• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This series in Montreal is making me sad....

VIaW1bc.jpg

Opiate

Meh the Cards are super lucky, most draft picks are total busts. If you try to build your team through the draft it usually doesnt work out. What should the Tigers do, let Miggy walk and just hope that some kid in their minor leagues will magically replace his production?

Yes, that is what I'm saying. If you want the specific people drafted from the Cabrera draft compensation to replace him, probably not. If you want the strong draft broadly to replace him -- the benefits of many draft compensations -- then probably yes.

It isn't as if the Cardinals are the only ones making this work: the Devil Rays are, too. They keep letting people go, and keep playing well despite that, as new talent constantly replaces the old.

As much as I think the whole "AL East is the best!" is a tad overrated, I find it hard to believe no team from that division is going to win under 90 games. One of those teams will break away from the pack.

It's overdone, it's still true. Last year every team had a winning record outside of the division. Even the Jays had a .512 winning percentage when they left the ALE. If those five teams weren't playing each other so often, or if they had a balanced schedule, it's entirely possible that all five of them could make the playoffs in the current system.

Loco4Coco

Not sure what you mean

Every time the Mets play the Nationals the Mets' announcer will mention how there are no recognition of the Nationals' time in Montreal in the ballpark. They don't have any Expos memorabilia. I don't know if this is entirely true.

Sanjuro

It's overdone, it's still true. Last year every team had a winning record outside of the division. Even the Jays had a .512 winning percentage when they left the ALE. If those five teams weren't playing each other so often, or if they had a balanced schedule, it's entirely possible that all five of them could make the playoffs in the current system.

I don't agree with any sport saying "This divison/league/etc is the best". The playing field is too diverse.

MLB makes probably the most sense though, but fuck interleague play.

Yes, that is what I'm saying. If you want the specific people drafted from the Cabrera draft compensation to replace him, probably not. If you want the strong draft broadly to replace him -- the benefits of many draft compensations -- then probably yes.

It isn't as if the Cardinals are the only ones making this work: the Devil Rays are, too. They keep letting people go, and keep playing well despite that, as new talent constantly replaces the old.

The Rays do a good job staying competitive but they have not won a WS with their strategy and I very much doubt they ever will.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Rays do a good job staying competitive but they have not won a WS with their strategy and I very much doubt they ever will.

They had a team good enough to do it most of the years since 2007. It's hard to make the WS though, let alone win it.

Malvingt2

Ridiculous.

The Red Sox won the title last year and still have the best team on paper. The Yankees IF is a fucking mess. It'll be good competition between those 2 and the Rays but the idea that the Yankees are somehow ahead of everybody else is pretty insane.

Orioles and Blue Jays lol.

I can't say anything to them because if I do, I am a "hater" blah blah blah. So yeah.

Sanjuro

Ridiculous.

The Red Sox won the title last year and still have the best team on paper. The Yankees IF is a fucking mess. It'll be good competition between those 2 and the Rays but the idea that the Yankees are somehow ahead of everybody else is pretty insane.

I don't see how we have the best team on paper.

Yankees IF is questionable, but their relief pitching looks worse than anything else.

The new sideline reporter for NESN is not up to snuff with her predecesors. She's not fit for the job nor does she ask compelling questions.

Picked up MLB 14: The Show for Vita.

Lawrie's swing is way too wild now. He has toned it down this off season and the Show has ramped it up.

Dickey getting lit up for two dingers in the first against the Orioles. Mets... Meh. I guess it's a fair representation of the Jays.

3N16MA

Banned
Ridiculous.

Red Sox are 10-16 in ST. They're clearly done and might win 78 games if lucky.

Malvingt2

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi
Most recent estimate on gate for Mets-Jays in Montreal: 45,000 tickets tonight, 50,000 tomorrow. Wow.

Malvingt2

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1m
New drug agreement: As previously reported, 80 games for first offense, 162 for second, lifetime ban for third.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 17s
New JDA also includes increased blood collections for hGH detection. A player suspended for PED use will be ineligible for postseason.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 15s
Every player suspended for PEDs will be subject to 6 additional urine tests and 3 additional blood tests for rest of career, all unannounced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom