• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

Coreda

How do you farm this Side-Op? It's unavailable to me.

It has to be done before you've completed them all. In my case I still have about 5 uncompleted, including #07 which was lucky.

The tier 8 M2000-NL instantly knocks out unarmoured enemies with a body shot.

In reflex mode, too? The grade 4 version has a tranq delay of 3.2s so unless I trigger alerts it's pretty good value already. I could see it being useful for FOBs though.

kingslunk

That was the biggest slog for me. Believe me, it made me want to stop playing MGSV and give up going for 100% at times. You can do it!

How was the animal collecting? I'm sitting at 55% animals collected so far but that's just from collecting while playing the game I haven't started intentionally collecting them. How long is it going to take me to get the other 45%?

How was the animal collecting? I'm sitting at 55% animals collected so far but that's just from collecting while playing the game I haven't started intentionally collecting them. How long is it going to take me to get the other 45%?

Starting at chapter 2 I began laying down cages randomly while I worked through rest the missions. By the time I finished the missions I had about 70% done. The last 30% took me only about an hour. And if you were curious, infinity bandana does not work with cages. It'll say you have infinite of them, but you can still only lay so many down. I thought I found a loophole by trying it.

Gui_PT

Damn. Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Wait. "Press the button"? You're manually setting a marker? You can only mark up to five locations/elements simultaneously, right?

You can only mark up to 5 locations but you can mark all the soldiers you want, it'll just erase the older markers

Kindekuma

Banned

Animal collecting wasn't that bad actually. I got all the Rare up to Ultra Rare on my first try.
The ONE animal I could not get for the life of me was the Deathstalker scorpion.

Follow this guide. It'll have a marker on the map to where you can specifically get the animals.

kingslunk

Animal collecting wasn't that bad actually. I got all the Rare up to Ultra Rare on my first try.
The ONE animal I could not get for the life of me was the Deathstalker scorpion.

Follow this guide. It'll have a marker on the map to where you can specifically get the animals.

Awesome I have the collectors guide too with a map I'll compare between the two.

I have the conversation task in 47 and then 1 mission task left each in 48-50. 4 left and I'll start the animals. Should be able to 100% it real soon. Kind of exciting I've put a lot of time into this game lol.

can't get the last convo in lingua franca to trigger. the only time i got it to trigger, i didn't get credit for listening to all of them. i listened to
the initial chat with the guard/prisoner who gets brought over the woman, the first interrogation across the way from the starting point. the dual interrogation of man and woman prisoners, and then the final interrogation of the viscount

any tips?

ss_lemonade

So I finally beat the game and have a question about the ending.

Is the medic guy from Ground Zeroes Venom Snake? How does someone turn from a medic into the perfect soldier able to fully imitate Big Boss when it comes to battlefield performance? Can't say I fully understand metal gear's story but what's the point of the cloning project to create imitations of Big Boss if you can just pick a random soldier and brainwash him into thinking he was the legendary soldier?

-Deimos

Is the medic guy from Ground Zeroes Venom Snake? How does someone turn from a medic into the perfect soldier able to fully imitate Big Boss when it comes to battlefield performance? Can't say I fully understand metal gear's story but what's the point of the cloning project to create imitations of Big Boss if you can just pick a random soldier and brainwash him into thinking he was the legendary soldier?

The answer is
wolbachia.

Kindekuma

Banned
Awesome I have the collectors guide too with a map I'll compare between the two.

I have the conversation task in 47 and then 1 mission task left each in 48-50. 4 left and I'll start the animals. Should be able to 100% it real soon. Kind of exciting I've put a lot of time into this game lol.

Awesome! Make sure you have all the delivery point receipts as well.

Listen to
The Truth Records

Gui_PT

They
fucking hypnotized him during his coma and implanted BB's experiences and missions or whatever and now he's as good as BB

myco666

Well isn't
MGS2 all about that? Raiden is basically a nobody who has been trained to be equal and surpass Solid Snake. Also aren't Liquid, Solid and Solidus all better soldiers than BB ever was?

as a straight-up narrative, it's hokey; but it's a clear 4th wall breaking statement about video games. you the player are the medic, a random soldier who has honed his skills over the years playing video games. if we convince you, the random player, that you are big boss, would you be able to step up to the task and fill big bosses shoes? could you become a legendary soldier if we trick you into thinking you are the real big boss?

So guys, quick question, I'm thinking of getting back into MGS V after a couple months hiatus due to the constant stream of releases. I know this question may have been asked and answered in various ways but is there a consensus on whether the game is "in tact" (ie not completely ruined my microtransactions). Apologies if this is a dumb question but I've been fairly out of the loop.

Thanks in advance!

myco666

So guys, quick question, I'm thinking of getting back into MGS V after a couple months hiatus due to the constant stream of releases. I know this question may have been asked and answered in various ways but is there a consensus on whether the game is "in tact" (ie not completely ruined my microtransactions). Apologies if this is a dumb question but I've been fairly out of the loop.

Thanks in advance!

I haven't logged in about a week but last time I checked it had those ugly microtransactions. However they only show up if you have already poured 150+ hours into the game since most of them are very late game stuff and something that you can pretty much ignore. So to me the game hasn't been ruined even if the "pay us more money" prompts show up more often. Unless there has been some major change that I don't know about.

Setsuna

Big boss
as a soldier is good but that doesn't mean
he
cant be surpassed by others

For all you know
Medic
is one of those rare soldiers on the field with all S+/S++ stats

BadWolf

He was BB's best soldier, they tell you about this in the truth tapes. And then there's the placebo effect of thinking you are Big Boss and having been through so much.

And he is also the Snake that got the most back up. A dog, a sniper, a bi-pedal vehicle, tanks, armoured vehicles, air support etc. Big Boss and Solid Snake never had this.

I beat the game last night. Mission 46, now it makes sense. Its a shame we never got mission 51 besides it being on the extra disc for the collector's edition. The game ended at Mission 46 for me.

BadWolf

I thought the Mission 51 thing was a joke. Wow. Just read a Kotaku article on it. What a shame.

You can watch it on youtube.

It was most likely supposed to be DLC that they would complete and release after the game launched but the fallout between Konami and Kojima put an end to that.

I haven't logged in about a week but last time I checked it had those ugly microtransactions. However they only show up if you have already poured 150+ hours into the game since most of them are very late game stuff and something that you can pretty much ignore. So to me the game hasn't been ruined even if the "pay us more money" prompts show up more often. Unless there has been some major change that I don't know about.

Cool. Sounds ok then - thanks!

Socreges

Banned
You can watch it on youtube.

It was most likely supposed to be DLC that they would complete and release after the game launched but the fallout between Konami and Kojima put an end to that.
Yeah the video was in the article. Saved it for later.

What makes you think it was supposed to be DLC? I figured it was supposed to be main game, but they were concerned about delays and/or budget.

Finally got the requirements for the gun cam.
84 base development unit huehuehuehuehuehue
Now i just have to wait
10 days
Hopefully im still alive by then

Coreda

After finally learning the proper disarm/hold-up CQC technique captured 3 consecutive outposts, going on to capture the entire Afghanistan Central Base Camp.

Knew the disarm maneuver was aim+CQC but didn't realize it was sequential and only a single tap each. Feels far more empowering seeing entire bases indefinitely held up while casually walking around than merely tranq'ing everyone.

Gui_PT

Guys, what's the best mission to farm vehicles?

i want to boost my PF stats and apparently having lots of vehicles does that

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
as a straight-up narrative, it's hokey; but it's a clear 4th wall breaking statement about video games. you the player are the medic, a random soldier who has honed his skills over the years playing video games. if we convince you, the random player, that you are big boss, would you be able to step up to the task and fill big bosses shoes? could you become a legendary soldier if we trick you into thinking you are the real big boss?
I think that is taking the analogy of a gamer thing too literally. The fact it does so with the game is just pointing to the fact it happens in real life all the time. People gain their identity from the language used around them; when the language is about war and loss and revenge, they take it on as if it happened to them. So generation after generation, even within a single generation, people adopt a history that was never theirs personally, an identity that has nothing to do with the life they lived, and take on actions they never would have otherwise. People die, their roles are filled in by someone else. The war keeps going. The more you invest to killing, the more narrative there is to make more soldiers, like fighting the man on fire. The Soviets find this against the Mujahideen. The enemies of Mother Base find it in Venom and the new recruits. The child soldiers are another manifestation of it. That is the phantom pain. The narrative filling the empty space of those who died in war, like they still exist, suffering until revenge is had.

I think that is taking the analogy of a gamer thing too literally. The fact it does so with the game is just pointing to the fact it happens in real life all the time. People gain their identity from the language used around them; when the language is about war and loss and revenge, they take it on as if it happened to them. So generation after generation, even within a single generation, people adopt a history that was never theirs personally, an identity that has nothing to do with the life they lived, and take on actions they never would have otherwise. People die, their roles are filled in by someone else. The war keeps going. The more you invest to killing, the more narrative there is to make more soldiers, like fighting the man on fire. The Soviets find this against the Mujahideen. The enemies of Mother Base find it in Venom and the new recruits. The child soldiers are another manifestation of it. That is the phantom pain. The narrative filling the empty space of those who died in war, like they still exist, suffering until revenge is had.

certainly room for both interpretations. like an work of art, the ambiguity allows for this sort of thing. koijima may very well have intentionally made a statement about language and culture, while also making a statement about video games and player agency. i like how you tied in the theme of language though

BadWolf

What makes you think it was supposed to be DLC? I figured it was supposed to be main game, but they were concerned about delays and/or budget.

- It is the only unfinished aspect of the story.

- Being called Episode 51 and the Phantom Episode. A lot of people are/were clamoring for a Chapter 3, this episode is what the additional story content was supposed to be imo. Those who finished the game would have thought it was missing and then bam it would show up and tie up the lose end. Would have played further into the whole phantom pain theme.

- It was planned out from start to finish both in terms of story and gameplay and seems self contained into a single (dlc) episode, going by the summary they released. Even some voice acting was done.

New FOB event has S++ soldier rewards.

The long-awaited third FOB event is here!
In Event FOB missions, there is no risk of retaliation (no defending player will attack your base as revenge),so you can steal staff and materials to your heart’s content!

Reward contents
Among all platforms infiltrated:

- Reach the core of your first chosen platform type (number 1) to earn [S++ Staff] x2 for the relevant unit
- Reach the core of your last chosen platform type (number 7) to earn [S++ Staff] x3 for the relevant unit
- For each other platform core reached: [S Staff] x5 for the relevant unit

Event period
Dec. 8, 2015 end of maintenance time to Dec. 17, 2015 3:00AM (GMT)

Also those who care about PF:

If you've completed development of the machine gun[LPG-63U] during the event period below, your PF's [Offensive Capability] and [Defensive Capability] will get a huge boost. If you haven't developed it yet, put your R&D Team on the job right away!

Event period
Dec. 8,2015 end of maintenance time to Dec. 22,2015 start of maintenance time (GMT)

The Virtual League (PF Rating) menu has been upgraded...Now it's your turn to upgrade your PF and fight for glory!For each requirement met, you'll receive fantastic rewards such as MB Coins!Try out the newly added "Missiles," and exchange the PF Points you've won for high-ranking staff!

Rewards

Fulfill the requirements below in PF RATING (accessible via the iDroid's MOTHER BASE tab) during the above event period to earn the corresponding rewards.

* Virtual league battles are held regularly each week.
* In order to participate in this campaign, you must own an FOB by Dec. 8, 7:00AM, GMT (the start of that week's round of battles).

- Exchange PF Points for a reward via the PF Points Exchange menu at least once. -> Reward: [MB Coins] x30
- Finish in the Top 3 in a round of virtual league battles -> Reward: 3x multiplier applied to PF Points earned
- Achieve a win rate of better than 50% in a round of virtual league battles -> Reward: [Fuel Resources (Processed)] x30000
- Use "Liquid Carbon Missiles" at least once -> Reward: [Combat Unit S Staff] x5
- Use "Anti-Ballistic Missiles" at least once -> Reward: [Combat Unit S Staff] x5

Event period
Dec. 8, 2015 end of maintenance time to Dec. 15,2015 7:00AM (GMT)

Reward distribution date
Rewards will be distributed sequentially beginning Dec. 15, 7:00AM (GMT)

How to raise your PF Rating

Each week, your PF Rating will increase if you have placed in the Top 3 in that week’s virtual league battles.
How do I win virtual league battles?

Raising your PF’s [Offensive Capability] and [Durability] will give you an advantage in the attack phase of the automatic battle.
- [Offensive Capability] is based on:
Combat Unit level, combined levels of non-Combat Unit staff, overall equipment grade, resources owned (nuclear weapons, vehicles, fighting vehicles [tanks/armored vehicles], Walker Gears, medicinal plants, parasite canisters)
- [Durability] is based on:
Combat Unit staff numbers, resources owned (processed materials, unprocessed materials), GMP
Raising your PF’s [Defensive Capability] and [Durability] will give you an advantage in the defense phase of the automatic battle.
- [Defensive Capability] is based on:
FOB defense level, Security Team level, Support Unit level, combined levels of non-Security/non-Support staff, number of platforms, resources owned (nuclear weapons, anti-air emplacements, mortars, machine gun emplacements, Walker Gears, medicinal plants, parasite canisters)
- [Durability] is based on:
Security Team staff numbers, number of platforms, resources owned (processed materials, unprocessed materials), number of nuclear weapons owned, GMP

Dice

loooooooooooooool

So I happened to be in the neighborhood of an old side op so I decided to do it dirty. I put a few quality guys to sleep for pickup then shot the rest with the help of the chopper. I was sending off the guys on the roof and the chopper said it was all clear and it even said base captured so I'm like sweet, no guys. I get down by hanging off the ledge and dropping down, turn around and it's right into reflex mode because apparently there was a guy there and apparently he just turned around when I did. I already had my assault rifle so I basically stood there 1 foot away from him unloading my entire mag into his face in slomo.

The combination of all clear and then surprise and then gruesome slomo in such a short span was hilarious. I tried to make it record the last 30 seconds but I guess DVR works differently now so you have to launch it manually beforehand (or it just auto-launches with FH2, the last game I used it on) so it didn't have anything but the couple seconds of play since I went to DVR.

Socreges

Banned
That reminds me...

I didn't kill a single enemy all game until I reached a tough section in Africa and thought I'd slit a guy's throat to be safe. Immediately moody music started playing and my Intel team marked ME as a threat. It was bizarre.

I never killed another enemy after that.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

If you have the time, you might like to read a study of MGSV I made recently :)

Lord of the Parasites
Finished reading this a few hours ago and I really must say, I'm impressed.
It covers aspects and gives insight to details I would have never thought about or considered and it made me realize once more, how much depth is hidden in those games.
Amazing. I should definitely visit the mgs forums on a regular basis.
Bookmarked for future reference.

That's actually a great idea. I can get the mission done in 5 minutes

I don't have to
get Quiet back again after that, right?
For mission 45 just spam
sandstorm
and equip NVGs. Easymode for getting the extract vehicles task complete.

You get Quiet
back after replaying her boss fight 7 times. The mission name changes from Replay to Reunion on the 7th

That reminds me...

I didn't kill a single enemy all game until I reached a tough section in Africa and thought I'd slit a guy's throat to be safe. Immediately moody music started playing and my Intel team marked ME as a threat. It was bizarre.

I never killed another enemy after that.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

this is a glitch. you'll also experience it if you fulton enemies you previously had tagged. when you kill or fulton someone, their marker disappears from your screen and the map. between the removal of the marker and the time they die/are fulton'd the intel team reads their presence near you and marks a field of movement on the map, which then promptly disappears again. probably happened to me over a dozen times.

Gui_PT

For mission 45 just spam
sandstorm
and equip NVGs. Easymode for getting the extract vehicles task complete.

You get Quiet
back after replaying her boss fight 7 times. The mission name changes from Replay to Reunion on the 7th

Oh I know but what if I've done all that and redo mission 45? Do I have to redo the rest?
Because I ain't doin that mission 7 times again

Coreda

After all this time I discovered by accident that by using the left analog stick you can switch positions while arriving by chopper. Any other non-obvious controls?

KJZwgZg.gif

After all this time I discovered by accident that by using the left analog stick you can switch positions while arriving by chopper. Any other non-obvious controls?

KJZwgZg.gif
Whilst driving a car, you can open up the iDroid menu, go to map, press triangle and keep on driving in first person view while having the map shown in the bottom right corner of the screen. Pretty useful in certain situations.
Don't remember if this works with D-Horse as well, since I haven't used him in a while. Gonna try it out tomorrow.

Whilst driving a car, you can open up the iDroid menu, go to map, press triangle and keep on driving in first person view while having the map shown in the bottom right corner of the screen. Pretty useful in certain situations.
Don't remember if this works with D-Horse as well, since I haven't used him in a while. Gonna try it out tomorrow.

Doesn't work on D-horse. Stupid horse just stops when you open i-Droid. It's annoying.

danthefan

Guys what it's going on with extracting staff here please.

I just did a side op and during the course of it found a guy who had A++ in R&D. I tranqed and fultoned him, the success chance was 100%. I continued on and finished the mission and extracted via helicopter. I'm now in the staff management screen in the first chopper and I can not find any sign of this guy. He's not in the brig, he's not on any team, where could he have gotten to?

Dice

I accidentally ran into the mission to get Quiet. She was the last available mission to me on the list. I didn't know what lethal weapons would do so I used my rubber bullet smg. Took a while. Not sure if I had the ability to research and deploy the tranq sniper rifle... probably should have checked.

Dez

I want to start the game over from scratch to re-experience it, but want to keep my save in case i want to go back to the grind. Can I do this on PC?

Top Bottom