• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Mikey Jr.

Ok, another question guys.

Should I be fultoning the machine guns and mortars?

I know they get scattered around my Base, but I don't see the purpose of them so far. They are just costing me precious gmp. I just want to sell all of them off, but don't want to get fucked if they are needed for a story mission or something like that.

Whereabouts in Afghanistan can I capture an oriental ratsnake? I've caught most of the super rare animals but this thing continues to elude me. Also where's the best place to get some spare Walker Gears? I need several for a dispatch mission.

Yeeeeeh I'm not feeling the open world and all the random upgrade aspects of this game. I love the core gameplay but the open world seems pointless and all this personnel management, upgrade rnd stuff feels like bloat.

Still enjoying it but just think it could be better.

I found myself doing 3 side ops in a row because they were close to one another on the map. Just used a supply grenade to keep my suppressors up and felt like such a badass when I finished my third side op.

The open world stuff becomes more evident (and enjoyable) as you are better equipped to handle longer sessions in the field.

Alienous

I know they get scattered around my Base, but I don't see the purpose of them so far. They are just costing me precious gmp. I just want to sell all of them off, but don't want to get fucked if they are needed for a story mission or something like that.

You can sell them for more than they cost to Fulton in the 'Resources' section of the iDroid, I'm pretty sure.

Crypt

After playing the game for 75 hours, I can conclusively say that microtransactions in this game are a complete non-issue. They are only present for FOB and online combat deployments.

KorrZ

Yes, was just patched in today.

But honestly, I'd turn it off and back up your save manually to prevent F.O.B. fuckery from ruining your shit.

Even if he goes offline he can still be invaded. When Konami's servers sync (and they WILL since you are FORCED to login on boot time unless you turn your connection off on bootup) you're fucked.

I think I'm good since I keep going offline and not letting it give me the invasion tutorial. I have the benefits of the FOB but I've never completed the tutorial. No negative effects yet so I think I'm good.

SomTervo

Whereabouts in Afghanistan can I capture an oriental ratsnake? I've caught most of the super rare animals but this thing continues to elude me. Also where's the best place to get some spare Walker Gears? I need several for a dispatch mission.

Is there a reason to do this, btw? I've come across 'rare animal' areas before but wasn't aware of any benefit to capturing them.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

They are used in your FOB's. Otherwise you can sell them for more then they cost to fulton and make a tidy profit.

raven777

I just logged on and got message that my base was infiltrated and I lost some A rank soldiers...

I will retaliate....but not now...once I finish developing wormhole extractor.

How do I upgrade the suppressor tech? My tranq gun is becoming more annoying with its level 1 suppressor. I've been having to do resupply drops more frequently on the longer missions.

Jintor

i want to stab the designer who decided that in episode 45 you can't go back to ACC to R&D more suitable gear or change your starting loadout and that your GMP doesn't reset if you retry so you just dig yourself into a red hole

the mission itself is fine-ish but my inability to finetune my loadout before dropping in and costing me GMP irks the shit out of me

Alienous

I just logged on and got message that my base was infiltrated and I lost some A rank soldiers...

I will retaliate....but not now...once I finish developing wormhole extractor.

The wormhole extractor is the best.

Forget about a tranquillizer gun. Take a suppressed smg and a shotgun and cripple folks. Leave them if they're crappy, or 100% extract them if they're decent.

raven777

The wormhole extractor is the best.

Forget about a tranquillizer gun. Take a suppressed smg and a shotgun and cripple folks. Leave them if they're crappy, or 100% extract them if they're decent.

any good shotguns I should develop? I haven't even touched shotgun development yet.

Jintor

okay yeah and being in a fucking massive one-shot battle makes the otherwise minor parts of the control schemes being shit more obvious, like you never being quite sure if hitting up will switch to your other primary or just bring up the up menu without actually changing weapon, or getting stuck on level geometry or sliding off unavoidably, which is fine when sneaking (mostly) but is aboslutely shit if you're trying to avoid being shot by a tank

and you can't cancel out of the rocket launch recovery animation to dive, which means you can exchange fire and die

fuck this

cheezcake

I found myself doing 3 side ops in a row because they were close to one another on the map. Just used a supply grenade to keep my suppressors up and felt like such a badass when I finished my third side op.

The open world stuff becomes more evident (and enjoyable) as you are better equipped to handle longer sessions in the field.

Well I am early in the game so I'll keep at it then.

muteki

Ramblings about playtime up to mission 11:

Been taking it slow mostly spending time on side ops to build up my forces, started making the long trek up to the power plant when I bumped into Quiet then [Mission 11: Quiet] and I was quite surprised. Haven't done missions 9 or 10 yet. Thought the actual fight was fairly straight forward as far as sniper fights go. A lucky sandstorm let me get to the tower in the middle from which I could hit her pretty much anywhere she went. It would have been much better without the white indicator telling you exactly where she was shooting from.

Also, WTF at that scene on the top level of the Medical platform. How can something this significant be so hidden away without a hint. I don't think I would have found it if I hadn't read about it here.

iratA

Got one question I need answered but I'm too afraid to look it up for spoilers. Can I replay Main missions and Side-Ops after I finish the story, aka 'post story free roam' to mop up other trophies/activities etc. Please put it in spoiler tags if it is spoilery-ish.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So my PS4 CE shipped from Game UK on August 26th and still hasn't arrived.

The Game Tracking Order says shipped. Does it ever switch to delivered or is that also annindication it has not arrived?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
My goodness (end game mission spoilers)
Mission 45 is killing me. The tanks at the end are one hit killing me without direct hits even.

MayMay

Banned
So looks like there's a game breaking bug in the game? MGS twitter just tweeted this.

http://www.konami.jp/mgs_portal/jp/info/?id=675

In METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN which was released on September 1st, 2015 there is a possibility that the game stops progress if having Quiet as a buddy while playing "Mission 29" or "Mission 42". This situation can be avoided by not using Quiet as a buddy while playing either "Mission 29" or "Mission 42".

We deeply apologize, and appreciate your patience for further announcements regarding this issue.

My goodness (end game mission spoilers)
Mission 45 is killing me. The tanks at the end are one hit killing me without direct hits even.
That mission is legit shit and not fun at all. I hid in the building and took shots with my rocket after I hear an explosion.

Griss

Is there any reason to hang on to mortars/stationary machineguns you fulton to mother base? What about (fulton upgrade spoilers)
vehicles
?

Apparently emplacements are used on your FOBs but I just sell them off.

Vehicles, however, are needed to work through the main 'Combat Deployment' missions where you sent your units out to retrieve GMP and materials etc. And more importantly, when you're not with D-Horse you'll want to get a supply drop of a vehicle to get around.

Apparently emplacements are used on your FOBs but I just sell them off.

Vehicles, however, are needed to work through the main 'Combat Deployment' missions where you sent your units out to retrieve GMP and materials etc. And more importantly, when you're not with D-Horse you'll want to get a supply drop of a vehicle to get around.

Roger, thanks!

DirtyLarry

I have just accepted the fact that while I enjoy these games, I am not very good at them.
I have done 3 main missions now (have not had a whole lot of time to play since launch) and I have gotten a B rank for every single one. Chick I believe is my ranking. Without replaying every mission, which right now I just do not have the time to do, I am pretty positive I am never going to get an S.

So is it people get an S the very first time they play? Or are people replaying the missions to get an S? Or restarting missions if they make a mistake?

Oh! I never realised that when you meet Eli,
there's actually a cutscene. He was already asleep in my playthrough since I went in at night, so I just tranqued him and took him out of there. No cutscene or "boss" fight at all.

I have just accepted the fact that while I enjoy these games, I am not very good at them.
I have done 3 main missions now (have not had a whole lot of time to play since launch) and I have gotten a B rank for every single one. Chick I believe is my ranking. Without replaying every mission, which right now I just do not have the time to do, I am pretty positive I am never going to get an S.

So is it people get an S the very first time they play? Or are people replaying the missions to get an S? Or restarting missions if they make a mistake?

I have gotten ranks all over the place. From S to D. Depends on the mission really. Haven't replayed any of them yet. Mostly I get A ranks.

Hasney

there's actually a cutscene. He was already asleep in my playthrough since I went in at night, so I just tranqued him and took him out of there. No cutscene or "boss" fight at all.

Ahaha, that's gold.
I deployed at 6 but it must have still been slightly early as he was up and trying to kill me. Poor little bastard, he was all tuckered out when you got to him.

That's pretty hilarious and would be a good reason why he's so pissed at you. Lol

Bookoo

What ever happened to MG Online? Is that something that is eventually unlocked? So far the only online component I have seen is the combat dispatching stuff.

Some missions are easier to get an S Rank than others, but it all depends on the person. I've only have about 2-3 S rank missions.

Bookoo

It got delayed to October 6th on console and January 2016 on PC.

Thanks.

I was wondering this too, also is it possible to get quiet some actual clothes?

Don't think so...but I am not that far into it. I just got her.
They sort of explain why she doesn't wear clothes...though I wonder if it was written in the game after all the sexism talk. .

Top Bottom