• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

BigBoss

I hope my game didn't glitch. I could've sworn I heard the radio say to come back to base
for the Emmerich trial cutscene
but nothing happened when I actually went back there. Is it supposed to send you back automatically once it triggers? I'll do a few more side quests and hope.

Its automatic, you'll be forced back to mother base once its triggered.

Just completed Chapter 1. So am I to understand correctly that the story's loose threads get wrapped in Chapter 2, at least to some extent??? Dat chapter 2 teaser....

The gameplay has been sublime. I actually really loved the lore and story they have been building, but honestly hate that most characters are just mutes and the cinematics are short and often ambiguous. Do I really miss the lengthy cutscenes from MGS4?

Anyways, I may step away for a bit to divert attention to other games and come back to Chapter 2 later.

Just completed Chapter 1. So am I to understand correctly that the story's loose threads get wrapped in Chapter 2, at least to some extent??? Dat chapter 2 teaser....

The gameplay has been sublime. I actually really loved the lore and story they have been building, but honestly hate that most characters are just mutes and the cinematics are short and often ambiguous. Do I really miss the lengthy cutscenes from MGS4?

Anyways, I may step away for a bit to divert attention to other games and come back to Chapter 2 later.
Maybe.
Depends what camp you're in.
Yeah chapter 2 wraps it up.

Gui_PT

So I've seen some infiltrators with the Boss' outfit. Is that DLC or something you can only get as a female or something?

FOB is officially in my opinion the absolute worst implementation of multiplayer content ever. They seemingly require an investment of time that the average working adult does not have. So rather than allow us to divorce ourselves from the system they instead offer 'insurance' program to prevent negative impact from those who do have the time to learn it. It's actively making the game less fun purely by its existence. Why couldn't they have just sold hats or some BS like everyone else.

myco666

FOB is officially in my opinion the absolute worst implementation of multiplayer content ever. They seemingly require an investment of time that the average working adult does not have. So rather than allow us to divorce ourselves from the system they instead offer 'insurance' program to prevent negative impact from those who do have the time to learn it. It's actively making the game less fun purely by its existence. Why couldn't they have just sold hats or some BS like everyone else.

Well they sell those also in MGO. I am really on fence of buying new FOB after reading your recent posts as your frustration comes from having new 2nd FOB(?). To be honest I kinda got off the hook already since I have everything developed aside from the newest stuff so I don't really have anything to do aside from stealing nukes.

Well they sell those also in MGO. I am really on fence of buying new FOB after reading your recent posts as your frustration comes from having new 2nd FOB(?). To be honest I kinda got off the hook already since I have everything developed aside from the newest stuff so I don't really have anything to do aside from stealing nukes.

Yeah, and I'm perfectly okay with silly MGO hats. Unfortunately MGO has its own set of issues to work out before I think enough players will get into it to want to buy stuff. And Konami hasn't really shown any commitment that it's here to stay.

As for MGSV, up until this month's update it was probably my game of the year. But now that it's required to have a 2nd FOB in order to unlock everything the game isn't even on my radar as a contender. I feel sorry for anyone who began the game after November 10th. They are getting a poorer experience. Up until that day I had never been invaded or needed to generate these absurd amounts of resources. Just everything about it is so scummy. I almost wish the game sucked from the start, because the whole reason I even subjected myself to this was because of how great it was and I wanted to continue to mess around with the new weapon and gear.

I've never felt I was nearing a complete 180 from loving to hating a game before.

Edit: Also to answer my own question from earlier, it doesn't seem FOB generate resources while I'm offline. Thanks Konami, for letting people steal my resources when I'm at work/sleeping/obliging other adult responsibilities, but not letting my online base generate while I'm not playing.

Edit2: Most of my frustration right now is coming from trying to retaliate to get my stolen resources back. Resources are all I care about. I don't care about my stolen staff, I don't care about taking nukes, I don't care about 'winning' the infiltration. I just want the resources so I can continue upgrades. But the people stealing my stuff have fully upgraded 2nd FOBs. The only previous FOB experience I have is grinding 2/4 Mosquito struts, which doesn't prepare me at all for the 4/4 level 48 player FOBs. Every time I retaliate I am completely destroyed within steps. And I can only manage 2 hours a day average to play, which I'd rather spend doing things I enjoy than learning the nuances of FOB invading which I do not enjoy.

myco666

Yeah, and I'm perfectly okay with silly MGO hats. Unfortunately MGO has its own set of issues to work out before I think enough players will get into it to want to buy stuff. And Konami hasn't really shown any commitment that it's here to stay.

As for MGSV, up until this month's update it was probably my game of the year. But now that it's required to have a 2nd FOB in order to unlock everything the game isn't even on my radar as a contender. I feel sorry for anyone who began the game after November 10th. They are getting a poorer experience. Up until that day I had never been invaded or needed to generate these absurd amounts of resources. Just everything about it is so scummy. I almost wish the game sucked from the start, because the whole reason I even subjected myself to this was because of how great it was and I wanted to continue to mess around with the new weapon and gear.

I've never felt I was nearing a complete 180 from loving to hating a game before.

Edit: Also to answer my own question from earlier, it doesn't seem FOB generate resources while I'm offline. Thanks Konami, for letting people steal my resources when I'm at work/sleeping/obliging other adult responsibilities, but not letting my online base generate while I'm not playing.

Edit2: Most of my frustration right now is coming from trying to retaliate to get my stolen resources back. Resources are all I care about. I don't care about my stolen staff, I don't care about taking nukes, I don't care about 'winning' the infiltration. I just want the resources so I can continue upgrades. But the people stealing my stuff have fully upgraded 2nd FOBs. The only previous FOB experience I have is grinding 2/4 Mosquito struts, which doesn't prepare me at all for the 4/4 level 48 player FOBs. Every time I retaliate I am completely destroyed within steps. And I can only manage 2 hours a day average to play, which I'd rather spend doing things I enjoy than learning the nuances of FOB invading which I do not enjoy.

Yeah I also think FOB system sucks as it is now. It is a neat idea that could be really fun but so many aspects of it are just scummy and just trying to get you spend more money. If you could only get invaded if you are online would make lot better system immediately. Shame that it has soured you so much on the game though as I think it otherwise is really good even now.

I guess I will see what I will do with my 1000+ MB coins once I hit that number.

I think I'm just going to suspend playing it for now and hope maybe Konami get's their act together (doubtful) next month and introduces some sort of option for people who don't want to participate in PVP invasions. It's just literally impossible for me right now to develop any further due to invading and limited time to recuperate my losses.

Just some easy ways they can fix it for me are:

1. Not allow resources below a certain threshold to be stolen. I believe somewhere in the 100-200k range should be okay. That way you can grind to the requirements to upgrade a strut without fear of a portion of it being stolen before you meet the goal.

2. Add higher reward PVE challenges/events. If I could infiltrate a 4/4 mosquito base for just 10k of a resource then I would be okay with grinding it as there's no fear of retaliation. This is my most likely hope in the upcoming update. (Can't believe I'm actually referencing MMO concepts like PVE and PVP in a MGS game... wha- happen?.)

3. Create a pure retaliation option that is purely about getting your stolen stuff back, nothing beyond that. As of now a 'retaliation' is simply a counter-invasion in that if I retaliate, then I'm risking my base by opening it back up for a counter-counter. So for someone like me there's just no reason to ever retaliate. I'm just not able to compete and get my stuff back, and even attempting it right now just risks me losing more.

4. Make FOB resource automatic mining and resource processing more significant, AND make it work offline. That 30k fuel I lost last night from an invader wouldn't be such a huge bummer if I knew I made 25k fuel from my FOBs. I have no problem with needing to farm that little bit of lost fuel a day.

5. Make a completely opt-out option for FOB. This isn't going to happen though as Konami designed it purely to exploit the players for more money.

If nothing changes then I see my only option being to find a way to decrease my online ranking so that I drop into garbage league with the people who probably aren't even playing anymore (this preventing invasions). Then I'll just log in to get the daily then AFK in the back of a truck to make use of the pathetic auto-mining while I play something else on PC. So then in a month maybe I can go back to MGSV to dick around with weapons they added 2 months prior.

I like how I'm recovering and processing A LOT less materials now with a second FOB than I did back when I just had the one and before the patch that added the third one.

I'm also basically stuck at the GMP cap again since I don't have enough resources start development on things without wiping out what materials I have since I need to save up again for the last two platforms left on my second FOB. I also don't like how when the platform is finished it has zero defenses until you come back to the game and implement them.

But yeah, the FOB stuff, the inflated costs of things, the ridiculous amount of time for development just to try and sell the micro-transactions, the inflated and the truncated story aren't going to stop it from getting GOTY awards despite all the bullshit that should dock points from it. I hate feeling pressured to HAVE to play a game and I'm not going to give Konami the satisfaction of getting a single cent from it.

Kindekuma

Banned
I've been working on the dreaded animal collection aspect.

So far I've collected all the Super Rare animals on my first try. Got x1 honey badger but more than 3 and up to all 8 being the same rare animal.

LOL

myco666

I think I'm just going to suspend playing it for now and hope maybe Konami get's their act together (doubtful) next month and introduces some sort of option for people who don't want to participate in PVP invasions. It's just literally impossible for me right now to develop any further due to invading and limited time to recuperate my losses.

Just some easy ways they can fix it for me are:

1. Not allow resources below a certain threshold to be stolen. I believe somewhere in the 100-200k range should be okay. That way you can grind to the requirements to upgrade a strut without fear of a portion of it being stolen before you meet the goal.

2. Add higher reward PVE challenges/events. If I could infiltrate a 4/4 mosquito base for just 10k of a resource then I would be okay with grinding it as there's no fear of retaliation. This is my most likely hope in the upcoming update. (Can't believe I'm actually referencing MMO concepts like PVE and PVP in a MGS game... wha- happen?.)

3. Create a pure retaliation option that is purely about getting your stolen stuff back, nothing beyond that. As of now a 'retaliation' is simply a counter-invasion in that if I retaliate, then I'm risking my base by opening it back up for a counter-counter. So for someone like me there's just no reason to ever retaliate. I'm just not able to compete and get my stuff back, and even attempting it right now just risks me losing more.

4. Make FOB resource automatic mining and resource processing more significant, AND make it work offline. That 30k fuel I lost last night from an invader wouldn't be such a huge bummer if I knew I made 25k fuel from my FOBs. I have no problem with needing to farm that little bit of lost fuel a day.

5. Make a completely opt-out option for FOB. This isn't going to happen though as Konami designed it purely to exploit the players for more money.

If nothing changes then I see my only option being to find a way to decrease my online ranking so that I drop into garbage league with the people who probably aren't even playing anymore (this preventing invasions). Then I'll just log in to get the daily then AFK in the back of a truck to make use of the pathetic auto-mining while I play something else on PC. So then in a month maybe I can go back to MGSV to dick around with weapons they added 2 months prior.

These fixes sound really good. 5th wont happen though as you mentioned. It is really shame how FOB turned out even if I wasn't really that hyped about it to begin with. Hell it could be even only about stealing nukes or something like that. There are so many things they could have done with it but no. Lets design it so that people don't want to even play the game.

So far I've collected all the Super Rare animals on my first try. Got x1 honey badger but more than 3 and up to all 8 being the same rare animal.

LOL

Haha. I remember doing that and I got all the rarest ranking animals on first try but some uncommon ones needed few tries. It is really weird how it works. Also does the amount of GMP you gain from animal rescuing drop after the first time you get that certain animal? Not that I need GMP but interested about it if it would be wise to use capture cages everytime you go do a mission.

I made the mistake of building a second FOB right after I stole a nuke. Got my 1/4 command platform and was immediately invaded.
Took care of the invader and disarmed the nuke as soon as i finished.
Now I just have to wait 3 days to have a 2/4. LOL
I enjoy FOBs but these new online development times are ridiculous. wtf

myco666

I made the mistake of building a second FOB right after I stole a nuke. Got my 1/4 command platform and was immediately invaded.
Took care of the invader and disarmed the nuke as soon as i finished.
Now I just have to wait 3 days to have a 2/4. LOL
I enjoy FOBs but these new online development times are ridiculous. wtf

WHAT?! 2nd FOB platform times are up to 3 days? I am really starting to think I shouldn't bother with buying second FOB.

LOL

I remember I got all of them on my first try except for the very last Super Rare which took me about an hour of flying in, laying traps, and flying out. Honestly the animal part of platinuming didn't bother me too much though.

WHAT?! 2nd FOB platform times are up to 3 days? I am really starting to think I shouldn't bother with buying second FOB.

The 4/4 platforms I'm trying to save up for take 4 days to build, and cost 108k of 2 resource types.

Edit: I think the command platform takes +1 day compared to the other parts. So 4/4 command would be 5 days. I can't confirm right now though because I'm in the middle of upgrading it to 3/4 and I don't recall when I started.

I just finished episode 6. If I just decide to go offline, what kind of experience am I looking at? The FOB stuff sounds like a complete pain in the ass from what I'm reading. I really like the gameplay up to this point and I'm alright with the light story elements. Does anybody here enjoy the FOB aspects of the game? Should I just continue online and just give it a try?

I just finished episode 6. If I just decide to go offline, what kind of experience am I looking at? The FOB stuff sounds like a complete pain in the ass from what I'm reading. I really like the gameplay up to this point and I'm alright with the light story elements. Does anybody here enjoy the FOB aspects of the game? Should I just continue online and just give it a try?

FOB stuff didn't begin to frustrate me until this month's update which added new gear that requires you to expand into a 2nd base. Before that I was perfectly fine with the game and didn't feel like the FOB interfered with anything. That said, you're at a point in the game I was a long time ago before these recent changes. So I'm not sure how the early game changed. I think you should still be able to complete the game fine, but if you're like me and want to have everything unlocked then it's an absolute nightmare. Especially for relatively newer players like yourself who didn't get to take advantage of some resource farming exploits. I WOULD like FOB if it wasn't so intertwined with development/building so that it bogs down wait timers and resource costs.

FOB stuff didn't begin to frustrate me until this month's update which added new gear that requires you to expand into a 2nd base. Before that I was perfectly fine with the game and didn't feel like the FOB interfered with anything. That said, you're at a point in the game I was a long time ago before these recent changes. So I'm not sure how the early game changed. I think you should still be able to complete the game fine, but if you're like me and want to have everything unlocked then it's an absolute nightmare. Especially for relatively newer players like yourself who didn't get to take advantage of some resource farming exploits. I WOULD like FOB if it wasn't so intertwined with development/building so that it bogs down wait timers and resource costs.

Thanks for the response. I'm not really a completist. I don't really need to unlock everything. I'm more of the type of player that sticks to the main missions and does some side content as I go. That being said, I have done every available side op in this game because I love the gameplay so much.

Thanks for the response. I'm not really a completist. I don't really need to unlock everything. I'm more of the type of player that sticks to the main missions and does some side content as I go. That being said, I have done every available side op in this game because I love the gameplay so much.

I think you should be okay then. The side-ops should be able to keep you well funded so that you can continue with the main missions. And my love for the gameplay is the only reason I'm putting up with this FOB nonsense. I took a break from grinding for resources tonight to just putz around in free roam farming higher rank guards and doing random side-ops. It's still as enjoyable as ever for me. It's actually why I want the new weapons, just to screw around with them from time to time.

You're fine. The new update only adds new gear that's hard as shit to get. Everything else is the same.
Besides FOBs are really fun. I've been playing it more than MGO these days
Yeah I'm building a 2/4 and it takes 3 days. Hahahahaha what a joke

Kindekuma

Banned
Are you fucking kidding me right now?

Can't get a damn Deathstalker scorpion at all. Spending so much time flying in and out.

Sure I can nab 2 Tsuchinokos which are Ultra Rare, but not a damn scorpion with Common RNG drops?

Edit: Literally the next attempt after I posted this, I'm finally given 3 Red Foxes and my single Deathstalker. 100%'d all the animals in a day!

J.EM1

Oh so close! Sitting at 99% game completion. Just need to extract all those armor/tanks on mission 45 and complete the R&D target practice.

I finally did mission 45, what a load of shit that was.
I've fallen back in love with DD due to finding that his Fulton ability isn't the shit I first thought it was so I don't know if I want to bother with Quiet anymore.

PBalfredo

Generally, what resources should I be selling for GMP? Does keeping equipment help my base defense? Should I be selling the Walker Gears I fulton after I have D-Walker?

Kindekuma

Banned
Oh so close! Sitting at 99% game completion. Just need to extract all those armor/tanks on mission 45 and complete the R&D target practice.

Sitting at 92% completed as of now.

7 missions left to S Rank
Dozens of side objectives to complete.
20+ Side Ops left.

But as of tonight I managed to capture all animals, finish all Combat Deployment Ops, and develop over 300 weapons.

SlickVic

Its automatic, you'll be forced back to mother base once its triggered.

Thanks, yeah, just had to do one more side op, got the cutscene and Side Ops 150 and Mission 46 unlocked.

TPP has played so well for me, but good lord was Mission 45 awful.
Rather lazy design when the idea of making a "tough mission" is to throw a crapload of tanks at you. The fifth of sixth time one of them one hit killed me because I wound up in the wrong place at the wrong time (and the checkpoints really aren't very forthcoming in this mission), I just said screw it, hid behind the big building, and called bombardments (because I really don't need to save up GMP anymore at this point of the game) until it finally ended. Cutscenes afterwards were nice, but man that was a terrible mission.

MGS3 Camouflage SUPERPACK mod

Hornet Stripe
180-10-1447936257.jpg

Squares
180-9-1447936257.jpg

Santa
180-8-1447936257.jpg

Tree Bark
180-7-1447936258.jpg

GA-KO
180-6-1447936258.jpg

Cold War (back)
180-5-1447936258.jpg

Cold War (front)
180-4-1447936259.jpg

Coreda

Who finds it more useful to deploy Quiet over D-Dog for stealth runs? Many consider her the best buddy but is she really?

The temperamental micromanagement, aw-snap-there-goes-my-stealth-plan large scale combat trigger alerts, fulton extraction as she can't handle the heat
heyo
(mission #28), or the totally Zen but completely not appropriate times she fails to respond at all.

Let's look at her assets.

Pros

• Another person to chill with on the mission, albeit on the other side of a mountain and staying as far away as possible; gives the mild impression someone has your back.
  • Can scout ahead if it's a named outpost or base. Bonus points for retrieving the ammo.
  • Provides another usable primary weapon on missions (eg: she brings the sensible rifle while you take the I'm-playing-a-Metal-Gear-Solid-game-thank-you-very-much tranq, or vice versa).
  • Can order fire at targets from the analyzer scope.
  • Other commands include cover fire, fire at will, and the I Could Totally Do That mid air grenade ricochet trick shot because she's a show off.
  • Avoids fire by hightailing it at sanic speed.
  • Makes mission 18 bearable.
  • Stylish exits from chopper game is on point.
  • Also invisibility.

invisiblejurzr.jpg

She may or may not be in this picture.

?

• Her tranq rifles knock enemy helmets clean off before taking the second shot. Giving enemies just enough time to consider the first interesting thing to have happened to them all day before taking a ZZZ, and possibly alerting other guards.
  • Those on the mingy spectrum mightn't appreciate the true bargain of 5300 GMP for a non-lethal rifle with suppressor.
  • Will automatically fire at enemies if reflex mode is triggered and your goddamn slow as Eeyore weapon doesn't reload fast enough for that headshot you just missed before a chill runs through your body as you suddenly see their head explode and realize you equipped her lethal unsilenced rifle because you needed the extra umph for that chopper later on and MOTHER OF GOD it was that S+ ranked dude you scoped earlier and no-NOT HIS FRIEND TOO—QUIET NO! *Sigh* Popcorn.gif
  • Mmmmm, mmmm-mmmhmmmmm..... Mmmmm-mmmm, mmmm-mmmhmmmm....

Cons

• Requires constant management when not in let-me-chill-behind-this-cover-while-you-pop-them-suckers-oh-shit-no-you-didn't-get-#rekt-son mode.
  • Can't scout anywhere outside of named guard posts and bases—some tantalizingly close—and yet sniper positions are located seemingly every few yards.
  • Takes her sweet time to actually shoot, if that option isn't greyed while staring at the buddy command screen waiting for the 'Fire' command to appear after moving her for the third time.
  • Always fires at heads, never bodies, for maximum helmeted ding feedback.
  • During cover fire mode enemies aren't marked, unlike the player's own aim scoping.
  • Enemies inside buildings aren't marked because she's not a dog.
  • Requires a minimum 3900 GMP just to put on some clothes.
  • And lastly, would very much prefer you decorate every single uniform and piece of Motherbase signage with butterflies. Or else.

Compare and contrast to D-Dog:

Pros

• Marks all enemies from a distance of roughly 100m, both inside and out of buildings and including special targets such as prisoners.
  • Avoids enemy engagement alerts entirely in regular follow mode. If spotted an enemy assumes it's a wild dog and will shoo him away, wind the truck window down and bang on the door annoyingly, honk the horn, tell him to get lost, or all of the above.
  • Can reduce an existing presence alert if the enemy thinks a noise (or brief glimpse) they've come to check is only the dog. Yes, that's it, only the dog is here.
  • Costs nothing to deploy using the Naked variant.
  • Management free.
  • Is a wolf dog.
  • Can be petted.

Cons

• Unlike his every other perfect canine qualities he will completely ignore the Wait command and follow you after walking more than ~5m away, making the command literally useless.
  • Is capable of being blown up when detonating mines that you absolutely didn't accidentally trip.
  • Occasionally (frankly almost so few times as to even be mentioned) will get in the way of aim when prone but he's a panting legend of furry wolf so it's forgivable.

Verdict: D-Dog is the best stealth companion.

Generally, what resources should I be selling for GMP? Does keeping equipment help my base defense? Should I be selling the Walker Gears I fulton after I have D-Walker?

Bio and Precious metals are the only two I currently have excess of. Fuel and Common Metals I never have enough of. Minor metals I have a lot of but will eventually need them for upgrading weapons when I finish with my 2nd FOB. I don't know if equipment affects base defense, and I never sell any walker gears.

Gui_PT

I was only able to buy a S+ combat unit when some died from a combat deployment. I too tried dismissing one before and it failed. Weird thing is I never found out who the new soldier was. I sorted all my soldiers by newest recruits and didn't see a S+ combat unit anywhere near the newest.

Btw you have to DISMISS someone in the unit of the S+ you want in exchange for the points

J.EM1

Sitting at 92% completed as of now.

7 missions left to S Rank
Dozens of side objectives to complete.
20+ Side Ops left.

But as of tonight I managed to capture all animals, finish all Combat Deployment Ops, and develop over 300 weapons.
Home stretch! I've actually been having a lot of fun on this road to 100%. Sure some of it was hit or miss and grindy, but I enjoyed it.

DOWN

Banned
What's the fastest way to get through Chapter 2? I just want yellow missions to show up and to get me to the ending fast

myco666

What's the fastest way to get through Chapter 2? I just want yellow missions to show up and to get me to the ending fast

Listen to all yellow tapes, do all yellow side-ops and all yellow missions. If you don't get new yellow stuff do couple of sideops and you should unlock new story stuff.

Who finds it more useful to deploy Quiet over D-Dog for stealth runs? Many consider her the best buddy but is she really?
Meh on stealth, I've only just come around on how awesome DD's fulton ability is. When I'm either not doing a mission or don't care about rank it's even better. Being able to see where everyone is before they can see me is nice too.

Is there a way to inverse the controls of Rocket Punch, and only Rocket Punch?

You would think so but nope... I can't fly the stupid thing around very well without it either so I never use it.

Kindekuma

Banned
96% Completion
Just finished all the Side Ops as of like 3 minutes ago.

All that's left are the S Ranks and Side Objectives.
I'm so close, SO close.

Assuming my soldiers don't fail their online dispatch (and my FOB doesn't get invaded) I should have enough resources after work to begin my last upgrade on my 2nd FOB. Then begins the joy of several hours of farming for S and higher troops to see if I can even get my divisions up to all the gear development requirements.

Top Bottom