• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Jintor

Episode 43

"Snake! If anybody shows symptoms, you've got to eliminate them!"

*find person clawing at their throat
*shoot them
*fail mission

woo

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
There we go. Maybe I needed
100000 Heroism
? Either way I unlocked
Mission 46
so here I go!

just finished it. uh. time to go to the spoiler thread I guess, but I can see where the complaints are coming from

Arkanius

QUIET SPOILERS!!!!!

So I'm watching the VA and body model of Quiet play some MGSV and-

Wait.

Wait wait wait.

The fucking woman who comes in and kills the nurses and doctor then gets set on fire is Quiet?!?! How the ever loving fuck did I not notice that?!?!

Yeah, most people don't notice it. People who have been exposed to the game through trailers and stuff notice it because they know the character already.

Hasney

Is there a wiki that explains how heroism works? There are so many little mechanics in this game that I have no idea what they do. Like why do I get a weird evil chime when I murder a guard?

Heroism basically puts better guards out in the field for you to recruit. Killing people reduces heroism and also puts your demon score up, which increases the length of your horn.

Episode 21:

I'm so upset right now.
I had to restart the mission a few times, since I knew how I wanted to do it and screwed it up a couple times. For the first few tries, I went through a building and got the Gloria cassette tape. But the final try, I just rushed right to the spot I wanted to snipe from (1 shot fired 1 shot hit on the mission by the way, it was a pretty sweet headshot) but I forgot to grab the gloria tape. I'm gonna have to go back and raid the airport on my OWN TIME now. Just to get that tape.

Alo0oy

Banned
Reading the response to TPP in other threads, I knew that the people that hated Peace Walker were going to hate this, I said so in the GT ranks the Metal Gears thread.

Doesn't matter to me, I loved PW and so far TPP is my GOTY, and the best video game probably since Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2.

Asking again because of how fast this thread goes : someone simeone please tell me how to get the true ending ? There are conflicting info on the net and I don't want to venture on unsafe boards spoilers wise. I got the mossion 46 but not the 45... Thanks.

Alo0oy

Banned
Non spoiler, but apparently if you shoot enough guards in the dick, they start deploying female guards.

brb(might be unconfirmed)

Oh god, please be true. It sounds like something Kojima would do so it's possible.

Please report back so I can give all the guards blue balls, my Motherbase is a sausagefest right now.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
WHOAHOOOOOOOOO

20617314504_fc0962a0f8_o.jpg

Wasn't as hard as I'd expected, even
without Quiet.

Greddleok

Heroism basically puts better guards out in the field for you to recruit. Killing people reduces heroism and also puts your demon score up, which increases the length of your horn.

But killing people doesn't affect heroism. You only lose heroism when you're detected. You can murder a bunch of guards and won't get any - heroism prompts.

raven777

Is there a wiki that explains how heroism works? There are so many little mechanics in this game that I have no idea what they do. Like why do I get a weird evil chime when I murder a guard?

From the guide I have (might be spoiler to some so I will spoiler tag)

If you get over 150,000 heroism mark you become 'Hero' and unlock that achievement. It also enables you to infiltrate all rival FOBs, including ones with Nukes. You will lose your 'Hero' status if your heroism decreases to below 100,000
There are so many ways to increase your heroism values, some are once only and some are repeatable

Durden77

Ah man...something really lame happened in mission 12 that I guess was a glitch...

After avoiding the Selanthra-whatever and making it in the chopper, the game wouldn't let me use the chopper's mini gun. The prompt showed up for split second then dissappeared. I shot the turrets down with an AR, but when it charged at the chopper I had to die and restart.

Sucks too, I made a pretty sick escape with D-Horse.

Alo0oy

Banned
WHOAHOOOOOOOOO

20617314504_fc0962a0f8_o.jpg

Wasn't as hard as I'd expected, even
without Quiet.

I didn't start doing S-Ranks yet as I'm still going through the main story and side ops, but if it's like Peace Walker, there are enough (very expensive) powerful upgrades that made the road to S-Ranking everything pretty trivial, but still fun nonetheless.

Banzai

Ah man...something really lame happened in mission 12 that I guess was a glitch...

After avoiding the Selanthra-whatever and making it in the chopper, the game wouldn't let me use the chopper's mini gun. The prompt showed up for split second then dissappeared. I shot the turrets down with an AR, but when it charged at the chopper I had to die and restart.

Sucks too, I made a pretty sick escape with D-Horse.

To use the minigun you have to look to the right or left depending on which side you're sitting.

raven777

I think there are some actions where it decreases heroism but doesn't increase demon score.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mission 28 was outstanding.
The sniper boss fight was super intense and enjoyable. Difficult enough to really lay on the pressure in a large playspace. Then pushing through to the mansion, working out how to get in, and then exiting as a gunship circled over head really highlighted the stealth systems. I adore mission arcs like this.

Mission 29 however is horrendous.
Fuck arena fights, they're bullshit if you've adopted to a particular playstyle. Fuck the armoured Skull units, which are devoid of any entertainment to fight. The fact the mission is integrated as a major story setpiece, yet pauses the episodic flow so, if you need to, you can go and grind for gear and shit elsewhere just highlights how rubbish their integration is. It's like the game consciously going "oh we know this doesn't work, so lets disrupt the flow illogically so we can force it to work". They exist because someone thought "the story needs this moment" and neglected to consider if it played well. It doesn't.
Yes, I mad.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Guard readiness is a great feature, especially how it slowly builds. Wouldn't be surprised if there were some hidden bits and pieces in there. Apparently they can get night vision goggles eventually, but I haven't hit that yet. They don't seem to ever deploy heavy armour, which would have made things super interesting. Though maybe they do if you play aggressively explosive.

Guard readiness is a great feature, especially how it slowly builds. Wouldn't be surprised if there were some hidden bits and pieces in there. Apparently they can get night vision goggles eventually, but I haven't hit that yet. They don't seem to ever deploy heavy armour, which would have made things super interesting. Though maybe they do if you play aggressively explosive.

I've seen them use NVG quite a bit, but not as much as lately.

Jintor

Everybody's in ducking riot suits. I don't even use explosives that much.
Guess they got sick of quiet tranquing everybody

ramyeon

A lot of outposts have started using a bunch of decoys in my game. Is this due to them adapting to some tactics I use or just a normal progression as you get further in the game?

I thought I was done,

Fooled me with those long ass credits

Then it hits me with that "To Be Continued"
and I'm just stunned now, I can't even play my mind is fucked

The sniper boss fight was super intense and enjoyable. Difficult enough to really lay on the pressure in a large playspace. Then pushing through to the mansion, working out how to get in, and then exiting as a gunship circled over head really highlighted the stealth systems. I adore mission arcs like this.
Heh,
I did not even fight the sniping skulls.

#Stealth2gud

Alo0oy

Banned

They do deploy in body armor, but you can get rid of that (and NVG, helmets..etc) in dispatch missions.

Fuck arena fights, they're bullshit if you've adopted to a particular playstyle. Fuck the armoured Skull units, which are devoid of any entertainment to fight. The fact the mission is integrated as a major story setpiece, yet pauses the episodic flow so, if you need to, you can go and grind for gear and shit elsewhere just highlights how rubbish their integration is. It's like the game consciously going "oh we know this doesn't work, so lets disrupt the flow illogically so we can force it to work". They exist because someone thought "the story needs this moment" and neglected to consider if it played well. It doesn't.
Yes, I mad.

I had a lot of trouble with 29 too. Here's a pro tip for an easy S-Rank:

Use D-Walker's Gatling Gun. Even the starting one that takes 0 minutes to develop will quickly kill the Skulls.

Yes, I mad.
100% agreed.

Ep 28-29
are like the perfect example of what MGSV gets right and wrong respectively. All aspects of infiltration are tense and just incredibly well done; and the story is not, especially Metal Gear Solid's trademark boss encounters. The Skulls in particular lose all their charm once you've fight the same type again--they rely entirely on surprise and mystery to be a fun, challenging opponent. And the story is oddly disjointed, as if it were forcefully split into episodes after some period of development and then artificially inserted into the 'open world' game--the 'to be continued' stuff is the low point of this.
A lot of outposts have started using a bunch of decoys in my game. Is this due to them adapting to some tactics I use or just a normal progression as you get further in the game?
I'm sure there's some degree of adaptation. I love my sniper rifles and they've adopted lots of headgear to deter headshots. However, at the same time, I've used a grand total of three gas weapons and I still see plenty of enemies with gas masks. (Unless it helps them against sandstorms or something--that would explain it.)

Prismo

Neo Member
Can you guys point me in the direction a good Metal Gear story synopsis video, from what I can tell everyone and their sister seems to have made one for the TPP release.

usp84

So i have unlocked a lot of fast travel places but i dont understand how i am supposed to actually fast travel.I get on the small platform on Mother Base but nothing happens. I even equipped the BOX but still nothing

w3bba

So i have unlocked a lot of fast travel places but i dont understand how i am supposed to actually fast travel.I get on the small platform on Mother Base but nothing happens. I even equipped the BOX but still nothing

hold Y/Triangle

ugly

God knows how many hours I've clocked in now. This game is damn ambitious. It looks like Gaf has had its enormously high MGSV hopes dashed just a tad, but - I can't help but admire this game.

As a lot of people have mentioned, the on-field mechanics of controlling Snake are like butter. You have huge agency in terms of enemy approach. You really feel as though you can do anything. It's an amazing sensation, but it also gives way to one of the biggest faults I can detect in MGSV - and it's a failing that no comparable open-world game has, to my knowledge, overcome.

When you create a game designed to be played in an open-ended way, with huge options, and a huge arsenal of abilities behind the player character, you create a need for a very high amount of assets. You need tons of things the player can interact with in satisfying and logical ways to create the illusion of freedom, and to give the player a sense that they have real impact on the game world.

In a NES game it's easy to create the necessary assets to help the player feel engaged because the amount of control you can give the player is much more limited anyway. In a game like MGSV... Well, the amount of ways you can enter a base is all ready staggering when thinking on a technical level, or a level of appreciation for the workmanship that has been poured into this behemoth. But we play games to be immersed in the mechanics, the world, the narrative. We play them to experience something.

When the game world is so sprawling, so open; when the player has so much control, the actions the player can take are never going to feel like enough, especially in a realistic game with realistic models and environments. And, it was a commendable effort - this game is fucking... the situations you find yourself in... it's a real achievement by Kojima productions. But I think the failing is that they promised too much.

I will reiterate that this game blows me away.

It's so easy to wish you could do more in a game - it's just such a huge money-sink for devs to meet that demand. The amount of money, the amount of man-power a developer would need to really flesh this thing out... it's... I mean you can see why devs sort of dropped like flies in the transition to the era of HD gaming. How do you justify the extreme costs of making big games? It's easy to see why big and successful companies are afraid to change their bread-winning formulas. If your game is a flop - that's got to hurt.

Konami might be praised for having the balls to let Kojima run as free and wild for as long as he did... I mean he must have been eating through funds like Pacman!
Oh wait, that's Namco.
Fuck.
I do wonder how much more Kojima Prod could have nutted into more stuff for the overworld had they chose to present Mother Base differently. If it was a menu instead (though this game is full of 'em) perhaps it would have worked out better. Clearly Kojima imagined a game so dense, so large, so full that no company could realistically handle it from a business stand-point.

The gameplay is insane good. It's like, it's so good.

Another thing I'll quickly mention is that the game's presentation irks me. It's all gritty and realistic, so the MGSesque shit in MGSV seems out of place. There's a bit of identity crisis here. Quiet's hot. Also Venom doesn't seem like the same character. MGSV seems like a "what-if" slice of canon to me.

This game is brilliant, absoulutely amazing.

Quiet's hot

Top Bottom