• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

I still don't understand retaliation

I've been caught many times with the same conditions, sometimes a retaliation hole is opened sometimes it's not

I've been caught and shot at. Sometimes the other player gets to retaliate, other times he doesn't

I've been caught and not shot at. Sometimes the other player gets to retaliate, other times he doesn't.

Caught by cameras or drones, caught by soldiers, extracted/not extracted soldiers, killed/not killed soldiers. Sometimes the other player gets to retaliate, other times he doesn't

What the hell prompts a retaliation hole?

i think its tied to if you steal any resources, fulton soldiers or kill any soldiers

Gui_PT

I've had a retaliation wormhole open by killing/not killing soldiers, stealing/not stealing resources or soldiers

It seems random because the same actions cause different results

I wish there was an official explanation somewhere

Since they patched the bug reset method, is there anyway of generating a significant amount of resources now without having to invade FOBs? I need a couple hundred K in various resources and whenever I try to infiltrate nuclear armed FOBs it says it's already being infiltrated. I know I can target non-nuke equipped bases, but I don't know, I feel like such a jerk doing it. It's the same reason I could never invade people in Dark Souls. I just feel like I could be spoiling someone's fun by jacking their stuff. I have less issue doing so to those with nukes because of the whole meta-narrative. Can I enter a mission, steal a container, hit a checkpoint, return to ACC, hit up another mission, steal a container from it, hit a checkpoint, return to ACC, go back to first mission? Or will that still trigger the diminished resource count.

BadAss2961

So i'm developing a nuke just to dismantle it and get the trophies... I won't officially have the nuke until I log in after the time is up, right? I don't wanna have to worry about someone stealing my nuke before I get the chance to dismantle it.

I still don't understand retaliation

I've been caught many times with the same conditions, sometimes a retaliation hole is opened sometimes it's not

I've been caught and shot at. Sometimes the other player gets to retaliate, other times he doesn't

I've been caught and not shot at. Sometimes the other player gets to retaliate, other times he doesn't.

Caught by cameras or drones, caught by soldiers, extracted/not extracted soldiers, killed/not killed soldiers. Sometimes the other player gets to retaliate, other times he doesn't

What the hell prompts a retaliation hole?

Yeah, I don't know sometimes if you're retaliating it won't open I think there's a limit in how many times players can go back and forth with each other. Plus it seems like you need an actual combat alert to trigger relation now but I'm not sure on that.

In another post I mentioned I was getting S+(+) recruits with 90k heroism. I just wanted to correct that. I was actually at 900k. I missed a digit.

Coreda

Here's an no Skull encounter run for Traitors Caravan, inspired by three dogg.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OHiUgQKOfT

Link is broken. Found it here.

Interesting strategy. Reminds me how long the WU pistol's tranq delay is when shooting non-armored body parts, even with multiple shots.

Thinking about it, I wonder if it's possible to order supply drops to deplete the Skulls' stamina (blue) bars for non-lethal take-downs this way, since they're not aware of your presence and are slow moving.

KOMANI

KOMANI

Interesting strategy. Reminds me how long the WU pistol's tranq delay is when shooting non-armored body parts, even with multiple shots.

Thinking about it, I wonder if it's possible to order supply drops to deplete the Skulls' stamina (blue) bars for non-lethal take-downs this way, since they're not aware of your presence and are slow moving.
Thanks. Problem with the supply drop is that the skulls are moving... Whereas the skulls in Codetalker sit one place for a bit

What mission?

I have over 1 million heroism and I only get S ranks
Yeah, I'm.... a bit under 600K or so and also just S ranks. I thought S ranks were the limit for general volunteers (which is precisely why they offer S+ and S++ through MB-coined 'quickened' Deployment Missions, I thought). I get a few here and there from events, but never as repeat mission (so, excluding the 1-time recruits from both ends) in general.

Akiller

Rotfl , Skulls Got trolled.

MrBS

20MB coins away from a second base, cmon daily login bonus!

Now around mission 40 with all side ops missions completed as I go. Fun times.

Gui_PT

I went with the 3 beam sensor instead of the ranged anti-theft device

From what I read the anti-theft has almost no range and it beeps, which lets everyone know it'll trigger an alert if you go close

Apparently the 2 beam sensor is easily avoidable if you jump between the beams so the 3 beam was the better option. If infiltrators want to take the bottom route, they either have to shoot the cameras out which will warn the guards or hang over the railings causing them to easily get caught by the drones. Either that or they'll take the top route which is dangerous for them.

Too bad it takes 10 days to develop!

Yeah I've got 3 of my 4 online dev slots on security starting yesterday. I picked faster movement speed for the cams, the 2 beam sensor, and the gun cam. 10 days on the gun cam and 4 to 3 days on the others i think. UGH.

My FOB1 is 4/4 at lvl46 and my FOB2 and FOB3 are at full 2/4 lvl 35 with all 3/4 queued up to be done about 3 days from now on all platforms. Cant wait to start doing more FOB invasions so i can start getting invaded so i can defend or let it happen and see my base defeat the invaders thanks to updated security. Yay

I'll spend the next 3 days farming resources and GMP so i can hope to pay for some 4/4 upgrades on FOB2 at least, lol. goddamn Konami

PBalfredo

I'm LTTP with MGSV, and what the hell am I suppose to do in theTraitor's Caravan mission?
I clear out one of the checkpoints and await the caravan. When it arrives I take out the jeep full of dudes and run up to the caravan to trigger the skulls appearing. I then sneak around to fulton one of the APCs, then the truck. But my helicopter can't approach for extraction because of the fog. I jumped in the remaining APC and made a run for it, but when I exited the mission zone, instead of saying "Good job exfiltrating!" Miller goes "Why are you such a coward, Big Boss? FISSION MAILED!" Meanwhile Skulls are shooting me from every direction and there is no cover in Africa, not that it matters since those fuckers teleport everywhere. I came loaded with grenade and rocket launchers, but those guys just shrug off everything and I run out of ammo before I can take them out.

Coreda

I'm LTTP with MGSV, and what the hell am I suppose to do in theTraitor's Caravan mission?

Similar thing occurred on my first run. Ended up
fultoning the target truck first then hightailing it through the doors of the main building and out into the open area where on the left a half dozen containers are located.

Skulls will be shooting at you while you run but jump atop one of the containers and fulton extract it while holding on to the fulton (assuming you have the cargo upgrade to do this). If you manage to extract the truck fast enough the speed of this method grants an S rank for the mission, too.

cheez124

I clear out one of the checkpoints and await the caravan. When it arrives I take out the jeep full of dudes and run up to the caravan to trigger the skulls appearing. I then sneak around to fulton one of the APCs, then the truck. But my helicopter can't approach for extraction because of the fog. I jumped in the remaining APC and made a run for it, but when I exited the mission zone, instead of saying "Good job exfiltrating!" Miller goes "Why are you such a coward, Big Boss? FISSION MAILED!" Meanwhile Skulls are shooting me from every direction and there is no cover in Africa, not that it matters since those fuckers teleport everywhere. I came loaded with grenade and rocket launchers, but those guys just shrug off everything and I run out of ammo before I can take them out.
maybe they shot down the fulton you put on the truck and you just didn't notice? i've heard they can do that, although it didn't happen on my playthrough, thank god.

also, does kaz really call BB a coward? what an ass

Coreda

maybe they shot down the fulton you put on the truck and you just didn't notice? i've heard they can do that, although it didn't happen on my playthrough, thank god.

Yeah, that too. The very first thing I did after the cutscene was fulton it, then run for the main building to divert their attention so they didn't break the fulton.

Alternatively a stealth strategy, avoiding an encounter completely:

Gui_PT

That awkward interaction :lol

I love the sound of the magazine hitting his face

Woah woah woah hold up there. I haven't been up to date with all this FOB defense and shit, but is it seriously 10 real time days to develop that?

The items in this new update are Online Development Items so yeah while they keep developing even if you're not in the game, they take 5 to 10 days to develop AND you can only develop 4 at a time

Gui_PT

Raiden looks super broken. Hopefully that is not the case. Having Skulls as security seems to be cool idea though.

Terribly broken, yes

I love that you can place cameras where you wish but the broken raiden look annoying and I never really enjoyed any of the Skull encounters in the game

cheez124

i don't think i'll ever try an actual invasion at this rate. i've been doing events and stuff in hopes of getting good enough to try attacking a real player, but now with skulls and people being able to place cameras/mines everywhere, it's just too much. guess i'll stick to the events and practice runs

doesn't help that FOBs are so damn cramped. i would enjoy them much more if the actual platforms were bigger and had more interior areas

Saven

Banned
I had a dream that

I was playing MGSV, went up a few stairs and got a message that Chapter 3 has been unlocked. I was so stunned that I had to go to Gaf to confirm if it wasn't a glitch, but I couldn't get to Gaf for some reason. And then I woke up. :(

I had a dream that

I was playing MGSV, went up a few stairs and got a message that Chapter 3 has been unlocked. I was so stunned that I had to go to Gaf to confirm if it wasn't a glitch, but I couldn't get to Gaf for some reason. And then I woke up. :(
I've had a chapter 3 dream before. Don't remember what it was exactly though
The phantom pain is REEEAAL

BadWolf

SP content would require them to actually create something new.

The FOB stuff is mostly just asset recycling for MP, it's probably just a small team going at it.

If they added some permanent 'event' style FOB invasions against NPC bases to enjoy as a single-player experience then I'd welcome the addition. Otherwise it looks like more stuff I have not much interest in.

J.EM1

If they added some permanent 'event' style FOB invasions against NPC bases to enjoy as a single-player experience then I'd welcome the addition. Otherwise it looks like more stuff I have not much interest in.
I can get behind that. Or some Skulls horde mode.

It looks like the Skulls event thing is accessed through a VR Mission-like menu ("Challenge Tasks List") that has resource/vehicle icons with numbers on the right edge of each "mission"/"event" listing that probably indicates rewards for clearing that event. This might provide a way to farm the rarer resources without invading FOBs. Hoping they do neat things with it but it would more likely end up being another vehicle for pushing microtransactions.

myco666

I do hope we get story dlc for free. Because ...you know... the game's not finished

Only thing that is really missing storywise is mission 51. Otherwise the story is complete atleast in my opinion.

It looks like the Skulls event thing is accessed through a VR Mission-like menu ("Challenge Tasks List") that has resource/vehicle icons with numbers on the right edge of each "mission"/"event" listing that probably indicates rewards for clearing that event. This might provide a way to farm the rarer resources without invading FOBs. Hoping they do neat things with it but it would more likely end up being another vehicle for pushing microtransactions.

I don't think there is any possibility that they wouldn't try pushing more microtransactions which is really sad.

Maybe we'll get battle gear as secret bonus in this update lol.
#Believe

I was thinking it'd be neat to have an FOB platform where you face off with tanks or walkers in an arena style platform, working your way up to a battle gear. But then I realized this is new Konami who is all about screwing the player for profits, so it'd probably be restricted to a new type of platform which can only be built after 3 complete FOBs, required a million of every resource, and take 30 days to develop.

poodpick

Can your FOB get invaded if you don't have ps plus? Thinking of doing a 2nd playthrough without dealing with my people and resources constantly being stolen

lol at teleporting raiden

would really prefer more... ummm... canon, I guess... SP content. i just mean actual story content for Diamond Dogs, as in missions or jobs they'd believably do.

the non-canon goofy stuff like raiden is cool too (loving my Boss sneaking suit) but it feels like that's really been their focus so far. i rather have new sort of story (or at least canon) SIDE OPs or something rather than just only wacky stuff like teleporting raidens.

poodpick

Pretty sure I remember reports that yes it can be invaded, and no you cannot retaliate.

wow.... Guess I'll do my 2nd playthrough on PC and sell my ps4 copy. So fucking annoying that you get punished for not playing. Every time I retaliate the owner joins and I get fucked because its a 4/4 maxed security FOB with snipers. Meanwhile they invade me multiple times while I'm offline.

FOB stuff is microtransactiony bullshit but I've been doing them for the staff and the bonus they had out.

I really wish they'd just allow us to buy resources with GMP. I finally successfully defended my FOB against another player and got over 8M for it thanks to the boost not long after I finally put some projects in to get away from the damn GMP cap and that put me right back over it. Not that GMP matters at this point for me but it's still kinda sorta annoying with how much ends up just going to waste.

bigb0ss

Banned
I got 100% in the main menu (all offline). Now to just go for the 3 online trophies...

I just got the FOB mission trophy which was quick, now I want to do the deterrence and disarmament trophies. I started developing the nuke and looks like it will take a while, do I need to be online the whole time for development to continue, or can I be offline and just chill in the chopper?

J.EM1

I got 100% in the main menu (all offline). Now to just go for the 3 online trophies...

I just got the FOB mission trophy which was quick, now I want to do the deterrence and disarmament trophies. I started developing the nuke and looks like it will take a while, do I need to be online the whole time for development to continue, or can I be offline and just chill in the chopper?
I believe if you're online you can just chill in the ACC and wait for it to develop in real time. I developed my nuke offline and it was 24 hours gameplay time.

Edit: Or not. lol Just read JayEH's post in the 'Community' thread. It's in-game time.

bigb0ss

Banned
I believe if you're online you can just chill in the ACC and wait for it to develop in real time. I developed my nuke offline and it was 24 hours gameplay time.

Edit: Or not. lol Just read JayEH's post in the 'Community' thread. It's in-game time.

Thanks brotha!

Top Bottom