• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Salsa

It has no real purpose.

I was waiting for the camera to do a cool pan or something

then I remembered this game weirdly sticks to its own rules when it comes to displaying cutscenes with the whole one long shot and all

I think they could have done a cool seamless thing tho but they just didnt

it was like the MGS3 ladder without a ladder

Effect

How big and important is the Mother Base and FOB building to the game?

Is there ever a "end" point where you can no longer upgrade them?

Is there much interaction with it?

Can you walk around and it talk with NPCs? Or is it all menu based with no real interaction?

I think this might be the deciding factor for me getting the game. I love stuff like this and not enough games have systems like this and ones that seem to impact how you play the game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have also come to this conclusion

Like even as someone who endlessly moans about MGS4 awfulness I can concede that the series has consistently great cinematography and editing, especially the audio. Most of the complaints are directed at the subject matter itself, the script and the dialogue.

That sequence however I swear seems totally rushed and unfinished.
Sins of the Father creeps in as they awkwardly stare at each other in silence, sans for Venom's occasional idle animation kicking in.

31 hours played and only on mission 17 lol (bunch of side ops stuff tho too and just left idling too for a bit)

39 hours here.... mission 13
This will take more time than Fallout 4 lol

I guess it also counts all my failed tries? I can be... persistent about the way I want to sneak into an outpost and do 3 things in one go. Even during side ops.
Happened now two times that I used so many continues that the game forced the chicken hat on me :p

Anyone able to complete the Command Platform target training? I swear I look everywhere on the platform and still miss at least 6 of them

Second night done, about 13-14 hours in now.... I'm up to... Mission 10 or so, I guess.
Just finished the Honey Bee one or whatever it's called, and then assassinating 3 Russian officers.
. Starting to appreciate the persistance a bit more... I had free roamed a lot of the outposts right after rescuing
Miller
, and then to go back and do so many missions at this same outposts is a little wearisome. On one hand, it's cool that I sort of have an advantage, because the power lines, comms equipment, etc are already knocked out, but it feel a bit weary to try take out or stealth through the troops yet again. After 4-5 hours, I found myself more prone to just saying 'f-it' and going rambo on folks lol.

That said, I really like the general mission design and how you can replay missions with some (not all) persistence from free roam, because if there was too much, mabye that hurts replay value... But the way it works now, I could see myself replaying these maps and missions for a very long time. It would be kind of cool if in real time (say, every couple weeks or even month), the Russians slowly rebuild some of the equipment... maybe you could even get side-ops where you see maintenance trucks go to fix the stuff, so you get a window to try stop it. Anyhow, I do like the system but I think it's really designed for long term replay value, and if you play too much in a single session, it can be a bit weary.

Not much new in terms of story lol I'm about 12-13 hours in and that
Honey missile/Skull Face picked up by Metal Gear scene
was basically the first story I've had since
Miller
. But like I said, I'd done a lot of free roam... cleared all the way up to that power plant and the... 2nd most northern base (not the 'command base' or whatever it's called in the map, the one by the river with the waterfall before the ruins.

It's been a lot of fun to try encroach on the ruskie bases ahead of the missions in free roam, take out all their comms, and then when I do missions later, they're always complaining there are no reinforcements or cannot call for reinforcements. It's kinda cool you can take out power lines too but I'm not sure what that effects yet.

General gameplay, really enjoying it yet so far. I'm still a bit clumsy with the non-locking cover system but I enjoy how sensitive NPCs are to sound, and how you can so easily alert them by tip-toeing a touch too fast, or knocking over a lantern or walking on a railing surface, but if you choose your steps right, you can take out a guard silently with his friend just a few feet away.

Mother Base is pretty awesome so far. I'm enjoying the pacing of management a lot, and resource collecting is a good balance between too easy and too often (e.g. DA INQ). All the customization is great, management is pretty streamlined and easy to do on-the-go.

Other things... I like the vehicles in this game, and the horse feels a lot better than either W3 or DA INQ. World design feels a lot more DA INQ than W3 though; it's open but there's a lot of unpassable bubbles that restrict you. I mean, more open than the Hinterlands but it reminds me a lot of, say, the DAINQ desert, actually. I find myself having to spam Action a lot to try find which rocks that look climbable are actually climbable.

What else... I don't like the gun sounds. Feel kinda weak. Weather, helicopters, radios, etc all sound great though. The original score is pretty intense, too. The persistent blood on Snake is great. Loving the frame rate... you see a lot of low-res textures (PS4) that help make it possible but it's worth it IMO... game like this needs to be fast, smooth, responsive, and snappy. It's a big reason why the combat just feels good.

Last thing.... game is a lot more fun IMO with Markets turned Off, no HUD.

I have Markers turned off, Weapon/Item turned off, etc Also turned off those 'enemy detection' effects (what direction the enemy detected you from, and that slow-mo reflex effect or whatever, felt kinda cheesy). Only thing I left on was damage direction because it kinda makes sense that if you get shot in the back of the leg, you'd sense it was from behind you haha...

so zero HUD now and I think it makes the game both more immersive but also more... tense. I do thing it's cool to do binocular recon and 'tag' troops, but the fact you can still use your iDroid to keep track of Marked troops is a nice balance between, 1, still promoting recon and Marking, 2. but not cluttering your HUD with Markings, 3, not hurting the intensity/immersion of the game but always knowing where enemies are.

Gvitor

Quiet-related post-mission 32 spoilers:

(I'm not sure if this cutscene always pops up at that point in the game, so be warned)

Kojima hired a dutch model who speaks english and japanese to dub a supposedly mute character that when finally speaks, speaks in afrikaans. lol

Wait, there's a different ending if you do all the extremes/subsistences/stealths?

Is this true? Isn't Mission
the end no matter what, no matter collector's edition, no matter finishing all
missions, etc?

Is
the absolute final true canonical end?

Salsa

Like even as someone who endlessly moans about MGS4 awfulness I can concede that the series has consistently great cinematography and editing, especially the audio. Most of the complaints are directed at the subject matter itself, the script and the dialogue.

Sins of the Father creeps in as they awkwardly stare at each other in silence, sans for Venom's occasional idle animation kicking in.

it made me laugh in a way that I just thought it was intentional at first

Salsa

also does someone know the name of the weapon I gotta research to upgrade the Silencer for all weapons?

im like 50 hours in. I feel like I should have this

39 hours here.... mission 13
This will take more time than Fallout 4 lol

I guess it also counts all my failed tries? I can be... persistent about the way I want to sneak into an outpost and do 3 things in one go. Even during side ops.
Happened now two times that I used so many continues that the game forced the chicken hat on me :p

I was actually just going by what steam said...didn't even check in game time. 19% complete tho

Elfstruck

Just finished mission
and wow its probably one of the most memorable mission for me so far. That feel when you
manage to guide those children to safety
is just amazing. I fking love this game.

iMax

Is this true? Isn't Mission
the end no matter what, no matter collector's edition, no matter finishing all
missions, etc?

Is
the absolute final true canonical end?

I have no idea.
I've only just started Chapter Two so can't comment. But everything I've heard in here says that you only need to do the essential six missions and relevant side-ops to get it.

How big and important is the Mother Base and FOB building to the game?

Is there ever a "end" point where you can no longer upgrade them?

Is there much interaction with it?

Can you walk around and it talk with NPCs? Or is it all menu based with no real interaction?

I think this might be the deciding factor for me getting the game. I love stuff like this and not enough games have systems like this and ones that seem to impact how you play the game.

It's big and important in the sense that it is the whole game. The entire game you are constantly growing, building, expanding, developing, and interacting with Mother Base. It's completely vital.

I have a question, actually....

mission related NPCs that you recruit: are their code names random?

e.g. there was a mission I guess around 5-6 where I had to
take out 2 deadly Russians. It was a sniper/spotter team with a 3rd guard atop a cliff overlooking a road by a river.
Anyhow, I was able to actually KO all 3 without detection haha and I recruited them all. But I don't know which units they are... I forgot to check during the 'mission done' screen later. I've done the same for a few other missions such as
assassinate the 3 officers at the meeting
. Will they always get the same code name or random each time?

Will they have random code names, and basically no way to know which units they were? Or are mission/side-op units always given the same code name?

I'm at mission 10 and am about 8 hours in. How are you guys playing for 40 hours and only at mission 13? Are you running around mother base for hours at a time?

Gvitor

oh thank god I got to watch this cutscene again immediatly

WHOOOOOOO

The TBCs are ridiculous and it's a heritage (another) from Peace Walker that also sucks. At least there they had the excuse that it was a portable game. Here it only serves to put you back at the ACC, make you endure 2 or 3 loading screens and break the pacing even more. As if it needed more pace-breaking mechanics.

iMax

I'm at mission 10 and am about 8 hours in. How are you guys playing for 40 hours and only at mission 13? Are you running around mother base for hours at a time?

I got a mild addition to Side Ops for a while. Then spoilers started coming out heavily so I felt I had to rush the story first.

I was actually just going by what steam said...didn't even check in game time. 19% complete tho

22% here, I guess side ops and stuff counts pretty hefty towards that then.

I have the theory that all the "too many cutscenes and not enough gameplay" complains got to Kojima and now he makes up for it. Thanks to MGSV the average MGS playthrough time got a nice boost :p

sometimes...
there are diamonds, man!
and throwing mags at the bear in the zoo.
But seriously, I idled indeed a bit in the helicopter when I wanted to get the base upgrades done.

The end of Chapter 1 got very Metal Gear. I wasn't expecting such long cutscenes after what everyone had been saying. That idle animation though...

jett

D-Member

All the thoughts keep piercing this broken mind
I fall, but I'm still standing motionless

With how many times it's come back to bite me in the ass I feel like I might as well just kill any soldier that isn't of use to me instead of trying to be nice about it and let them live.

mission 29 killer advice:

sprint left at the beginning of the fight, leave code talker chillin. run allllll the way left to the gap in the concrete fence. youll get warnings while youre on the other side that youre gonna leave the mission and gotta go back for code talker. dont worry, hes fine, youre fine. keep popping out from the sides of the gap in the fence and fire rockets. the skulls NEVER come on the other side of the fence, so theyll never surround you, youll have cover, and can blast away. if you have quiet, she'll fire on em too.

also, had a REALLY bizarre thing happen during mission 30....
http://xboxclips.com/cmglassmire/7c7e41c3-5c8a-4322-b420-7dc57cb7331a

that happen to anyone else? i couldnt stop laughing
If you're standing when that happens and press the CQC button at the right time (there'll be a prompt) you can counterattack them, which does a good chunk of damage and stuns them so you can pull out a close range weapon and get even more shots in. You can do the same thing to the mission 29 skulls.

Just did some free roam and a couple side ops after work tonight, loads of fun still and only at mission
with well over 120 hours in. Simply an amazing video game to experience and grateful... Great gaming had after a long day.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I am glad a few of the missions are a little annoying. Hopefully more people realize how annoying Miller can get. You should feel the same pain I felt in Ground Zeroes.

MarkusRJR

I'm finally getting around to side ops and I'm honestly having so much problems with Unlucky Dog 1. So many enemies. Going in stealthy and knocking out all but 5 enemies then getting spotted and shot out by the one sniper + 4 random dudes is so obnoxious. Every guide looks to have them go rambo at the end but I want the cassette. :(

Man, I hate quiet atm. I just got the ability to use her and she never stays close and doesnt scout ever. What's the point? Why would you use her over ddog. His ability to mark most enemies feels essential.

spyder_ur

I have bond level 50 or so with Quiet - is there any way to make her move to a specific spot that is quicker than calling in buddy support using the Dpad? I love playing with Quiet but shes runs off so much and sometimes I don't see her the rest of the mission.

Edit: Ha, very similar to the person right above me.

jett

D-Member
So what's the deal with Music Tape #1? Was all that music just created for that?

That music is great tho, and better than the in-game stuff, which is barely noticeable.

Top Bottom