• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

VanWinkle

Tomorrow, when UPS delivers it, I will be playing Shadow of Mordor. Wow, can't believe we're almost there.

Some will be playing tonight. :(

Make sure to take screenshots guys, and hopefully at least one of you getting it tonight on PS4 or XB1 will be good at telling framerates, so we know if PS4 is DEFINITELY 60fps (no reviews mentioned this, dev hasn't absolutely confirmed it, people here that have played it said they can't tell), and what framerate XB1 is.

Patroclos

Banned
I can't believe we still don't have solid XB1 info :/

Get used to it. It's becoming a regular occurrence. It's fucking crazy. Who are they hurting by not providing the info? If people don't like what one version provides they are either going to buy it for another system/pc or they will buy it for the one they own.

Do publisher's think they won't buy the product at all? I don't see that happening if the game is good. Why should the publisher care which of the three alternatives people buy the game on? It's all one pie, holding back info only really changes how that pie is sliced up. Am I missing something obvious here?

HowZatOZ

Banned
Get used to it. It's becoming a regular occurrence. It's fucking crazy. Who are they hurting by not providing the info? If people don't like what one version provides they are either going to buy it for another system/pc or they will buy it for the one they own.

Do publisher's think they won't buy the product at all? I don't see that happening if the game is good. Why should the publisher care which of the three alternatives people buy the game on? It's all one pie, holding back info only really changes how that pie is sliced up. Am I missing something obvious here?

Welcome to the Wii U club. Publishers are just super weird when it comes to marketing, and its obvious they have far more data on what is selling and what isn't. That is most definitely pushing their marketing campaign.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

I think it has to do with publisher and platform holder relationships. If they answer truthfully and a game isn't 1080p, that currently is a topic that generates headlines and gets clicks.
That in turn reinforces the perception that the Xbox One system is not up to snuff to its direct competitor that is priced similarly.

Konami for example took down the technical overview of the various versions for the upcoming PES game after it hit GAF and social media and the product manager said they will be talking to MS on how to communicate in the future.

This is just in the absence of other stuff. When the game is out and sites can post their analysis then it's competing for video footage of gameplay and reviews that the game is good as opposed to just the technical conversation that the game is not on the same level as other versions.

Rokam

New tv is in... don't have to play on a 22 inch. Victory! Picking up both after work tomorrow, think I may be coming down with a case of Nemesis Orcus.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That puts some of my performance concerns to rest, but I'm assuming the texture pack isn't installed there. And I'm curious to see how my 780 Ti with a puny 3GBs will fair.

41fps dip on 970. That's rough. :/

Red Comet

Just saw that this won't be unlocking until noon tomorrow on Steam. That's incredibly lame because I wanted to see how well it performed on my computer tonight, but at least now I don't have to decide between playing this and Forza Horizon 2 at midnight.

I wonder if it's less about the publisher and more about the "Platform Holder", Microsoft in this case. If you were in their position, wouldn't you not want the publishers saying that a game runs worse on the XB1 than the PS4?

Red Comet

I just watched it again and I could not catch the drop to 41 FPS. The lowest I saw was 55 for a second as an explosion occurred. Otherwise it was above 60. The min and max framerates probably occurred as the benchmark was loading up, which doesn't concern me.

Saganator

Think I'm gonna try to get this early morning at a 24/7 Wal-Mart. I'm off tomorrow, but I work first shift, so I'll be up by 6AM and that's sleeping in for me. Hopefully they have it stocked by the time I get there.

Patroclos

Banned
I think it has to do with publisher and platform relationships. If they answer truthfully and a game isn't 1080p, that currently is a topic that generates headlines and gets clicks.
That in turn reinforces the perception that the Xbox One system is not up to snuff to its direct competitor that is priced similarly.

Konami for example took down the technical overview of the various versions for the upcoming PES game after it hit GAF and social media and the product manager said they will be talking to MS on how to communicate in the future.

I honestly suspected this and fear it going forward. Personally, to me, it seems like censorship. I did not want to put it into words for fear of being labeled a tinfoil hat guy or something. So many things seem to go on behind closed doors in this industry. They (pubs, devs, industry in general) just don't seem to ever learn that just being honest and forthright will sell more games and systems than carefully chosen PR speak, shady practices and half-truths ever will.

So sad, it makes me really jaded about one of my favorite hobbies/pastimes. I guess you either look behind the curtain and "deal with it" or bury your head in the sand and ignore it. Unfortunately, I'm a guy who has personal problems being comfortable with either solution so it leaves me confused and in a quandary.

InfYn

You don't even see the dip. It's the same issue I see with Unigine benchmarks like Heaven and Valley, the first load of the first scene tanks the frames more than the rest of the benchmark normally would.

Impressive that they included what looks like a decent benchmark though, I was not expecting that. GG once more Monolith.

There are some games that have those kinds of tips at the start or end of the benchmark but not during gameplay. Company of Heroes 2 comes to mind. I didn't see it get below 55 during the actual thing, so I'm assuming that's what is happening.

You don't even see the dip. It's the same issue I see with Unigine benchmarks like Heaven and Valley, the first load of the first scene tanks the frames more than the rest of the benchmark normally would.

Impressive that they included what looks like a decent benchmark though, I was not expecting that. GG once more Monolith.

If the lower overall FPS is due to the initial load in, then what would you say the average framerate is for the rest of the scene?

xBladeM6x

I just watched it again and I could not catch the drop to 41 FPS. The lowest I saw was 55 for a second as an explosion occurred. Otherwise it was above 60. The min and max framerates probably occurred as the benchmark was loading up, which doesn't concern me.

This. Everyone can stop worrying. Lol

hey the game says it's unlocking at 2:45 am on the us playstation store. Is this the correct time? at first it said 1:45.

sony can't even get the time right LOL.

whatever it says its the time it unlocks.

maybe they think that since microsoft unlocks game at Midnight EST they can go earlier. but they forgot about timezone.

Tomorrow, when UPS delivers it, I will be playing Shadow of Mordor. Wow, can't believe we're almost there.

Make sure to take screenshots guys, and hopefully at least one of you getting it tonight on PS4 or XB1 will be good at telling framerates, so we know if PS4 is DEFINITELY 60fps (no reviews mentioned this, dev hasn't absolutely confirmed it, people here that have played it said they can't tell), and what framerate XB1 is.

Found this in the screenshot thread that was posted by flipswitch, one of the reviewers commented on the FPS, not sure if you saw it already, but here it is

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131975660&postcount=13555

InfYn

If the lower overall FPS is due to the initial load in, then what would you say the average framerate is for the rest of the scene?

Based on the bench shown in that video it's easily a 60-80 FPS average across the entire scene shown. The lowest I saw it actually dip was to 55 for a second while multiple explosions were on screen.

I'm not primarily an nvidia user so I don't know if there is an optimized driver or application profile out for this game yet either, but that may also improve performance.

InfYn

Do they email you the key or is it solely on the GMG account page? I can't remember...

Furiously refreshing my email in vain.

I preordered AC3 from GMG, one day before release it was emailed to me and placed in my account.

I received the email first, though.

Krakn3Dfx

Just got my key from GMG.

Qbv0-A7m5aK-7ydDcK7oZ-FScVs_

Soi-Fong

well thats good

its one dip, the average is much above 60, its maxed out, come on now

its not even going to be as future proof as most expected

Was it running fully maxed (without the ultra textures I mean)?

I have a 780 Ti Classified and 2600k OC'd to 4.4 ghz and I'm hoping I could run this at 1440p if possible.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
There are some games that have those kinds of tips at the start or end of the benchmark but not during gameplay. Company of Heroes 2 comes to mind. I didn't see it get below 55 during the actual thing, so I'm assuming that's what is happening.

Oh, Tomb Raider also does that, but the Tomb Raider benchmark is pretty useless anyway. The actual game is much more demanding.
Still, one drop to 55 in a short clip would be enough for GAF to call a game "not 60fps" if it happened in a console game despite games that GAF had no problem calling 60fps like MGS2 on PS2 dipping much worse and more often.

Levyne

Banned
So it looks my my 780 should be able to run most everything max (and average 60) except the ultra textures, good enough for me.

Yeah, I really wish this unlocked on steam earlier. :(

Given that it's going to unlock at 1PM EST tomorrow, I'm probably not going to get to play it until 1AM EST Wednesday. =\

Does anyone know why WB or Valve decided to not midnight this one? That fact combined with the brand deal stuff is really making me nervous about how this is going to perform on my dual 670MXs...

Given that it's going to unlock at 1PM EST tomorrow, I'm probably not going to get to play it until 1AM EST Wednesday. =\

Does anyone know why WB or Valve decided to not midnight this one? That fact combined with the brand deal stuff is really making me nervous about how this is going to perform on my dual 670MXs...

its always the publisher

valve doesnt give a shit

how will some be playing tonight?

Top Bottom