• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

myco666

Oh nice - that's tempting but at this point I'm rusty enough that I would probably fail all but the easiest fobs lol

There is a event FOB that is 2/4 platforms with 12 guards. It is piss easy but good training for learning platform layouts and some guard movement. You get around 1.5million GMP each time you are succesful and you won't get retaliated if you screw up.

BadWolf

The Codec - Stefanie Joosten Interview #2: Quiet In-Depth Discussion

The first interview if you missed it is here. It takes place before the game released and the second one above is after.

She's so adorable, damn.

Seems there isn't much cut content related to Quiet in the game. She said that pretty much everything she did mo-cap for was used in the game, aside from an alternate ending to the rain scene.

Lots of good behind the scenes info and character discussion. She did full mo-cap and voicing so she talks about everything (Huey's VA only did face capture and voice, for example).

I really like these interviewers, they seem to be really big MGS fans and ask all the right questions (they ask her about the Chico is Quiet theory lol).

I know that you completed the task, but for the future, you can listen to all the conversations afar on the rooftop across the helipad.
When you say "the rooftop across the helipad", do you mean the rooftop next to the helipad, or the one across the other side of the runway from it? If it's the latter, are you sure you can hear the conversation
in the southern-most hanger
from there?

BadAss2961

About online combat deployments since the update... What's the deal with everything reading a 100% chance of success on my end no matter what soldiers I pick?

KOMANI

KOMANI
When you say "the rooftop across the helipad", do you mean the rooftop next to the helipad, or the one across the other side of the runway from it? If it's the latter, are you sure you can hear the conversation
in the southern-most hanger
from there?
Across. I'm sure, because I have. You just have to move left or right on the rooftop depending where they are.
If you'd like, I can post a video.

NeoGiff

I finally platinumed it. Thanks so much to everyone who offered me tips over the last few days, I really appreciate it. Now to go back to focusing on MGO.

XvjSMeY.png

g1gHjQQ.jpg

87SvAWT.jpg

Across. I'm sure, because I have. You just have to move left or right on the rooftop depending where they are.
If you'd like, I can post a video.
I know it's probably a hassle, but it would be awesome if you could. I found that objective incredibly annoying and I never came across your technique when I was searching how to do it. It would help a lot of people I'm sure!

Coreda

Okay. I wasn't satisfied with hearsay about tranquilizer round durations, so I did some extensive testing.

DELAYS

The following is a table of measurements taken from the shot fired to the effect active. All recorded at a distance of 18 meters from stationary staff targets on Motherbase, with shots aimed at the thigh. Measured by the frame, from the gun fired to the frame the status icon changes.

Double shot delays include reload times / fire speed and are measured from the first shot.

Code:
    Grade   Weapon            Delay (seconds)   Type              
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

[4]     M2000-NL           3.242            Sniper Rifle     
            Double shot        2.839                           

[2]     Renov-ICKX TP     11.860            Sniper Rifle     
            Double shot        3.275                         

[4]     Burkov TB         12.998            Handgun      
            Double shot        2.722                       

[2]     WU S.Pistol       22.251            Handgun  
            Double shot        6.667

• The trusty WU pistol is by far the slowest of those tested and during the single shot recording I almost fired twice as it looked as though one shot wasn't going to be effective.
  • The Burkov TB recorded the fastest double shot take-down but the terrible iron sight view makes it difficult to aim, and the limited range means multiple shots are almost always neccessary at longer distances, even for laser-guided headshots (this also shortens the life-span of the suppressor).
  • Unsurprisingly the M2000-NL sniper rifle was the all-round winner with the double shot delay barely shorter than the single shot. On the field depending on the accuracy and speed of the player reload the enemy would be down even before a second shot would even be necessary.
  • The Renov's longer single shot delay makes is less effective than the M2000-NL but depending on your play style may be a better alternative in instances where you'd like to incapacitate a crowded guarded area without the same sudden alerts caused by instant take-downs. By shooting each guard in an un-armored body part one after another you have enough delay to create a domino effect.

DURATIONS

After testing the handguns twice each, and the rifles six times (two at 18m, two at 83m, and two at 67m in the field) it's clear that the game randomizes the tranq duration upon deployment. Sometimes less sometimes more.

Measuring in identical conditions at Motherbase the weapons all performed similarly, between 7:30-8 minutes during the first test. (ironically the WU pistol duration lasted 16 seconds less when fired twice but that was the only anomaly).

During a second test the weapons lasted between 5:07-5:16 minutes each, regardless of whether firing single or double shots. Which led me to suspect and then confirm the randomized tranquilizer round durations.

Tested on the field in Africa at 67 meters the Renov and M2000-NL lasted 3:45.134 and 3.44.994 minutes, respectively. Again, demonstrating the varying durations when tested.

CONCLUSION

So there you have it. The durations are mostly identical across weapons but are randomized upon deployment. Of more importance is the delay between fire and effect. After testing the delays in multiple deployments I can confirm they remain consistent. Hope this is useful in deciding upon a non-lethal load out :)

Socreges

Banned
Nearing the end game...

Emmerich was sent away on a boat just now. I was curious how much game I had left...

Apparently 2 more missions (45/46). But in order to unlock them I'd need to be at Side-op 150. And in order to unlock 150 I'd need to max out my bond with Quiet. Among other things.

Seriously? I have zero bond with her. This will take hours. So...

How can I quickly bond with Quiet? Beyond just using her in missions.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I finally platinumed it. Thanks so much to everyone who offered me tips over the last few days, I really appreciate it. Now to go back to focusing on MGO.
Congrats.
I know it's probably a hassle, but it would be awesome if you could. I found that objective incredibly annoying and I never came across your technique when I was searching how to do it. It would help a lot of people I'm sure!
No problem. I'll record it tomorrow morning and post here when I'm done.

Xun

Nearing the end game...

Emmerich was sent away on a boat just now. I was curious how much game I had left...

Apparently 2 more missions (45/46). But in order to unlock them I'd need to be at Side-op 150. And in order to unlock 150 I'd need to max out my bond with Quiet. Among other things.

Seriously? I have zero bond with her. This will take hours. So...

How can I quickly bond with Quiet? Beyond just using her in missions.
Just do side ops.

Chances are you'll unlock episode 46 soon, with 45 becoming unlocked when you've bonded completely with Quiet.

CONCLUSION

So there you have it. The durations are mostly identical across weapons but are randomized upon deployment. Of more importance is the delay between fire and effect. After testing the delays in multiple deployments I can confirm they remain consistent. Hope this is useful in deciding upon a non-lethal load out :)

Interesting, could it be based on certain plant stockpiles rather than straight random?

NeoGiff

The Serval + Suppressor + NVG +
Infinity Bandana
combo is incredibly OP. Great for rushing through the last few mission tasks.

Is there any reason to keep extra vehicles? I have at least 30 of every type (some are into the 50s) and I noticed last night I can actually sell them all regardless of them being on motherbase or not. So I was considering just selling all until like 5 remain for each type. As far as I can tell they're only used for an occasional dispatch mission, or if I decide to take them onto the field. The only time I ever bothered with vehicles on the field was when unlocking the emblem that required it. So am I safe to just pawn them off for a quick GMP boost?

Is there any reason to keep extra vehicles? I have at least 30 of every type (some are into the 50s) and I noticed last night I can actually sell them all regardless of them being on motherbase or not. So I was considering just selling all until like 5 remain for each type. As far as I can tell they're only used for an occasional dispatch mission, or if I decide to take them onto the field. The only time I ever bothered with vehicles on the field was when unlocking the emblem that required it. So am I safe to just pawn them off for a quick GMP boost?

Yeah you don't need them. I imagine they give your PF grade battles a boost but that's a very minor thing.

Okay. I wasn't satisfied with hearsay about tranquilizer round durations, so I did some extensive testing.

DELAYS

The following is a table of measurements taken from the shot fired to the effect active. All recorded at a distance of 18 meters from stationary staff targets on Motherbase, with shots aimed at the thigh. Measured by the frame, from the gun fired to the frame the status icon changes.

Double shot delays include reload times / fire speed and are measured from the first shot.

Code:
    Grade   Weapon            Delay (seconds)   Type              
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

[4]     M2000-NL           3.242            Sniper Rifle     
            Double shot        2.839                           

[2]     Renov-ICKX TP     11.860            Sniper Rifle     
            Double shot        3.275                         

[4]     Burkov TB         12.998            Handgun      
            Double shot        2.722                       

[2]     WU S.Pistol       22.251            Handgun  
            Double shot        6.667

• The trusty WU pistol is by far the slowest of those tested and during the single shot recording I almost fired twice as it looked as though one shot wasn't going to be effective.
  • The Burkov TB recorded the fastest double shot take-down but the terrible iron sight view makes it difficult to aim, and the limited range means multiple shots are almost always neccessary at longer distances, even for laser-guided headshots (this also shortens the life-span of the suppressor).
  • Unsurprisingly the M2000-NL sniper rifle was the all-round winner with the double shot delay barely shorter than the single shot. On the field depending on the accuracy and speed of the player reload the enemy would be down even before a second shot would even be necessary.
  • The Renov's longer single shot delay makes is less effective than the M2000-NL but depending on your play style may be a better alternative in instances where you'd like to incapacitate a crowded guarded area without the same sudden alerts caused by instant take-downs. By shooting each guard in an un-armored body part one after another you have enough delay to create a domino effect.

DURATIONS

After testing the handguns twice each, and the rifles six times (two at 18m, two at 83m, and two at 67m in the field) it's clear that the game randomizes the tranq duration upon deployment. Sometimes less sometimes more.

Measuring in identical conditions at Motherbase the weapons all performed similarly, between 7:30-8 minutes during the first test. (ironically the WU pistol duration lasted 16 seconds less when fired twice but that was the only anomaly).

During a second test the weapons lasted between 5:07-5:16 minutes each, regardless of whether firing single or double shots. Which led me to suspect and then confirm the randomized tranquilizer round durations.

Tested on the field in Africa at 67 meters the Renov and M2000-NL lasted 3:45.134 and 3.44.994 minutes, respectively. Again, demonstrating the varying durations when tested.

CONCLUSION

Does rank have an effect on it? Is someone S ranked or higher in the medical stat have more effective tranquilizers than someone E ranked? Just wondering since those stats come with benefits in other areas, the medical stat increases the duration of the drug effects for the ones you take so I figure it might make sense that it has an effect on tranquilizers too but I haven't bothered to test it.

myco666

Infinity Bandana

This has been my go to setup for few weeks. It breaks every single encounter. Even Skulls die in one shot with that. I also put the scope from M2000 to it.

Yeah you don't need them. I imagine they give your PF grade battles a boost but that's a very minor thing.

Cool. That'll save me some farming time tonight. I've got to have at least 2-3 million GMP in vehicles just sitting there.

Infinity Bandana

I feel stupid asking, but what's 'The Serval'?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. I've been calling it the 'anti-material rifle', so its actual name didn't register.

How do I take advantage of the current FOB bonuses? I'm only getting about 750k GMP and I don't think I'm getting the resource bonus. Does it only proc when you successfully do it without an alert? Also am I not supposed to be fultoning the containers to get the resource bonus (I think so but there's a 'resources recovered' score at the end that's always 0)?

Coreda

Does rank have an effect on it? Is someone S ranked or higher in the medical stat have more effective tranquilizers than someone E ranked? Just wondering since those stats come with benefits in other areas, the medical stat increases the duration of the drug effects for the ones you take so I figure it might make sense that it has an effect on tranquilizers too but I haven't bothered to test it.

Wouldn't think so, with all the different results using the same character in identical conditions. Haven't tried using someone S ranked in medical, so can't say if it has any other effect on tranq duration either way.

Interesting, could it be based on certain plant stockpiles rather than straight random?

Would be an odd way to design it but considering the weapons only consumed a couple dozen plants total (out of hundreds/thousands stored) it seems unlikely.

Originally decided to test the durations after capturing a guard post east of Bwala ya Masa where I noticed the guards awoke much earlier than I'm used to. Thought it was the Renov I was using but later tests showed a similar duration for the M2000-NL. Seeing as it was a short duration to begin with (prior to the first recorded tests), then longer (back at MB), then shorter again it seemed to me to be random. Can't rule out the possibility though.

It may be that Motherbase durations are randomized and on the field durations are based on which area you're in (eg: small posts = short durations, large bases = longer). I've only measured one on the field location so I'd have to test a few others to be sure (can take a while to record :p).

cheez124

i remember reading somewhere that enemy KO/sleep durations were based on their covert actions preparedness level (the camera icon on the map).

Coreda

i remember reading somewhere that enemy KO/sleep durations were based on their covert actions preparedness level (the camera icon on the map).

This would explain a lot. There also may be simple explaination for the apparent randomness at Motherbase: different staff have different tranquilizer tolerances.

The way to test this would be to always target the same staff member after re-deployment, which I didn't consider doing during the tests (you'd think the game would let you know if this was a feature).

Gui_PT

Yo homies I need an opinion

I can only develop 3 more items before this 10x FOB reward ends(so I can get all that money back quickly)

I'm going to develop the battle dress, the drone and I can't pick between the 3 laserbeam...thingy and the ranged anti-theft device.

Which one do you guys think I should go with?

I would choose ranged theft device easily.
what's the difference between 2 and 3 beam? Can you dive through a 2 beam? They're very easy to avoid anyhow.

I wish I had the levels to buy more stuff, got 25million gmp or something

Gui_PT

Haven't finished the 2 beam so don't know

Still don't have the level required for the anti theft device but I should have 2 more platforms by the time I the game lets me develop another item

I've got some missions going that sacrifice a load of s ranks to get a smaller number of s+ ranks in return, not sure where.that'll get me but I'm not convinced by the claims of needing a 3rd fob to max everything.
If I hover 100 troops over one of my 200 troop units it tells me it would raise it to level 92 already.

Mathezar

Guys, can anyone help me, this game is really starting to piss me off. I seem to be stuck, I can't select any new missions after 42. Miller said there were new missions available, but nothing is show up and I've done all required side-ops. I read about a bug but that was supposed to be patched a long time ago, I only finished mission 42 yesterday. Am I fucked?

BadWolf

Guys, can anyone help me, this game is really starting to piss me off. I seem to be stuck, I can't select any new missions after 42. Miller said there were new missions available, but nothing is show up and I've done all required side-ops. I read about a bug but that was supposed to be patched a long time ago, I only finished mission 42 yesterday. Am I fucked?

Listen to all yellow tapes
Do all yellow side ops
Do all yellow story missions

If the above are done and no new story missions are available then finishing around 3 or so side ops will do the trick.

Mathezar

Listen to all yellow tapes
Do all yellow side ops
Do all yellow story missions

If the above are done and no new story missions are available then finishing around 3 or so side ops will do the trick.
That's just it, I have no more "yellow" things to do. I will try your suggestion, I have a few "white" side-ops I haven't done. Strange if this is the key, seems like bad design to me...

BadWolf

That's just it, I have no more "yellow" things to do. I will try your suggestion, I have a few "white" side-ops I haven't done. Strange if this is the key, seems like bad design to me...

It's the same as in Peace Walker.

Keep doing regular side ops and you will get a call.

I've got some missions going that sacrifice a load of s ranks to get a smaller number of s+ ranks in return, not sure where.that'll get me but I'm not convinced by the claims of needing a 3rd fob to max everything.
If I hover 100 troops over one of my 200 troop units it tells me it would raise it to level 92 already.

I haven't really seen anyone claim you need a 3rd FOB to develop the latest gear. My 1 FOB has all facility levels at 79. But they're full of rank S+ and S++. I would need more S++ to raise it any further. So a second FOB seems to be a requirement. I won't have for a long time from free MB coins.

Edit: whoops. Looks like I meant 79, not 89.

Where'd you get so many S++ and S+?

I've just picked them up through the 250+ hours I've put into the game. I don't recall exactly where. I don't know if medals boost their actual rank but I'm constantly cycling soldiers on dispatch, event FOB, and Fulton S-rank or higher puppet soldiers to get medals.

Edit: I also have 90k heroism if that makes any difference.

Coreda

Edit: I also have 90k heroism if that makes any difference.

Doesn't the game also tie rankings of enemies found to Heroism? Read somewhere that 100k is required for A+-A++ and 200k for higher on a regular basis, and so far seems to match my experience.

Do you still find S+-S++ ranks regularly in the field? Wondering whether it's actually linked or not.

Edit: it may have been referring to volunteers not enemies found.

Doesn't the game also tie rankings of enemies found to Heroism? Read somewhere that 100k is required for A+-A++ and 200k for higher on a regular basis, and so far seems to match my experience.

Do you still find S+-S++ ranks regularly in the field? Wondering whether it's actually linked or not.

Edit: it may have been referring to volunteers not enemies found.

Regularly? No. I fulton everyone and a small portion become S+. I don't actually remember where the S++ came from, but I only have about a dozen of them.

I feel like either I'm not getting any resource bonuses from FOB invasions, or the normal amount is completely worthless. I've invaded both the event and a player controlled one and the end rewards have all been under 8k (average is probably around 1500). I sort of expected an actually noticeable amount.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm1IYgE-ZYc&feature=em-upload_owner
During the beginning of the game, I got dust in my eye, so please excuse the sloppiness.
You never have to leave either roof.
That was brilliant bad, great strategy. Thanks for going to the trouble of recording and posting it, it's appreciated.

Just as an aside, for some reason your video won't work on my phone (says "This video is not available"). I haven't come across that before, not sure why that is. Worked fine on my Mac and from the PS4 though.

Gui_PT

Yo my homies, sorry for bothering but this guy has done 2 straight 24h FOB streams and is pretty entertaining

Go check it out if you're bored or are interested in getting into FOBs and not sure where to start

http://www.twitch.tv/chewydon

E: Or at least give him a follow

KOMANI

KOMANI
That was brilliant bad, great strategy. Thanks for going to the trouble of recording and posting it, it's appreciated.

Just as an aside, for some reason your video won't work on my phone (says "This video is not available"). I haven't come across that before, not sure why that is. Worked fine on my Mac and from the PS4 though.
Thanks. I specialize on easy strategies. Check out the other videos too if you're looking for less headaches on certain missions.

Jingo

My game is buggin as hell, all the stunt soldiers never wake up and the surpressor on my rifle doesnt do anything even tought its full, i was without surpressor, asked for a supply drop, and the surpressor didnt work..

Funny you should say that , I picked up a suppressor from a base which showed as having infinite life but that didn't work either. I wonder if the update is to blame, seeing as it added a lot of infinite suppressor classes.

I get a' network error 'any time I try to build a nuke. lI think this has been problem for a while.

Gui_PT

I still don't understand retaliation

I've been caught many times with the same conditions, sometimes a retaliation hole is opened sometimes it's not

I've been caught and shot at. Sometimes the other player gets to retaliate, other times he doesn't

I've been caught and not shot at. Sometimes the other player gets to retaliate, other times he doesn't.

Caught by cameras or drones, caught by soldiers, extracted/not extracted soldiers, killed/not killed soldiers. Sometimes the other player gets to retaliate, other times he doesn't

What the hell prompts a retaliation hole?

I didn't know that was a thing, it felt to me like i'm always told unless I didn't set off alerts. Maybe getting killed sometimes won't but idk.

Top Bottom