• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

danthefan

I can't seem to do much better than a C or the odd B in most story missions so I guess my question is.. Should I care very much? I'm assuming you get more money for better ranks but can I get by OK with these mission grades?

Haunted

I can't seem to do much better than a C or the odd B in most story missions so I guess my question is.. Should I care very much? I'm assuming you get more money for better ranks but can I get by OK with these mission grades?
Yeah they don't really matter, don't worry about it.

Setsuna

I wonder how hard it would be for them to take everything in metal gear solid 4 and rising(weapons and character models) and put it into metal gear solid 5

Socreges

Banned
So I've basically finished the game. Missions 45 and 46 complete. Just two side ops left, a few Extreme missions, and lots of objectives.

All game long I expected another area after Africa. Was pretty disappointed when it became apparent that there was nothing else. Still a massive game, of course, but I was hoping for something with more interiors. Did they ever explain why they only had the one mansion and little else indoors? I understand that the mechanics were largely designed for outdoors, but still...

Also, what is there to unlock? Where are the added difficulty levels? Unique costumes/characters? Is there much incentive to complete everything beyond getting Platinum?

Sorry if these are common questions...

cheez124

So I've basically finished the game. Missions 45 and 46 complete. Just two side ops left, a few Extreme missions, and lots of objectives.

All game long I expected another area after Africa. Was pretty disappointed when it became apparent that there was nothing else. Still a massive game, of course, but I was hoping for something with more interiors. Did they ever explain why they only had the one mansion and little else indoors? I understand that the mechanics were largely designed for outdoors, but still...

Also, what is there to unlock? Where are the added difficulty levels? Unique costumes/characters? Is there much incentive to complete everything beyond getting Platinum?

Sorry if these are common questions...
i was hoping for a snow level myself, but oh well. more indoor areas would've been nice too, but there's no real explanation as to why TPP is lacking them

there are no harder difficulty levels, aside from those repeat missions. you can get a
raiden
outfit by s ranking every main mission (you don't have to s rank the harder repeat missions to get it).

Socreges

Banned
i was hoping for a snow level myself, but oh well. more indoor areas would've been nice too, but there's no real explanation as to why TPP is lacking them

there are no harder difficulty levels, aside from those repeat missions. you can get a
raiden
outfit by s ranking every main mission (you don't have to s rank the harder repeat missions to get it).
Never been a Raiden fan anyhow!

Some day I'll start a new game (with a different account, I guess) and go through without Reflex or worrying about getting every resource/weapon/etc.

So, I hadn't played this game in a while after 100+ hours, even being very close to the end. I'm back in now, and I chose chapter 45. Does the game lock you into this chapter until you complete it? It won't allow me to quit the mission or order a helicopter pickup. It only allows me to quit to the title screen, or to restart the mission. I've been away, so I may be missing something, or is the game really locking me into completing this mission when I don't want to?

I should say that I'm not well equipped to do it, as I haven't developed any anti tank mines and want to do other things during the ridiculously long development periods.

Buntabox

So, I hadn't played this game in a while after 100+ hours, even being very close to the end. I'm back in now, and I chose chapter 45. Does the game lock you into this chapter until you complete it? It won't allow me to quit the mission or order a helicopter pickup. It only allows me to quit to the title screen, or to restart the mission. I've been away, so I may be missing something, or is the game really locking me into completing this mission when I don't want to?

I should say that I'm not well equipped to do it, as I haven't developed any anti tank mines and want to do other things during the ridiculously long development periods.

Yes, you have to complete the mission. I believe there is a warning prior to launching side op 150 :/

I used air strikes repeatedly to wipe them out. Supply drop a rocket for yourself as well.

BadWolf

There is a container in the area, you can hop onto it and extract yourself along with it to quit the mission iirc.

There is a container in the area, you can hop onto it and extract yourself along with it to quit the mission iirc.

Yes, you have to complete the mission. I believe there is a warning prior to launching side op 150 :/

I used air strikes repeatedly to wipe them out. Supply drop a rocket for yourself as well.

Thanks guys. I don't remember any warning, I must have missed it. As far as the air strike, I'm doing a no "cheat" run my first time through, but at this point I just want the game to end haha.

Thanks guys. I don't remember any warning, I must have missed it. As far as the air strike, I'm doing a no "cheat" run my first time through, but at this point I just want the game to end haha.

I feel ya. That mission was definitely my least favorite and the one I had the most trouble with since I had to tackle it in a way completely different to the way I played the rest of the game. I didn't even think to try and fulton the vehicles until way after I'd already competed it.

So I had someone run through my first FOB's Command platform and they knocked out everyone on the last platform at seemingly the same time 8 minutes and 28 seconds in. >_>

I should've used Snake and the stun arm when trying to get my staff back, I got stuck on their last platform with guards on a combat alert and the alert not going away when I had only like five minutes left because I got seen by a damn guard pretty much off the bat. >_<

Zel3

OMG I ran over puppy DD at mother base with the jeep. I don't see him anymore GAF please tell me he's not gone forever. I turned my PS4 off as soon as I realized what atrocity had just happened but I fear it was saved already.

Socreges

Banned
OMG I ran over puppy DD at mother base with the jeep. I don't see him anymore GAF please tell me he's not gone forever. I turned my PS4 off as soon as I realized what atrocity had just happened but I fear it was saved already.
You monster

Might be able to pick up another one in the missions he spawns in. Cannot confirm.

BadWolf

Exhibit A ladies and gentlemen, a demon.

Got my security team to level 99. Try and reach my cores now.

Just lie and tell the soldiers at mother base you found him that way.

Coreda

Discovered the secret to leveling MB sans FOB and without being too grindy: farming wandering puppet side ops.

For the longest time I didn't realize you could farm them but since I was curious looked up some videos and it's clearly the most efficient method. Takes a few minutes per round to extract 3-6 A++ to S+ staff while at 250k heroism.

Not sure if blood stains make a difference to the ranks of the puppets but I did notice a drop in overall rankings when I was heavily blood soaked and a return to higher stats after showering at MB.

Screenshots from a run:

6aZ4xUt.jpg
R8Hw6hJ.jpg
1PUjooH.jpg
ocZOZE3.jpg

Since the LZ is directly in front of the base in Wandering Puppets #07 it's the shortest of them all. Takes 5 minutes total once the chopper lands. Running to a checkpoint sees them added to MB where they are awarded, leveling up their existing ranks.

Gui_PT

I just learned you can mark soldiers through walls on FOBs

Why did it take me so long to learn this?! It's so useful!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just starting for the first time.

Avatar #3 looks like Asian Mark Wahlberg.

Hmmm, I like 5, 14, 20, and 23.

Erigu

Today, I'm finding the game to be practically unplayable online, on PlayStation 4.
I'm generally stuck at a frozen (and slightly zoomed out, for some reason) title screen, and even if I somehow get past that (by forcing the game to boot in offline mode and then getting online, for example), I'm getting crippling lag and error messages whenever the game checks the server.
Am I the only one?

Today, I'm finding the game to be practically unplayable online, on PlayStation 4.
I'm generally stuck at a frozen (and slightly zoomed out, for some reason) title screen, and even if I somehow get past that (by forcing the game to boot in offline mode and then getting online, for example), I'm getting crippling lag and error messages whenever the game checks the server.
Am I the only one?

You're not the only one. It was impossible for me to check online dispatches at all. And everything else that is woven into online garbage was slow as sin too. It's actually what prompt me to check the thread.

Edit: I too am on PS4.

J.EM1

^ Some players have also been reporting that the game freezes when viewing the rewards screen in online mode. Sounds like a server problem.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm playing on xbone and I have a couple questions:

-Did they add the subsurface scattering or whatever it was called with a patch? I remember early graphics comparisons saying it wasn't on xbone and it made the skin look "last gen" but it looks really nice and current to me. Maybe I'm too easily pleased.

-A couple times during my first time at mother base, the game had a bit of a hitch and the sound crackled. Is that known to happen or should I be concerned for my system? I've only known that kind of thing happening on PC when the CPU gets overheated.

That whole intro scene was fucking awesome and intense.

Am I the only one?
Yep. On ps4 and experiencing the exact same. Had the weird zoomed out title screen and had to close the application and restart the game.

Idroid has the worst lag I can remember.

Erigu

Pop a Nocto
Use your scope to aim at the guy you want to mark
Press the button to set a marker while aiming at him
He is now marked!
You can mark an entire platform with 1 Nocto pill. So so useful
Damn. Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Wait. "Press the button"? You're manually setting a marker? You can only mark up to five locations/elements simultaneously, right?

kingslunk

Going for the 100%. Currently sitting at 91%. Some of these mission tasks are just boring as shit. I hate following people around and listening to conversations.

Coreda

The AM MRS-73 NL doesn't seem to like gravity or Snake's back very much.

Along with the slowest recorded tranq delay of the NL sniper rifles tested (13.837s) you really have to weigh the benefits of the semi-auto fire and barrel moddability. If only it didn't test my suspension of disbelief every time I glance at it.

Discovered the secret to leveling MB sans FOB and without being too grindy: farming wandering puppet side ops.

Since the LZ is directly in front of the base in Wandering Puppets #07 it's the shortest of them all. Takes 5 minutes total once the chopper lands. Running to a checkpoint sees them added to MB where they are awarded, leveling up their existing ranks.

There's a few places good for this. The base in the south west you can use sleep grenades to put most of them to sleep before you touch down.

Kindekuma

Banned
Going for the 100%. Currently sitting at 91%. Some of these mission tasks are just boring as shit. I hate following people around and listening to conversations.

That was the biggest slog for me. Believe me, it made me want to stop playing MGSV and give up going for 100% at times. You can do it!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Finished up Witcher 3, picked up MGSV for $20 on Xbox One for price match. Trying to run through the game any helpful advice/tips to play the game?

I'm a huge MGS fan since the PS1 release, couldn't get to the game at launch but here I am, any tips would be appreciated.

3dmodeler

Finished up Witcher 3, picked up MGSV for $20 on Xbox One for price match. Trying to run through the game any helpful advice/tips to play the game?

I'm a huge MGS fan since the PS1 release, couldn't get to the game at launch but here I am, any tips would be appreciated.

I find that most missions are easier than you think and don't really require you grind out for tools and weapons. Some missions give you the impression that you need to deploy with heavy weaponry but you can totally procure every item you need on site.

Also when fultoning soldiers don't worry too much about their ranking because during late game highly skilled soldiers show up all over the place.

CeeSaw

-A couple times during my first time at mother base, the game had a bit of a hitch and the sound crackled. Is that known to happen or should I be concerned for my system? I've only known that kind of thing happening on PC when the CPU gets overheated.

That is a known issue with the X1 version. Happens every once in a while but did not get in the way of me completing the game. Been in the game since launch though I'm surprised (or not) that Konami hasn't fixed or even mentioned it.

For the longest time I didn't realize you could farm them but since I was curious looked up some videos and it's clearly the most efficient method. Takes a few minutes per round to extract 3-6 A++ to S+ staff while at 250k heroism.

Not sure if blood stains make a difference to the ranks of the puppets but I did notice a drop in overall rankings when I was heavily blood soaked and a return to higher stats after showering at MB.

Screenshots from a run:

How do you farm this Side-Op? It's unavailable to me.

Edit: Also it looks like PS4's online parts are slow as hell again today. Getting real sick of this. It shouldn't take upwards to a minute to check resources or weapon development progress.

Top Bottom