• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Mupod

arent servers for x1 still on fire?

might be part of the problem? maybe?

do the consoles have the option not to accept the ToS? On PC I just decline every time and it puts me in offline mode.

I'm sure this FOB stuff is neat and all but the servers have been screwed every time I connected.

SomTervo

Question regarding a character on Mother Base (
Paz
):

They seem to be unavailable now? I've done three Wandering Mother Base Soldier missions and was only able to visit them after the first one. Their door has remained locked since that visit. Did I get the wrong impression that I would be visiting them
with a photo after each Wandering Soldier mission
?

You should definitely still be able to go give the person pics, I think.

I have a vibe that the room might get locked after a certain story point, though. Eg Main Missions/Episodes. I haven't reached that point yet, on mission 3
, I can still access the room I think and I'm still getting new
wandering soldiers
missions relating to it..

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I did the exact same thing and screenshotted it every time, laughing my ass off. It was the moment where I wrote off the story entirely.

What made me laugh is the mission right after:

(Big Boss and Master Miller are standing over Skull Face who is dying from a powerline structure falling on him in the chaos of METAL GEAR!?)

Skull Face: Do it, make it quick.

(Camera pans to "the Boss")

Me: "NOPE, not giving you an honorable discharge. I'll wait here until the game decides you either die or I quit."

(Game decides to continue the scene, thankfully. Big Boss and Miller exposition for a bit, they go to leave after:)

Miller: DO IT YOURSELF. (Kicks the Model 1887? toward Skull Face but far enough away for him to struggle)

(They're going back to the helicopter when)

BLAM!

(They turn around)

Huey: I DID IT GUYS! AM I A PART OF MILITARIES SANS FRONTIERS--er--DIAMOND DOGS NOW!? SEE! I DIDN'T BETRAY YOU GUYS BECAUSE I LUUUUUVE YOU BIG BOSS!

Me: "WHAT!? *cracks up at how Huey is positioned and animated"

(Later scene, METAL GEAR!? is going to be put on Mother Base)

Me: "WHAT THE FUCK!? *throws controller and self out the window*"

Geez, 40 hours into my game and Ocelot is STILL asking me to get down, an enemy gunship, he'll tear you to shreds, if you didn't know and the enemy sniper, crawl around to stay out of his sight, guys.

Post-Mission 35:
"Hey Boss, seems Quiet is infected with the virus that spreads when people talk. Let's get her to talk." I'm writing this before the cutscene plays, but Miller is an idiot.

Edit: It's mission 35, not 32. Sorry!

Dimmle

You should definitely still be able to go give the person pics, I think.

I have a vibe that the room might get locked after a certain story point, though. Eg Main Missions/Episodes. I haven't reached that point yet, on mission 3
, I can still access the room I think and I'm still getting new
wandering soldiers
missions relating to it..

I'm only on mission 18 or so. There are no other functional doors on the medical wing, are there? I'll assume that it'll unlock again after another story mission or two.

Post-Mission 32:
"Hey Boss, seems Quiet is infected with the virus that spreads when people talk. Let's get her to talk." I'm writing this before the cutscene plays, but Miller is an idiot.

Are you sure this is post mission 32 ? Because I am at mission 34 or 35 and didn't knew that.

Cairnsay

Banned
Question regarding a character on Mother Base (
Paz
):

They seem to be unavailable now? I've done three Wandering Mother Base Soldier missions and was only able to visit them after the first one. Their door has remained locked since that visit. Did I get the wrong impression that I would be visiting them
with a photo after each Wandering Soldier mission
?

For what its worth, I had the same problem, turns out
I was trying to go through the wrong door, felt pretty stupid. Remeber she is on the 2nd floor not the first!

Griss

(Big Boss and Master Miller are standing over Skull Face who is dying from a powerline structure falling on him in the chaos of METAL GEAR!?)

Me: "NOPE, not giving you an honorable discharge. I'll wait here until the game decides you either die or I quit."

(Game decides to continue the scene, thankfully. Big Boss and Miller exposition for a bit, they go to leave after:)

Miller: DO IT YOURSELF. (Kicks the Model 1887? toward Skull Face but far enough away for him to struggle)

BLAM!

(They turn around)

Huey: I DID IT GUYS! AM I A PART OF MILITARIES SANS FRONTIERS--er--DIAMOND DOGS NOW!? SEE! I DIDN'T BETRAY YOU GUYS BECAUSE I LUUUUUVE YOU BIG BOSS!

Eh, that didn't bother me at all, really. Because:

(Lategame spoilers)
Snake and Kaz are out for revenge. We know that.
Huey is a dumb, cowardly cunt who doesn't 'get it'. We know that.
Snake and Kaz will use whatever means necessary to prevent Mother Base 2.0 suffering the same fate as the first. So Sahelanthropus becomes their deterrance. Again, that's consistent with what we know. Also prevents Cipher recovering it - if DD could, Cipher could.

The problem with that
Huey scene
is it really fucked up the gravitas of the scene, but I still think it was fine. Certainly compared with most of the cutscenes in the game. What hurt that scene more than anything was
the fact that Skullface just isn't developed or explained well enough as a character. You can't dump all of his exposition into the cutscene before he dies (guy REALLY hated English lessons in school, apparently), not even let us fight him, then expect us to care or treat it as some big triumph when he dies.

Window

BLAM!

(They turn around)

Huey doesn't say that. He just says I have my revenge or something to that effect (at least he didn't in the cutscene in my game) but it was meant to be played comically yeah which felt out of place. I also didn't have a problem with Snake not talking during Skullface's diatribe. A clever quip would feel out of tone and any rebuttals would feel redundant. Snake's animations do ruin the scene though.

It's not unlocked from the beggining, there's some requirements (unknown to me) in order to make it show up in the map.

When you have it, you'll certainly see it. Hard to miss.

the game already informed me that the
zoo
exists, it just didn't tell me exactly where to find it. I guess I'll look for it by pressing Y in the Idroid next time im at MB.

Huey doesn't say that. He just says I have my revenge or something to that effect (at least he didn't in the cutscene in my game) but it was meant to be played comically yeah which felt out of place. I also didn't have a problem with Snake not talking during Skullface's diatribe. A clever quip would feel out of tone and any rebuttals would feel redundant. Snake's animations do ruin the scene though.

ruins it when
skull face finishes and they are just sitting there jammin to tunes looking at eachother.

TheSeks

Griss (not reading the three points as I just finished that mission last night so haven't continued the story since doing all the side-ops as I can/available until no more then pushing the story forward to unlock more/rinse repeat): But that's the problem with that scene. IT DIDN'T NEED THAT BIT!

Why would you
throw in Huey shooting him
!? It's comical and for all the wrong reasons, because I get what Kojima wanted to do
prove Huey's innocence?
but it just comes out wrong after everything that happened before that bit.

But you're right,
Skull Face's motive
is totally undercooked. I didn't even get what you said about that until now, I was just glazed over look'd as they monologued as the
epidemic being a parasite that targets languages so using that for "ethic cleansing"
kinda made me tune out.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
At what point (mission) they start repeating ? Also, from that point how many approximately are unique (new) until the last one?

After 31 you get a bunch of repeats. I think there are 4-5 new ones.

Jintor

Love that totally resetting a mission doesn't refund your gmp. Mother base gonna be in the red for a while I reckon

Just wrapped up Chapter 1 but it's got me thinking.

Does anyone think that they (Kojima Studios) had some major development issues with Kiefer Sutherland? Not necessarily with his performance, just the time available to record or possibly some technical issues that made a lot of the work unusable or something similar that forced their hand.

BB is almost a joke in this game when he's not saying anything. There are pans to him during cutscenes for no reason, he goes for huge stretches without making a single sound (not even a grunt or exhale at times when he REALLY should be doing these things) and yet he'll happily bang on during cassette tapes about bugger all which suggests to me that this wasn't a "pretentious real actor doesn't want to do silly extraneous dialogue" issue or a "this is Kojima's vision for BB" issue.

You have hidden easter egg cutscenes like
splash-fighting with Quiet in the rain
where he does a bunch of sighing, grunting and laughing and then full on 'Metal Gear' style cutscenes like
the Jet vs Chopper cutscene after defeating Quiet
where he's absolutely silent throughout.

Comparing him to the natural (and brilliant) performance of Robin Atkin Downes as Kaz or even Troy Baker's (slightly generic, but still quality) performance of Ocelot makes Big Boss stick out like a sore thumb. It's the exact opposite of the nuanced performance Kojima seems to want for him. It feels like a last minute hatchet job or some bad fan-dub of Big Boss, and it really doesn't work. With all the talk of cut content and a missing ending it's making me wonder if they scrapped work on Big Boss's performance too, because I really can't explain how they thought this was effective character building.

Papercuts

Ok. Thanks!

It's worth noting you don't actually have to do them. The way they're presented as main numbers missions is misleading as hell.

Does anyone think that they (Kojima Studios) had some major development issues with Kiefer Sutherland? Not necessarily with his performance, just the time available to record or possibly some technical issues that made a lot of the work unusable or something similar that forced their hand.

BB is almost a joke in this game when he's not saying anything. There are pans to him during cutscenes for no reason, he goes for huge stretches without making a single sound (not even a grunt or exhale at times when he REALLY should be doing these things) and yet he'll happily bang on during cassette tapes about bugger all which suggests to me that this wasn't a "pretentious real actor doesn't want to do silly extraneous dialogue" issue or a "this is Kojima's vision for BB" issue.

You have hidden easter egg cutscenes like
splash-fighting with Quiet in the rain
where he does a bunch of sighing, grunting and laughing and then full on 'Metal Gear' style cutscenes like
the Jet vs Chopper cutscene after defeating Quiet
where he's absolutely silent throughout.

Comparing him to the natural (and brilliant) performance of Robin Atkin Downes as Kaz or even Troy Baker's (slightly generic, but still quality) performance of Ocelot makes Big Boss stick out like a sore thumb. It's the exact opposite of the nuanced performance Kojima seems to want for him. It feels like a last minute hatchet job or some bad fan-dub of Big Boss, and it really doesn't work. With all the talk of cut content and a missing ending it's making me wonder if they scrapped work on Big Boss's performance too, because I really can't explain how they thought this was effective character building.

I went back and forth but I imagine ultimately it was a conscious design design(even if I don't agree with it and agree it makes everything feel weird and disconnected). He talks A LOT in the tapes so it's not like there isn't a ton of VA work here, they just for whatever reason don't have it happening much in the main scenes.

Griss

Griss (not reading the three points as I just finished that mission last night so haven't continued the story since doing all the side-ops as I can/available until no more then pushing the story forward to unlock more/rinse repeat): But that's the problem with that scene. IT DIDN'T NEED THAT BIT!

Why would you
throw in Huey shooting him
!? It's comical and for all the wrong reasons, because I get what Kojima wanted to do
prove Huey's innocence?
but it just comes out wrong after everything that happened before that bit.

But you're right,
Skull Face's motive
is totally undercooked. I didn't even get what you said about that until now, I was just glazed over look'd as they monologued as the
epidemic being a parasite that targets languages so using that for "ethic cleansing"
kinda made me tune out.

The spoilers were for other people, not for you. Since we were talking about lategadme stuff already. Just making sure.

As for
Huey,
I'm pretty sure that scene was meant to have the opposite effect you mentioned. It's meant to make you
even more suspicious of Huey, and contrast his shitty feeling of revenge with the deep and profound relief and satisfaction Kaz and Big Boss, two real soldiers, are experiencing. Their disgust when they look at Huey is palpable.
Also, if you've been listening to the tapes up until now it seems like Huey is a deeply suspicious guy, and probably a bad dude.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I do that to but im more sinister with it

Ill put an entire area to sleep then ill go back and headshot everyone

Sounds healthy.

This reminds me of the MGS2 intro/Demo.

I spent countless hours tranqing everyone in that first area, bringing them all into the locker room (The ones I did not throw into the deep dark sea while they were asleep).

I would then shoot them all, trying to cover the locker room with as much blood as humanly possible...save for one guard.

I would then shoot him in one leg, and in the arm, disable his radio, and the hide in a locker and wait for him to wake up and see the horror of my works.

God that game was amazing.

Cyborg

Can you turn off the FOB's? I just want to play offline without guys stealing my stuff. Is there an option (other than rip your cable out)

N° 2048

Can you turn off the FOB's? I just want to play offline without guys stealing my stuff. Is there an option (other than rip your cable out)

Was looking at the same thing and found this.

Play offline
While the online multiplayer mode of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain has you constructing a Forward Operating Base (FOB) to which you can allocate soldiers and resources, it also leaves you open to attack from other players even if you're offline. What this means is, you can lose your top Mother Base staff that you spent time and energy capturing, even when you're not playing the game or in online mode. Simply pause the game and disconnect from it as soon as you start and ensure you do so before the end of mission 22 to prevent being forced to build an FOB and take part in a game mode that's more detrimental than it should be. Hopefully Konami patches this mode to make invasions from other players optional.

Error1355

Does the Steam version have cloud saves?

I'm away from home for a day or two but I'll have access to a PC with Steam on it. lol

Griss

Was looking at the same thing and found this.

I don't understand how this can be possible. If I stay offline, how can my game connect to the servers to know that my men have been robbed? Surely staying offline protects you absolutely? The only way it could affect your game without being online is if
Hideo really has created the Patriot AIs.

OrochiJR

GAF, I have two nagging questions, both about later/ ending parts of the game, mostly about game progression. I am currently only up to Main Op 24, so I would appreciate it if the answers were as light on story spoilers as possible. :)

First, a buddy related question (late game spoilers)
I heard that Quiet leaves you at Mission 45 or so. I also heard that you can equip the butterfly emblem to prevent that mission from occuring.

What I want to ask is can I just play all the story missions in order, without bothering with the emblem, and let her exit in peace in or after Mission 45, or will this mission suddenly come up as soon as I max out her bond? Like if I max the bond out a Mission 30 or so, will it throw me in Mission 45 all of a sudden?

The 2nd question concerns the later part of the general story progression (also late game spoilers)
So I know that you get the normal ending after Mission 31, and the true ending at Mission 46. I have heard conflicting things about how to get there, some say you need to do all these extreme difficulty missions, but I have also seen someone saying that side ops are enough to work towards the true ending. It would be super awesome if someone could elaborate on the progression of missions and how to get to the true ending, without giving away any plot details :D (I'm kind of dreading the thought of hard missions, the skulls are challenging enough as it is)

BossLackey

Gold Member
For the love of god, please tell me there is more story later on. I'm around mission 20. Been playing a lot of side-ops and doing as much as I can as I plod along. Not trying to rush. I'm 30 hours in and
Skull Face
has been on screen for like 2 minutes total. And I knew Big Boss wasn't going to talk much, but I didn't know that meant not at all. He speaks more in some of the cassettes than in the whole rest of the game. Nothing is happening. The gameplay is amazing, but Jesus Christ, where is the story!?

Frillen

Ending spoilers

Uhm, was the big twist supposed to be that the guy from the prologue is the real Big Boss? Because I immediately thought of that and that the guy you're playing got Big Boss' face. Maybe I've seen Face-Off too many times, lol. Also the twist that Quiet was behind the infection was very predictable.

TheSeks

Does the Steam version have butt saves?

I'm away from home for a day or two but I'll have access to a PC with Steam on it. lol

Yes, was just patched in today.

But honestly, I'd turn it off and back up your save manually to prevent F.O.B. fuckery from ruining your shit.

There's an option to go offline from the pause menu.

Even if he goes offline he can still be invaded. When Konami's servers sync (and they WILL since you are FORCED to login on boot time unless you turn your connection off on bootup) you're fucked.

It's hard to believe that it was a conscious design decision. My guess is that it was a budget issue. Konami has been shown to be pretty stingy with its money in recent revelations, and Keifer was probably more expensive than your typical video game VA actor.

Jintor

Wow. You guys weren't kidding about 45. Can't quit out to do r&d, can't do any prep basically, can't pull in walker gear or anything, gmp doesn't reset when you inevitably get one shotted by a tank. Ducking terrible

Hasney

I don't understand how this can be possible. If I stay offline, how can my game connect to the servers to know that my men have been robbed? Surely staying offline protects you absolutely? The only way it could affect your game without being online is if
Hideo really has created the Patriot AIs.

Yeah, if you don't go on, they're still "captured", but nutil the server sends the data to you, you'll never know.

You shouldn't lose your top staff anyway. If you go online, make sure you have your best staff on direct contract. Your offline materials will also never be stolen for anyone worrying about that. The online and offline unprocessed materials come from different pots.

Audioboxer

For the love of god, please tell me there is more story later on. I'm around mission 20. Been playing a lot of side-ops and doing as much as I can as I plod along. Not trying to rush. I'm 30 hours in and
Skull Face
has been on screen for like 2 minutes total. And I knew Big Boss wasn't going to talk much, but I didn't know that meant not at all. He speaks more in some of the cassettes than in the whole rest of the game. Nothing is happening. The gameplay is amazing, but Jesus Christ, where is the story!?

Doesn't get much better. I'm not completely finished yet, but making my way through act 2.

Such a bad decision to go with Kiefer, and also to have so much of the story relegated to cassette tapes. I really do wonder if this was Kojima's decision or part of the fall-out with Konami leading to Kojima possibly stuffing story into cassette tapes. If this is Kojima "listening" to the "vocal minority" about cutscenes he's completely taken it to the other extreme neutering what many MGS fans did like (but maybe could agree the MGS4 balance was a little off).

In this regard it does not feel like a MGS game for me and utterly fails. Big Boss feels like a hollow shell, no connection whatsoever, in comparison to say MGS3. Gameplay is absolutely amazing though.

It pains me to say this but it's kind of feeling partly like the MGS game Konami could make without Kojima :/ On the story telling front anyway, quite hollow with important story relegated to voice clips or text from books or something.

Papercuts

Yes, was just patched in today.

But honestly, I'd turn it off and back up your save manually to prevent F.O.B. fuckery from ruining your shit.

Even if he goes offline he can still be invaded. When Konami's servers sync (and they WILL since you are FORCED to login on boot time unless you turn your connection off on bootup) you're fucked.

Oh, can you be invaded even without you first initiating anything? Didn't realize that.

cheezcake

Yeeeeeh I'm not feeling the open world and all the random upgrade aspects of this game. I love the core gameplay but the open world seems pointless and all this personnel management, upgrade rnd stuff feels like bloat.

Still enjoying it but just think it could be better.

Top Bottom