• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

Hey, guys. Is it possible to reacquire special Mother Base staff members (such as Amber Fox) lost due to base expansion?
Can't remember who she was in particular, but most maybe all of the unique recruits can be re-acquired or even acquired multiple times. Mission objectives will just recruit a 2nd name under a name other than their unique one. The Mission 31 and 46 S+ and S++ special recruits can also be reacquired if you lost them... if you still have any of them, they won't recruit again, but if, say, Razor Hedgehog died in a Combat Deployment, he alone will be re-acquired.

Can't remember who she was in particular, but most maybe all of the unique recruits can be re-acquired or even acquired multiple times. Mission objectives will just recruit a 2nd name under a name other than their unique one. The Mission 31 and 46 S+ and S++ special recruits can also be reacquired if you lost them... if you still have any of them, they won't recruit again, but if, say, Razor Hedgehog died in a Combat Deployment, he alone will be re-acquired.

Thanks! That's good to know. Turns out I was mistaken. I didn't realize that staff were simply reassigned to the Waiting Room once the platforms started to fill up.

myco666

Still 100 MB coins short on new FOB. Please Konami give me some. Kinda want that Indian Ocean one since it has S on three resources but it costs so much I don't know if I will get it.

Chola

Banned
Fuel is not the most important resource for me anymore, i have all the base building related trophies
so what is the best FOB for me?

myco666

Fuel is not the most important resource for me anymore, i have all the base building related trophies
so what is the best FOB for me?

The one that has S in fuel. You need lot of fuel to max out your new FOB. Aren't the costs way higher on the 2nd FOB compared to 1st FOB?

Not yet. You are supposed to get the rewards at the end of the event which is 24th.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Also to answer your earlier question about 2nd FOB being more expensive, it sure is. I believe the 4/4 platforms are costing me 108k in resources. My fuel and common metals are the ones causing me issues right now.

I'm up to 20 nuke disarms. Been on a rampage stealing nukes using chewydon's FOB loadout with a sneaking suit and only sleep nades, e-stun decoys, a carboard box and nocto. non-lethal. Today I stole 7 nukes and disarmed all but 1 to keep anyone below 150k heroism from invading me, although I dont know if I should keep it if I keep getting invaded this week.

Main is the S1000 stun, rifle for cams and drones is a silenced AM-MR4-L with sleep grenade underbarrel for easy ascent of combat and command platforms (its a lifesaver). Secondcary is the URUGAN air stun variant (havent used it yet) with the Stun arm (havent used it much)

So i found out that if someone has a 2nd or 3rd FOB with only a single platform on a certain base, it still gives you the same rewards as a 4 platform version. So ive been farming combat platforms with 1 or 2 platforms on FOB 2 or 3 of randoms. :)

EDIT: I am now at 17 nukes stolen and disarmed today alone. Key is to only invade those with 4 or more nukes and then immediately disarm them once back in the ACC. I think I'm going to change my emblem to Philanthropy now. jejeje

Kindekuma

Banned
Had an interesting day with the game.

First off I finished developing my first nuke, so that threw me into Demon Snake for a while. So I replayed The White Mamba mission and instead of fultoning all the kids, I manually placed them in the middle of the village where Piquod would land after you defeat Eli. Had Quiet knock out any kids that tried to get up, kicked Eli's ass because HURR I'M A DEMON and for laughs.

Then that mission took me OUT of Demon Snake, but Steam went offline so when I got back to base normally (with a longer horn still), my men were fighting because I had gone in the red. -800K GMP when playing offline. THEN I S-ranked and completed all the side objectives for [EXTREME] Back Up, Back Down. At the end of that I was reeking and had the shower with Quiet cutscene.

Only 17% left till completion and it's becoming a slog.

cheez124

has anyone managed to get a full rip of the game's soundtrack yet? there's a lot of songs in the game that are missing from the official soundtrack. i've been looking everywhere for the song that plays in mission 46 when
venom smashes the mirror after listening to big boss's tape,
but i can't find it

gkryhewy

Had a weird issue yesterday- hoping someone here can shed some light. I'm playing on Xbox one. When I started my game (45ish hours in), I got a message saying that it couldn't sync or download my latest save, and my options were to try again or play offline.

After trying again a bunch of times and getting nowhere, I chose play offline, and everything seemed normal. It had my latest progress and all the online functionality seemed present -- eg, daily rewards, PF stuff, etc.

I made some progress, turned off the Xbox for awhile and played again later, and had the same issue. The thing that worries me is that i seem to have lost 200ish soldiers. I was in/around missions 28/29 so I know i lost some to
disease
, but not that many.

I remember people having issues where if they were offline, their FOB assets didn't count, but my game was behaving in every way as if it were online, except for the message on startup (which was in the Xbox OS font style, not the phantom pain style) and the seemingly missing soldiers.

Any suggestions? I guess I'm worried that I have some sort of sync issue between my cloud and local saves that's going to keep eating into my assets or something.

I hate that I have to worry about this nonsense because of FOB.

EDIT: tried again real quick this morning- no server/save error now, but soldiers still missing. Welp.

has anyone managed to get a full rip of the game's soundtrack yet? there's a lot of songs in the game that are missing from the official soundtrack. i've been looking everywhere for the song that plays in mission 46 when
but i can't find it

I think it's a slightly altered version of 'Return'. There's a third version that played during an early trailer for the game too.

Gui_PT

Maybe someone can help me with this...

I want to exchange my PF points for an S+ rank combat unit soldier but when I try to do it I get a message saying I'm already at max capacity... I even dismissed people in the waiting room and removed a soldier from the combat unit but it'll still give me the same message

Maybe someone can help me with this...

I want to exchange my PF points for an S+ rank combat unit soldier but when I try to do it I get a message saying I'm already at max capacity... I even dismissed people in the waiting room and removed a soldier from the combat unit but it'll still give me the same message

I was only able to buy a S+ combat unit when some died from a combat deployment. I too tried dismissing one before and it failed. Weird thing is I never found out who the new soldier was. I sorted all my soldiers by newest recruits and didn't see a S+ combat unit anywhere near the newest.

Gui_PT

I was only able to buy a S+ combat unit when some died from a combat deployment. I too tried dismissing one before and it failed. Weird thing is I never found out who the new soldier was. I sorted all my soldiers by newest recruits and didn't see a S+ combat unit anywhere near the newest.

Well nevermind that S+ then lol Thank you

Think I'm about done with this game. I was trying really hard to be able to unlock the new stuff but it's seemingly impossible unless you're willing to invest countless hours or real life money. I've spent the only 2-3 hours I can afford a night for the last week trying to get a second FOB upgraded so I can get the staff requirement to develop weapons, and the progress was basically all lost due to FOB invasions jacking my limited resources. This garbage is really spoiling the game for me. I have no interest in invading other people for their resources. I shouldn't be required to make other people's lives harder in order to unlock gear in a game.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Think I'm about done with this game. I was trying really hard to be able to unlock the new stuff but it's seemingly impossible unless you're willing to invest countless hours or real life money. I've spent the only 2-3 hours I can afford a night for the last week trying to get a second FOB upgraded so I can get the staff requirement to develop weapons, and the progress was basically all lost due to FOB invasions jacking my limited resources. This garbage is really spoiling the game for me. I have no interest in invading other people for their resources. I shouldn't be required to make other people's lives harder in order to unlock gear in a game.
its fucked up. 10 days for a battle dress upgrade? Fuck.

its fucked up. 10 days for a battle dress upgrade? Fuck.

The timers are ridiculous too. If they weren't so needlessly long I would have had the resources to complete at least 3 struts to 4/4 tonight. Instead my resources are stolen while waiting for the current upgrade to complete. I think the FOB building timers are literally put in so that the player's resources can be stolen between building times, just to encourage players to buy coins to build them faster. That's just so dirty. I regret getting this game on PS4. At least on PC I could cheat engine resources or something.

KOMANI

KOMANI
The timers are ridiculous too. If they weren't so needlessly long I would have had the resources to complete at least 3 struts to 4/4 tonight. Instead my resources are stolen while waiting for the current upgrade to complete. I think the FOB building timers are literally put in so that the player's resources can be stolen between building times, just to encourage players to buy coins to build them faster. That's just so dirty. I regret getting this game on PS4. At least on PC I could cheat engine resources or something.
I have to leave my ps4 on all day. The FoB intruder alarm has now become my personal wake up call.
I've been re-playing Peacewalker simultaneously, and those development times are refreshing.

i stole 17 nukes today, disarmed them all. learned to disarm them immediately because PC players will invade your ass right away if you carry a nuke lol

myco666

I agree. I wouldn't mind the system as much if you weren't 'forced' to do it. At its core the FOB system is really neat and interesting but the balancing of resources is fucked way too hard to make it too necessary.

I agree. I wouldn't mind the system as much if you weren't 'forced' to do it. At its core the FOB system is really neat and interesting but the balancing of resources is fucked way too hard to make it too necessary.

If FOB was just a competitive back-and-forth without any real consequences towards the rest of the game I would enjoy it like I am MGO. As it stands now I have to choose between targeting less developed, likely newer players, and taking their supplies (which makes me feel bad), or attempt more developed bases which I don't have the time or desire to practice getting good at in order to succeed, but likely open myself for retaliation (which makes me frustrated). I actually did try to retaliate against someone who invaded me, mostly to get my resources back, but the person had 3 decked out FOBs and I was not prepared at all so I was literally spotted within 3 steps by a UAV and then obliterated. My original plan was to just work on people who carry nukes, but I've not once been able to find a nuclear FOB that wasn't already being infiltrated. So it's boring 2/4 Mosquito FOBs over and over and over for me.

And now a question related to FOBs, is there anyway to lower my rank? I think the 100+ runs I did of Mosquito's base raised me to a more active FOB pool. I had never gotten invaded until recently after I farmed the hell out of the events. If I can just drop my rank back into the garbage tier then maybe I can completely avoid this whole garbage system. If I just fail a bunch of event runs will that lower me?

BubbaMc

but i can't find it

Speaking of the soundtrack, what are your thoughts on the Ludvig Forssell score? He had some very big shoes to fill, replacing HGW, but I think he's done a pretty decent job, especially for such a young bloke.

I look forward to hearing him more in the future on other projects.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Well, I think I reached my limit. After 45 hours of gameplay, Mission 16 completely broke me. I see absolutely no way to avoid the enemies that appear in that mission (
The Skulls
) once they appear, while being able to complete the objective. I was able to
extract the truck
once, but they swarmed me immediately and killed me in a matter of seconds.

I don't think I can go on, much to my dismay.

BadWolf

Well, I think I reached my limit. After 45 hours of gameplay, Mission 16 completely broke me. I see absolutely no way to avoid the enemies that appear in that mission (
The Skulls
extract the truck

Just kill them, D-Walker's gatling gun cuts through them like butter.

Gui_PT

The Skulls
extract the truck

Someone posted this earlier. Hope it helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHiUgQKOfTU

If I can just drop my rank back into the garbage tier then maybe I can completely avoid this whole garbage system. If I just fail a bunch of event runs will that lower me?

Not immediately, but if you're in the bottom of your group it will move you down when it updates. At least I think that's what happwns.
I'm not sure if it's once a week like pf grade, or more frequent.

Gui_PT

FOB was implemented really poorly.
So many people can't have a nice experience because other people keep invading it's just stupid

You can Direct Contract soldiers, you should be able to "direct contract" resources too(only a small percentage of your total), preventing other players from stealing them

Do FOBs generate online resources while you're not playing? If so then I might just have to save up enough MB to relocate my 2nd to the place with S in Common Metals/Fuel/Bio(?). At least then I'd be generating in greater quantities the two resources I struggle with the most. Also I would have included a way to convert resources, at the very least the metals. I mean, there's even a canon in-game means in doing this
using metallic archaea
. Just use some equations like ...

1 bio + 2 common = 1 minor
1 bio + 1 minor = 2 common
1 bio + 5 minor = 1 precious
1 bio + 1 precious = 5 minor

Bio is included as a representation of the archaea microbes.

In a way you could even generate 'fuel' and just say you're making use of the energy generated during the conversion.

Alternatively, yeah, they could have just made it so you can't steal resources under a certain limit. I think it would have been more than fair to lock off resource theft of anything under 100k. At least then there's just that 8k a person would risk loosing if they were saving for a 4/4 strut of their 2nd FOB. The meta is that the other PFs are a threat to yours. So bullying smaller FOBs that have no nukes or resources seems silly.

So today in the span of about 3 hours I stole and dismantled a total of 39 Nukes, most 4 at a time. Streamed about 34 of those steals, if anyone is interested you can check the last broadcast VOD on my twitch for the non-lethal strat. :)

Damn I love this game.

Coreda

Tried the Gunman skill with a non-Snake character. Reflex time honestly didn't seem much longer, giving me just enough time to fire the M2000-NL twice with a reload in-between.

Also either the game models didn't update previously or I must have been blind but the faces of the characters look far better up close than I remember.

acc-2regularbalaclava4irw3.jpg

Feel like a right ninja with the sneak suit and alternate headgear. For some reason the sneak suit allows all headgear types but not other outfits.

The only problem is the sneak suit is terrible for camo. I've been spotted in dark areas at night using it in Afghanistan a number of times.

At two other times was noticed during the day in Africa at a distance of 40m+ while crouching and behind shrubbery. Compare that to wearing the Golder Tiger camo where I've been as close as 5m in front of an enemy in broad daylight and without cover while under suspicion and still avoided detection.

Various posts refer to a 'camo index' but couldn't find a list for TPP. Sneaking suit would have to be near the bottom though, gosh.

Tried the Gunman skill with a non-Snake character. Reflex time honestly didn't seem much longer, giving me just enough time to fire the M2000-NL twice with a reload in-between.
I thought it just made it the same as fully augmented Venom. The combat skills for Diamond Dog soldiers such as the faster sprinting, faster reloading can coincide with the bionic arm augments. I think the climbing upgrade is unique but wasn't there a bionic augment for reflex time.... So I thought Gunman skill made the Diamond Dog have longer reflex than default un-upgraded Venom but roughly the same as fully augmented Venom.

Coreda

I thought it just made it the same as fully augmented Venom.

So essentially it's useless :p The Mobility 1 upgrade is the one you're thinking of.

Finished mission #43. I'll be honest, brought a tear to my eye... before I noticed it used my real A++ staff (just after I stopped keeping the best staff on direct contract, too :eek:).

Progressed the story with the subsequent cutscenes involving Huey, and unlocked mission #46 which I've yet to play (not #45 due to keeping the emblem enabled). If those cutscenes are the regular 'ending' I can see why many are disappointed. Even with development halted you would think they could at least slap some credits at the end to wrap it up in some fashion.

Also, regarding the Memento Photos,
I've shown all 10 to Paz after discovering the room on the Medical platform yet the 11th photo doesn't unlock.
Anyone know how to unlock it? Been to the room several times after using the Phantom Cigar, but no luck. Edit: I see it now.

SlickVic

I hope my game didn't glitch. I could've sworn I heard the radio say to come back to base
for the Emmerich trial cutscene
but nothing happened when I actually went back there. Is it supposed to send you back automatically once it triggers? I'll do a few more side quests and hope.

Top Bottom