• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Tek

I ended up picking up a ps4 despite only owning a 360 last gen. My work stopped giving us monthly cash bonuses and gave us reward points. ( think like reward points from your credit card ) so I was able to use those points to get a xbox one as well. I do enjoy the Xbone's controller and OS..Its nice to see the OS getting updated while its a ghost town for Sony.

I just figure I use the Xbone for exclusives like Sunset Overdrive, EA Access and the PS4 for multiplats like this. Although I did get Madden 15 on the Xbone.

I was tempted to go ahead and buy this tomorrow...but its coming from Gamefly. There is just too much I want in October alone and its hard to decide where to throw my money at. Plus there is this huge heavy metal festival this weekend where I know I will spend at least 200 for the two days I will be there.

If I keep it from Gamefly then its 45.00 plus I have 10.00 in reward coupons so it would be stupid for me to pay full price just to enjoy it a couple of days sooner. Normally I get new releases from GF by Wednesday.

Maybe I can go to Redbox tomorrow and see if they have it.

Saiyan-Rox

Now i'm debating even keeping my PC order :/ first I was wondering how my Rig would even cope with it and now the delay.

I know if i get it on console i'll be waiting longer but ugh i'm annoyed.

Nokterian

Just got a message from gamekeysnow:

"We know you're all itching to get your hands on your preciousss new Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor so we thought update you on your order status.

The game was due to release at midnight on the 30th of September. Warner Brothers have now scheduled the unlock time for 10am in America, which is 6pm British Time (6pm Central European Time). This unlock time is the same for Steam and boxed copies of the game. If you want to stare longingly at a timer counting down until release, you can do so on the Steam page for the game.

Due to release date restrictions, Warner Brothers have also decided to not allow CD key activation until some time on Tuesday and attempts to activate your code before then will not succeed. This means that we'll send out your keys tomorrow afternoon, so you'll be able to play it when the game unlocks on Steam."

So has WB not heard of pre-loading on Steam? Do you have to pay extra (as a company) or how does it work?

No wonder it says 24 hours to go now..such bullshit in a couple of hours it is going to be the 30th here in the EU. WB pulling another being a dick about it. My game is all ready preloaded it should be unlocked at midnight tonight not tommorow that is such BS.

Could you explain why this is such a strange notion to you?

While I'm sure that most, if not all, of Microsoft's claims about Cloud computing being able to support any graphical computations (which are mostly required to be done in realtime, at least at very low latencies) are BS, things like calculating (AI) strategies/story branches off-console on some distributed computer system is really not that an unlikely thing to happen in the coming years.

Any action you take that has a local effect (that which you can see, or interacts directly with you) lends itself badly to distributed ('delayed') computation, but any actions that have a global effect on the world you character lives in, could just as easily be done on some remote server. That also goes for any NPC actions that occur outside your own direct sphere of influence.

The term 'The Cloud' really has such a bad reputation on this forum, it is often automatically discredited, without giving it much thought. To me, the more complex game worlds become, the more likely it is that at least some of the necessary computations are done off-console.

GTA V granted reviews came a day before release video was embargoed till release.

I'm sure we had streams running for hours on end like 3 days before it came out. Slightly different case though I guess. Watching people piss about on GTA streams just makes viewers more excited, whereas a stream of SoM is more likely to contain a hefty portion of story stuff, so people could essentially use them as a Let's Play, and then not buy the game having already seen a lot of the content.

As an aside, I look forward to the GTA remaster just so I can watch it streamed on PS4 in the background when I'm on the laptop :p

Catdaddy

So..buying a physical copy of the game from a retailer (who opens at 10AM) will get you earlier access than a digital download? Interesting....

Wow, a marketing company tried to pay people to advertise SoM. Don't see the issue - they have to make videos of it in exchange for a free copy of the game, but they don't have to say it's amazing?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, when does this release on PC now? Not at midnight (NA)? Pretty bullshit since you can walk in and pick this up at midnight in many places.

Wow, a marketing company tried to pay people to advertise SoM. Don't see the issue - they have to make videos of it in exchange for a free copy of the game, but they don't have to say it's amazing?

if they say its terrible and to not buy it, its pretty much assumed that they will never get another game from the publisher.

Kiyoshi

So, when does this release on PC now? Not at midnight (NA)? Pretty bullshit since you can walk in and pick this up at midnight in many places.

5pm tomorrow GMT (6pm in the UK). You'll have to work out how that applies to you depending on where you are :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
While I'm sure that most, if not all, of Microsoft's claims about Cloud computing being able to support any graphical computations (which are mostly required to be done in realtime, at least at very low latencies) are BS, things like calculating (AI) strategies/story branches off-console on some distributed computer system is really not that an unlikely thing to happen in the coming years.

Any action you take that has a local effect (that which you can see, or interacts directly with you) lends itself badly to distributed ('delayed') computation, but any actions that have a global effect on the world you character lives in, could just as easily be done on some remote server. That also goes for any NPC actions that occur outside your own direct sphere of influence.

The term 'The Cloud' really has such a bad reputation on this forum, it is often automatically discredited, without giving it much thought. To me, the more complex game worlds become, the more likely it is that at least some of the necessary computations are done off-console.

This is an old argument, and trust me it's been given tons of thought. Any calculations that could be done like that on a "cloud" could just as easily be done on the local hardware as well, with the added benefit of not making your game uplayable should you lose your internet connection, like any game programmed with cloud dependency does. There are very, VERY, few instances where using the cloud to do calculations is a benefit of any kind for a game of this nature.

Hence, the bad rep.

The X1 is just weaker than the PS4 and there really isn't any magic solution to fix that. Multiplats are always going to favor the PS4 this gen, it's just a question of how much. Hopefully for the X1 people here the difference is not as drastic as the rumors state for SoM.

Grimsen

Levyne

Banned
I'm always just a little surprised the extent people fret over the exact release hour. I guess I'm just not as passionate or enthusiastic? If it releases I'm the middle of the day and not at midnight, oh well. It doesn't bum me out or anything. I'll just wait.

Mrbob

Guess WB doesnt understand the concept of pre loading on PC outside of buying it directly from steam? Get those keys out.

JimPanzer

Yeah, it's a weird one - it says that if you're logged into an account with a UK PSN ID, but if you log back into the US PSN acc it shows the proper timer.

same problem here. I might have to play this with my US instead of my EU acc? all my saves are on the EU acc :(

Kud Dukan

What time (US EST) does the game unlock on PSN? Trying to decide if I want to preorder it, or just go out tomorrow morning and pick it up.

garath

This sounds more like TotalBiscuit trying to make himself look like some paragon of integrity than anything else. What exactly is shady about giving youtubers early copies in exchange for adverts? Do people think advertising space is free?

No. Advertising isn't free which is basically why it's like they're buying ad space with an early copy of the game. It's strange and kind of ridiculous.

Is this already shipped and in stores, ie can be picked up tomorrow?

I was more excited for this than DAI and that was before the reviews.

oh and FH2 tomorrow too I think

So no GMG keys out yet and the game is not releasing at midnight on Steam?

Meh, instead of actually being able to play the game tomorrow I'll probably be stuck downloading all 30+ GB.

BTW anyone wanting the Xbox one version, and forza horizon 2

At target, if you buy FH2 you get 30% off any xbox one game. so thats good timing

oh weird they also have a $10 gift card if you buy Shadow Mordor - I wonder if you can get them to apply both deals?

Uga

Hey so if I buy the digital version from Amazon I will only get the code at midnight Pacific time? Can't pre-load?

Kud Dukan

I see. I'm CT so I'll have to stay up until 2am but I have class tomorrow ugh...

Struggled with that many times before hahaha. Currently out of work, so I COULD stay up, but I've tried that before and it rarely goes well. Rather just get up early tomorrow morning and start playing.

Top Bottom