do a main mission". Then I go in free roam and it's suddenly midnight and I have 50 more soldiers at motherbase. I'm only at mission 7, I don't even have the medibay and the combat bay. x_x

Non spoiler, but apparently if you shoot enough guards in the dick, they start deploying female guards.

brb(might be unconfirmed)
OK, I know what I will do tonight, this will not help me to do main missions...

ugly

takes multiple playthroughs to understand the story in those games (especially 2), and that's with downtime between each cutscene (although I was like 12 when I played it so it might take just one playthrough to understand it for a grown up).

Haha, I'm in the same boat there.

Hasney

But killing people doesn't affect heroism. You only lose heroism when you're detected. You can murder a bunch of guards and won't get any - heroism prompts.

I think there are some actions where it decreases heroism but doesn't increase demon score.

I know, I'm talking the two different points in his post specifically. Probably didn't make that clear, but different you can have both high.

The one thing I've read that apparently increases demonism and reduces heroism in a big way
is building a nuke

A-V-B

I know, I'm talking the two different points in his post specifically. Probably didn't make that clear, but different you can have both high.

The one thing I've read that apparently increases demonism and reduces heroism in a big way
is building a nuke

So playing the FOB game turns you into a demon.

Kojima, a man still ahead of his time.

raven777

is building a nuke

Is there any way to check your demon score?

Setsuna

armor spoiler

Where do I get the
Mist Parasite
for the
Parasite
Suit?

And do I need to continually do those missions in order to collect the
Parasites
for the
suit

Hasney

So playing the FOB game turns you into a demon.

Kojima, a man still ahead of his time.

Nah,
You don't have to have a nuke. The level of my security is deterrent enough so I won't be building one until I need that trophy.

Shame I can't dispose of nukes without one, though.

Greddleok

is building a nuke

Oh Ok, sorry I misunderstood. Is demon score tracked anywhere?

Hasney

Is there any way to check your demon score?

Oh Ok, sorry I misunderstood. Is demon score tracked anywhere?

You can't see the demon score, but the strategy guide lays out what affects it.
Building a nuke, killing enemy soldiers and being aggressive to diamond dogs and your buddies give you demon points. As they get higher and higher the horn grows. Eventually you will become Demon Snake. To get rid of demon points you need to extract wild life, (the rarer the more points it takes away) as well as children and prisoners.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
What's the Espionage Rating for....?

Heroism basically puts better guards out in the field for you to recruit. Killing people reduces heroism and also puts your demon score up, which increases the length of your horn.

Oh really? That's awesome. Where's the Demon Score located?

Hasney

What's the Espionage Rating for....?

Oh really? That's awesome. Where's the Demon Score located?

Espionage is for the FOB mode. The better you do, the higher you score. Can't wait to get home and see my leaderboard rank as they're only updated once a day and I was top 500 last night.

It's not unfortunately, you gotta look how big your horn is.

armor spoiler

Where do I get the
Mist Parasite
for the
Parasite
Suit?

And do I need to continually do those missions in order to collect the
Parasites
for the
suit

Armor spoiler:
mist Parasites are from the snipers I believe. And any time you use the suit's powers, a certain number of parasites are really consumed, just like any other resource.

Greddleok

Building a nuke, killing enemy soldiers and being aggressive to diamond dogs and your buddies give you demon points. As they get higher and higher the horn grows. Eventually you will become Demon Snake. To get rid of demon points you need to extract wild life, (the rarer the more points it takes away) as well as children and prisoners.

Huh, ok.
I kill a lot of people, but I also extract a ton of wildlife. I guess that why I've not noticed anything.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Espionage is for the FOB mode. The better you do, the higher you score. Can't wait to get home and see my leaderboard rank as they're only updated once a day and I was top 500 last night.

But I haven't reached the FOB yet, yet I have an Espionage Rank. Odd.

It's not, you gotta look how big your horn is.

Mine hasn't changed... but then I've only killed a handful of peeps (love those Foxhound Emblems a little too much). May have to do a full demon run at some point in the future, see how far it can go.

Hasney

But I haven't reached the FOB yet, yet I have an Espionage Rank. Odd.

Mine hasn't changed... but then I've only killed a handful of peeps (love those Foxhound Emblems a little too much). May have to do a full demon run at some point in the future, see how far it can go.

Yeah, you still get a rank, you'll just be low on the leaderboard which is probably why the number is so high as it shows rank rather than points for some reason.

Just (FOB/post mission 31 spoilers)
build a nuke and it should max it out pretty much

Cyborg

I dont get those ranks. In the next mission Saving
Emmerich
I did it 100% stelath, no kills, no alerts, fultoned 30 people, interogated 30, 18 tactical takedowns

And I got C rank! WTF? How the hell are the ranks determined

SomTervo

YOU MONSTER.

I find it hard killing people. I'm taking the game slow, so I'm constantly trying to get Perfect Stealth on the main missions. Even when I shoot someone, it's purely to wound.

I was wondering where you'd been, Meaty.

On this topic, I leave every guard who isn't good enough face-down in the mud or concrete. Awake. Shaking. Afraid. Afraid that at any moment I might appear and kick them in the crotch and balloon them away.

But I never do. I never do.

hamchan

Emmerich
I did it 100% stelath, no kills, no alerts, fultoned 30 people, interogated 30, 18 tactical takedowns

Speed is a big scorer.

Hasney

Emmerich

Probably need to do it quicker. Time seems to affect things a lot (and watching cutscenes adds to that time).

I personally didn't worry about ranks first time, I'll go back and get those S's.

SomTervo

Emmerich

Rank is 80% speed. Try doing the same mission in under 15 minutes. That'll probably get you to an A at least, on the speed bonus alone.

You need over 130k points in many missions to get S-rank, and you get mad amounts of points for finishing in under 15 mins.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I usually kill everyone who I don't want to fulton.

Same. I pop people in the head when their stats aren't good enough to be worth it, which seems pretty messed up but frankly their own fault for only having a C in intel.

Prismo

Neo Member
Don't bother. They're useless if you want to understand Big Boss's story.

Just watch the cutscenes for MGS3 -> Peace Walker and then play this game. Those are the games you need to play to understand the story.

Metal Gear Solid 1/2/4 are not needed for this, and they're just going to confuse you, it takes multiple playthroughs to understand the story in those games (especially 2), and that's with downtime between each cutscene (although I was like 12 when I played it so it might take just one playthrough to understand it for a grown up).

The Phantom Pain is a prequel to Metal Gear 1 and a direct sequel to MGS3 and Peace Walker.

Cheers. Good to know. Actually I played 1 and 2 when I was a kid, but fell off after that. I've found the Metal Gear Solid Movies on youtube, so I guess I can just watch 3 and Peacewalker and be good to go.

Character spoiler:

I love how Huey is kinda sleazy and untrustworthy dude in this. Just listened the tape about Strangeloves corpse. WTF??

Greddleok

I fulton everyone. I think it's an OCD thing at this point.

I started doing runs where I'd go into a side-op run with nothing. The cheapest stuff I had. I think it was an unsilenced pistol, an AK-47 and a magazine for distractions.
I'd then procure everything I needed from guards I killed.

It's actually really fun, you have to play very differently. Also, the main reason I did it, was because I never have any GMP, because I kept fultoning every single thing I found.

Hasney

I started doing runs where I'd go into a side-op run with nothing. The cheapest stuff I had. I think it was an unsilenced pistol, an AK-47 and a magazine for distractions.
I'd then procure everything I needed from guards I killed.

It's actually really fun, you have to play very differently. Also, the main reason I did it, was because I never have any GMP, because I kept fultoning every single thing I found.

Hah yeah, if I do an FOB with someone with a ton of resources, I lose like 200k GMP just from fultoning all the containers.

I've also done that with the side ops. Water pistol only runs are really fun.

Chariot

Shit, it counts badly when I am a dick to my people? Damn, I was just ramming into them every change I got. I also tranq sniper people while waiting on the helicopter >_>
But it would make a funny turn.

"Big Boss really became a demon. I mean, did you see what a dick he was on Mother Base? Truly a monster."

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I was wondering where you'd been, Meaty.

Hey man, how's it going? I've been taking the game nice and slow (just finished Episode 11) and trying to avoid spoilers... but some oblivious dung heaps keep putting them in thread titles, hence why I've been playing it low key.

On this topic, I leave every guard who isn't good enough face-down in the mud or concrete. Awake. Shaking. Afraid. Afraid that at any moment I might appear and kick them in the crotch and balloon them away.

But I never do. I never do.

The legend of the One-Eyed Balloon King lives on.

Top Bottom