• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Playoffs 2017 OT:It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

mjp2417

Banned
so, what were your thoughts when the lesser astros shut out your yankees two years ago in yankee stadium?

That the wild card game is a dumb attempt to manufacture the excitement that would organically emerge from a traditional one game tiebreaker following a pennant race made by the same league that once decided to determine WS home field advantage based on an exhibition game? I know it's difficult to imagine, but some of us actually hold opinions about baseball that aren't entirely predicated on what would or would not be most beneficial to our favorite team. I also happen to believe that the LDS should be a best of 7 despite the fact that this would significantly hurt the Yankees chances this year against Cleveland, that Altuve is the AL MVP this year over Judge, etc.

boxter432

Mauer is probably the 3rd best Twin all-time even with his low numbers of dongs & ribeyes. His contract will not and should not prevent the front office from signing other players. He provided about $147 million in surplus value from 2004-2010, and people would've burned Target Field to the ground if they let him leave as a free agent after they opened the stadium. I'm not going to cry about the Pohlads spending money on the best player that the team has had in a generation, and one who happens to be a hometown guy.

The Mauer hate is basically the stupidest fucking thing imaginable, and it's a perfect representation of how awful Minnesota sports fans are.
Coincidentally, it's one of the only things I hate more than the Yankees!

thanks for calling me stupid and an awful fan.

once he stopped catching the contract immediately turned sour. he was paid like his 2009 MVP numbers.

He's a hall of famer, was absolutely beyond great through 2010, not sure why its a sin to say .260 and a handful of homers, and low RBI while still hitting into as many Double plays as sluggers like Miggy and Albert, out of a $23MM first basemen/DH is disappointing and beyond reproach. and yes, since Ricky Nolasco was our biggest signing in franchise history, I think a guy taking up 20-30% of the payroll potentially prevented a few bigger (not huge) or bullpen support

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
thanks for calling me stupid and an awful fan.

once he stopped catching the contract immediately turned sour. he was paid like his 2009 MVP numbers.

He's a hall of famer, was absolutely beyond great through 2010, not sure why its a sin to say .260 and a handful of homers, and low RBI while still hitting into as many Double plays as sluggers like Miggy and Albert, out of a $23MM first basemen/DH is disappointing and beyond reproach.
I'm not saying you specifically are stupid, or an awful fan. I'm saying that in general the fans are awful, and that the idea that Mauer is somehow an anchor on the team is a shitty take. Look, there's a history of the best player on Minnesota sports teams being blamed for their problems (see also: Randy Moss, Kevin Garnett, Joe Mauer, Ricky Rubio...) by the fanbase, and it gets pretty old.

He stopped catching because he had a fucking brain injury. He's not lived up to the contract numbers, sure. But between injury and age that's probably to be expected. Almost none of these giant contracts work out (anytime I need a laugh I go look at Miguel Cabrera's remaining contract). He was injured in 2011 and 2013. He spent a long time recovering from his concussions. He looked pretty damn good at the plate this year, he continued being an exceptional hitter with RISP, and he should win the Gold Glove at first base. Out of a lot of fun things this season, watching Mauer turn back into Mauer was probably the best part of it.

Lunar FC

Rockies Lineup

Blackmon CF
LeMahieu 2B
Gonzáles RF
Arenado 3B
Story SS
Parra LF
Reynolds 1B
Lucroy C
Gray P

😬😬😬

I'm not saying you specifically are stupid, or an awful fan. I'm saying that in general the fans are awful, and that the idea that Mauer is somehow an anchor on the team is a shitty take. Look, there's a history of the best player on Minnesota sports teams being blamed for their problems (see also: Randy Moss, Kevin Garnett, Joe Mauer, Ricky Rubio...) by the fanbase, and it gets pretty old.

He stopped catching because he had a fucking brain injury. He's not lived up to the contract numbers, sure. But between injury and age that's probably to be expected. Almost none of these giant contracts work out (anytime I need a laugh I go look at Miguel Cabrera's remaining contract). He was injured in 2011 and 2013. He spent a long time recovering from his concussions. He looked pretty damn good at the plate this year, he continued being an exceptional hitter with RISP, and he should win the Gold Glove at first base. Out of a lot of fun things this season, watching Mauer turn back into Mauer was probably the best part of it.

How did Mauer's concussion happen? Collision at the plate?

Yet another reason why if I was a GM I'd never risk such a premium bat to play such a dangerous position. I'd have him at 1B long before - and I know even his best power year (29 HR's) he was never a power guy, but isolating him at 1B and letting him to bulk up with no concern over loss of speed and agility (it's 1B after all) could have helped with that.

The Twins fucked Mauer, not the other way around.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member

Yet another reason why if I was a GM I'd never risk such a premium bat to play such a dangerous position. I'd have him at 1B long before - and I know even his best power year (29 HR's) he was never a power guy, but isolating him at 1B and letting him to bulk up with no concern over loss of speed and agility (it's 1B after all) could have helped with that.

He took a vicious foul tip off the mask. But he played prep football and caught for 10+ years, so it wasn't his first concussion. Between that and Morneau getting kneed in the head during an amazing season and Corey Koskie's career being cut short, brain injuries have not been kind to the Twins.

gamz

Still not as bad a Dusty fucking Prior. Same draft.

clemenx

Banned
Dbacks are great and I can see them going all the way.

Rocktober is so fun tho. Even if in paper they look overmatched.

Gray is legit so they can win.

3N16MA

Banned
I hope Greinke signs my card during ST.

I also got the D-Backs. Ace on the mound and good overall team.

Got the diamondbacks.

Surprised to see Joe going with CC in game 2, but I'm not mad about it.

I'm assuming Tanaka has game 3. It would be regular rest for Sevy.

Top Bottom