• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Patcher: SW Outlaws tanking is a "rare incel victory"

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
If you don’t… you are an ignorant moron.
Argue Amazon Prime GIF by primevideoin

Last edited:

MonkD

How is the season pass anything like what Fortnite is doing? The only thing locked behind the battlepass in Fortnite is cosmetics, and the price per season is 8$. Can't take any of it seriously when he is getting the most basic things wrong

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
By the way, for those who don't know, Patcher has a solid record of mostly being wrong and very rarely, but mostly coincidentally, being right.
In this case, what do you say?

Is PAC objectively right, or is he trying to push an agenda?

Last edited:

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Well then keep on making games for the "professional critics", instead of the players, such smart.

Last edited:

Felessan

Men and women are wired different and have different interests.

There were charts years ago showing what % of men/women play different genres.

Some genres like sports, shooters and fighting games were like 3% women. I dont think any even hit 5%. But then puzzle games were like 70%.
This is actually a "diversity" issue that companies should chase instead of what they do now. These genres are popular with men and not women because majority of games designed to cater for men preferences and not women.

This DEI stuff in games is just half-assed efforts of checking Sweet Baby boxes that have nothing to do with actual solving the problem - like making girls ugly for sure will not increase popularity in wide female market, girls like cute even more then men.

There are two examples that shows that simply sticking to genre etc as explanation is not that simple.
Genshin has roughly 50/50 split men to women, it's a meme that it's a game for males in 20s and 14yo girls.
Granblue Fantasy is an old-school mmo-like jrpgs that has super-grindy progression and insane events (competitive grind 16 hours/day for 5 days straight every 2-3 month). It's player base is 2:1 split in favor of women.
Because besides thing associated with mens (grind, competition, achievement seeking) there are a lot of cute chars, both male and female, with lots of stories (often love stories) about their interaction with others, the world and MC (the stuff women likes)
And actually having both in game does not hamper other side but bring real diversity and increase target audience. Guys will go hardcore, girls will go more casual but both still will have their fun.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Just as the mainstream media and establishment parties across Europe disparage regular people raising their voices against insane immigration policies as "far-right thugs," so too are AAA publishers in the West and the so-called journalists and analysts who carry water for them casting the blame for recent high-profile failures at the specter of "incels" and "Gamergaters." They hope by trotting out these tired labels to gain sympathy, as if they represent the interests of the masses in combat against a small but vocal sect of extremists. It is clear as day, though, that slowly yet surely the pendulum is starting to swing the other way, back towards common sense and normalcy.

BlackTron

This is actually a "diversity" issue that companies should chase instead of what they do now. These genres are popular with men and not women because majority of games designed to cater for men preferences and not women.

This DEI stuff in games is just half-assed efforts of checking Sweet Baby boxes that have nothing to do with actual solving the problem - like making girls ugly for sure will not increase popularity in wide female market, girls like cute even more then men.

There are two examples that shows that simply sticking to genre etc as explanation is not that simple.
Genshin has roughly 50/50 split men to women, it's a meme that it's a game for males in 20s and 14yo girls.
Granblue Fantasy is an old-school mmo-like jrpgs that has super-grindy progression and insane events (competitive grind 16 hours/day for 5 days straight every 2-3 month). It's player base is 2:1 split in favor of women.
Because besides thing associated with mens (grind, competition, achievement seeking) there are a lot of cute chars, both male and female, with lots of stories (often love stories) about their interaction with others, the world and MC (the stuff women likes)
And actually having both in game does not hamper other side but bring real diversity and increase target audience. Guys will go hardcore, girls will go more casual but both still will have their fun.

This cross-section of what makes games appeal to both men and women takes me back to PS2. The industry just nailed it.

NickFire

You are not forced do anything in Dragon Age and its being called woke, you can change how your character looks in Andromeda and that was called woke literally based on just the default shown in the trailers, Ghost Of Yotei is being called woke, not even for anything in the game, merely based on a damn person voice acting the game.

Sir, you can argue the fucking shit in BG3 is the same thing man, we have folks who made a big deal out of that making it sound like characters hitting on them was a "message"

If you feel something is forced, that is your opinion, but others clearly made that claim about a lot of games, like they are even doing with the new Ghost title. No one fucking forced anyone to look up who that was and start going thru their tweets bud, what I see people calling "woke" seems to many times even have nothing to do with the game, but the people who work on the game too lol

Oh, Dragon Age Veilguard has nothing FORCED in it, you can creator your character and its an option.

So not "woke" everyone, glad we got that out of the way.

Go in the Dragon Age threads btw and let them know its not "woke" now, you solved this whole thing =) lol

On your way there, go to the Ghost Of Yotei threads too, let them know its not "woke", cause you can change the settings for voices, she is just an actor etc and you solved this whole thing lol

Good luck with that Raven.
I think you are dismissing what he’s saying because you assume that being tired of certain themes means the tired person just hates people who are different than them. That is incorrect.

I like driving above the speed limit. I can still be anti-reckless driving and anti-driving at 90 miles an hour though. Two things can be true.

BlackTron

One thing that I miss from PS2 era is a game structure "main route is normal difficulty, optional bosses are hard difficulty"
Now it's either the whole game "too easy" or "too hard" with some bickering from both sides what should be "normal"

There were also a lot of games with universal appeal that girls could enjoy with the guys like the stories, relationships, lots of RPG, and horror elements. Along with the DVD functionality it felt like PS2 had a big breakthrough here. DVD got it in homes and helped raise exposure to these ingredients.

I just wasn't gonna pay what they were asking..

I'm interested in the game, but not at the price on offer. I'll wait for a decent sale around Christmas on Steam. If that doesn't t happen, I'll wait until it does.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
It’s all opinion man. Absolutely none of this is fact

Yea thats kinda my point, anyone can call any thing "woke" for the dumbest reasons.

Why you'd be shocked someone calls BG3 "woke" is beyond me, it has the same things that are having people call Dragon Age "woke" and I'm not even sure why you thought something being optional to this crowd suddenly means they won't call a game "woke" and attack it, the shit in Dragon Age right now is optional and that isn't stopping anyone from calling it woke...

So it sounds like you are trying to force that term to mean something else to protect some game, my comment is merely illustrating those calling Dragon Age or Ghost Of Yotei woke, had no issue calling BG3 "woke" either.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/bald...e-consequences.1659051/page-42#post-268300554

So I'm not saying this is you btw, merely that the people generally using this term who perceive something is shoved in a game for some message, make such comments even about optional things, they are saying this about Dragon Age, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, said this about Andromeda, why the fuck did you think BG3 would be different when this claim doesn't even need evidence to them? It doesn't matter to them its an option, being an option is enough for them to say its woke, shoving down their throat etc.

So i'm not saying this is you, I'm merely pointing out BG3 was called woke for the same reasons lots of games are called that and the odd thing of try to shield it or separate it while attacking other games is some wild delusion. Its like you are trying to argue a correlation, but are trying to find a way for BG3 to be seen differently or to omit or exclude it cause it goes against some shit you claimed lol

Get over it man. Maybe those other games failed cause they are just bad games.

Not that serious.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yea thats kinda my point, anyone can call any thing "woke" for the dumbest reasons.

So i'm not saying this is you, I'm merely pointing out BG3 was called woke for the same reasons lots of games are called that and the odd thing of try to shield it or separate it while attacking other games is some wild delusion. Its like you are trying to argue a correlation, but are trying to find a way for BG3 to be seen differently or to omit or exclude it cause it goes against some shit you claimed lol

Not that serious.

THIS!

Raven117

Why you'd be shocked someone calls BG3 "woke" is beyond me, it has the same things that are having people call Dragon Age "woke" and I'm not even sure why you thought something being optional to this crowd suddenly means they won't call a game "woke" and attack it, the shit in Dragon Age right now is optional and that isn't stopping anyone from calling it woke...

So it sounds like you are trying to force that term to mean something else to protect some game, my comment is merely illustrating those calling Dragon Age or Ghost Of Yotei woke, had no issue calling BG3 "woke" either.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/bald...e-consequences.1659051/page-42#post-268300554

So I'm not saying this is you btw, merely that the people generally using this term who perceive something is shoved in a game for some message, make such comments even about optional things, they are saying this about Dragon Age, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, said this about Andromeda, why the fuck did you think BG3 would be different when this claim doesn't even need evidence to them? It doesn't matter to them its an option, being an option is enough for them to say its woke, shoving down their throat etc.

Not that serious.
The only person who can't get over this is you. I hadn't even seen that BG3 is considered "woke." I can see why I suppose. They are also idiots.

Why the fuck would I "protect" some game? You projecting?

I take back what I said. You may be a moron. (Especially since Im one of the few people here that actually agree generally that woke is NOT what tanks a game or not).

The only person who can't get over this is you. I hadn't even seen that BG3 is considered "woke." I can see why I suppose. They are also idiots.

I take back what I said. You may be a moron. (Especially since Im one of the few people here that actually agree generally that woke is NOT what tanks a game or not).
You're talking to someone who has loudly proclaimed that he doesn't care about wokeness... more than once. And yet, he has spectacularly failed (in the terminally online sense) at practicing what he has preached.

One more thing id like to add is that while he calls this a rare incel victory, we are going to see the same type of sales for Assassin’s Creed. He’s barking up the wrong tree and the list of games that people don’t want pander to the wrong audience if you’re trying to make high sales. Black Myth: Wukong sold 10 million copies and the reviews complained about lack of inclusivity, which clearly didn’t matter to gamers, only the gaming media.

Woke list of Bullshit games that failed and will fail.
Bleeding Edge
Suicide Squad
Concord
Dustborn
Star Wars Outlaws
Assassin’s Creed Shadows

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s actually good outlaws failed.

It means UBI “should” smarten up and make better games. In the meantime gamers avoiding it might use their gaming dollars and support better games.

People spending their hard earned money on mediocre products stagnates a company’s will to innovate. UBI has had so many clunkers lately if a stock price down 90% and recent skulls and bones, outlaws and AC debacles doesn’t change them nothing will.

How many kicks in the ass does a company need to change the direction of their sails? Wow.

Last edited:

MacReady13

It's an Ubisoft game, meaning it will be full of bugs and an unfinished product at launch. I am waiting for the massive price drop and then I will purchase. Has NOTHING to do with a female lead in the game. Makes no difference to me whatsoever.

Bernardougf

Edmix is a social justice troll... he lurks in any topic discussing this subjects with empty wall posts and leaving emojis .. check name tag, easiest ignore on neogaf, all you will get is strawmaning and bad faith arguing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom