• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Patcher: SW Outlaws tanking is a "rare incel victory"

Michael Patcher might be a marketing genius. Look how much engagement this rage bait has gotten. All the people upset over this are being played like a fiddle.

Beware of people who play off your emotions.
Marketing genius? How? People aren't buying the game. People aren't rushing out to use his services. And engagement from people creating a thread on a site that he sees no money from isn't it, either. Nor is it really raging.

You may want to look up the definition of the words you use, first.

@ OP

I don't know why I didn't realize this before, but AC: Shadows was delayed til Feb. Black History Month. Those motherfuckers are really going to try and create a Black Panther moment. Good luck with that. Even Black Panther 2 knew it couldn't pull that off, again, and didn't even try.

Go_Ly_Dow

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Marketing genius? How? People aren't buying the game. People aren't rushing out to use his services. And engagement from people creating a thread on a site that he sees no money from isn't it, either. Nor is it really raging.

@ OP

I don't know why I didn't realize this before, but AC: Shadows was delayed til Feb. Black History Month. Those motherfuckers are really going to try and create a Black Panther moment. Good luck with that. Even Black Panther 2 knew it couldn't pull that off, again, and didn't even try.

You aren't saying that BP 1 did what it did due to it coming out during Black History month are you? :pie_thinking:

bender

What time is it?
I haven't seen anywhere near the sort of "anti-DEI outrage" across the internet at large for Outlaws as a game on the whole compared to other recent high profile titles. Mostly just making fun of the main character's appearance, which wouldn't be a dealbreaker if people thought the game was worth buying for the real reasons people buy games.

If anyone is like me, I don't even know what the main character looks like. I see Star Wars, which I didn't much care for when Lucas was at the helm, and Ubisoft, which means paint-by-the-number open world design and single player games with season passes with editions north of $100 and it becomes a very easy title to ignore.

Last edited:

HJuggernaut

Neo Member
He talked out his ass 15 years ago and he's still talking out his ass. The game didn't get stellar reviews which is more of a reason for it tanking.

Last edited:

digdug2

I ain't fuckin with that game at any price!
You summed up my sentiment perfectly.

If Ubisoft messaged me today and said, "Hey, we miss you because you haven't bought a new game of ours since 2021, here's a copy of Star Wars Outlaws for you to play, on us," I would probably try it out, laugh about how bad it is, and then never touch it again.

The last game from Ubisoft that I actually enjoyed was Far Cry 5, and that was mostly because of the setting. I ended up moving to The Black Hills recently so that I could be closer to the mountains.

Krathoon

I do like Outlaws, but it was pretty obvious that they shot themselves in the foot and are blaming everyone else for their shenanigans.

They tried to get away with releasing a buggy product with a weird looking woman. Then they tried to pressure people into getting the season pass.

Last edited:

digdug2

I do like Outlaws, but it was pretty obvious that they shot themselves in the foot and are blaming everyone else for their shenanigans.

They tried to get away with releasing a buggy product with a weird looking woman. Then they tried to pressure people into getting the season pass.

957jvm.jpg

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
You do understand the difference, right?

BG3 had an incredibly high quality. It could be “woke” if you engaged that way, or not. Being woke was not the point.

Some of the games are viciously mediocre… and only seem to serve as a conduit for the “wokeness.” That’s the difference

I agree, but that is why I don't think this whole thing with "woke" or "anti woke" is enough by itself to get any game to flop

You can have a game deeply positive about being anti woke and making fun of woke people etc, the fucking game still needs to actually be a good game lol

So if BG3 was like bad quality, like modern day Bioware bad, yea, it would have flopped and people literally would be like "yEz becaUzE dA wOkE is wHy doE" and then add it to some list as if THEY alone are the reason why it failed.

I don't buy any of that.

MrMephistoX

RARE? It’s becoming the norm from Concord to Outlaws the so called anti-woke incels are voting with their dollars. I’m interested in the game but after my experience with Jedi Survivor I’m waiting for several patches and a sale…possibly even a PS5 Pro performance patch.

digdug2

It is like how Bethesda releases janky games and expects everyone to just accept it. They don't lower the price or anything.
Instead they say, "Fans, we heard you!" They then proceed to slather Vaseline on the package and re-release it as a full-priced remaster. All the same bugs and glitches are still there, it's just shinier and greasier.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I agree, but that is why I don't think this whole thing with "woke" or "anti woke" is enough by itself to get any game to flop

You can have a game deeply positive about being anti woke and making fun of woke people etc, the fucking game still needs to actually be a good game lol

So if BG3 was like bad quality, like modern day Bioware bad, yea, it would have flopped and people literally would be like "yEz becaUzE dA wOkE is wHy doE" and then add it to some list as if THEY alone are the reason why it failed.

I don't buy any of that.
Problem is, being woke often contributes to the bad quality while not really adding anything of value.

BG3 would still be as good as it is without body types and pronouns, or that trans tiefling they managed to shoehorn at some point. Meanwhile, character design in concord - design made to appeal to the woke crowd - was one of the main contributors to its downfall, same with the narrative of modern SW or Marvel that all try to pander and virtual signal in some form or another.

Last edited:

Raven117

I don't buy any of that.
Agreed. But there does seem to be a correlation that as hard as a game tries to be for “modern audiences” the worse it is.

BG3 wasn’t trying to be for “modern audiences.” They set out to make a kick ass old school cRPG with something for everyone. They succeeded.

Krathoon

I still remember being nice to the elf in Dragon Age Origins and the game thinking I was gay.

No, game. I was just being polite.

Last edited:

Del_X

Pachter is an analyst which is basically someone who’s shit at placing bets but somehow sucked the right cock to get a salary.

Kings Field

I’ve been playing games since 92, had almost every console, even on every forum besides the purple one, read articles, watched numerous YouTubers throughout the years, and I can honestly say I don’t have any idea who this fruit loop is or what an incel is. 🤷

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why is Mikey blaming the incels when clearly it's the fault of all the females out there who aren't supporting gurl power vidya gamez?

All the DEI and woke jokes aside, this is actually why I have no interest in the game:

COD SP on easy looks harder. Never mind getting ass raped on Veteran.

It's dumb enough how a punch can knock out a helmeted stormtrooper, but the animations looks like she punched air.

Barakov

@ OP

2VYH5d4.gif

Holy fuck. Pretty clever of them.

EDMIX

Agreed. But there does seem to be a correlation that as hard as a game tries to be for “modern audiences” the worse it is.

BG3 wasn’t trying to be for “modern audiences.” They set out to make a kick ass old school cRPG with something for everyone. They succeeded.

True, but that greatly depends on the game.

Its not like if we put "for modern audiences" on Call Of Duty, suddenly it will flop or something. A lot of the games many listed here are so unknown or teams on the decline and it seems like folks are just attaching the whole "woke and broke" thing in those situations when those games look like flops even without anything that we are talking about here. As in, I've yet to see a normal, I mean great even game, listed as "woke" and suddenly the game failed.

Often times theses are either series on the decline, teams on the decline or something. So even if BG3 was like "for modern audiences" and or "Don't like it....DON'T BUY IT" lol even if they said that, I think the game would have still moved millions and did just fine. I think its a combination of things that leads to this, I don't really buy its just 1 thing and suddenly millions hate games.

The game imho had to be something that someone didn't want first, to then add anything that other fuel.

I don't personally know anyone who who loves a game, but won't buy it cause of this. Like 1000 plus hour COD fan, woke = no buy for life or anything this crazy lol

Problem is, being woke often contributes to the bad quality while not really adding anything of value.
depends on the game lol If its smaller game like that Dustborn thing, then sure I agree, anything like that can hurt a game if everything is being done in place of actually making a quality game, but not with something with 2000 or 3000 plus people on board on some of these giant AAA games.

Its not like at Bioware some person is telling a programmer "ok, so make that boss suck, cause this game is woke so...make it boring as much as you can" lol

I get it in writing, maybe someone doesn't want it shoehorned in taking over the whole theme, I get it in design, maybe someone feels a character was done in a way as to support some cause vs a genuine artistic choice, but with the core gameplay, core design, I don't really buy someone having those views magically fucking makes a game have glitches or bad programing or some shit as this is just irrelevant to those jobs, when you work at a massive company, just cause someone has this type of view or the other, doesn't mean 100%, every last person thinks that way and even if they did, that wouldn't suddenly make their job this impossible thing

We literally have games from entire other countries where clearly the vast majority that worked on a title will have wildly different views then our own, yet we clearly see massive titles do wonders all over the world in sales and quality.

So i'm willing to agree that to a degree, yes something like this can hurt a small title if the person's entire cause seems to be more so about an idea or activist thing vs making a working game, but I'm not sure I can believe that on those larger projects were too many are working on it for the claim to ever make sense.
Why is Mikey blaming the incels when clearly it's the fault of all the females out there who aren't supporting gurl power vidya gamez?

All the DEI and woke jokes aside, this is actually why I have no interest in the game:

^ This.

Its why I say I Don't know if 100% I can just say "DEI" or "WOKE" is the reason the game did poorly, someone even said if they made a character creator, that would fix this. I mean, folks are attacking the game left and right for so many reasons, I highly doubt that ONE CHANGE would have this wild difference. So woke folks seem to be in this weird thing of just thinking having a male is some conspiracy to move wild unitls, we've seen shit flop with that too , the game must still actually be good.

Seeing how people are reacting over Dragon Age right now, proves some creator character thing wasn't going to change shit, look at how Andromeda turned out and that has a creator character lol So I'm trying to think of all the ways that could go wrong with the crowd that jumps on shit like this and I don't really buy that those changes would make that crowd suddenly like this, they'd just find some other shit to complain about

Raven117

True, but that greatly depends on the game.

Its not like if we put "for modern audiences" on Call Of Duty, suddenly it will flop or something. A lot of the games many listed here are so unknown or teams on the decline and it seems like folks are just attaching the whole "woke and broke" thing in those situations when those games look like flops even without anything that we are talking about here. As in, I've yet to see a normal, I mean great even game, listed as "woke" and suddenly the game failed.

Often times theses are either series on the decline, teams on the decline or something. So even if BG3 was like "for modern audiences" and or "Don't like it....DON'T BUY IT" lol even if they said that, I think the game would have still moved millions and did just fine. I think its a combination of things that leads to this, I don't really buy its just 1 thing and suddenly millions hate games.

The game imho had to be something that someone didn't want first, to then add anything that other fuel.

I don't personally know anyone who who loves a game, but won't buy it cause of this. Like 1000 plus hour COD fan, woke = no buy for life or anything this crazy lol

depends on the game lol If its smaller game like that Dustborn thing, then sure I agree, anything like that can hurt a game if everything is being done in place of actually making a quality game, but not with something with 2000 or 3000 plus people on board on some of these giant AAA games.

Its not like at Bioware some person is telling a programmer "ok, so make that boss suck, cause this game is woke so...make it boring as much as you can" lol

I get it in writing, maybe someone doesn't want it shoehorned in taking over the whole theme, I get it in design, maybe someone feels a character was done in a way as to support some cause vs a genuine artistic choice, but with the core gameplay, core design, I don't really buy someone having those views magically fucking makes a game have glitches or bad programing or some shit as this is just irrelevant to those jobs, when you work at a massive company, just cause someone has this type of view or the other, doesn't mean 100%, every last person thinks that way and even if they did, that wouldn't suddenly make their job this impossible thing

We literally have games from entire other countries where clearly the vast majority that worked on a title will have wildly different views then our own, yet we clearly see massive titles do wonders all over the world in sales and quality.

So i'm willing to agree that to a degree, yes something like this can hurt a small title if the person's entire cause seems to be more so about an idea or activist thing vs making a working game, but I'm not sure I can believe that on those larger projects were too many are working on it for the claim to ever make sense.

^ This.

Its why I say I Don't know if 100% I can just say "DEI" or "WOKE" is the reason the game did poorly, someone even said if they made a character creator, that would fix this. I mean, folks are attacking the game left and right for so many reasons, I highly doubt that ONE CHANGE would have this wild difference. So woke folks seem to be in this weird thing of just thinking having a male is some conspiracy to move wild unitls, we've seen shit flop with that too , the game must still actually be good.

Seeing how people are reacting over Dragon Age right now, proves some creator character thing wasn't going to change shit, look at how Andromeda turned out and that has a creator character lol So I'm trying to think of all the ways that could go wrong with the crowd that jumps on shit like this and I don't really buy that those changes would make that crowd suddenly like this, they'd just find some other shit to complain about
So, how do you explain the correlation?

On one hand, you have awesome stuff being made. Helldivers 2. Space Marine 2. Streller Blade. Wukong. Astrobot And that’s just this year.

On the other hand, concord…. Outlaws (and a few others).

On one hand, you have smaller groups of passionate developers that set out to make a kick ass fun game. On the other, you have mindless drab forced “modern audiences” games.

I hear what you are saying, clearly one can’t show causation…

But just look at what sucks out there and what is awesome… you can’t sit there and tell us that it’s all unrelated.

Last edited:

Kotaro

You do understand the difference, right?

BG3 had an incredibly high quality. It could be “woke” if you engaged that way, or not. Being woke was not the point.

Some of the games are viciously mediocre… and only seem to serve as a conduit for the “wokeness.” That’s the difference

those who played Concord said the gameplay was great, tight mechanic and all that. The game has very little bugs, And The cutscenes have high production value, just like Sony's other IPs. and yet still bomb, because it's MEGA-WOKE

So I stand by assessment wokeness will most likely kill a game

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
those who played Concord said the gameplay was great, tight mechanic and all that. The game has very little bugs, And The cutscenes have high production value, just like Sony's other IPs. and yet still bomb, because it's MEGA-WOKE

So I stand by assessment wokeness will most likely kill a game
Yup.

IMO, I'd go beyond that. Wokeness and lousy character designs and graphic style killed it right at first blush. Those fugly characters and pastel colours combined into a gross looking shooter.

Add in pronouns, people laughing about it and doing memes piled on. And there was no hope.

Gameplay is subjective because nobody can tell if it plays well or not unless you try it yourself. But everyone can see visuals with their eyes. It was such a turn off, hardly anyone even bothered playing the beta. So it shows the graphics and political messaging was so bad, nobody even wanted to give gameplay a shot. From what I read and heard from streamers, the gameplay was fine, but cookie cutter modes. And even for people who wanted to give it a try with the beta probably got turned off playing the beta since it had no join-in-progress gamers to fill out a shorthanded team. Zero shooter gamers like that. They fixed that on launch but too late.

On the other hand, Helldivers 2 sold a ton. From what I saw people liked the art style with cool colours, it looked fun, and everyone (including Arrowhead) enjoyed lampooning a Starship Troopers vibe making it a party game with buddies to obliterate giant aliens. Both games $40. But totally different in terms of looks, modes, politics and messaging. One was a giant seller. One was so bad it got axed in two weeks with an official refund policy. Crazy how one company can have such extreme success and failure all within half a year.

Last edited:

EDMIX

So, how do you explain the correlation?
I don't think its all due to that, I think its combination of things, the game being bad and woke, doesn't mean the woke made the game bad lol

Could have just been a bad game in general lol
But just look at what sucks out there and what is awesome… you can’t sit there and tell us that it’s all unrelated.
I don' t think what you are saying is directly related to something being good or bad in terms of game design.

Its likes saying "oh look at BG3, records sales for the team, large number of awards...WOKE = SUCCESS" lol and then be like "WOW Raven, you can't tell me you don't see the correlation here" lol

Its trying to force this idea that that "woke" or "anti-woke" is the leading cause of any success or failure.

I think its related sure, however I'm not going to jump into this "sucks cause woke, awesome cause non-woke"

Sir, we've seen enough flops across the board that we can't just assume that must be the only factor, we've seen flops where that was never really talked about around a title or something

Thats like me saying Babylon Falls failed cause it was TOO anti-woke, failed to make itself diverse, strong, lack of rainbow colors and purple...thus fail. I mean Raven, you can't tell me you don't see the correlation here..

babylons_fall.jpeg

Not enough rainbow, not enough purple, failed.

yet Look at how color this is, brave this is, DIVERSE this is lol

social-image-chapter4-s3-3840x2160-d35912cc25ad.jpg

I kid, but I'm trying to prove a point here. For the large majority, we still play games for fun, the game still actually needs to be good.

So BG3 vs Dragon Age imho, is a great example of this. Its 2 games with lots of sexual freedom to change the character, gender, have wild animal sex or gay sex lol

Yet one moved wild units and gained a lot of awards, the other is destined to fail (I mean, it didn't release, but we see the decline of Bioware to make a educated guess)

So is the idea of "woke" massive blow? A huge shot against a game even if it was good? I don't know about that. I don't buy putting that in Call Of Duty, Fortnite, Fifa, GTA will hurt any of em, how many really, really care about that to really tank a game?

K Kotaro "those who played Concord said the gameplay was great, tight mechanic and all that. The game has very little bugs" Ok, they probably really feel that way, but we've seen games fail that had nothing wrong with them, merely in market that is already jam packed.

Look at Hi Fi Rush, the game was praised, moved a good amount of units and the team was still closed down.

It means even when everything is fine, a game can still not meet expectations from the publisher. We have lot of examples of this btw. Like good game, underrated etc

Last edited:

PeteBull

I don't buy any of that.
U gotta take into consideration that when game is focused on pushing woke agenda/is pandering to women, like SW:O is, quality of the product gets much worse too by proxy coz then its never top priority for the devs anymore.

Exact opposite to SW:O is Space Marine 2, 0 agenda there, tons of brutality, blood and testosterone basically pouring out of it, and guess what- us guys respond very positively to that(ofc game quality has to be on point too).
Most important thing- budget has to be made that way so game is profitable w/o few milions of sales, which SM2 actually achieved :)

Speaking to IGN, Willits revealed that the budget for Space Marine 2 was less than half that of Doom Eternal, the last game he was id Software studio director on before leaving to join Saber in 2019. The suggestion here, of course, is that Space Marine 2, whose standard edition currently costs $59.99 on Steam and $69.99 on console, is already a highly profitable endeavor for all involved.

Roxkis_ii

Marketing genius? How? People aren't buying the game.
Is he selling a game??

People aren't rushing out to use his services.
Yeah, we're just in a thread about a article that quotes him...one of many mind you lol.

And engagement from people creating a thread on a site that he sees no money from isn't it, either.
Attention is the currently.

Nor is it really raging.

Also you:
Those motherfuckers are really going to try and create a Black Panther moment. Good luck with that. Even Black Panther 2 knew it couldn't pull that off, again, and didn't even try.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Top Bottom