• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1m
New drug agreement: As previously reported, 80 games for first offense, 162 for second, lifetime ban for third.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 17s
New JDA also includes increased blood collections for hGH detection. A player suspended for PED use will be ineligible for postseason.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 15s
Every player suspended for PEDs will be subject to 6 additional urine tests and 3 additional blood tests for rest of career, all unannounced
Harper picked a bad time to start juicing.

zulux21

Here's to hoping Grady Sizemore comes back with a strong year. Dude was the real deal a few years back.

As much as I dislike the red sox in general and hope that they fail and fight it out in the bottom of their division with the yankees... I hope sizemore has a monster season (he was both super annoying and a joy to watch years ago lol)... still wish the white sox had given him a shot to make their team given how weak our CF is/was though I suppose he would rather play for a team that will likely make the playoffs instead of a dark horse to make the playoffs :p

Ricker

Damn...The Blue Jays are in Montreal tonight and tomorrow afternoon to play the Mets...I feel like going but there's like 45,000 tickets sold for both...what to do...

Damn...The Blue Jays are in Montreal tonight and tomorrow afternoon to play the Mets...I feel like going but there's like 45,000 tickets sold for both...what to do...

You should try. You don't know the next time you may have baseball in Montreal.

About to head out to Dodger Stadium for the freeway series. Fifedawg has been scratched from the game and replaced with Zach Lee. The future is here.

calder

...so who do Montreal fans even want to win?

Lot of Jays fans in the crowd, as expected.

Really love the crowd there. Have only half-watched the game but I was inspired enough to go find my old Expos cap. It's so ratty and disgustingly filthy I didn't even put it on my head to watch TV, but the thought was there. ;)

About to head out to Dodger Stadium for the freeway series. Fifedawg has been scratched from the game and replaced with Zach Lee. The future is here.

hqdefault.jpg

clemenx

Banned
Boooo. I don't see Trout slowing down. Wanted to see him FA as young as possible. Now that would've been a crazy bidding war.

Trout should fire his agent. There's pretty much no conceivable reason to sell his first three free agent years at such a low price. The Angels got a real steal there, which will at least help to offset all of the money they're paying to Pujols and Hamilton.

rando14

Trout should fire his agent. There's pretty much no conceivable reason to sell his first three free agent years at such a low price. The Angels got a real steal there, which will at least help to offset all of the money they're paying to Pujols and Hamilton.

Eh it's probably fine. He'll still hit FA at like 28 or 29. Plus, 24/yr at age 22 is freaking insane

trifelife

He's probably cool with being a hundred-millionaire and hitting free agency at 29. That seems pretty mellow.

That being said, I was really looking forward to his potential arbitration deals. Would have been ridiculous.

Sanjuro

Anyone who believes this signing for Trout is a good thing is crazy. The guy hasn't even thrown his wife down the stairs yet or gotten a DUI.

With the new drug rules in place? Guy is going to be a fucking saint!

But seriously, I'd like a list of highest contracts by age in MLB history.

3N16MA

Banned
This is a great deal for the Angels. Never thought he would give up his first 3 years of FA and on top of that for an estimated AAV of 28M.

Whats the point of teams delaying prospect call-ups when they still sign them to extensions after a season or so?

An extra year of service time gives them an extra year of team control without even needing to sign the extension, which means they have more leverage when they do sit down to discuss an extension.

If that final arbitration year is one year further out, that's an extra year that the player basically has to accept below market value pricing for in any extension.

trifelife

From http://beta.thescore.com/news/466168

Mike Trout on Friday signed a contract that will pay him more than the career earnings of LeBron James. It is half the length and nearly 50 percent higher than Sidney Crosby's contract.

When put in that context, it's kind of crazy. Of course there's not nearly the same kind of endorsements for Trout to cash in on, but still.

He's a free agent before 30. May literally be in the top 50 WAR by then. He will get paid. His agent was thinking that yes, the team is assuming some risk. Mike Trout could blow out his whatever and never play again. Still gets paid. In the end he decided it was worth it.

Of course it is.

Trout's agent is either fucking retarded or Trout is about to stop cycling.....

Can't these brahs just chip in a little out of their massive contracts to being back the Expos???

zulux21

Trout's agent is either fucking retarded or Trout is about to stop cycling.....

i really don't get this... it's not like it's a horrible deal for trout, i mean after you take out his arb years he is still making close to 30 mil a season for the free agent years he gave up.

the angels could have stalled and waited 2 years before needing to seriously give him an offer... in 2 years time trout could end up running into the outfield wall, permanently hurt himself, and not be the same ever again and gotten far less... or heck even just naturally lost the magic and stopped being a beast.

could he maybe have gotten a little more... perhaps, but lets not kid ourselves it's not like the angels aren't taking on any risk with this. It's a deal that should pad out in the Angels favor, but sadly even young great players have fallen apart quickly in the past.

I mean worst case for trout now he will end the game of baseball making over 140mil... before this deal he was only going to for sure make over 1mil... 1mil may be enough to retire for the rest of your life at age 23... that's iffy... 140 mil is for sure enough to retire with at age 29 if you wanted to.

Yeah, it's easy to say as outsiders to say he should've settled for more money and gotten a contract closer to his market value (50M+ instead of 28M) but the guy is set for life assuming he spends his money somewhat reasonably. Having that kind of security is something none of us would pass up if we were in his shoes. After the first 100M, it kinda gets into Monopoly money territory anyway unless you spend really extravagantly. And obviously, he still gets a crack at a monster contract if he's still playing at a good level in 6 years.

Ricker

You should try. You don't know the next time you may have baseball in Montreal.

I tried but the line ups for people who procrastinated like me was too big...and they are almost sold out for today...only way to get in is to get an overpriced scalper ticket...

Glad people responded well though and who knows,maybe one day,the Expos will be back in Montreal...I miss going to a few games during the summer so much...

I tried but the line ups for people who procrastinated like me was too big...and they are almost sold out for today...only way to get in is to get an overpriced scalper ticket...

Glad people responded well though and who knows,maybe one day,the Expos will be back in Montreal...I miss going to a few games during the summer so much...
The Expos will be back. I have no doubt in my mind. Just hope it is soon.

Looking at the success this year they may make this yearly. I'm curious how Montreal would respond to Jays vs Nationals.

The Expos will be back. I have no doubt in my mind. Just hope it is soon.

Need a new stadium first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom