• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Now that I've got the analyser, all the units unlocked and am being more active in staff management, I'm definitely going more lethal more often. I tag the highest rated guys, go silent but lethal on everyone else, and take them alive.

I really like that the game doesn't punish you for your style choice like GZ did. It feels less like you're being punished for 'playing wrong' in Phantom Pain. Absolutely loving it.

One thing to keep in mind--and one I didn't realise for a long while--is that you can only tag a limited number of things. I think it's 3-4-5 based on your upgrades. So you can really mess up your priorities if you make too many tags at once.

You've really gotta watch MGSV like a hawk to figure everything out.

I eventually figured out that
simply firing from a different gap in the building is enough to not get hit by the magical sniper tank.

It's utter bullshit, but that should help a lot. Dreading the mission tasks for that one. :

Also, after you beat that mission
Quiet will vanish for good
Yeah I did that but then
QUIET DIED

I HATE THIS SO MUCH. I AM NOT HAVING FUN

Barrylad

Neo Member
One thing to keep in mind--and one I didn't realise for a long while--is that you can only tag a limited number of things. I think it's 3-4-5 based on your upgrades. So you can really mess up your priorities if you make too many tags at once.

You've really gotta watch MGSV like a hawk to figure everything out.

I did not know this.

Between work and Mad Max I'm still very early days with it. Just done mission 10.

A-V-B

'there, just like the benches by the cockpit – what? nothing. I didn't say anything.

I thought the bench next to the bed would really work with the room's feng shui'

"What'd you say, honey? Speak up! I can't hear you over the speakers!"
"I SAID, WHO'S THE MAN IN THE HELMET"
"Oh, that's just the pilot!"
"THE PILOT?!"
"We are thousands of feet in the air!"
"I'M FEELING REALLY STRANGE ABOUT THIS!"

"THE PILOT?!"

That's when you whip out the raspberry jam and take things to the next level.

CHC

Traitor's Caravan fucking sucks ass - I've been cruising this stupid empty road along the "predicted route" for 20 goddamn minutes.

The little flaws of this game are really starting to eat at me, namely the fact that traversing the world is extremely tiring. From the slow ass vehicles and mounts, to the fact that EVERY single NPC is openly hostile, to innumerable chest high obstacles that you can't climb, to the winding linear paths through the geography that take 20x longer than if you could just get over the 10 foot ledge in your way.

Ugh. I mean the game is still great but fuck getting around in this world really just isn't fun whatsoever. Would have prefered traditional levels at this point.

A-V-B

Traitor's Caravan fucking sucks ass - I've been cruising this stupid empty road along the "predicted route" for 20 goddamn minutes.

Fuck the route. You know where they are coming from. MGSV gives you the freedom to just go kick the mission in the ass.

Snag your D-Walker, put gatling guns on it, smash through the chainlink fence of the airport exterior, and lay waste to fucking everything.

CHC

Fuck the route. You know where they are coming from. MGSV gives you the freedom to just go kick the mission in the ass.

Snag your D-Walker, put gatling guns on it, smash through the chainlink fence of the airport exterior, and lay waste to fucking everything.

Already I guess I'll just head straight there

Thanks

Alo0oy

Banned
Wow, I replayed an older mission, and found a way to Fulton
Fire Man
, unfortunately, he
cut the ropes before getting to Motherbase, I'll look for another way to Fulton him later.

Hasney

Man, I need fuel. Everything costs so much fuel right now, holy shit.

Fuel and common metal for me. Luckily, when I logon and see how many people failed to infiltrate my base, I get thousands of each.

Looks like PF points for being a high ranked FOB can also be traded for resources at some point, thank god.

Mikey Jr.

2 questions.

1. I heard killing guys doesn't affect your rank too much. True?

2. Playing the "enemy eliminated" tape on speaker lowers the alert. I've tried it on the speaker next to someone, but they don't react at all. Does this work?

eso76

Ahem. So...medical Platform cutscene spoiler

Paz is really there ? At first i thought Snake was just seeing things, but then Miller and Ocelot came and it looks like the whole thing is real. Did Kojima really retcon GZ or is it related to the "big twist" ?

Wait, i don't really want to know the answer.

Also, Kojima is a perv -related-
you can somewhat see her labia when she lays on the bed

And so are we, apparently.

A-V-B

2 questions.

2. Playing the "enemy eliminated" tape on speaker lowers the alert. I've tried it on the speaker next to someone, but they don't react at all. Does this work?

2. I hear it works when you're escaping and make it onto the chopper. Play it once you've hopped on through the chopper's speakers, and -- apparently -- they all go away.

VulpX

2 questions.

1. Yes
2. Play it as helicopter music.

I noticed you cant play all types of tapes for the helicopter speaker...I can understand the dialog ones but Trying the sound effect ones It won't let me set them

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
"THE PILOT?!"

"Honey, what did we say about the speaking thing? It isn't difficult: If you have something to say, you hum it. Okay...?

What do you mean you're leaving?"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh my god, Mission 30, that long cut.
That excessively long Skull Face monologue combined with Sins of the Father awkwardly creeping in, its climatic highs accompanied with no equal visual stimulus, as Snake and Skull Face sit just oddly staring at each other, is hilariously atrocious. I've thoroughly enjoyed all the cutscenes so far, the cinematography and editing is usually very good (Metal Gear narrative itself aside). But holy shit. Holy. Shit. There is no way that was intentional, surely. It's so, so fucking bad and amateurish.

That excessively long Skull Face monologue combined with Sins of the Father awkwardly creeping in, its climatic highs accompanied with no equal visual stimulus, as Snake and Skull Face sit just oddly staring at each other, is hilariously atrocious. I've thoroughly enjoyed all the cutscenes so far, the cinematography and editing is usually very good (Metal Gear narrative itself aside). But holy shit. Holy. Shit. There is no way that was intentional, surely. It's so, so fucking bad and amateurish.

I actually quite enjoyed it. It felt like a good relaxing climax after the incredibly tense infiltration of mission 30, at least they way I played it.

Alo0oy

Banned

The little flaws of this game are really starting to eat at me, namely the fact that traversing the world is extremely tiring. From the slow ass vehicles and mounts, to the fact that EVERY single NPC is openly hostile, to innumerable chest high obstacles that you can't climb, to the winding linear paths through the geography that take 20x longer than if you could just get over the 10 foot ledge in your way.

Ugh. I mean the game is still great but fuck getting around in this world really just isn't fun whatsoever. Would have prefered traditional levels at this point.

Traversal isn't the problem, the problem is D-horse being a buddy, that was the biggest mistake Kojima has made in this game.

The horse should be available at all times.

I enjoyed it. The way up there was really tense and I was scared to get caught it was relaxing after that long crawl.

Chapter 2 question

Do i HAVE to replay all the old missions? I heard there's a "true ending" like fucking PW. Is this the emotional long ending I've heard or is that the normal ending? I'll eventually beat the old missions at a later time but i'm wondering if getting the true ending at the same time as beating it even worth it. I don't want another Arkham Knight on my hands.

JimPanzer

yea, I feel exactly the same. I loved all the cutscenes up to that point, but as soon as the music kicked in I couldn't stop laughing.

A-V-B

Traversal isn't the problem, the problem is D-horse being a buddy, that was the biggest mistake Kojima has made in this game.

The horse should be available at all times.

Especially for stacking buddies.

You should be able to stack all the buddies.

Snake, D-Dog and Quiet on D-Horse on D-Walker.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I was laughing so hard at it which did not seem to be what they were going for.

Snake saying NOTHING both before and during that long ride also felt awkward. Giving him a dull ass glare the entire time with an idle pose kinda looking around like he doesn't care at all.

A-V-B

I was laughing so hard at it which did not seem to be what they were going for.

Snake saying NOTHING both before and during that long ride also felt awkward. Giving him a dull ass glare the entire time with an idle pose kinda looking around like he doesn't care at all.

I was really hoping Sins of the Father would play during some impossibly epic scene where you're rescuing someone important or an entire village is on fire, and a hundred guys are firing rifles and rockets at you. Or something.

The way Kojima used it, it was like he couldn't find a place to put the song.

Yep that was pretty bad. I was genuinely unsure if something hadn't triggered correctly. And the longer it went on the more unsure I became.
My favorite part is that Snake is on his basic idle animation where he looks left then looks right every minute or so. So I ended up positioning the camera just right so that whenever he looked right it looked like he was looking right into the camera thinking "what the fuck is happening." I love that Skull Face spews exposition about this master plan of his for probably 5 minutes straight and Snake just sits there like a statue and doesn't even react. It was such a bizarre scene.

GeekMarty

Somone on the Giant Bomb forums said: "I was hoping for my ladder scene. Truck delivered."
There you go.

JimPanzer

I arrived at Chapter 2. Could someone summarize as spoiler-free as possible what is needed to get the true ending? If this is possible at all.

Question for those who have finished the game : I completed mission 45 and 46 and
ten side ops about the missing MB Crew Members
. Did I see everything the game had to offer story wise ? Thanks.

A-V-B

Yep that was pretty bad. I was genuinely unsure if something hadn't triggered correctly. And the longer it went on the more unsure I became.
My favorite part is that Snake is on his basic idle animation where he looks left then looks right every minute or so. So I ended up positioning the camera just right so that whenever he looked right it looked like he was looking right into the camera thinking "what the fuck is happening." I love that Skull Face spews exposition about this master plan of his for probably 5 minutes straight and Snake just sits there like a statue and doesn't even react. It was such a bizarre scene.

I actually laughed when Snake looked away from Skull Face during the monologue, like he was asking the crew, "is this guy's mic on? He's talking, but I'm not getting anything. You guys?"

Top Bottom