• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SW Outlaws tanks, Ubisoft is course correcting

Sybrix

I hate to say this but I have a feeling this general decline in quality is partly due to excessive diversity hires versus looking for competent programmers artists game Devs etc.

Partly that, but also just the amout of products Ubisoft has been pushing on gamers over the last 10 years has been so excessive and its all quanitiy not quality.

The big Ubi monsters, AC and Far Cay have been rinse and repeate for the last 10 years, pure trash.

Watchdogs stamped into the dirt with the 2nd one and that shit one in London.

Ghost Recon..... talk about bland, the most generic 3rd person shooter you could ever play over the last 10 years.

These are huge francises that Ubisoft have just treated like crap.

And where the fuck has Splinter Cell been?!?!?!!?! Seriously..... what the fuck were Ubisoft thinking not bringing us more Spilinter Cell. I should be greatful actully, im sure if there was another wihtin the last 10 years it would be treated as badly as any of the above.

Last edited:

Rambotito

Fix her fucking face already.
ywHjdrj.png
SR9CKt0.jpeg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Paris shares. Never mind someone bringing up 2021 shares at 85 Euros or whatever. In 2018, it topped out about 108 Euros! Now at 11 and change.

in 6 years, the stock has dropped 90%. lol

Every tech stock rode the wave during covid, which they did. And most maintained it years later. Instead, UBI crashed like Peloton.

On the right part of the graph, you'll see it above 75. That was Jan 2021 where the stock was 80-85. Since then (over 3.5 years), good luck trying to make money on a rebound. It's been almost a pure downhill slope to 11 Euros. lol. I added a 5Y chart below it which makes it easier to see.

IzdJlMZ.jpeg

UGOyDmw.jpeg

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Outlaws always looked like a mediocre third-person shooter from the gameplay I saw. Like if stealth is gonna be such a huge part of the gameplay, how can you make the enemy AI be so awful. Throwing the Star Wars license on top of it wasn't gonna magically make it a hit, especially since that license has lost much of its luster these days. And in 2024, having an uglified girl-boss protag isn't exactly ground breaking.

GooseMan69

If you want a good laugh, head over to the subreddit for this game. They are convinced that incels and gooners are solely responsible for the game underperforming. Apparently these incel boogeymen hold complete sway over the gaming industry 😂

GloveSlap

People keep making fun of the girl in Outlaws, but i thought it was pretty cool that they had Chewbacca's sister as the main character.

Drake

The girl who is the model of the main character is literally a 10. She is so hot. What they did to that character is a tragedy.

That's why I don't get too fussed about their ridiculous whale hunting pre-order stuff. I don't ever pay more than $15 usually.

Yep I remember once people were complaining about (I think Origins) and how leveling could be made faster with some sort of extra\dlc pack you bought. Waited and got the pack + the full game for $20. I really never understood how the company was surviving doing deals so quickly but looking at the stock now seems like they were just scrapping by I guess.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No they're not, they continue and not know why nothing has changed.

always the same story. Just because they think engaging SBI and add those virtue signaling check points, they can cover the deficiencies in gameplay.

SBI is a fraud company, they should stop wasting developers' limited resources.
They are a fraud indeed. Yet devs keep bringing them on and utilizing them for some ridiculous reason. Until that stops gaming will remain infected and broken, Shareholders and management will only put up with losing money for so long. They have to many yachts and properties they want to continue to acquire and virtue signaling shitshow games don’t pay enough to meet that tab.

I just expected a much bigger, grander game from Massive. They kept saying how it was open world but the game certainly isn’t on the scale of AC Origins or Odyssey. I think people wanted a massive, huge SW open world RPG to sink their teeth into and instead it’s like “eh, yeah it’s open world but it’s like 30 hours”. Eh, ok then, not really what I was expecting, so no thanks. I’ll hold onto my $70.

Last edited:

strike670

Neo Member
Ubisoft games go for half off a month or two after release, and that probably has something to do with the declining sales.

Why pay $69.99 for a game, when you can buy it for $39.99-$29.99 two or three months after release with patches that fix a lot of the bugs.

Ubisoft games go for half off a month or two after release, and that probably has something to do with the declining sales.

Why pay $69.99 for a game, when you can buy it for $39.99-$29.99 two or three months after release with patches that fix a lot of the bugs.
this 100% that Pandora game they had released went on like a 40% sale in less than a month after release

Cyberpunkd

That is the last of this game problem.
This. It's an OPEN WORLD STAR WARS game. This should have sold like absolute bonkers. Of course putting it on Ubisoft+ probably completely destroyed sales, which is like nobody learned from Gamepass situation.

Their other franchises suffer from incredible bloat, they require 1000 people over 3-4 years to build for nothing more than same copy/paste stuff for 100 hours. You had people actively discouraging others from buying Valhalla because of how bloated it was. Then they come with AC Shadows - probably the most requested setting for the series since inception - and they completely fumble first on fundamental franchise direction (black samurai in Japan), then on marketing (bad kanji ; destroyed Tori gate).

Ozzie666

I had a discussion today with another Star Wars Fan/Nerd like myself. If you kept the game set in this time period, initially we both tought Dash Render would have been better choice. But then we thought, you know what, why not Lando? A character that people know and like, redemption arc after betaying our heroes in Empire Strikes Back, only to become a general and a hero in Return of the Jedi? What a missed opportunity.

Ubisoft deserves every failure for their hubris and agendas just like Acolyte. Make games for gamers and fans with profit.

Stock dropped another 2 EUR after market opened today. It's currently trading below 10 EUR. Big oof for Ubi.

OQoEJNC.png
Good. Now I wish the same for Sony for releasing similar DEI invested crap games - LOU2, Spiderman2, and now also Ghost of Woke with a trans lead character.

Last edited:

timothet

Considering they're thought of as a major publisher, it always surprises me how small Ubi's market cap is. Thinking about it though, maybe they seem smaller time than they used to.
Currently even CDPR have higher market cap than them. 1.22B vs 4B EUR. It's crazy.

9.26 now. Does Paris exchange have automatic stops?
Yes, they do. Though I think that the price already stabilised. Unless some bigger entity starts offloading their shares.

Last edited:

kyussman

The Star Wars IP as a whole just seems to be losing that glamour that it once had. Games like Outlaws certainly aren't helping.
Yea,it's almost like Disney turning it from the biggest movie IP in the world into a bunch of made for tv fan fiction slop has damaged the brand,lol.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Two things I like:

1. Ubi returning to Steam day one. They knew all along this was a dumb move, but they got greedy and thought they could strong arm people into buying from their store for the extra 30%. They allowed their games on Epic because they also knew no one buys games on EGS, plus Timmy probably threw some money at them.

Now they come crawling back. Glad you know your place, Ubi.

2. Free first expansion if you preorder is actually really nice. I’ve no idea how it will turn out, but it sure beats the greed of delaying the game for everyone else, so you can pretend to give preorder buyers the game a couple days “early”.

Hopefully they continue course correcting and making games for their customers instead of the desires of the weirdo developers.

Dr.Morris79

Fuck these losers.

The only possible way they could 'course' correct to me and get me to ever buy one of their shit games again is simple

1: Give me back my purchase of The Crew, make it offline.

2: Get rid of the shitty Uplay from Steam. It's bollocks, NO ONE wants it. Just get rid of it altogether. Just stop.

3: Just stop with all the 'Online only' bullshit. NO one wants it

4: Give me my digital bought copy of Driver San Francisco back on the Xbox so I can play it via BC

5: Get rid of this DEI bullshittery, no one likes wanky game characters and infantile writing in your games, just stop

6: For christ sake get some better hair cuts on your game characters. No one likes a girl with the generic side shave shite! (No doubt falls into the DEI whiff, so add this to 4:)

Do this, or fuck off.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Stock dropped another 2 EUR after market opened today. It's currently trading below 10 EUR. Big oof for Ubi.

OQoEJNC.png
You just know there will be some private equity or 3rd party takeover at this point.

Kind of tempted to jump in but it’s a lot of gambling.

Edit: Forgot that AC Shadows has always online req and Outlaws requires internet connection to actually start playing. It related to stock price, but just evidence of more Ubi idiocy.

Last edited:

Nikodemos

Can't believe they removed the fat deposits from her face. That's fat phobic.
I'll bet the actual reason for the wacky model is something dumb, but basic, like using an autorigger exclusively, without doing a manual edit of the model after applying the mocapped textures. Not doing manual passes is way faster, but the results tend to be shit.
Note that Asian (primarily Korean and Chinese, since they tend to have the largest output nowadays) games also use the autorigger; however, they have one notable advantage. Namely, hordes of poorly paid (thus, cheap) junior animators (a junior animator barely earns more than a basic QA tester, and QA is the lowest rung) to manually edit the models.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
We're just getting to the point where mid isn't good enough, at least in the AAA space. Ubisoft are kind of the kings of mid AAA and they're starting to pay for it.

RickSanchez

Nice, im buying it fully patched and 50% off in a few months. Never buy ubi games at release
exactly

i did the same thing for last 3-4 ubi games - AC Valhalla, AC Mirage, Far Cry 6, Far Cry Pandora; got them for cheap; and still somehow, when i play these games, i feel like i overpaid

Top Bottom