• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Cabrera should get all he money he can grab. If the Tigers want to hand it to him he should be polite and accept it. Hilarious that there needs to be two vesting options at 60M at the end of it.
Nobody's blaming him at all. Everyone's laughing at Detroit.

Enron

Banned
When I lived in NY, I only had it a few times. Just came to MA about a month ago for the first time. Pretty big ad campaign and most stores got it really fast. Kind of impressed.

When Yuengling finally came to Atlanta like 5 years ago, it was fucking flying off the shevles and every bar was going through it left and right. Word-of-mouth from northerners. Even now its my favorite cheap beer.

Fruity Pebbles.

Pretty much, but it is tasty.

Sanjuro

SBDcYIC.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
What a glorious day that was.

I was at work that night, and every time is check my phone something crazy would've happened. GAF was really fun that night too. Too bad about the end result, though. If Kimbrel locked his shit down when it mattered, Brewers would've ended up stomping a mudhole into Texas and walking it dry.

Greatest single day in the history of baseball. So much chaos.

Let us remember the good times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPNpJX8b-bc

Shaughnessy during the Orioles/Red Sox rain delay: "But the Rays aren't going to come back down 7-0 with an inning and a half left to go."

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Just put together a payroll protection spreadsheet because I have insomnia, and you know what? The Braves can afford to extend Heyward at +$21mm from 2016 onwards if they're efficient enough in the rest of the payroll. The hardest year would be 2016, but then it should be smooth sailing after that.

Also would be nice to dump either some of Uggla's 2015 money or to cut Chris Johnson after this year so we can afford to pay for some starting pitching if needed.

Malvingt2

A lot of my friends and co workers[Yankees fans] are very confident about this year. They all feel that they are the team to beat.

I cant stress enough how silly I think it is to start the season with an interleague matchup. They need to put some rule in that blocks them the first month or something. NL teams should have a chance to actually play some games before they have to pick a DH. They really need to balance things so they can cut back on interleague.

I cant stress enough how silly I think it is to start the season with an interleague matchup. They need to put some rule in that blocks them the first month or something. NL teams should have a chance to actually play some games before they have to pick a DH. They really need to balance things so they can cut back on interleague.

Since the Astros moved to the AL it's inevitable. Unless you want two teams to have 3 off days in a row.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
A lot of my friends and co workers[Yankees fans] are very confident about this year. They all feel that they are the team to beat.

Ridiculous.

The Red Sox won the title last year and still have the best team on paper. The Yankees IF is a fucking mess. It'll be good competition between those 2 and the Rays but the idea that the Yankees are somehow ahead of everybody else is pretty insane.

Orioles and Blue Jays lol.

Fangraphs has the Jays tied for 3rd with the Yankees, and only finishing 5 GB the Red Sox. I can't imagine that happening, but it'd be the best season for the Jays in 20 years, so I'd be happy with it.

Of course, those Projected Standings also have a 3-way tie atop the AL West and every team in the NL West having at least 80 wins, so I don't know how seriously anyone can take them.

If you want to see the cognitive dissonance in action, check out Bless You Boys. They blame the reaction on jealousy, rather than common sense.

Fangraphs has the Jays tied for 3rd with the Yankees, and only finishing 5 GB the Red Sox. I can't imagine that happening, but it'd be the best season for the Jays in 20 years, so I'd be happy with it.

Of course, those Projected Standings also have a 3-way tie atop the AL West and every team in the NL West having at least 80 wins, so I don't know how seriously anyone can take them.

It's the nature of projections, which aren't really intended as specific predictions but rather a projection of the most likely talent level for each team. There's a reason you don't see teams getting projected for more than 88 to 90 wins, and only two teams are projected for 90+ losses. They're a middle ground of the likely performances for each team's talent levels, and that tends to wind up with most good teams projected for between 82-85 wins. The teams that do better than that are the ones that have most things break their way in terms of doing okay with injuries and having guys beat their projections.

That tie for the AL West mostly just represents the fact that all three teams are around a similar talent level on paper.

It's the nature of projections, which aren't really intended as specific predictions but rather a projection of the most likely talent level for each team. There's a reason you don't see teams getting projected for more than 88 wins, and only two teams are projected for 90+ losses. They're a middle ground of the likely performances for each team's talent levels, and that tends to wind up with most good teams projected for between 82-85 wins. The teams that do better than that are the ones that have most things break their way in terms of doing okay with injuries and having guys beat their projections.

That tie for the AL West mostly just represents the fact that all three teams are around a similar talent level on paper.

Good point. Though I still have a hard time imagining the Jays' talent level is that close to the Rays and Red Sox. Even if they've upgraded catcher, there are still too many question marks, and the last two years have shown that expecting anyone on the team (and I really mean anyone) to stay healthy for a full season is foolish.

If you want to see the cognitive dissonance in action, check out Bless You Boys. They blame the reaction on jealousy, rather than common sense.

Phils in 3rd place, not so bad.

BFIB

As much as I think the whole "AL East is the best!" is a tad overrated, I find it hard to believe no team from that division is going to win under 90 games. One of those teams will break away from the pack.

Malo

Banned
i just cant buy into that infield. every spot is a question mark. and how will 9th innings without Rivera look?
Eh not worried about the 9th. Robertson has been an elite reliever the last couple of years. That infield is bad though, which is why signing Drew makes perfect sense for them but supposedly they're tapped out for money and I don't believe that for a second.

I have them winning 90 games and one of the wild cards.

Opiate

I think the Tigers are suffering from Phillies syndrome: that is, they have had a great run with a great core of players, and now they can't imagine a future without them (or a future where their skill considerably declines).

I think the Tigers are suffering from Phillies syndrome: that is, they have had a great run with a great core of players, and they now can't imagine a future without them (or a future where their skill considerably declines).

It sucks when it happens but there isnt really anything else they can do. He is to good to let him leave, they could wait one more year and then give him what he wants but that would only save them $30m. Hopefully for their sake he doesnt suffer an injury that he cant recover from like a torn Achilles.

Sanjuro

Remy's interview this morning. :'(

Between battling cancer and this, cannot even fathom what is going through his head.

Opiate

It sucks when it happens but there isnt really anything else they can do. He is to good to let him leave, they could wait one more year and then give him what he wants but that would only save them $30m. Hopefully for their sake he doesnt suffer an injury that he cant recover from like a torn Achilles.

As a Cardinals fan, there clearly is something else one can do. The Cardinals did it, and it worked out quite well.

As a Cardinals fan, there clearly is something else one can do. The Cardinals did it, and it worked out quite well.

Meh the Cards are super lucky, most draft picks are total busts. If you try to build your team through the draft it usually doesnt work out. What should the Tigers do, let Miggy walk and just hope that some kid in their minor leagues will magically replace his production?

BFIB

Meh the Cards are super lucky, most draft picks are total busts. If you try to build your team through the draft it usually doesnt work out. What should the Tigers do, let Miggy walk and just hope that some kid in their minor leagues will magically replace his production?

Miggy and Trout would have hit free agency at the same time right, had Miggy not signed this extension?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom