• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes 1UP review - 8.5

jiggle

soda.jpg
49105main_popcorn.jpg

Kon Tiki

Banned
Same complaints as EGM. Difficulty ( a bit hard), get items too late in the game, and multiplayer.
I never died in MP1, so greater difficulty is a good thing, and I will never touch multi. :p As far as getting late items, that has me a bit worried. I am sure som SB will fix that nicely.

1up also has 2 new movies up.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Kseutron said:
DRIV3R 8.5/10 too

1up rulez...

Well, that's just wrong. How did they justify that in the end? Was that all part of the Atari/PR/bribery scandal?

If so...WHAT VILE TRECHARY!! HOW CAN WE TRUST 1UP?!? PM2/GI NEVAR FORGET!!!1

etc.

Well, mission accomplished, hits to 1UP.com: Increased!

I'm all for pointing out a game's flaws, but apply that standard to every review then. Every single major console release this fall has major flaws. If you're gonna ignore intangibles and focus strictly on gameplay, how does GTA:SA get anything above 5? Seriously, only Half Life 2 (Slim chance on Vampires) is above reproach here. Are they being critical for all releases? No. Oh, well, it doesn't change the fact it's still the best console game of the year.

"If you're gonna ignore intangibles and focus strictly on gameplay, how does GTA:SA get anything above 5?""

Are you serious? I can't think of any games that offer you as many (well designed) gameplay options as San Andreas does.

SantaC

uh 8.5 is good from 1up since they are usually quite tough. It's not like this game wont have reviews under 9. Even halo 2 has reviews under 9. So I don't understand the fuzz.

Speevy

Banned
ravingloon said:
Well, mission accomplished, hits to 1UP.com: Increased!

I'm all for pointing out a game's flaws, but apply that standard to every review then. Every single major console release this fall has major flaws. If you're gonna ignore intangibles and focus strictly on gameplay, how does GTA:SA get anything above 5? Seriously, only Half Life 2 (Slim chance on Vampires) is above reproach here. Are they being critical for all releases? No. Oh, well, it doesn't change the fact it's still the best console game of the year.

Because GTASA's graphics are "scopey" and its controls "varied".

Also,

The Question You Already Know The Answer To

Halo 2 is not perfect. There are specific minor details you can point to as evidence that the game has flaws -- there are minor graphical and AI glitches, and you can't play co-op online -- but it almost feels unfair to even mention those points in this review, because none of them are significant enough to bring down their own part of the game, much less the game as a whole.
I've played roughly 15 hours of multiplayer battles in the past two days, after having played through a 24 hour single and multiplayer session a few weeks ago. We have Metroid Prime 2 in the office, with Metal Gear Solid 3, Prince of Persia 2 and Half-Life 2 on the way. All those great games, and there's nothing I'd rather do than play more Halo 2.

More playtime = 10.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Society said:
I never died in MP, so greater difficulty is a good thing, and I will never touich MP.

Sometimes, I am easily amused.

(Even if the original post is edited ;))

etiolate

Banned

It's a matter of what is currently acceptable amongst game media to piss on. Being that they gave driv3r an 8.5, you can value their own great chain of importance.

ElyrionX

You may fight the controls in Metroid Prime some of the time. In fact, leave the "may" out -- you will go to war with them in multiple boss battles.

See? No dual analog kills the game. Sorry fanboys........

-1 sales

ge-man

The review makes an interesting case about Metroid feeling stale, but I disagree with the sci-fic archeologist complaint, however. Take out the lone warrior feel of the game, and you might as well be making something else.

Speevy

Banned
It's almost guaranteed that Gamespot will rate Prime 2 higher than they did Halo 2, then the universe wil explode.

Kon Tiki

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
how can it get as high as an 8.5 when the controls are so horrible?

To quote EGM: "and the controls are solid enough, once you adjust, that you usually have only yourself to blame for failure"

I think EGM just called you weak dude.

ge-man

ElyrionX said:
See? No dual analog kills the game. Sorry fanboys........

-1 sales

This is an opinion, just like every other review. I doubt that I will be fighting the controls myself.

Screenboy

Speevy said:
It's almost guaranteed that Gamespot will rate Prime 2 higher than they did Halo 2, then the universe wil explode.

Haha that will be bigger than 4 Resident Evil on PS2.

:lol

-SB

ge-man said:
This is an opinion, just like every other review. I doubt that I will be fighting the controls myself.

Sing it brother. Anyone who doesn't like these controls is a moron. There, I said it. FPS are meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard. If you're gonna make a console 1st person game, give it controls that work... like MP. I don't wanna have the aiming circle jumping all over the screen because I have to use crap ass sticks to aim it. MP eliminates this console defficiancy and lets you focus on the game.

SantaC

Metroid Prime 2 will score quite high from Gamespot because they know how to review a game that should have backtracking. 1up complains that metroid has backtracking :lol

Screenboy

Society said:
To quote EGM: "and the controls are solid enough, once you adjust, that you usually have only yourself to blame for failure"

I think EGM just called you weak dude.

Wasn't that reason one of the good things about Ninja Gaiden in their review?

They are Fanbots!1

OMFG!1

-SB

Fowler

Thought it was a well-written review. Can't say whether I agree or disagree until I play it for myself.

AHEM.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
That review has a bad wording/mistake in the first sentence. Score aside - are they stupid or can't they count?

Kon Tiki

Banned
Mr Mike said:
That review has a bad wording/mistake in the first sentence. Score aside - are they stupid or can't they count?
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes is the second Metroid game to hit a console in as many years.

2 Metroid in 2 years. 2002-2004 is 2 years. :/

SantaC

snapty00 said:
For full-power damage control: http://boards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=71815539

:lol

OMG I HAVE ADD. OH SHIT LOOK A BUTTERFLY. OH WAIT YEAH I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE WRITING THIS REVIEW FOR METROID PRIME 2. 8.5

oh please. Should we maybe add a quote from the xbox boards everytime halo2 get's less than 10/10 review?

OH NO GAMESPOT HATES XBOX, WHAT; THAT REVIEW IS WRONG LETS TAKE IT DOWN FROM GAMERANKINGS!

Kon Tiki

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
oh please. Should we maybe add a quote from the xbox boards everything halo2 get's less than 10/10 review?

OH NO GAMESPOT HATES XBOX, WHAT; THAT REVIEW IS WRONG LETS TAKE IT DOWN FROM GAMERANKINGS!

Why goto XboxIGN? snapty00 brings his stupid here.

snapty00

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
oh please. Should we maybe add a quote from the xbox boards everything halo2 get's less than 10/10 review?

What does Halo 2 have to do with this at all?

I think it's hilarious. :lol

Grubdog

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
oh please. Should we maybe add a quote from the xbox boards everytime halo2 get's less than 10/10 review?

Don't mind him, he's just doing his job. :)

Top Bottom