• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Blast Ball |OT| Ridley is too big to fit in the BlastBall arena

Parham

Banned
Can you play public online matches with friends? Don't have my 3DS on hand at the moment to try it out, but I'd like to with a couple of buddies tonight.

Hale-XF11

According to others, the ball's speed is dependent on where you stand and your charge level when you fire at it.

I don't think it helps that I play a ton of Rocket League, so I'm used to faster paced game play and given the similar nature of this game, I can't help but compare the two experiences. Still, the ball feels like it's stuck to the ground even with a good charged shot.

Online battles are ok (compared to the bot fights).

I'll give that a try.

psyfi

Banned
Has anyone tried out the second control setting? I'm gonna give it a go.

Also, just switched my voice messages to Japanese and am cracking up. PIIIIIIINCHU.

Sterok

Why is the best comparison to the newest Metroid game Rocket League? It plays okay at least. Blast Ball was mildly entertaining, but it's not selling me on the game. Online performance was fine. The training part did make it feel like a proper Metroid Prime on the 3DS would have worked, but alas. Better than I expected, but the singleplayer (and I do mean single) needs to review well if I'm going to consider picking this up.

TI82

Banned
Why is the best comparison to the newest Metroid game Rocket League? It plays okay at least. Blast Ball was mildly entertaining, but it's not selling me on the game. Online performance was fine. The training part did make it feel like a proper Metroid Prime on the 3DS would have worked, but alas. Better than I expected, but the singleplayer (and I do mean single) needs to review well if I'm going to consider picking this up.

Because Nintendo sadly doesn't want to give us actual Metroid games. So instead they want to ape other successful games with the IP.

TheMoon

Oh, it just unlocked for me, can confirm NA version has the Federation Force training. Got it after beating the Challenge.

I also got a Ridley paint job for "running 10 km".

Ridley? I got a flower design for the same feat. So are the design unlocks randomized?!

psyfi

Banned
The N3DS specialized controls are okay. The c-nub isn't ideal, but being able to have kinda sorta normal dual analog controls is nice.

Boney

Banned
Outside of the HUD and gunplay, what design elements are here to justify the Metroid title? Everything else is gone: The clockwork level design (no longer here); the traversal mechanics (no morph ball, no screw attack, no wall jump, no grappling); the isolation (replaced by online teamwork, yay); the atmosphere and tone (sci-fi realism reduced to super-deformed and cartoony chibi style, of all things). It's Metroid in name only.
Bingo, I spelled it out but you got it , here's a cookie. Anybody that has ever read about the usual design process of Nintendo is start with a mechanic and apply a franchise if applicable. The cooperative shooter pitch was a perfect match for the simple approachable unorthodox prime style control scheme, and was also easy to create it around the idea of random space marines with happy nods to the series from a creature design and how some power ups are envisioned.

And of fucking course it's not designed as a mainline single player Metroid game just like Triforce Heroes wasn't. It's not trying to hide the fact that it isn't and it shouldn't matter if it does or doesn't. the end result, and in this case blast ball, is going to be reviewed and judged, not what ifs or hypothetical scenarios. And by accounts here it's surprisingly enjoyable.

Nintendo works with teams centered around specific ip's for the most part. On one hand, one team is having introspective about how to approach the franchise, by appealing to the different types of fans it has (people love to tout the let me get lost but a week ago most of gaf was shitting on the original because it's too obtuse and hard) while also trying to expand interest in the series. The other team has had a lot of the staff leave after Prime 1 and 3 and has been in charge of Donkey Kong, a much bigger franchise since 2007 to 2013.

So in the wonderful world of Metroid games that grow on trees that gaf believes in, we could have a Metroid game being done every year because anybody can do it! Even mediocre studios like Wayforward gets tossed around because they do nice sprites. The fact of the matter is that the talent and studios responsible for Metroid following Nintendo's administrative management has been rotating other projects for 2 development cycles. And Nintendo isn't going door to door asking no name studios to make a Metroid game for them.

"So why even use the Metroid franchise in a spin off if they think the series doesn't even sell". Because the name alone still allows for mild attention instead of Project STEAM fiascos. Just by using the ip you can cut your marketing budget by a landslide and have it return a decent profit with modest sales. But a subset of the Metroid community is so irascible, that frankly comes out as worse than the worst Reddit community at time, that have made it their mission to see this project fail instead of simply just not caring for it.

And when there hasn't been a mainline Metroid title (or Metroid title of any sort) since Other M six years ago, that's kind of offensive. I don't think they intended to upset people, but when your fans have been clamoring for more Metroid all these years, and this... thing is what you give them, it's disappointing.

Edit: so people don't nitpick about Mario Sunshine being announced replace it with Donkey Kong in whatever time frame since 1983 they chose to put it at

There were six years between Mario 64 and Sunshine were people out of their minds when Mario golf was announced? So what if this spin off exists without it being a satellite to a mainline game. It literally makes no difference other than it allows to create a narrative to throw hissy fits like yours about how they're going out of their way to offend the fans. Grow up for fucks sake.

Especially since NLG is so talented and could be working on better things. It's especially baffling when they have godly animation skills and are assigned to a game full of faceless soldiers and reactor core bosses. Not only are we deprived of a proper Metroid title, but NLG is preoccupied from making a new Strikers or Punch-Out or Luigi's Mansion or... anything. Anything other than this.
I have no interest in this game. Tanabe thought adding a multiplayer shooter to the 3ds catalogue was a smart move, which I disagree but whatever. They chose one of it's better partners to help make this and by what I have heard it came out as being pretty good for what it is supposed to be. So why would I be upset if a good studio makes a good game in a genre I don't care about? The hypothetical that they could be working on whatever fantasy game you masturbate every night is such a pointless exercise that it's purposely moronic and non sensical. Don't care for it? Move on. I'm partly drawn into this game's discussion because I'm appalled at how childishly vindictive people are and how destructive and reductive they are by making everything as a personal insult to their sensibilities. Demanding quality is not being entitled, demanding to be exclusively catered to is being a demanding bitch.

I don't particularly care about the mainline Prime games despite beating them and identifying the quality of the games, yet I'm not going to complain about something I have nothing to complain about. The only travesty surrounding Federetion Force are the so called Metroid fans.

Victory animations are funny. One of the mechs had exploded when we won, and the other two mechs high-fived, then turned to face the third one. When they realised he was missing, they just looked around like "WTF?!"

TheMoon

Has anyone tried out the second control setting? I'm gonna give it a go.

Also, just switched my voice messages to Japanese and am cracking up. PIIIIIIINCHU.

I found I prefer having the option of gyro assist over ZL/ZR/C-Stick.

Because Nintendo sadly doesn't want to give us actual Metroid games. So instead they want to ape other successful games with the IP.

BB/FF were in production long before rocket league came out. For what it's worth.

Seriously, TI82, if you want to shit on every Nintendo game, at least inform yourself.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Maybe so, but the timing is pretty impeccable. I was more thinking of games like Grifball from Halo though since it's an FPS.
Nintendo did not invent ball games, we get it.

TI82

Banned
Nintendo did not invent ball games, we get it.

It's fine, they wanted to do something new that they haven't done before. Should have used a new IP or at least one that hasn't had a new game in 6 years and even that last one was very... bad.

Losing connection to the other players when we were 2-1 up only to tie the game with 5 AI bots and me, I lose 37 MMR rank.

completely fair, not.

Okay I might be having too much fun with this. I made 2 people quit because I kept taking them out of the game with charge shots. They don't even turn around, it's so easy to pick people off so that my team can line up shots with little worry of interruption. :x

I wish there was a way to play with friends.

TheMoon

It's fine, they wanted to do something new that they haven't done before. Should have used a new IP or at least one that hasn't had a new game in 6 years and even that last one was very... bad.

Or just use one where it wonderfully fits in the universe. Man I fucking get it that people (me included) want their traditional singleplayer Metroid exploration adventure but god damn, get some perspective and realize that this is how Nintendo works. Game series never consist of just one game repeated over and over despite what the internet loves to claim. This is how you end up here.

Pop a chill pill and ignore this game if this isn't what you want and keep waiting for the proper one. Meanwhile, let those who are open minded and willing to go on the exploratory ride enjoy themselves.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

This always bothers me "Make it another IP!" even though mechanically and aesthetically the game fits the Metroid Prime franchise as a separate application of those concepts. This is unlike Splatoon the mechanics of which are super different compared to anything else they have and wouldn't fit. Chances are they wouldn't even have arrived at this game's mechanics if it weren't a Metroid Prime title. This game is a Metroid game or nothing at all.

why did you all get Ridley and I get a flower for the same thing? lol
Might be NTSC/PAL differences? I got flower for Blocking 5 times in a match.

cyba89

There were six years between Mario 64 and Sunshine were people out of their minds when Mario golf was announced?

A new mainline Metroid is not even announced yet so it will be at least 8 years between Other M and a new Metroid. Also Mario 64 is highly regarded while Other M got a very mixed reaction. So the last Metroid game a lot of people actually cared about was 9 years ago.
Mario is also Nintendos #1 mascot so people did not really have to wonder if he will ever get another high-budget mainline title in the foreseeable future.

Personally I just ignore this game but the negative fan-reactions should not surprise anyone at Nintendo.

All the skins are rather basic and boring right now apart from the score in 5 seconds one, which is a Kraid skin, best looking so far that I have seen.

A shame you can only customize the head colour if you do not use a skin at all, it's really limited.

ALSO before a match starts you can climb into someone elses mech on your team and use their suit for the entire match.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
All the skins are rather basic and boring right now apart from the score in 5 seconds one, which is a Kraid skin, best looking so far that I have seen.

A shame you can only customize the head colour if you do not use a skin at all, it's really limited.

ALSO before a match starts you can climb into someone elses mech on your team and use their suit for the entire match.

I'm guessing that's so your team can choose spots (left, mid, right).

Boney

Banned
A new mainline Metroid is not even announced yet so it will be at least 8 years between Other M and a new Metroid. Also Mario 64 is highly regarded while Other M got a very mixed reaction. So the last Metroid game a lot of people actually cared about was 9 years ago.
Mario is also Nintendos #1 mascot so people did not really have to wonder if he will ever get another high-budget mainline title in the foreseeable future.

Personally I just ignore this game but the negative fan-reactions should not surprise anyone at Nintendo.
Ok whatever change it to donkey kong. The point is that it doesn't matter if there is or isn't a mainline game.

When blast ball was first shown off it was just that, blast ball, they really didn't need to tie it to metroid in any way at all.

blu

It's fine the way it is. Actually game is a blast.

/losing the challenge in the 5th match sucks though

blu

Here's what, since the majority of complaints poured in this |OT| have nothing to do with the game per se, but are on a meta level, why don't somebody create a 'FF - why this game shouldn't have existed, in my opinion', so everybody who has practically nothing to say about the actual game can go there and vent their heart out. You know, instead of thrashing the |OT|?

ed: ok, I have the Kraid and Heart paintjobs, how do I get the Flower?
ed2: ooh, there's Ridley too?

Putosaure

Why on Earth is my character name only made of question marks ? It's supposed to use our console nickname or NNID right ?

EDIT : OK my Mii nickname is considered offensive. (same as my GAF username). It's the first time they block it online.

Zebei

This game is actually super fun.

Love it. A shame there probably wont be a community to play this with after a month or two because I could see myself playing this for a while. :/

Shiggy

Game seems quite ok. Battle Blast is fun online, and the training mode doesn't seem too different from the remaining Metroid Prime games.

I really don't like the controls though (but I also disliked the non-Wii Remote controls for the original Metroid Prime game).

maxcriden

When blast ball was first shown off it was just that, blast ball, they really didn't need to tie it to metroid in any way at all.

Well, at that point they didn't realize the backlash they'd be getting. I think they did it that way to get people wondering and build hype. It was only two days later that they revealed Federation Force.

TheMoon

The rank test shooting gallery is driving me nuts.

Top spot is 20000. I got 19984. -.-

Except it existed as Metroid Prime: Blast Ball already, they were just pulling our leg and revealed the Metroid connection the next day. This wasn't some "let's tie it to Metroid just for the lulz" move.

You move the ball by shooting it with energy cannons, charge shots. If this weren't a Metroid game, people would go "why didn't they retrofit this into a Metroid spin-off, some kind of side game or bonus mode, now nobody will care and this cool game will die, Nintendo y u so stupahd."

Shiggy

I'm wondering about two things now:
1. Will progress very over to the full game?
2. Will online be disabled for this software or is that only for the US version?

TheMoon

Has anybody unlocked the Credits option yet?! I completed the Training but it's still not accessible.

Are you insinuating that Other M is a good game? Please don't. And yeah Prime Trilogy is good, but it's not new games.

Please just leave this thread. You're not playing this game anyway.

Top Bottom