• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

PBalfredo

How do I unlock mission 43? Also, does anything come out of visiting
Paz? I've shown her a few photos, but now everytime I see her, she's just reading the same book that she drops everytime.

Menthuss

How do I unlock mission 43? Also, does anything come out of visiting
Paz? I've shown her a few photos, but now everytime I see her, she's just reading the same book that she drops everytime.

Keep giving the photo's you get by doing the wandering Motherbase soldiers sideops. There's 10 photo's in total IIRC.

The big barren maps between camps /villages and how long it took me to get to them.

Getting killed and having to do it all again.

There's not going to be much to alleviate that other than bring D-horse or making use of the waypoint system. Personally running between camps wasn't a bother to me. Dying and having to redo certain tasks is frustrating, especially on certain missions with sparser checkpoints. For some I had to run out of my way to intentionally trigger one so that I knew I wouldn't lose certain progress when dying. I'd probably give it another shot if you still own it.

Setsuna

The big barren maps between camps /villages and how long it took me to get to them.

Getting killed and having to do it all again.

You actually traveled between camps?

On another note the Equipment:stuff to do ratio in this game is horrible, and Deployments are still imbalanced (I just want to clear the world god dammit)

Socreges

Banned
Finally got to 1000 MB coins! Thank you, daily rewards.

So with my second FOB, should that be enough to (eventually) get my team rankings high enough for the new weapons?

Erigu

with my second FOB, should that be enough to (eventually) get my team rankings high enough for the new weapons?
With two FOBs and a good amount of effort / legendary recruits, I can get to level 92? 93? I imagine you'll want a third FOB, for the very last weapons...

Finally got to 1000 MB coins! Thank you, daily rewards.

So with my second FOB, should that be enough to (eventually) get my team rankings high enough for the new weapons?

For all of them? Unlikely unless you've managed to take every opportunity to get S+(+) rank soldier from event bonuses and other sources and put them on direct contract. The only other way seems to be stealing them from other player's FOBs. I only managed 91-92 after weeks of a maxed out 2nd FOB, and several pieces require 95.

KOMANI

KOMANI
For all of them? Unlikely unless you've managed to take every opportunity to get S+(+) rank soldier from event bonuses and other sources and put them on direct contract. The only other way seems to be stealing them from other player's FOBs. I only managed 91-92 after weeks of a maxed out 2nd FOB, and several pieces require 95.
Increasing staff morale and doing missions with other soldiers will eventually increase your MB staff morale

Socreges

Banned
With two FOBs and a good amount of effort / legendary recruits, I can get to level 92? 93? I imagine you'll want a third FOB, for the very last weapons...

So.... fuck those weapons then. Is there anything truly special anyhow?

Erigu

For all of them? Unlikely unless you've managed to take every opportunity to get S+(+) rank soldier from event bonuses and other sources and put them on direct contract.
In a few hours, I'll have more S+ / S++ soldiers than I can put under direct contract (so please stop attacking me and stealing my guys, people, thanks!), and as I said above, I feel like I'm hitting a wall at around level 92/93.
There's still some grinding room (medals, mostly) so, after dozens of hours, I could see myself getting to level 94, maybe 95... but yeah, I'm going to need that third FOB, for the last few pieces of equipment.

The deployment costs of those last weapons are so prohibitive I don't imagine they'll get much use. I want everything though, so I'll develop them anyway, god damn it.
On the other hand, there's some interesting stuff to improve security on your FOBs.

Also, it's not just about the weapons: high level units provide all kinds of advantages. Gotta aim for that level 99!

They're not essential for anything though a few help tremendously against high level FOB invasions/defenses. So, yeah, they're not super special. They tend to get stupid pricey also and some take 8/10/12 real life days to develop.

In a few hours, I'll have more S+ / S++ soldiers than I can put under direct contract (so please stop attacking me and stealing my guys, people, thanks!), and as I said above, I feel like I'm hitting a wall at around level 92/93.
There's still some grinding room (medals, mostly) so, after dozens of hours, I could see myself getting to level 94, maybe 95... but yeah, I'm going to need that third FOB, for the last few pieces of equipment.!

Oh right, I forgot about medals. And I set my FOB limit to A++ so people stop stealing my S++/S+/S rank units.

Erigu

I set my FOB limit to A++ so people stop stealing my S++/S+/S rank units.
I was wondering about that, actually... Is that entirely foolproof?
I mean, I figured that would limit the ranks of the soldiers patrolling the platforms, but what about those the invader gets as a reward for reaching the core? Or are those simply not from your pool of soldiers, maybe? Just newborn volunteers?
Also, if setting a lower FOB limit is enough to make sure your best soldiers don't get stolen, doesn't that mean there's actually no point in putting those under direct contract?

(I don't think I have enough sub-S soldiers left to guard my FOBs anyway... still, being able to keep my S+ and S++ guys out of harm's way would be great)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Is the only real point to lifting guns/vehicles to sell them if you don't plan on using them in the field?

I was wondering about that, actually... Is that entirely foolproof?
I mean, I figured that would limit the ranks of the soldiers patrolling the platforms, but what about those the invader gets as a reward for reaching the core? Or are those simply not from your pool of soldiers, maybe? Just newborn volunteers?
Also, if setting a lower FOB limit is enough to make sure your best soldiers don't get stolen, doesn't that mean there's actually no point in putting those under direct contract?

(I don't think I have enough sub-S soldiers left to guard my FOBs anyway... still, being able to keep my S+ and S++ guys out of harm's way would be great)

I don't actually know. I assume if you get to the point you stop having soldiers at or below the rank you limit it to then it'll either deploy higher rank soldiers, raise the limit itself, or less soldiers are active on FOB. I'm not very active in that component of the game, despise it mostly in fact. Only reason I level FOB is to develop the gear. I think direct contract also prevents them from being sent on dispatch missions as well.

Is the only real point to lifting guns/vehicles to sell them if you don't plan on using them in the field?

They raise your PF rank if you care about that, and you can sell them for more than the cost to steal them.

Coreda

The tanks and trucks are required for some of the combat deployment missions, and any jeeps picked up are placed around Motherbase to be driven between platforms. I believe the turrets can be used during FOB defense by the staff but since I haven't touched that side of the game someone else could confirm.

Socreges

Banned
There's still some grinding room (medals, mostly) so, after dozens of hours, I could see myself getting to level 94, maybe 95... but yeah, I'm going to need that third FOB, for the last few pieces of equipment.

The deployment costs of those last weapons are so prohibitive I don't imagine they'll get much use. I want everything though, so I'll develop them anyway, god damn it.
On the other hand, there's some interesting stuff to improve security on your FOBs.

Also, it's not just about the weapons: high level units provide all kinds of advantages. Gotta aim for that level 99!
Hmm. What kinds of advantages?

Erigu

Hmm. What kinds of advantages?
Better support, enemy detection, etc. Those functions are listed in the staff management section.

Although some explanations as to what each of them do exactly wouldn't hurt, sometimes...
... He said, just realizing he never bothered to simply look in the instructions manual, just in case. Shit, ever since those became digital, I never think of reading them...

EDIT: Nope, no dice. Hell, that manual is actually surprisingly short.

Dice

This shit just pissed me off so much I stopped playing.
NGBNQmT.jpg
You would think there is a way to get through, especially with a side op right over the whole middle of it, but NOOOOOOO. Instead, you have to run all the way around this.
Complete and total bullshit. I've had this experience in several games now. What would have been completely reasonable travel blocked and what looks like a passage on the map not being at all. It's like they are deliberately trying to make you waste 20 minutes running around looking for the way through. Dear game industry: RUNNING AROUND FOR NO GODDAMN REASON IN A WASTED EFFORT JUST TO FUCKING GET SOMEWHERE IS NOT FUN. STOP MAKING YOUR GAMES LIKE THIS.

This shit just pissed me off so much I stopped playing.

You would think there is a way to get through, especially with a side op right over the whole middle of it, but NOOOOOOO. Instead, you have to run all the way around this.

Complete and total bullshit. I've had this experience in several games now. What would have been completely reasonable travel blocked and what looks like a passage on the map not being at all. It's like they are deliberately trying to make you waste 20 minutes running around looking for the way through. Dear game industry: RUNNING AROUND FOR NO GODDAMN REASON IN A WASTED EFFORT JUST TO FUCKING GET SOMEWHERE IS NOT FUN. STOP MAKING YOUR GAMES LIKE THIS.

There are a couple other places in the game that look like paths but they end up funneling into a dead-end, sometimes blocked off by vines or something that looks like you should be able to blow it up.

seems like they put that there because it threw off the balance of a mission or something. odd that it wouldn't just be something temporary like the crashed helicopter that blocks a similar path in afghanistan

Erigu

You would think there is a way to get through, especially with a side op right over the whole middle of it, but NOOOOOOO.
I'm pretty sure there is, actually. If I remember well, there are cracks you can use to climb.

EDIT: Yep, just checked. Unless Kojima did something weird, like have that particular crack appear only once you've reached a certain point in the story, you should be able to get through.

Alright, I was really in love with this game through mission 20 or so... Right around this time is when everything with the updates and all the Kojima:/Konami bs started happening and it has really soured me on this whole game (Especially all the micro transactions and development time requirements) have really slowed and almost impeded my enjoyment.

I have made it to chapter 30 or 31, do I stick it out at this point, or are there any major plot or story portions worth playing towards still? No spoilers if so, just really debating is all.

BadWolf

I have made it to chapter 30 or 31, do I stick it out at this point, or are there any major plot or story portions worth playing towards still? No spoilers if so, just really debating is all.

You have quite a bit more of the story to see, most of it crucial to the overall plot and characters. Some of the best moments in the game, heck even the series as a whole, are in the later episodes.

Alright, I was really in love with this game through mission 20 or so... Right around this time is when everything with the updates and all the Kojima:/Konami bs started happening and it has really soured me on this whole game (Especially all the micro transactions and development time requirements) have really slowed and almost impeded my enjoyment.

If you're not enjoying it much, give up after chapter 1 which you should be right at.

If you're not enjoying it much, give up after chapter 1 which you should be right at.

So... You are suggesting that I do not tryagainlater...

Had to, and yes I am just starting chapter 2, I really want to try and finish it, but all I hear is the micro trans bull and that the story drops it once chapter 2 starts, is the story nonsense I have heard not true and still some good stuff in there? Or is it mostly filler until the end, I have done every side op until now.

So... You are suggesting that I do not tryagainlater...
giphy.gif

Had to, and yes I am just starting chapter 2, I really want to try and finish it, but all I hear is the micro trans bull and that the story drops it once chapter 2 starts, is the story nonsense I have heard not true and still some good stuff in there? Or is it mostly filler until the end, I have done every side op until now.
The story is fairly useless from this point on. Just a bunch of random crap thrown together without much connection and then it suddenly ends for no reason. There is a moment that a lot of people like that I didn't think was particularly great so your mileage may vary on that. I understand the desire to finish it just out of a sense of closure but there really is no closure.

giphy.gif

The story is fairly useless from this point on. Just a bunch of random crap thrown together without much connection and then it suddenly ends for no reason. There is a moment that a lot of people like that I didn't think was particularly great so your mileage may vary on that. I understand the desire to finish it just out of a sense of closure but there really is no closure.

Holy shit we may be the same person humor wise with a gif of Bruce himself haha, but yeah that is what has me bummed about the next section. I guess I will trudge through to the end for finishing the saga. The no closure aspect sorta, scratch the sorta, has me very apprehensive about dedicating the time.

BadWolf

The no closure aspect sorta, scratch the sorta, has me very apprehensive about dedicating the time.

MGSV closes the loop on the MGS series extremely well.

If you want closure and an overall ending to the series then look to MGS4, that is the final entry of the story. This is not what MGSV is about.

Dice

Well I've gotta hand it to this game, I never fires a missile at a tank from horseback in any other game, nor have I ever before this decked a goat to send it off on a balloon. However, it seems to be increasingly less stealthy. I mean, you can still do stealth if you want to do a lot of running around surveying and picking the right entrance and crawling on your belly and slowly taking out the few guys you need to take care of to clear the way, but it's really super slow since it's so easy to get caught just once and then everybody is tipped off. Plus if you die then you wasted like 40 minutes with that slow process compared to like 5-10 if you fuck up an action style handling. That and the fact you get to develop like 500 weapons, many without suppressors (tho I did just get modding ability), as well as an attack helicopter, and it just doesn't seem like stealth is what it wants.

As for that action, it's pretty good. I've had a lot of fun playing around with different approaches and mix of weapons. I'd say its close-to-mid range fighting isn't as good as RE6, but still pretty good. It has nice diverse loadout options to make up for some lack of flow. The only weird thing is how good guys are at shooting at long range. One time I was peeking over a rock with a sniper rifle to hit guys waaaay far away. With my 4X scope on the sniper rifle they were pretty small and it was hard to get it to line up with their head or know when it did. As I'm doing this, one guy is shooting at me with his basic ass soviet rifle with no scope at all and pretty much tags me once every 3-round burst, disrupting my aiming process. I mean, I get they can't just miss you all the time for it to be challenging at all, but that kind of accuracy at such a distance with a shit gun was just ridiculous. Reminded me of the old Goldeneye and Medal of Honor Frontline days.

So yeah, this is turning out kind of weird. The whole build an army thing results in a lot of spam missions and it just doesn't feel really Metal Gear to me. Even less than the very action-oriented MGS4, which was as least very directed. Ah well, at least with this they get more creative with having different types of missions compared to AC or Batman, but this is really going to drive me away from open world games for a while.

Well I've gotta hand it to this game, I never fires a missile at a tank from horseback in any other game, nor have I ever before this decked a goat to send it off on a balloon. However, it seems to be increasingly less stealthy. I mean, you can still do stealth if you want to do a lot of running around surveying and picking the right entrance and crawling on your belly and slowly taking out the few guys you need to take care of to clear the way, but it's really super slow since it's so easy to get caught just once and then everybody is tipped off. Plus if you die then you wasted like 40 minutes with that slow process compared to like 5-10 if you fuck up an action style handling. That and the fact you get to develop like 500 weapons, many without suppressors (tho I did just get modding ability), as well as an attack helicopter, and it just doesn't seem like stealth is what it wants.

As for that action, it's pretty good. I've had a lot of fun playing around with different approaches and mix of weapons. I'd say its close-to-mid range fighting isn't as good as RE6, but still pretty good. It has nice diverse loadout options to make up for some lack of flow. The only weird thing is how good guys are at shooting at long range. One time I was peeking over a rock with a sniper rifle to hit guys waaaay far away. With my 4X scope on the sniper rifle they were pretty small and it was hard to get it to line up with their head or know when it did. As I'm doing this, one guy is shooting at me with his basic ass soviet rifle with no scope at all and pretty much tags me once every 3-round burst, disrupting my aiming process. I mean, I get they can't just miss you all the time for it to be challenging at all, but that kind of accuracy at such a distance with a shit gun was just ridiculous. Reminded me of the old Goldeneye and Medal of Honor Frontline days.

So yeah, this is turning out kind of weird. The whole build an army thing results in a lot of spam missions and it just doesn't feel really Metal Gear to me. Even less than the very action-oriented MGS4, which was as least very directed. Ah well, at least with this they get more creative with having different types of missions compared to AC or Batman, but this is really going to drive me away from open world games for a while.

it's actually very, very easy to run away and regroup and try another stealth run without dying. i've been replaying missions with limited loadouts and it's a ton of fun. you are right in that it takes 10x longer though

It's annoying how guards can see you in stealth camo during combat even if they don't see you in it before the fighting or after if you switch to it out of their sight.

Sorry if this has been asked before I left the game around mission 25 or so after finding out all the fob stuff putting me off but I'm getting the itch to come back to it.

My question is will all my staff and resources be gone now and is there an easy way to get them back? I think I had a level 2 fob and I've picked up a fair few mortars and guns but don't know if I had to set them up.

I'm worried because I did one invasion myself which I hear makes it more likely to get invaded and I haven't touched it since early October.

Dice

In the main menu you can choose to play offline. I'm pretty sure that takes you out of the whole FOB system if you don't want to mess with that aspect.

Yeah I've considered that but if there isn't too much damage done to my base I'd prefer to use it online. The problem is I suspect checking will mean I'm stuffed if it's bad.

Ludens

Banned
Is there a list of items purchasable on MGO with MB coins?
I'm on PC and of course I can't check, I want see if there's something interesting since I have 1800 MB coins and MGO will launch next month.

Yeah I've considered that but if there isn't too much damage done to my base I'd prefer to use it online. The problem is I suspect checking will mean I'm stuffed if it's bad.

i've been invaded a small handful of times and lost a very small handful of soldiers (on ps4). just beef up security on your FOB, do NOT build it up with a bunch of platforms, particularly base development as it will put resources at risk. if anything just build up the command platform. other than that, simply designate all of your top ranked soldiers as 'direct contract' so they cannot get stolen.

Top Bottom