• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SW Outlaws tanks, Ubisoft is course correcting

ahtlas7

Gold Member
Ubisoft, Disney, Star Wars : what could go wrong?
fail star wars GIF

Da1337Vinci

This day in age, it has to hit at least an 80.
Right current living cost, amount of games available, 70 price tag and games that are time sink aka live services mean you must do something fresh.

Ubisoft times where they habe been know to do something like that can be argued has been 5 optimistically speaking or over 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Only a brand new game absent any issues that is just about good gameplay and stories that looks great and becomes popular will course correct for Ubisoft, Outlaws and Shadows won't achieve that now IMO.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Why does everyone have to be so damn dramatic about everything.

I assumed we’d be getting some actual numbers based on the thread title.

Last edited:

Flabagast

They really need to hire better writers, it’s the top 1 issue with their games.

If they had more interesting characters and stories, the reception would be much better with zero extra budget needed

I'm just Star Wars'd out.

The Jedi series is great because it has a sense of adventure, but running around as Dollar Tree Han Solo just didn't seem worth $60 and 50 hours of time.

Below 80 for games only with 75% off if it is a genre I really enjoy. Time is short on life. I want play just what is good.
You should decide if the game is good or not. Don't let some "journalist" or petty (or troll) individuals determine that for you. Maybe you won't like overall 90 points game. Maybe you'll love below overall 80 games. Hell, I love lots of below 70 games myself, lots of hidden gems there.

Point system is good indicator but just for a starting point. Not for everything.

Last edited:
imagine tanking your company just baucause you wouldnt make your character slightly attactive.

lol.
Nah.... IMO, it's not just the fact that she's unattractive. Gaming's got a fair amount of unattractive characters. The problem for me is that her image is more cursed than ugly. Like, it's just mad uncanny valley. I can handle an ugly protagonist. What I can't handle is a character that looks like an AI's failed attempt of approximating a human face. Everything about is just off. I can't adequately explain it, but it makes me uncomfortable to look at it.

Last edited:
I'll say it again, irrespective of all the hoopla about the in-game model of the protagonist, if you're gonna make a story in the Star Wars Universe that isn't centered around the Jedi-Sith conflict (i.e. fucking cool space wizards who give the entire IP its appeal), then your writing and production needed to be fucking top tier.

This simply wasn't. A 76 MC score is pretty bad considering media outlets rarely use the full scale. So not only did Ubisoft ship a Star Wars game with no Jedi, they also shipped a poorly made Star Wars game with no Jedi and also a shitty 3D model for the protagonist.

It was really a perfect storm of horse shit that nobody wanted to play.

You should decide if the game is good or not. Don't let some "journalist" or petty (or troll) individuals determine that for you. Maybe you won't like overall 90 points game. Maybe you'll love below overall 80 games. Hell, I love lots of below 70 games myself, lots of hidden gems there.

Point system is good indicator but just for a starting point. Not for everything.

Good point. But the problem is many of us busy bees don't have the luxury (time) to try each game to know if it's good or not.

Personally, I go with recommendations, as most of the time they are spot on. There is not one game rated above 90 MC that I didn't enjoy - RE4, Rebirth, Tekken 8, AstroBot, BG3, Elden Ring, SFVI were all really good. There might be one or two journalists with an agenda but I believe majority of them are objective in their reporting.

yazenov

Physical only data and also incomplete.

Ubisofts games are too big and mass marketed to be commercial failures.

The shitty Valhalla sold upwards of 15m last estimate, probably closer to or above 20m by now. This will sell 10m easy.

Also, if using the leaked Marvel licensing is an example, it's $9m for licensing plus additional small percentages off of revenue. I don't think Ubi is gonna have any trouble with that.

Star Wars Outlaws initial sales proved softer than expected

Antonio Banderas Relief GIF

Last edited:

sachos

If they trully keep fixing and improving on it it could be a great buy at 50% off in a year or so.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Is there anyone left in Ubi that knows how to make a game fun? Pretty sure they only know how to reiterate their formula and somewhat expecting it didn’t get old after 300 identical games. How you “course correct” that?

MacReady13

76 is not bad at all, since when does every game have to be 80 plus to be considered good.
Normally I'd agree with that statement but in this case, with the Star Wars brand, and for how long AND how many people worked on it, plus the hype they built up for this game, an 85 really should've been the minimum they should expect... But hey, 76 for such an important game is fine if they say so.

Sybrix

To give Ubisoft credit - at least they are learning (maybe).

True, i like this take on the story.

Ubisoft in the 2000s was Rockstar level.

Each game was so exciting to play, from about 2014 onwards it's been a downward trajectory.

Here's hoping this re-focus slims Ubisoft down and they go back to creating quality games and not pump out repetative shit every 2 years.

Denton

With a lightsaber.
Outlaws is a great game and it really doesn't need a god damn lightsaber. Its focus on stealth action exploration gameplay is great.
Its problems are:
- bugs
- weird Kay character model that looks borderline broken in some cutscenes
- lack of steam release
- too basic enemy AI

That said eventhough I liked the game despite the issues, I am somewhat glad it is not selling because Ubi needs to get its face smacked if it is ever going to learn and leave the DEI nonsense.

StereoVsn

I'll say it again, irrespective of all the hoopla about the in-game model of the protagonist, if you're gonna make a story in the Star Wars Universe that isn't centered around the Jedi-Sith conflict (i.e. fucking cool space wizards who give the entire IP its appeal), then your writing and production needed to be fucking top tier.

This simply wasn't. A 76 MC score is pretty bad considering media outlets rarely use the full scale. So not only did Ubisoft ship a Star Wars game with no Jedi, they also shipped a poorly made Star Wars game with no Jedi and also a shitty 3D model for the protagonist.

It was really a perfect storm of horse shit that nobody wanted to play.
76 is a decent score for an indie or AA studio, like say some of the Euro ones producing decent but not great RPGs. 76 for a hyped AAAa Star Wars game is a huge issue.

True, i like this take on the story.

Ubisoft in the 2000s was Rockstar level.

Each game was so exciting to play, from about 2014 onwards it's been a downward trajectory.

Here's hoping this re-focus slims Ubisoft down and they go back to creating quality games and not pump out repetative shit every 2 years.
I hate to say this but I have a feeling this general decline in quality is partly due to excessive diversity hires versus looking for competent programmers artists game Devs etc.

Lunarorbit

This game won't magically sell more copies over the holidays. Not enough to matter. It launched on everything and there's damning video evidence that it's another paint by numbers ubisoft game.

Worse yet is all the ridiculous head slaps that were all over the internet. Really you can just slap a stormtrooper? This shit is baked

Top Bottom