• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Playoffs 2017 OT:It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Beckx

I have mixed feelings on robot umps. In many ways, reading the ump has been a big part of baseball for over a century. It's not that bad when they are consistent, but it's so painful to watch balls called strikes when it's a big moment. Infuriating really.

I hate the robot ump idea. Not the least because umpiring is a potential future path for women in the game. Plus there's a difference between the rule book and the way the game is actually played and I don't know what you do about that.

My issue is a few of the dinosaur prima donna umps that stick around. The game Angel Hernadez called last week was predictably dreadful.

mjp2417

Banned
I hate the robot ump idea. Not the least because umpiring is a potential future path for women in the game. Plus there's a difference between the rule book and the way the game is actually played and I don't know what you do about that.

My issue is a few of the dinosaur prima donna umps that stick around. The game Angel Hernadez called last week was predictably dreadful.

Unless I'm missing something, you're still going to need the same number of human umps on the field to call plays at the base, foul balls, HBP's, etc. Not sure why this would affect employment numbers.

JambiBum

I mean when you think about it, home plate umpires have the hardest official job in all of sports. They have to make calls for every play and they get scrutinized more so than others as well. I think the problem comes from the fact that each ump has their own versions of what they think the strike zone is so it causes inconsistencies. If they were actually held to the rulebook zone I think it would be a lot better

sangreal

See above for the data a robot ump would see. 4 calls would be definitely overruled (two for each team). (More if you want to change the players' expected strike zone to the rule book zone.)

I think the high calls are BS but he's giving it consistently (if it's over the middle - high outside is not)

These plots have a number of flaws, the most glaring of which is the fact that the strike zone is 3d and they are 2d plots

Can’t complain about pulling CC there even as well as he was pitching up until that point. Stakes are too high and game was too close to afford giving up an extra run or two. We got us a game here GAF

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

If they went to automated strike zone, the actual defined strike zone would need to be expanded. Batters would literally just sit there for walks cause the zone would be so defined and small. Would make for very boring baseball.

Top Bottom