• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

Gui_PT

Okay so I've been deciding to make my sole FOB infiltration purpose to steal and disarm nukes. (doing it non-lethally to avoid retaliation wormholes)

Great thing is, if you steal a nuke at the command center's first platform ( the last one you get to that contains the core, it's where they always are) even if you steal it and get caught before making it up to the core, you keep the nukes! And as a plus, as long as you dont kill or fulton anyone no Retaliatory wormhole opens.

-Last friday I successfully stole 1 nuke before my own first nuke even finished development. Disarmed it and got a nice 1000+ heroism.
-Yesterday I stole 3 nukes from a platform but got caught, disarmed them for 3000+ heroism.
-Today I just stole 4 nukes from a platform and MADE it to the core! Here's what I discovered:

you only get a few Espionage points for extracting the nukes, lol. but if you make it... you make a TON of Espionage points.

In that above run, I only knocked out 2 guards with a run-up-and-knock-out method, and I bided my time when watching guard patterns, I didnt have to tranq anyone or use any electric decoys, I did use Noctocyanin once though (when i was on the final platform).

Three things of note, do these at night, if you are sneaking to make it around a corner and a guard can KINDA see you, dont stop- keep going- use the repeated dive and crawl thing to get out of line of sight and you'll be fine. And if you get to the 1st platform (where the nukes are) if you steal them, guards close enough will notice but they will kneel down and call CP to go into a search mode, giving you enough time to steal at least 4 nukes before they get down to you to investigate. When this happens, they break their normal patrol route and most head to ground level, allowing you to sneak past them and get to the top of the command platform and get to the core much faster than normal.

Gui_PT, I had never thought of using the stun arm, seems only useful for a few seconds though as another guard will probably discover one of the stunned ones and put the base on search mode. But i will try it instead of the rocket arm to knock guards out around corners, since the stun arm seems to have not height limit, and could make infiltration command platform core's super easy.

Edit: Just saw this... oh so tempting!

Also, for some reason my FOB menu for "Nuclear Equipped Targets" used to only show between 1-4 people to invade, but now for some reason (same time as i got past 300k heroism) now the menu seems to be stacked, packed to the brim.
It's WAY easier to find people with nukes now! :D

That's pretty cool!
The only time I tried to steal a nuke, I was about to shoot those pressure triggers that start an alert if anything is fultoned and as soon as I shot it, something near me exploded and I died... last time I tried that. But I'll give it a go again. Thanks!

J.EM1

Question about FOB:

I've been playing offline since release day. Now I plan to get the Platinum and the FOB trophy is the last one I need, however, I have no intention of playing FOBs ever (and will go back to playing offline). Should I just build one FOB platform with security measures or build all 4 platforms?

Question about FOB:

I've been playing offline since release day. Now I plan to get the Platinum and the FOB trophy is the last one I need, however, I have no intention of playing FOBs ever (and will go back to playing offline). Should I just build one FOB platform with security measures or build all 4 platforms?

build all 4 so your core is harder to get to. and put max security on it and customize the guard placements for coverage of all entry and exits to bridges between platforms.

Dez

Huh? What does calling in a new loadout or equipment have anything to do with pride? It's a normal part of the game.

Well In this case you're supposed to protect Quiet, and I had no ammo. Meanwhile I was cowering in the corner waiting for the battle dress, and then had to wait again for more rocket ammo. it just felt wrong.

NeoGiff

I'm trying to get the last task on the Hellbound mission (
extract Huey without him taking damage
), and it's really fucking pissing me off.

I can successfully get out of the base and trigger the cutscene with
Skull Face (and I know not to skip it). I then put Huey in the truck and manage to get through Sahelanthropus' legs. However, it always hits me with one shot just after I get through its legs. It damages me, so it damages Huey too
. I've seen people using the exact same method and timing in videos, and they don't get hit with the single shot. It's infuriating me right now and I'd appreciate any insight or help you guys could give me.

Coreda

I've been playing offline since release day.

Speaking of which the way the game handles offline play is inexplicable.

It can't be launched in Steam's offline mode if an internet connection is present (the 'restart Steam in Online mode' popup appears) yet can be launched if the connection is physically disconnected while in Steam's offline mode. Strange as the game has an internal 'Offline Mode' and can during gameplay handle losses of connectivity.

Especially if your playstyle is non-lethal, since developing 90% of the weapons is a waste of time and resources.

I hate how the game has so few non-lethal weapons. The stun assault rifle takes forever to unlock, and requires so many resources on each deployment that I have to actually go out and farm in order to break even.

Ludicrous.

Agreed.

Also for the ones who have too much GMP those grade 7 MRS 71 and 73 rifles should fill some need. Pick either 1.9mil + 20k precious metal to develop and 17k to deploy or the tantalizing bargain of 1.8mil + 420 Digitalis Lutea + 1680 Purpurea to develop and 16k to deploy. All with marginally better stats than the grade 5 versions.

This game's price scaling is a hoot.

So, if I'm interested in doing more FOB defense missions should I just support as many users as I can? Are there any tricks to like, finding the best people to offer my support to? Currently I just choose everyone who has the best FOB.

Gui_PT

Skull Face (and I know not to skip it). I then put Huey in the truck and manage to get through Sahelanthropus' legs. However, it always hits me with one shot just after I get through its legs. It damages me, so it damages Huey too
. I've seen people using the exact same method and timing in videos, and they don't get hit with the single shot. It's infuriating me right now and I'd appreciate any insight or help you guys could give me.

What I did was
run away and put Huey down in some corner since Sehalenthropus doesn't care about him. Hide somewhere(I hid in the far back of the base) til Sahelanthropus stops running around looking for you.

When that happens, go pick Huey back up and take your time to carefully sneak past Sahelanthropus.

So, if I'm interested in doing more FOB defense missions should I just support as many users as I can? Are there any tricks to like, finding the best people to offer my support to? Currently I just choose everyone who has the best FOB.

That would work. Players with a lot of resources and high ranks.
Also, if you can, support players with nukes. They're constantly being attacked.

NeoGiff

What I did was
run away and put Huey down in some corner since Sehalenthropus doesn't care about him. Hide somewhere(I hid in the far back of the base) til Sahelanthropus stops running around looking for you.

When that happens, go pick Huey back up and take your time to carefully sneak past Sahelanthropus.

I hadn't considered doing this. Thanks, I'll try it later!

Edit: It worked on my first attempt. Thank you!

i'm doing my s-rank runs and i was sooooo happy to learn that you could (episode 18)
fulton the 5 children in the blood runs deep if you tranq them
. it also took me almost 2 hours to complete it because i wanted to get all the tasks and i still got an s-rank

cj_iwakura

Heh, I finished my replay of No More Heroes, and Robin Atkin Downes isn't the only NMH vet in MGSV. James Horan(Skull Face) was the voice of Harvey Molokovich Volodarskii. Quinton Flynn(Raiden) was Sir Henry MF Cooldown, too.

RangerBAD

Always use a low rank guy to get a better multiplier for espionage points. I managed to do a day infiltration without getting caught and got like 10,000 points.

I haven't updated my game because I don't feel like building my FOB yet...and after updating my PS4 and the game was automatically updated as well, and now I can't proceed in my single player game without building a FOB :/

Gui_PT

I'm confused as to why there's a GMP limit

There's already a limit on how many items you can develop at the same time, and you get to a point where you've developed everything in the game... so why the limit?

I haven't updated my game because I don't feel like building my FOB yet...and after updating my PS4 and the game was automatically updated as well, and now I can't proceed in my single player game without building a FOB :/

HA! Same thing happened to me in regards to updating the PS4, but since I was pretty much almost done with the platinum, I just disconnected the network connection and never agreed to the online terms, which prevented my resources from being stored online. I also built up the FOB a little too before the patch, so it really helped me out with developing gear. Too bad you weren't as lucky. On the brightside, I wasn't invaded for like a month after I built the FOB and I don't pan on going back to check.

Gui_PT

I always skip the info when booting the game. How it works at current event and how much you can get tops?

I don't remember, the amount of coins you get depends on how many espionage points you earn for an infiltration

Least you can get is 50 coins I believe, can't remember the most you can get
This ends on the 10th btw

J.EM1

Oh man. Want this! But I'm sure that R&D level req will be super high. :/

pic02_b.jpg

myco666

I don't remember, the amount of coins you get depends on how many espionage points you earn for an infiltration

Least you can get is 50 coins I believe, can't remember the most you can get
This ends on the 10th btw

Just checked from the konami website and 200 is the most and you need 200k for it. Let's see if I have time to do some infiltrations today.

Gui_PT

Just checked from the konami website and 200 is the most and you need 200k for it. Let's see if I have time to do some infiltrations today.

Yeah I just checked. If anyone else is interested and is lazy like me:

Infiltrate FOBs and get tons of GMP

Reward: 1,000,000GMP
5th to maintenance on the 10th

Perform 1 FOB mission during the period. Training and visits do not count.

Awarded on the 10th

-----------------------------
FOB MB Coin reward event
Earn espionage points in FOB mission and get MB Coins

30-99 points 30 coins
100-999 points 50 coins
1000-1999 points 70 coins
2000-9999 points 80 coins
10,000-199,999 points 100 coins
over 200,000 points: 200 coins

From the 5th to maintenance on the 10th

Just earn espionage points during the event period!
*During event period, you will not suffer any penalties/subtractions to your espionage points (excluding disconnect penalties)
*Espionage points earned before the event begins do not count

Reward given on the 10th at maintenance

Akiller

So , i wanted to give the JP voices a try but the only thing i've got is a blackscreen after launching the game with the JP voice pack downloaded.

Some information regarding the upcoming (maybe tomorrow?) November update : http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/tpp/en/news/update201511.php5

New weapons, Gun Cam, Anti-Reflex and Stealth Mode Effect look cool. lol at "The long-awaited FOB 3 is finally unlocked!"

one of those screneshots lists the FOB3 level 1 (base) build cost at 9 million GMP. GMP cap going up, confirmed!

Also holy hell I'm going to have to farm Side Op 117 for a couple of hours to earn that much GMP wow. I just barely started building my 2nd FOB and those upgrade are expensive as hell and require both GMP and materials farming and then subsequent idling to process all the farmed materials... UGH they purposely extended gameplay time by not allowing offline material processing. hell.

anyone delete their save file and start a new game?

what happened to all the server-side stuff like your FOB, PvP stats (Invasions, Defenses), Trial Records and such (since they're probably server-side for the global records), etc...

i heard that if you start a new game, now that so much is stored online, all those online resources actually transfer to a new game ;p was curious what else transfers

BadAss2961

Fuck Misson 45 and fuck this stupid game, i'm out.
Sounds like you need a good launcher. A maxed out CGM 25 will take care of everything.

If you think just completing the mission is hard, wait until you try extracting all those tanks and armored vehicles. lol

KOMANI

KOMANI

I did it by
running right through his legs... And kept running, hugging the left side of the terrain. Then, if the coast was clear, I cut through the road at the LZ. I tried using the truck, but I found that my upgraded running speed worked better.

BadWolf

Seems they intended
Quite's
return all along according to the game code. as per reddit:

Guys this may explain the "
QUIET
_CAN_REUNION" I think it was, found in the games code. If so that means they planned to
bring her back
after some time had passed and not just to bend to fan complaints as people over on the MGS reddit have said.

Guess it makes sense because the permanent departure was unexpected, which is why some were so angry.

Well In this case you're supposed to protect Quiet, and I had no ammo. Meanwhile I was cowering in the corner waiting for the battle dress, and then had to wait again for more rocket ammo. it just felt wrong.

Oh okay, yeah that is kind of sad lol.

myco666

The new weapon and security devices requirements are absolutely ridiculous. Also, there are reports of people getting
Quiet
back by replaying Cloaked In Silence. Don't know if it's intentional or a bug, gonna try right now.

EDIT: Can confirm it works. But you do have to replay the mission several times. For more info: https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgears...st_patch_replay_cloaked_in_silence_mission_7/

FANTASTIC! Do you
lose her if you play 45 again
? Not that I am going to since fuck that mission.

edit.
Just checked the requirements for some of the stuff. Seriously lvl95 Intel team? Does everyone need to be S or above to get it that high?

JGLS

FANTASTIC! Do you
lose her if you play 45 again
? Not that I am going to since fuck that mission.

Don't know. I already have 100% completion rate and that mission is god awful, so I'm not going to replay it, either. The Staff Lvl and resources requirements don't bother me that much actually. It's obvious a 2nd FOB is needed for them and they've been giving free MB coins to do so. However, the medicinal plants requirements are FUBAR. Also, does anyone know what the Liquid Carbon Missiles and the Anti-Ballistic Missiles on the PF Grade do?

Sigh, when are they going to fix the Nuclear Equipped tab on PC? It's still busted.

myco666

Don't know. I already have 100% completion rate and that mission is god awful, so I'm not going to replay it, either. The Staff Lvl and resources requirements don't bother me that much actually. It's obvious a 2nd FOB is needed for them and they've been giving free MB coins to do so. However, the medicinal plants requirements are FUBAR. Also, does anyone know what the Liquid Carbon Missiles and the Anti-Ballistic Missiles on the PF Grade do?

Ahh... Well I haven't been logging every day so I am little short on MB coins (755). I guess I have to wait to get more coins then.

Gui_PT

Basically this update is Konami saying

BUILD MORE FOBS! BUY MORE MB COINS OR YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO DEVELOP ANYTHING AND YOU WILL BE AT A DISADVANTAGE.

myco666

They actually added weapon that you can already get via customization? I mean I already have Sevral AMR-7 with silencer and bigger clip so why would I want to pay insane amount of GMP and resources for it?

Top Bottom