• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Blast Ball |OT| Ridley is too big to fit in the BlastBall arena

TheMoon

amiibo-wise, Mario, Luigi, Rosalina, Bowser, Bowser Jr, Samus, Zero Suit Samus are all compatible so far. I presume Peach is as well but I don't own one to test.

I thought it was all Mario-related amiibo since those are the two series (Mario Sports/Metroid) that Next Level worked on but Donkey and Diddy and Wario don't work. Random Smash, Splatoon, or Chibi-Robo! don't get you anything.

"Rocket League with guns" is a tantalizing proposal, but this game murdered Samus

Not this one, the other one. This is the fun one people are allowed to like.

Some of the textures and camera angles are really low res, can someone with a new 3DS tell me if it looks better then a N64 game texture wise

I can't directly compare it to the regular 3DS version but it definitely looks better than N64 textures imho. And the paint jobs I've unlocked also look better than they did in the trailers, not nearly as pixelated. That's not to say that this game looks great and I'm not a fan of the character designs at all but it's perfectly serviceable on the new 3DS. But for all I know there might not actually be any differences between versions.

Shiggy

So... Any reason why Europe gets the full game but the Americas only get a demo?

NoE probably has given up all hope for the game. So they want users to be able to try more and entice them to buy the full game.

The title should be pretty cheap by Christmas.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
That's just her corpse, propped up Weekend at Bernie's-style

I mean, do I really need to explain why Federation Force is disappointing and borderline offensive to Metroid fans?

I'm a huge Metroid fan, I need you to explain why this game is borderline offensive to me, apparently.

Game's fun.

So... Any reason why Europe gets the full game but the Americas only get a demo?

NoE probably has given up all hope for the game. So they want users to be able to try more and entice them to buy the full game.

The title should be pretty cheap by Christmas.

Contrary to what the eShop says, the title seems to be the same in both regions.

Boney

Banned
I mean, do I really need to explain why Federation Force is disappointing and borderline offensive to Metroid fans?
Please do. I want you to repeat the tired bullshit that because they're using the ip - and more importantly the core game systems of the prime series - is some sort of declaration of war. Because I'm sure everybody would be head over heels about a "mainline" Metroid Prime on 3DS being made by NLG where the same fucking Donkey Kong crowd would come out and complain it's not a Wii U by Retro.

Regiruler

I find it fascinating that they kept the core gameplay but altered the presentation of the tone and setting. It's a reversed relationship of a typical spinoff.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Are we sure that there is actually a difference between versions? What's missing in the American demo?
PAL version contains:
Blast Ball - single and multi; unlockables (skins); amiibo (skins).
FF tutorial ('mech license test') - a few in-engine cut-scenes.

Somebody from across the pond can chime in about theirs.

I'll have to try it later, but sad that its limited to September in NA. :(

It being free to play would've meant actual people to play against, but while I want to play Blast Ball online I know the servers will be dead within a month so not worth the price of a retail game.

I'll enjoy it for the next month atleast!

I really don't see why Federation Force is a problem. And no I will not listen to your reasons why it is.
I think the harsh overreaction is totally unfair and not needed at all.

Also I think the difference between Blast Ball in US and EU is that they're not disabling the online in Europe. I looked for it but I cannot seem to find any details about that.

PAL version contains:

I don't see any kind of FF stuff in my demo. (NA)

Everything else is there though, amiibo support, unlockables, etc.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
PAL version contains:

NA version contains:
Blast Ball - single and multi (online gives error); unlockables (skins); amiibo (skins).
Small Blast Ball tutorial (no license test) - no cutscenes.

blu

I don't see any kind of FF stuff in my demo. (NA)

Everything else is there though, amiibo support, unlockables, etc.

NA version contains:
Blast Ball - single and multi (online gives error); unlockables (skins); amiibo (skins).
What happens when you pass the tutorial - in PAL you get a 'mech school' graduation ceremony cut-scene.

Neiteio

Please do. I want you to repeat the tired bullshit that because they're using the ip - and more importantly the core game systems of the prime series - is some sort of declaration of war. Because I'm sure everybody would be head over heels about a "mainline" Metroid Prime on 3DS being made by NLG where the same fucking Donkey Kong crowd would come out and complain it's not a Wii U by Retro.
Outside of the HUD and gunplay, what design elements are here to justify the Metroid title? Everything else is gone: The clockwork level design (no longer here); the traversal mechanics (no morph ball, no screw attack, no wall jump, no grappling); the isolation (replaced by online teamwork, yay); the atmosphere and tone (sci-fi realism reduced to super-deformed and cartoony chibi style, of all things). It's Metroid in name only.

And when there hasn't been a mainline Metroid title (or Metroid title of any sort) since Other M six years ago, that's kind of offensive. I don't think they intended to upset people, but when your fans have been clamoring for more Metroid all these years, and this... thing is what you give them, it's disappointing.

Especially since NLG is so talented and could be working on better things. It's especially baffling when they have godly animation skills and are assigned to a game full of faceless soldiers and reactor core bosses. Not only are we deprived of a proper Metroid title, but NLG is preoccupied from making a new Strikers or Punch-Out or Luigi's Mansion or... anything. Anything other than this.

Intel_89

Outside of the HUD and gunplay, what design elements are here to justify the Metroid title? Everything else is gone: The clockwork level design (no longer here); the traversal mechanics (no morph ball, no screw attack, no wall jump, no grappling); the isolation (replaced by online teamwork, yay); the atmosphere and tone (sci-fi realism reduced to super-deformed and cartoony chibi style, of all things). It's Metroid in name only.

And when there hasn't been a mainline Metroid title (or Metroid title of any sort) since Other M six years ago, that's kind of offensive. I don't think they intended to upset people, but when your fans have been clamoring for more Metroid all these years, and this... thing is what you give them, it's disappointing.

Especially since NLG is so talented and could be working on better things. It's especially baffling when they have godly animation skills and are assigned to a game with faceless soldiers and reactor core bosses.

They're not pushing Fed Force as a main series game though.

blu

It just boots you into Blast Ball.
Wait, are you referring to the BB training? That's in PAL too, but we also have a dedicated FF tutorial. I think it unlocks once you win your first BB match. It's in the main menu, bottom left.

ed: Damn, I can't read today. You did say 'Blast Ball tutorial'. So there's no FF tutorial in the NTSC game at all?

Neiteio

They're not pushing Fed Force as a main series game though.
Of course not. But it's the first Metroid-branded game in six years. And the last game, in 2010, wasn't exactly a high note. It's so tone-deaf to bring the series back with space soccer and squad missions. Not to mention that if this is meant to explore the mythos in some meaningful way, the chibi style already makes it feel non-canon. On all fronts, it seems miscalculated.

We're caught in this weird place where we don't want to signal to Nintendo that we support this use of the Metroid brand, but at the same time Nintendo is crazy enough that poor sales of FF might be intrepretted as, "Oh, I guess no one wants a Metroid game anymore."

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Especially since NLG is so talented and could be working on better things. It's especially baffling when they have godly animation skills and are assigned to a game with faceless soldiers and reactor core bosses.

The Metroid title comes from being set in the same universe as the other Metroid titles. This seems to be more a sequel to Metroid Prime 3 than anything. Remember that part in MP3:C where you fight alongside the Federation Marines? This is expanding on the idea of the Federation Marines as separate entities in the Metroid universe.

Also, I don't find it offensive that there hasn't been a Metroid game since Other M. I found Other M offensive, tho. This, not so much.

And NLG are super talented, and it's a shame that you can't bring yourself to enjoy a game made by such talented developers because you felt offended by it.

Wait, are you referring to the BB training? That's in PAL too, but we also have a dedicated FF tutorial. I think it unlocks once you win your first BB match. It's in the main menu, bottom left.

ed: Damn, I can't read today. You did say 'Blast Ball tutorial'. So there's no FF tutorial in the NTSC game at all?

Not as far as I can tell? Mighty have to check again...

Especially since NLG is so talented and could be working on better things. It's especially baffling when they have godly animation skills and are assigned to a game full of faceless soldiers and reactor core bosses. Not only are we deprived of a proper Metroid title, but NLG is preoccupied from making a new Strikers or Punch-Out or Luigi's Mansion or... anything. Anything other than this.

But it's a spinoff. That's literally obvious. It's like we complain that Paper Mario isn't a Mario game because it doesn't have the usual art style and gameplay.
It's not a mainline Metroid game, it isn't advertised as such. But you know how many fans are waiting for the next F-Zero?

The funny part is how we expect Nintendo to try different things, and yet we complain that they destroyed an IP because they wanted to try new things. So, honestly, stop complaining if it's just that. They're not making Metroid all kawaii.

blu

Of course not. But it's the first Metroid-branded game in six years. And the last game, in 2010, wasn't exactly a high note. It's so tone-deaf to bring the series back with space soccer and squad missions. Not to mention that if this is meant to explore the mythos in some meaningful way, the chibi style already makes it feel non-canon. On all fronts, it seems miscalculated.

We're caught in this weird place where we don't want to signal to Nintendo that we support this use of the Metroid brand, but at the same time Nintendo is crazy enough that poor sales of FF might be intrepretted as, "Oh, I guess no one wants a Metroid game anymore."
Neiteio, stop hating, man. Game deserves to live. At least some of us will be buying it as soon as it launches.

TheMoon

paint job rewards
  • Win your first match = camouflage
  • Score within 5 seconds = shark
  • Score 3 goals in one match = lightning
  • Ran 10km = flower

Please don't. So tired of it.

Neiteio

The Metroid title comes from being set in the same universe as the other Metroid titles. This seems to be more a sequel to Metroid Prime 3 than anything. Remember that part in MP3:C where you fight alongside the Federation Marines? This is expanding on the idea of the Federation Marines as separate entities in the Metroid universe.

Also, I don't find it offensive that there hasn't been a Metroid game since Other M. I found Other M offensive, tho. This, not so much.

And NLG are super talented, and it's a shame that you can't bring yourself to enjoy a game made by such talented developers because you felt offended by it.
I'm sure it's a good game, for what it is. But you could probably also make a Mario game that's mechanically sound but has a gritty M-rated aesthetic and adult subject matter. Would a stylistic departure like that feel right to you as a Mario fan? Same situation here, just in the other direction.

This isn't like Zelda's boyhood adventure where it feels right with any number of styles. As soon as FF adopted this Bionicle-esque style, it lost a lot the series' visual identity. If they had at least stuck to the style established in the Prime Trilogy, it'd be at least somewhat palatable.

Shiggy

What happens when you pass the tutorial - in PAL you get a 'mech school' graduation ceremony cut-scene.

Huh? When I beat the tutorial, I was only asked if I wanted to continue training. Is that not just more of the training matches?

As someone that has never cared for the Metroid franchise... this game looked kinda crap ever since it was first shown off.

TheMoon

NA version contains:

PAL start screen (bottom)

WVW69ja-NXcAgaSWdZ

"Training" is the FedForce training that unlocks after you play a few matches.

blu

Huh? When I beat the tutorial, I was only asked if I wanted to continue training. Is that not just more of the training matches?
Turns out in PAL we get a separate FF tutorial - it's in the main menu, and unlocks after your fist BB victory (or at least it did for me, IIRC).

Shiggy

Turns out in PAL we get a separate FF tutorial - it's in the main menu, and unlocks after your fist BB victory (or at least it did for me, IIRC).

My first BB victory (online) only gave me skin options, perhaps scoring one goal was not enough.

blu

It takes a few. I had to play a few solo challenges before it opened that up. Maybe it's based on total playtime.
I haven't played online yet - just single player with bots (3x3).

blu

BTW, I'm loving the stereoscopic effect and the animations, but the gyro aiming is forcing me to turn off the stereoscopy (3ds OG).

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Oh, it just unlocked for me, can confirm NA version has the Federation Force training. Got it after beating the Challenge.

I also got a Ridley paint job for "running 10 km".

I can see this game become a massive hit at our local gaming parties. The 3v3 game mode is perfect and it really has that Rocket League feel, even if slower.

So far I loved what I played, tried a few amiibos and unlocked a few skins and played the single player test, which confirms what I suspected: It's the GC Metroid Prime Controls in a 4 player coop setting. Basically exactly what I want. I don't give a shit what people say. I like what I played so far.

blu

Oh, it just unlocked for me, can confirm NA version has the Federation Force training. Got it after beating the Challenge.

I also got a Ridley paint job for "running 10 km".
Ah, glad NTSC didn't get shafted there - the FF tutorial gives a good idea of the fighting mechanics.

Hale-XF11

Federation Force should based on an older japanese trailer. If it doesn't here that's a really stupid oversight.

Ok, CPP works fine.

First impressions: Very beautiful graphics. Nice animations and presentation. It's just not...fun. It feels as slow and clunky as I expected. It's not hooking me right from the get go. Might try some online games to see if it gets any better. I just wish it were faster paced and the ball wasn't always on the ground. Imagine if the mechs had rocket boosters to help you fly around like in Rocket League. They should have done that with this game!

javadoze

This Blast Ball game (demo?) is pretty fun.

So did they actually take the entire Blast Ball section of Federation Force and make it free? If so, that's a pretty bold move (and it actually might've worked on me).

Shiggy

Ok, CPP works fine.

First impressions: Very beautiful graphics. Nice animations and presentation. It's just not...fun. It feels as slow and clunky as I expected. It's not hooking me right from the get go. Might try some online games to see if it gets any better. I just wish it were faster paced and the ball wasn't always on the ground. Imagine if the mechs had rocket boosters to help you fly around like in Rocket League. They should have done that with this game!

Online battles are ok (compared to the bot fights).

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I scored my team's only goal in a 3-1 loss. 'Dat goals per game average. This is a lot of fun but..... the N3DS/XL c-stick is horrible. Good thing for gyro aiming.

Hale-XF11

Also, the ball has barely any momentum at all, making the action feel too sluggish. Arenas should be bigger and the whole game should move faster.

Top Bottom