• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

Is there a list of items purchasable on MGO with MB coins?
I'm on PC and of course I can't check, I want see if there's something interesting since I have 1800 MB coins and MGO will launch next month.

If I remember correctly it's just some silly hats, bathing suits, and color variants that require MB. I might check sometime tonight to confirm.

J.EM1

Just got the cutscene where
DD is so excited to see Boss at Mother Base
. Figures since I haven't been taking him (and the others) out on missions.

Thrakier

So I just finsished (Mission 43, watched the rest) the game and I got to say that it was extremly disappointing.

- MGS was always story first, gameplay later, but it was interwoven in a way that most other games are not. Every MGS game was an experience, one which you more often than not you'd like to experience more than once. It was basically up there with the resident evils etc. - MGS V is only gameplay. It's like making a Final Fantasy Tatctics VII out of the Final Fantasy VII remake.
- Snake in his various forms was always one of the most iconic and interesting characters in the video game industry. After MGS V, there is nothing left of that magic. While the true ending might explain that, it doesn't make things better.
- The gameplay itself is fine, the mechanics are pretty good albeit repetition is king too here as well. But good mechanics alone isn't enough, not for a game with MGS in the title. More often than not, the reason for you acting in the virtual world isn't there or it is unninteresting.
- The micromanagement galore - seriously - what the heck? Are they serious? That shit alone should've led to worse reviews.

Basically, everything which made MGS games great in the past was stripped away and replaced with generic mechanics from well established series which sold a lot. I wouldn't go as far calling MGS V a game without soul, but it is pretty damn close.

With Kojima gone, I now have phantom pain.

120v

so... about to dive back in after raging over chapter 2 and quitting for a month...

here's the deal, i want to finish the story but i think harder versions of past missions being main missions is complete bullshit and i refuse to do them. am i still able to finish without doing these?

i assumed i could if i just grinded out side ops so i did about 20 or so, waiting for a cinematic to pop up... then nothing... did more side ops, waited, and nothing. more and more side ops and waited... and nothing. so do i just need to do more or am i going to have to bite the bullet with these XTREME retread missions

if it matters, i finished every Ch 1 main mission except Back Up Back Down (seriously, fuck Back Up Back down)

Yeah, you don't need to do those missions at all ;) Just the missions marked yellow and the last mission opens if you've listened to the yellow tapes (you don't even have to listen to them, just click on them).

Yeah, you don't need to do those missions at all ;) Just the missions marked yellow and the last mission opens if you've listened to the yellow tapes (you don't even have to listen to them, just click on them).
I would still strongly recommend listening to the tapes. They are more than worth your time if you're interested in the game's lore.
The excellent voice acting itself does already make it worth listening to.

Dreez

Whoaaa I thought after killing
Sahelanthropus
I finally beat the game... I'm exhausted after that fight. Think I'm gonna take at least a week before I pick it back up.

Woffls

Is there a list of missions that are actually relevant to the main story so that I can play through this game again with a friend in as few hours as possible?

Finally I bought my 2nd FOB, yeah. what now?

Hop in the back of a truck and leave your system running 24/7 so you can generate the needed resources to fully upgrade it. Either that or enjoy the awful grind of farming it yourself. Then in about 2-3 weeks time you'll acquire the disappointment that comes with the realization that a 2nd fully upgraded FOB still isn't enough by itself to research all the game's equipment. So start saving them MB coins to buy a third! Only about 450 MB more for me to go.

Chola

Banned
Hop in the back of a truck and leave your system running 24/7 so you can generate the needed resources to fully upgrade it. Either that or enjoy the awful grind of farming it yourself. Then in about 2-3 weeks time you'll acquire the disappointment that comes with the realization that a 2nd fully upgraded FOB still isn't enough by itself to research all the game's equipment. So start saving them MB coins to buy a third! Only about 450 MB more for me to go.

wow, great :)

Coreda

No kidding. Either Kojima is a sadist or Konami tinkered heavily with the development requirements to justify their microtransactions and FOB BS.

To be a fly on the wall during such decisions.

myco666

2nd FOB isn't enough to get everything? Well fuck. I don't really know if I want to put the time and effort that the second FOB needs if it isn't even enough to get all stuff. I have almost 1000MB coins but I don't really know what to do with them.

2nd FOB isn't enough to get everything? Well fuck. I don't really know if I want to put the time and effort that the second FOB needs if it isn't even enough to get all stuff. I have almost 1000MB coins but I don't really know what to do with them.

It might be if you somehow manage to fully deck them out with S+(+) troops. But the time requirement for that alone is insane. Either that or I'm missing something.

No kidding. Either Kojima is a sadist or Konami tinkered heavily with the development requirements to justify their microtransactions and FOB BS.

I suspect it's Konami's doing. The last few months felt like they've just been making tweaks in order to encourage micro-transaction purchases.

SJRB

Gold Member

I don't think Kojima had any say in these kind of matters. It's obvious the game is pushed beyond the boundaries or normal gameplay to strongarm the player into microtransactions.

MGSV treats the player with absolute contempt.

I think the dumbest thing is that if Konami had just sold the weapons as part of a pack then I think people would be more okay with it and more would be willing to buy it. But instead they want to make you either really work/wait for it, or pay to make it so you have to work/wait slightly less.

I just finished Mission 24. I don't care about spoilers so can someone tell me:
Do I need to start quarantining the sick people? What language do I need to look for?

I just finished Mission 24. I don't care about spoilers so can someone tell me:
Do I need to start quarantining the sick people? What language do I need to look for?

Look at the languages of the infected. They should all share 1 in common. You technically don't have to quarantine them and can just progress through story missions, but then you're going to lose a bunch. If you're really okay being spoiled then click this spoiler link to find the answer.

Finally, unexpectedly got to invade a FOB with a nuke... Got to the last platform and realized I had no fucking clue where it was stored, goddammit. Got seen on the last platform by a stupid camera and it got even more fun, ended up just making a mad dash to the door in the last minute and naturally got a bunch of S ranked staff in the one category I didn't need any more S ranked staff in.

I should've just went to bed.

EDIT: Okay... So apparently they're supposed to be by the helipad? ... I didn't see anything there. Yeah, I should've not bothered and just went to bed. Going to do that now, lack of sleep makes me even dumber than usual on top of being cranky on top of currently being salty on the nuke thing.

Gui_PT

Well thats lame. I thought that you could get all the weapons if you had second FOB. Thanks Konami.

You can

I only have a little over 100 S+ and S++ and can get nearly ever weapon.
Highest you need is Medical at 95 if I'm not mistaken. I have it at 93.
Just do the events that give you S++ soldiers and infiltrate a few high level bases. You can direct contract them which will make it impossible for infiltrators to take them from you.

You can also get S+, S++ soldiers in exchange for PF points.

Lots and lots of ways to get the soldiers you need to develop everything

You can

Just do the events that give you S++ soldiers and infiltrate a few high level bases. You can direct contract them which will make it impossible for infiltrators to take them from you.

There's another weapon I believe that requires 95 in another platform, but if you've manage to get it in one then you should be able to get it in another. However it's still absolutely ridiculous that you have to invade other players in order to get that. PF points aren't reliable or a quick source. I've been actively working on PF battles for over a month and have only managed to buy 1 S+ and S++. And that's WITH event point bonuses for ending in the top 3. At this point it's quicker and less insane for me to just work an extra hour at work, buy MB coins, and build a 3rd FOB to fill with jobbers to meet the requirement.

Erigu

It really isn't that easy getting from 93 to 95...
And if you look at the development menu while offline, you'll see there are still some more "?" slots (for future weapon / equipment). Considering you need to reach level 94 for the current, grade 7 sneaking suit and battle dress, I imagine you'll need more than level 95 for the grade 8 ones.

PF points aren't reliable or a quick source. I've been actively working on PF battles for over a month and have only managed to buy 1 S+ and S++. And that's WITH event point bonuses for ending in the top 3.
You should use deployments (if you don't already, of course!). Some of them have a 100% chance of netting you a few S+ guys at the cost of a few S ones (and since you can easily get those in the main game anyway...).

You should use deployments (if you don't already, of course!). Some of them have a 100% chance of netting you a few S+ guys at the cost of a few S ones (and since you can easily get those in the main game anyway...).

Yeah I do those too. You usually only get 3-4 and they take at least 24 hours if not several days. Apparently there was a previous event which had a 10x multiplier to them so people were actually getting 30-40 S+ soldiers, but it has only been done the once.

myco666

You can

I highly doubt that I have the time to play it so much that I would get enough S+ and S++ soldiers for the weapons though. I think I have maybe around 20 S+ and S++ soldiers so I would need to get way over 100 more of those to even be close to that stuff and I would assume that takes closer to 50 hours or way more.

Erigu

Yeah I do those too. You usually only get 3-4 and they take at least 24 hours if not several days. Apparently there was a previous event which had a 10x multiplier to them so people were actually getting 30-40 S+ soldiers, but it has only been done the once.
Yeah, there have been better times to use that method (even just a couple of weeks ago)...
Still, it's true that it takes a while, but it's not like you need to do anything in the meantime, at least. At worst, you'll need to replenish your ranks when some of your guys don't make it back home (and there are some side ops that help quite a bit with that).

Also, something I realized recently (but you may have noticed already)... In Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, development of a weapon or piece of equipment could get interrupted if you no longer met the requirements. This time around (for those absurdly expensive weapons that require online resources and take real time to develop, at least, I'm not sure about the rest), it seems you only need to meet the requirements when you start development. That makes it slightly easier than I thought it would be.

EDIT: Yep, managed to start development on a grade 8 weapon that required a level 95 Support unit, despite my Support unit generally being stuck at 92 or 93 (in good part because somebody keeps stealing my S guys from that platform... 80 or so in one week).

I think Gui stole one too many nukes from the wrong person and they took his account in retaliation. Hope he gets it back soon as he still manages to disclose tips I didn't know about.

Coreda

Up until this point I've refrained from the whole shouting into the void at Konami thing but this is something that I can't stand.

Now, even if the actual internet connection is disconnected the game won't launch. Previously this dialog only displayed while in Steam's Offline mode, but would launch fine if the actual connection was offline. Something must have changed recently and it's not at all acceptable.

PrXj9z8.png

So the game is now forced online only. Fuck this bullshit, Konami.

Is there a significant difference between the PC and PS4 version?

I just got a beefy PC should surely run it at whatever I want.

But the holidays are coming up, so bringing my PS4 over is definitely a more viable choice.

Ludens

Banned
Up until this point I've refrained from the whole shouting into the void at Konami thing but this is something that I can't stand.

Now, even if the actual internet connection is disconnected the game won't launch. Previously this dialog only displayed while in Steam's Offline mode, but would launch fine if the actual connection was offline. Something must have changed recently and it's not at all acceptable.

PrXj9z8.png

So the game is now forced online only. Fuck this bullshit, Konami.

I received that message on Sept. 2, so it was always like that.

Coreda

I received that message on Sept. 2, so it was always like that.

A single post I could find indicated that if the game launches at least during the day while connected any subsequent launches while fully disconnected will work. This may have been what has happened in past instances where I've launched while disconnected.

There's still no excusing it, for a full-priced and non-online-essential game to require connectively just to launch is unacceptable as it handles offline mode while open just fine.

Ludens

Banned
A single post I could find indicated that if the game launches at least during the day while connected any subsequent launches while fully disconnected will work. This may have been what has happened in past instances where I've launched while disconnected.

There's still no excusing it, for a full-priced and non-online-essential game to require connectively just to launch is unacceptable.

I'm not defending this, only stated it was already present.
Tell SE with LR too, at least you can play MGSV offline if you want, with LR is impossible.

Coreda

I'm not defending this, only stated it was already present.
Tell SE with LR too, at least you can play MGSV offline if you want, with LR is impossible.

Didn't mean to phrase it that way, wasn't really directed at your post. I'd hope there was some vocal criticism about LR if that's the case as the trend is bad for gaming long-term.

Is there a significant difference between the PC and PS4 version?

I just got a beefy PC should surely run it at whatever I want.

But the holidays are coming up, so bringing my PS4 over is definitely a more viable choice.

I play on PS4 but only because I wanted the collector edition and PC didn't have it. If it did, then I'd have choose PC. The game plays perfectly fine on PS4 but thanks to the crap Konami has implemented I would prefer having access to Cheat Engine or some other tool that allows me to bypass their absolute nonsense. Also there's the matter of whether you care about MGO3. Not sure when that's coming to PC but you can play it on PS4 now.

There's still no excusing it, for a full-priced and non-online-essential game to require connectively just to launch is unacceptable as it handles offline mode while open just fine.

At this stage I'm not sure I'd call MGSV non-online-essential. At least if you want to play with everything. Regardless I agree that it's absolute nonsense and there's no excuse for it other than Konami. It's probably done to make bypassing their crap more difficult or to better force players into online mode so they're susceptible to FOB invasions.

Setsuna

I wonder how expensive everything is.

Sleeping gas rocket launcher

EDIT Holy shit at all of these rewards from challenges
EDIT2 I dont think the developers are aware of there Items:playable content ratio

myco666

I wonder how expensive everything is.

Sleeping gas rocket launcher

EDIT Holy shit at all of these rewards from challenges
EDIT2 I dont think the developers are aware of there Items:playable content ratio

What?! Haha! That is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

Do I even want to read these updates or are they full of more heavy-handed tactics to get us to buy microtransactions.

Edit: Oh look, they've added a 4th FOB. Now watch the new items require it for development.

Skux

Holy shit just got a buttload of rewards from the new patch's challenge system! Almost all of the challenge rewards are retroactive.

Oh no, I've confirmed it myself just a couple of hours ago.
In fact, I seem to remember seeing that kind of requirement for a grade 8 (out of 9, now) piece of equipment.

Well that's just fantastic. I actually just read some guy who had 3 maxed out FOBs with S+(+) only troops and he couldn't reach two of the development requirements. I guess this will be my daily...

Saddest part is that there are actually people still defending this.

Top Bottom