• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

J.EM1

Done! 283 hours and some change. Now I can take a break. lol

MGSV02_zpsmjpn9526.jpg

kingslunk

Question: If Eli has the third English vial than why is it written off as if it was used on quiet? Is this just a plot hole?

kabel

So I want to buy this game and just play the singleplayer mode.

I've heard that other players can invade your base......even when you're offline???
I just want to play the damn game for myself, no online modes. I wouldn't even care if someone invades my base as long as it's not harming my singleplayer experience.

So what is this "base"? Is that from the multiplayer mode? Or can other players really fuck up my singleplayer experience(my safegame?) while I'm asleep?

I'm on PC.

I've heard that other players can invade your base......even when you're offline???
I just want to play the damn game for myself, no online modes. I wouldn't even care if someone invades my base as long as it's not harming my singleplayer experience.

So what is this "base"? Is that from the multiplayer mode? Or can other players really fuck up my singleplayer experience(my safegame?) while I'm asleep?

I'm on PC.

Eventually the game forces you to create a 'Forward Operating Base' which is like an Online version of Mother Base used for competitive purposes. You don't have to do anything with it after the initial creation (unless I'm remembering wrongly), but as long as you have the base out in cyberspace it can be invaded by other players. During an invasion they can steal the resources and troops stationed on the base. However, if you never log in online after building it I don't believe you'll ever actually lose anything (since you're not contacting the server for an update). But I don't know the steps in avoiding that for PC. On PS4 I just stayed offline until I had completed Mother Base expansions and maxed out my staff. I think it was at the end of chapter 1 that I did that. By the end of Chapter 2 I had a maxed FOB and never got invaded. It wasn't until starting my 2nd FOB that everything went to crap fast.

Dez

I'm on PC.

You can stay offline the entire game and never create a FOB and as such you'll never get invaded (except once by an AI for story purposes). The only issue is that without a fob it's harder to develop higher level items that make the game easier, but it's certainly doable. I didn't create a fob until well into chapter 2, and I still haven't go invaded a single time (on PC)

Coreda

You can stay offline the entire game and never create a FOB and as such you'll never get invaded (except once by an AI for story purposes). The only issue is that without a fob it's harder to develop higher level items that make the game easier, but it's certainly doable. I didn't create a fob until well into chapter 2, and I still haven't go invaded a single time (on PC)

Mmm, I've been in offline mode the entire time and haven't needed to create an FOB.

Higher level weapon/item development did become a right grindy drag in my playthrough that tainted the overall experience, as staff and base platform leveling is stymied by the lack of additional room provided by an FOB, increasing the effort it takes to develop. Of course it's all optional but the upgrades are so useful, especially with the customization perk.

If the game used non-game time for development this wouldn't be as much of an issue but it requires real-time, in-game counters, and there were many times I'd stop missions entirely for periods to head-hunt higher ranked staff just to leave the game running over night to develop something due to the wait (borderless windowed mode helps).

However on the field enemy stat rankings are linked to how much heroism you have, which requires more things to do to raise, so it ultimately becomes padding between the more fun aspects of the gameplay imo. YMMV. For the first 1/3 the game flies by though, and the gameplay is superb.

Kindekuma

Banned
I finally got 100%! This weekend I played MGSV nonstop, and finally all that work pays off. Took 156 hours to complete. Lets see, I put in a total of 85 hours into GZ (100% twice on PS3 and PC), so in all I've spent 241 hours to 100% the entirety of MGSV.

Also got a RT from Kojima and Robin Atkin Downes so that's cool!

Gui_PT

Something weird is happening

I keep losing soldiers even though no one has infiltrated my base. No one in sickbay or brig

And when I infiltrate someone, the volunteers don't show up in my units

Is this happening to anyone else?

E: I just checked again. My volunteers aren't anywhere. My waiting room is empty even though I get 20+ volunteers every infiltration. Sickbay is empty. Number of soldiers in Offline and Online brig don't get any higher.

This can't just be me. Maybe something to do with the latest maintenance?

E2: You can now upgrade SLEEP GRENADES which were already OP and your nocto (portable ammo+2)

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Can I finish the game without managing the mother base?
I don't know what to do with all those recruits lol
I just wanna grab resources and unlock weapons and gagdets.

myco666

Can I finish the game without managing the mother base?
I don't know what to do with all those recruits lol
I just wanna grab resources and unlock weapons and gagdets.

The game does staff management for you. Though I would recommend sometimes go to the staff management menu and auto sort as there might be some dumb things the game decided to do.

I guess they added new gear today, and an event. This time there's a few more containers to fulton so a bit more to farm without fear of retaliation. Still not enough in my opinion. Also it's now non-lethal but still 2/4 struts. Wish they'd make it 3/4 or 4/4. Like before you get S+ soldiers of the first and last strut you invade at the end of the event.

Edit: Also I've began production on my last strut of my 2nd FOB. Even with a fully decked out FOB unless you have tons of S+ and S++ it seems like you're going to be around level 90 average for each category. Which freaking sucks. The whole reason I was doing it was to try and meet those level 95 requirements. So once again, the newer gear is basically locked behind multiplayer. Either by requiring you to farm S+(+) soldiers which only are reliable from player FOB invasions, or by buying MB so you can get a 3rd FOB and then torture yourself farming resources from other players so you can upgrade it.

Kindekuma

Banned
What does it take to get S++ soldiers?
I've gone through the whole game with getting just S ranks. Anyone S+ basically was a boaster, and with 500K heroism, something has to give.

J.EM1

What does it take to get S++ soldiers?
I've gone through the whole game with getting just S ranks. Anyone S+ basically was a boaster, and with 500K heroism, something has to give.
I think it has something to do with FOBs. If you infiltrate or participate in the FOB events, you get S+ ranked soldiers as reward.

I played the entire game w/o doing FOBs and have only gotten S ranked soldiers.

DryvBy

I must have missed some thing. I have 3 missions (48-50) but I've finished the story and
mission 46
. I wanted to read about all the characters to fill in pieces I missed during the story and ran into this:

After a massive battle with Diamond Dogs, Eli and Mantis were defeated. Ocelot then informed Venom Snake that the entire island was contaminated; meaning they had no other option but to sterilize the area with napalm rounds. Venom Snake then pointed his gun at Eli before deciding against it. He then left him to his fate, with Eli pointing the gun to his own head, implying he was intending to commit suicide, but Mantis stopped him, and instead extracted the parasite from him and convinced Eli to leave with him.

When did this happen? I watched every cinematic and don't remember any of this. The last thing I remember with Eli is
him capturing the Metal Gear and leaving Outer Heaven

myco666

I must have missed some thing. I have 3 missions (48-50) but I've finished the story and
mission 46
. I wanted to read about all the characters to fill in pieces I missed during the story and ran into this:

After a massive battle with Diamond Dogs, Eli and Mantis were defeated. Ocelot then informed Venom Snake that the entire island was contaminated; meaning they had no other option but to sterilize the area with napalm rounds. Venom Snake then pointed his gun at Eli before deciding against it. He then left him to his fate, with Eli pointing the gun to his own head, implying he was intending to commit suicide, but Mantis stopped him, and instead extracted the parasite from him and convinced Eli to leave with him.

When did this happen? I watched every cinematic and don't remember any of this. The last thing I remember with Eli is
him capturing the Metal Gear and leaving Outer Heaven

It is cut content that is considered canon. Search for mission 51 on YT to see it.

BadWolf

As myco666 pointed out, it's cut content. It was included on the blu-ray from the collector edition. Well, what had been done on it was included anyway. It didn't seem completed so it may not be 'cut' as much as it wasn't finished in time for release.

What was mentioned in the novel writer's (?) interview I think makes sense, that they probably planned to finish it after the game launched and release it as DLC, but that plan was no longer an option after what happened between Konami and Kojima so KojiPro quickly put it together into a video so fans would know what happened in that part of the story.

DryvBy

As myco666 pointed out, it's cut content. It was included on the blu-ray from the collector edition. Well, what had been done on it was included anyway. It didn't seem completed so it may not be 'cut' as much as it wasn't finished in time for release.

Ok,I have that disc I just never watched it. Thanks to myco666 too.

Anyone on the PC side ever have an issue with selecting a support weapon or item only for it to instead pick the one above or below? I've made sure I wasn't accidentally highlighting/selecting the wrong one but I haven't when it happens.

Kindekuma

Banned
Anyone on the PC side ever have an issue with selecting a support weapon or item only for it to instead pick the one above or below? I've made sure I wasn't accidentally highlighting/selecting the wrong one but I haven't when it happens.

Not really, no. The only trouble I had with the game on PC was random crashes.

Not really, no. The only trouble I had with the game on PC was random crashes.

Curious, have they gotten worse as time goes on? I play on PS4, and with every update the game seems to get stuck on black screens more frequent. It went from an occurrence of 0 for the first month, to about once a week, to about once every few days. I've began backing up my save every so often because once it actually got stuck and I had to do a hard shutdown and it would never come back when I loaded my save. Luckily I had a save from the day before
(it was my pre-Quiet leaving save before the update that added her back)
so I didn't lose any progress.

Kazuhira

So,it seems reddit users found concept art of young snake.
This is my favourite.

kAXk7eS.jpg

He kinda looks like kojima in this one lol:

HJJCEYy.jpg

There's more here: link

Coreda

The Infinite Heaven mod looks incredible. Anyone here tried it?

Warp (noclip) ability, skip chopper intro animation, model swapping, Motherbase enemy minigames, and others. All controllable in-game.

myco666

Got a lend of this game from my brother, just wondering do I miss out on much from not having a Ground Zeroes save to import?

You miss on some good staff members, Solid Snake(PS1) costume and a Gold Arm for Snake. The arm has the same properties as normal arm. So you miss out on pretty much nothing.

Gui_PT

I'm started to get annoyed at this game

Yesterday my Support Unit glitched.. The last(lower rank) 20 soldiers were just 5 soldiers repeated 4 times each and no matter how many S ranks I got, those 20 wouldn't go away until I just dismissed them

Now it's my Intel Unit. It maxes out at 298/300 soldiers. There's that stupid Ziang Tang or whatever he's called who, for some reason, I can't dismiss. And none of the dozens of S ranks I've gotten today show up in the unit! I have like 15 A++ but the S rank volunteers I got won't replace them.

And sometimes I infiltrate someone, the game loses the connection even BEFORE I leave the chopper.. I lose hundreds of points and the other player gets to retaliate!

This is ridiculous.

E:
The stupid 10 day wait to develop an item is also annoying

Coreda

Completed mission #46 after reading all about it on the wiki. After being deeply irked at being spoiled half-way through the game the wiki actually tied it together nicely and since I'd had some time to process it the mission become more enjoyable and I'm more at peace with the concept.

Have to say though,
the idea of my black character having full-body plastic surgery is disturbing, but he rocks the Animal print Naked version like a boss. Now I prefer deploying with the Naked versions since everything looks better with him

Also noticed the fine print of the KojiPro poster, which is a little sad:

The Metal Gear Solid Team is hiring for various positions at the Los Angeles Studio as well as the Tokyo headquarters. Apply at the Gamasutra job board or in person at the GDC career pavilion at Booth CP2308.

Wonder when that asset was made, though I suppose technically there is still part of the team left providing updates and support. Edit: was 2013.

They're giving awag 70x2 MB coins at the weekend. FOB Get!

You'll never get rid of pc nukes faster than people can mod them back in.

I think it got down to 70 but I replayed the mission a few times before. But yeah, I did it a few days ago and it had to be done 11 times before it worked.

Thanks I'll try a few more then.

_Isaac

So I just finished episode 43
shining Lights Even in Death
and I have no idea what to do next.
I have done all of the yellow side ops already. The only available missions are the expert and stealth ones. I did a few of those but they're really difficult. Are there no more story missions after Shining Lights? I did a bunch of side ops hoping that Kaz will trigger some new story, but nothing is happening.

Kindekuma

Banned
So I just finished episode 43
shining Lights Even in Death
and I have no idea what to do next.
I have done all of the yellow side ops already. The only available missions are the expert and stealth ones. I did a few of those but they're really difficult. Are there no more story missions after Shining Lights? I did a bunch of side ops hoping that Kaz will trigger some new story, but nothing is happening.

There are more missions.

Finish a few side ops, that's how I unlocked the later portion of the game.

J.EM1

So I replayed mission 11
seven times and got Quiet back
. However,
the mission title never changed to [Reunion]. Weird. In the ACC/iDroid mission list, it still says [Replay]
. Or maybe I just missed it. Regardless, I'm glad to have
Quiet
back.

I'm confused as hell how people who have a lower defense/offense level, way less durability, way less soldiers, basically the stats except overall offense and defense ability where some are in the millions despite being so low everywhere else. I really need to learn how the hell that actually works.

Coreda

Replayable side ops are only completable twice? Did another run of Prisoner Extraction 02 and it's now greyed out.

Top Bottom