• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

So there's no need to keep the weapons and stuff I fulton out?

Also how the hell do I put the bear to sleep, I've pumped that sucker with maybe 20 sleep darts and its still going.

Security forces can use mortars, but I'm not sure how many can be used.

And yeah, the bear can take quite a few hits before going down. Just keep at it.

Just need the leopard tortoise for platinum and it's being extremely elusive.

I keep reading about this one, but I got it on my first try. This was the case for most of the animals except Blanford's Fox, which took 3-4.

Coreda

Also how the hell do I put the bear to sleep, I've pumped that sucker with maybe 20 sleep darts and its still going.

Use the Stun arm. One hit KO. Just make sure he doesn't notice you initially or it's night-night sweetheart for Snake.

Thanks for sharing. Pity the contents section isn't linked to the pages directly via embedded anchors. Maybe the full version does.

Edit: finally, an official infographic of incapacitation times:

ypKetma.png

Golnei

Surprising to see all tranquiliser rounds lumped into the same category there, for some reason I was under the impression rifles and pistols had differing potencies. And wouldn't stun rounds have a shorter duration regardless?

Quick

Banned
Finished Chapter 1. What a ride this game has been.

Chapter 30/31 spoilers:

Sneaking into the facility to confront Skull Face was a bit nerve wracking at the third gate, with the helicopter circling the area more frequently. I ended up getting spotted and called air support on the area, with Pequod getting taken down. By the time that happened, I was near the gate coming from the left side of the area. I shot four soldiers and made a break for the gate. Took a couple of tries, since I'd either get spotted by a camera (I'd always suddenly sneak directly onto its sights) or a soldier spots me.

The drive to Sahelanthropus' area was exhausting to watch. As cool as it is to hear Skull Face's monologue and the music, it was tough to pay attention when I didn't need to be in control, and it's been drawn out for so long.

The Sahelanthropus battle was insane. It took me a good hour of repeated attempts to finish, but it was incredibly satisfying. I ended up quitting at one point to swap out my Killer Bee launcher with a stronger one - I was checking my inventory to develop a better version of the Killer Bee, when I scrolled through my available launchers and found one that dealt way better damage. The only issue with it is it didn't lock on target, but the rocket ammo for it makes quick contact anyway that it wasn't necessary. Took two more tries after this to beat that damn Metal Gear. Then I just felt silly using the Killer Bee when I had this better rocket all along.

After this, I triggered two Quiet cutscenes when I free roamed a couple of times and flew back to Mother Base (Quiet was my buddy on both cutscenes):

One of the child soldiers dropped his necklace in a pit of dangerous gasses (chlorine?). Quiet jumped in to get it. Damn.

Then it was raining, and Quiet and Snake were playing in the rain. It was a nice, calmer moment after going through that Sahelanthropus battle.

Coreda

Surprising to see all tranquiliser rounds lumped into the same category there, for some reason I was under the impression rifles and pistols had differing potencies. And wouldn't stun rounds have a shorter duration regardless?

I think all tranq rounds have the same duration but some rifles induce the effect quicker and are more effective, such as the M2000-NL which can be shot on any non-armored part of an enemy to take them down with a second or two. Whereas the Renov pretty much always requires a headshot.

I've seen (and used) the term 'potency' as well but I think it's more about the effective damage piercing.

Would have been good to see Stun rounds on the graph, yeah. I'd expect it would fall before the CQC to ground duration if included.

The CQC combo is my fave option, it just looks so damn good and effective in motion.

Ground Zeros has some very nice looking CQC animations, more so than Phantom Pain from what I've seen. Was actually from GZ CQC videos I was spoiled regarding a major plot device in TPP, so for anyone who hasn't completed the game I'd keep your eyes out of the comments sections ;)

From what I've heard it seems to be a pretty solid guide overall with a substantial amount of story info, art, summary, timeline etc. of the MGS series.

You can download a 53 page preview here if you like:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/met...-of-phantom-pain-official-guide-free-1781822/

Unless you want it for the screen shots, I wouldn't bother. Just use a gamefaqs walkthrough on a tablet and you're golden. Don't worry about s-ranks until you beat the game and get certain gear if you want to platinum it as quickly as possible with as little grinding as possible. Fulton everything: people, plants, vehicles, containers, and gun emplacements and and you'll rarely have an issue with resources or GMP. My advice to the next quote applies too.

Thanks guys!

BadWolf

Ground Zeros has some very nice looking CQC animations, more so than Phantom Pain from what I've seen. Was actually from GZ CQC videos I was spoiled regarding a major plot device in TPP, so for anyone who hasn't completed the game I'd keep your eyes out of the comments sections ;)

Pretty sure the CQC animations in TPP are the same as GZ, if not better.

https://youtu.be/FLNbgTDRs_E?t=145

(Possible Spoilers)

BadWolf

This was the video that gave me that impression. Looks more graceful, though it may be partially due to the lack of slow motion during many of the CQC interactions (for example at 2:38).

He 'canceled' the combo at the end into a wall throw. The animations themselves seem the same overall.

Great vid.

myco666

Just realized I only have two sniper rifles to develop and I have everything. Still have to get those materials processed for FOB so I get all platforms to 4/4. I guess there isn't really anything to speed up processing?

Holy shit.

Potential Chapter 2 spoiler images and notes (even though I haven't finished it yet):

So I zoom in while inside the ACC at night at notice Snake has no hair and looks a bit different. I take this screenshot and brighten it in Photoshop:

http://i.imgur.com/A4wzBsY.jpg

'Huh', I think. Looks like a black guy. Then it struck me, 'is this my black avatar I made?'

So I go to the avatar customization on the iDroid and put hair and white face paint and save...

http://i.imgur.com/f3DefuY.jpg

WUT. It was the reflection all along! If this is story related I ain't even mad after being spoiled anyway. Hiding it in plain sight. *Applauds*

what the fuck if i discovered that my mind would be fucking blown

WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUCK

WOW

When was the new things to develop coming out?

I'm working my way through MGS5 very slowly, I'm at mission 16.

I have too main issues;

Not enough GMP: Whats the easiest way to acquire it?
Too many Staff; not enough bases: How do I increase my base size quickly?

Grind resources and then sell the excess, they've changed it a bit now but early on I was farming tanks and the truck for mission eight. I'd also sell plants when I got over 2,000 (there was a 3,000 cap then and no online moving) and other things, like I had a lot of unused processed minor metal and would sell 10,000 or more of it at a time. Then there's the gun/mortar placements and other stuff.

neoism

This... is inspired.

The development grind in this game has already added dozens of idled hours to the playtime but this is so clever I might just try it.

yeah apparently what triggers a process is a checkpoint plus and x amount of time

http://youtu.be/LmObLXIAKjA

here is a better video with a better mission lol this is the vid i was tryna find.. it explains other things also.. your MB level also determines the time it takes...its a good vid though. he has other farming vids also...

Yeah, the game does a terrible job at telling you that.

Same goes for the Hellbound mission. When Sahalanthropus attacks, Miller tells you to get to the predetermined LZ but chances are that the Metal Gear will be too close making it impossible to escape. At least, until you realise you can just tell the chopper to come to an LZ two miles down the road.

I didn't fnd that too useful, he still followed me!

New world order?
The way I thought it worked was an S++ got added to my online brig after I'd taken every platform, not when the event came to an end. Can't be totally sure if that's right.

The soldier was in my online brig, but didn't get transferred to my staff after the probation period ended. I send a support ticket to Konami, they had a form for FOB stuff.

myco666

Finally at 1million heroism I can invade people with nukes. Can't actually invade them though since they always have invaders.

Also [MISSION 45 SPOILER]
what the hell is Quiet doing in my brig after she left?

Also seriously why the hell materials process so damn slow.

J.EM1

Where? I keep trying by the waterfall by Masa.
I scattered the cages in that area. Placed one directly in front of the waterfall, one to the immediate right on the rock. One further back next to a tree and a few more on the cliff that leads to the village.

Gui_PT

Finally at 1million heroism I can invade people with nukes. Can't actually invade them though since they always have invaders.

Also [MISSION 45 SPOILER]
what the hell is Quiet doing in my brig after she left?

Also seriously why the hell materials process so damn slow.

How come I can invade people with nukes with less that 1 million heroism?

RedSwirl

If I find Far Cry 4 on sale is it still worth it after having played this game? I feel like MGSV is already the Far Cry game I always wanted.

Thing is, I'm more a fan of Far Cry 2 than Far Cry 3. FC3 had some good sandbox gameplay in it, but it was stuck between Ubisoft's typical game structure and a lot of uninteresting linear campaign missions. I imagine FC4 is just more of the same.

myco666

The list of random players you can invade indicates who has nukes. All you had to do was search for one.

Search from where? None in my list had any and the nuclear equipped targets list was empty. Unless I've really missed something there really isn't any search option aside from the lists.

Post game spoiler:
Does anyone else find
Huey randomly
added back into your staff occasionally?

Search from where? None in my list had any and the nuclear equipped targets list was empty. Unless I've really missed something there really isn't any search option aside from the lists.

No idea. But I only have around half that number of points and can see nuke targets, I think they only enabled the nuke list recently.

myco666

Post game spoiler:
Does anyone else find
Huey randomly

No idea. But I only have around half that number of points and can see nuke targets, I think they only enabled the nuke list recently.

I haven't seen Huey added back but I've seen Quiet added back to brig.

I guess that explains it. Did they do it this week?

Gui_PT

Go to FOB Missions, the very first thing that shows up is a list of random players you can invade.

On the right side, you have the information of the player's base: Soldiers, defense level, resources and it says if they have a nuke or not.

just keep refreshing til you find a player with a nuke.

E: But if they've fixed the nuclear equipped targets list, you don't have to search at all now

Post game spoiler:
Does anyone else find
Huey randomly

Yes. I haven't tested it but it seems like it happens whenever I have an opening and
he
gets forced out once someone with a higher rating is available.

I just wish I could get rid of a couple really low ranked guys that at this point are just wastes of space.

Top Bottom