• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Slug animated gifs are fucking awesome so post your favorites. 56k WARNING!!!

mao2

M0zMSeZ.gif

Now this is MUCH better !
So cute!

D8hYXES.gif

FzIuT0P.gif

Come_on,_work_for_goodnes_sack.gif

I know about the chill peppers, but not about the car battery electricity. I really should go back and play some MS3, but I don't like that game very much.

Whether you get the pepper or the battery is random. Iirc, the pepper's fireball lets you hit enemies on the ledge above you, but the electricity gets you more points.

Yes! The energy beam it fires is one of my favorite effects animations in the game.
I found a blog called Pixel Digest that had the energy beam itself without the main sprite, so I comped the two together. (Edit: Added an extra version with a dark background so the effect is a bit more visible on the forum)

ZcCCVDx.gif
GeEOE4E.gif

Woohoo! Nice find! Yeah, that awesome wispy laser effect looks so good against the stormy skies in the background... super cool boss too, love the Aztec feel to it.

*EDIT* Hahaha, what the fuck!?

Fun Fact: Monkeying Around

In Metal Slug 3, you can find a monkey partner named Utan at the start of Mission 2. If you sit with him long enough, he begins to play through a variety of idle animations. One in particular has him eating bananas that he pulls out of his diaper. If you idle long enough, he’ll eat three bananas, but on the fourth, he accidentally pulls out his penis, blushes and then quickly puts it back in.

tumblr_inline_n6h5cfTah61ri065t.gif

http://pixeldigest.tumblr.com/post/87464583477/fun-fact-monkeying-around

Oh yeah, 4 isn't great either, and 5 was better. I don't feel like 4 was all that unfair when it comes to difficulty. I'm not very good at Metal Slug at all, so maybe I don't get the little nuance in the difficulty. I just know MS3's bullet sponges are horrible. Also, the zombie death animation took forever. So when you die, you have to slowly watch the really well done animation, but after dying for a while, it gets repetitive.

I still think 3 did the best job with the multiple routes (except level 2).

MS4 definitely had some huge balance issues. Mission 2 is one of the easiest levels in the series, but the boss is absurdly tough, probably harder than most final bosses. Mission 3 has that horrible mummy section. They definitely aren't as guilty of cheap quarter-sucking as 3, though.

Have you tried 6 and 7? They're much more fair than the others, especially 7.

Have you tried 6 and 7? They're much more fair than the others, especially 7.

Playing them right now actually.

6 is the only one I haven't played till a week ago. Too bad auto fire doesn't work in 6 for some reason in the PSP Anthology. Works for all the games but 6. I like that each character has their specialty in 6 and 7.

Krammy

Yes! The energy beam it fires is one of my favorite effects animations in the game.
I found a blog called Pixel Digest that had the energy beam itself without the main sprite, so I comped the two together. (Edit: Added an extra version with a dark background so the effect is a bit more visible on the forum)

Heheh, that's my blog. Unfortunately I never actually finished any of the Sol Dae Rokker animations, although they're all about 90% done. One day maybe!

Since most of the stuff I've put on Pixel Digest has already been posted here, I'll put up some gifs that never saw the light of day.

Man Eater
tumblr_inline_oajr4pSJ0X1ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_oajr4pbNQ01ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_oajr4pzF831ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_oajr4qjGIl1ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_oajr4rbVfh1ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_oajr4rKbrS1ri065t_500.gif

Chowmein Conga
tumblr_inline_oajr9l6M5m1ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_oajr9lSMZx1ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_oajr9lLJlZ1ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_oajr9l7AsM1ri065t_500.gif

Krammy

Wait, how do you get this one? I swear they have a different death animation.

It's the shotgun death animation with the giblets removed (because the way they fly apart is randomly generated). EDIT: They probably have a couple different death animations, like most enemies in Metal Slug. The Mummy Dog for example has 3 or 4 different death animations if I remember correctly.

It's the shotgun death animation with the giblets removed (because the way they fly apart is randomly generated). EDIT: They probably have a couple different death animations, like most enemies in Metal Slug. The Mummy Dog for example has 3 or 4 different death animations if I remember correctly.

Oh, derp. I see it now.

The animation of the dog hurtling through the air when you blow it up is amazing.

EDIT:

And awesome blog, by the way.

Nudull

Banned
So, the dudes immediately turn to skeletons when melting, while the women simply get naked before melting into goo. Hrm, didn't quite notice until now. :/

That aside, this series has some gorgeous sprite work.

AdanVC

This thread came in a perfect time. I finished Metal Slug 3 for the first time this past weekend. For some reason I only played the first three missions and never bothered on finish it despite being a super short (but intense as heck) game.

The animations are supreme! It's like the they were done by Disney animators of the golden age! It is that good! I could spend hours watching every single character and machine animation.

It would be absolutely amazing to see SNK pull a brand new Metal Slug game.

I don't remember ever seeing these.
Are they from MS3?

Yes. In Mission 4 (the one that starts out in a desert), go in the building with the giant plants. There's a crank that opens a passageway into an underground area filled with bugs.

Prepare to get naked (and melt into a puddle of goo).

Heheh, that's my blog. Unfortunately I never actually finished any of the Sol Dae Rokker animations, although they're all about 90% done. One day maybe!

Oh nice! Great blog, I just discovered it searching for the Sol Dae Rokker animations but I'm looking through your other stuff now. You have a ton of great stuff on there (just saw you posted some of Venom's beautiful anims from MVC). Glad you posted those MS3 Man Eater sprites here too, I always loved their transformation and death animations.

Edit: I have seen your blog before - I had stumbled across it when you posted the KOF2003 intro without the flash effect. I remember thinking it was interesting they bothered to have additional frames back there and that those unfinished frames looked like the backs of old painted cels.

Wow, i'm aware of these games but never really realized/appreciated the quality of the animations and sprites.. Getting the urge to pick this series up and play now!

Fasty

I've always wondered how these were created, because they're simply on another level to anything else out there, even today. Did they have some special software or technique?

correojon

Awesome thread, this is possibly the best sprite-animated game ever. Even with 7 or 8 releases they still put a lot of care and love into everything. I love the sense of humour of the game. Subbed!

Krammy

I've always wondered how these were created, because they're simply on another level to anything else out there, even today. Did they have some special software or technique?

We had a really nice thread discussing this actually. Nothing you probably wouldn't already have assumed, but some good information was dug up here.

https://youtu.be/RjXF0SX7qlQ

MS3 Level 8 no death run

Best part if the final mission being as long as the first four

This is a great run, thanks for posting this. Too bad about the youtube compression, but this player is great, and it's fun to watch all the tricks and level knowledge at play. And yeah, the last mission is actually more than half the game. I ran a rough tally, and it took this player a little over 27 minutes to beat the first 4 missions and nearly 33 minutes to beat the 5th one. I remember learning that stage was pretty grueling when it came out on Xbox/PS2 since those releases limited you to only 3 lives per level. Learning the ins and outs of 6-8 minute levels isn't too bad, but that final one is a half hour marathon and took a lot of attempts to reach the later sections in order to even begin learning how to do them efficiently.

I don't remember ever seeing these.
Are they from MS3?

To expand on TheRedSnifit's answer, this part of the flawless youtube playthrough goes through the snail section of Mission 4. The specific path to get there starts around 1:45, he enters the snail caves at 2:20, and then encounters the large slug enemies and snails near the end around 5:20.

Loptous

Yes. In Mission 4 (the one that starts out in a desert), go in the building with the giant plants. There's a crank that opens a passageway into an underground area filled with bugs.

To expand on TheRedSnifit's answer, this part of the flawless youtube playthrough goes through the snail section of Mission 4. The specific path to get there starts around 1:45, he enters the snail caves at 2:20, and then encounters the large slug enemies and snails near the end around 5:20.
Thanks and crazy that I never got to that part despite playing this more than a few dozens of times! And especially since I really hate the section with the man-eating bugs and plants too!

Shredderi

It's ridiculous how detailed AND well animated everything is. Having done pixel art animation myself, these look like fucking nightmare to animate. We will never get this level of pixel art animation with such high detail again. The detailed pixel shadowing makes everything look more detailed than if it was just cell shade coloured.

Top Bottom