• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB World Series 2015 |OT| Disrupting the time continuum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this on twitter. Applies more to Royals fans on twitter than those on GAF, but still funny:

That's fine and all, but here's where the ball went.

chGYy4B.jpg

I can also selectively screen cap the pitch when it hit the backstop! It missed him by 30 feet, guys!

Six inches to a foot, it doesn't matter, it was still far enough above his head that he's need to jump upwards to have it hit him. That's the point.

Bullshit. That's the point. It was EXACTLY at head level. Did you even watch the game?

Mifune

Mehmber
Have you been watching this postseason? Teams were clearing benches after their opponents tried to CALM THEIR ANTAGONISTIC HOME CROWD.

There was some barking going on after that pitch. If Ventura returns one of his own, the benches clear there and the ump gives out a warning. No question.

I can guarantee the Mets wouldn't clear the bench. Because they're a little more reined-in than that.

Yes, just ignore the context of that series that included multiple hit batsmen and some near-meltdowns. That was a vicious series between two teams with a lot of bad blood.

Needless to say, the situations aren't remotely similar.

Didn't it start with someone coming inside on a guy? Then a hit batter? Then retaliation? There's always a catalyst that takes a series from friendly competition and makes it ugly. Something like a 98 MPH fastball at the leadoff hitters' head can do that.

I get it. You guys think the pitch was awesome, that it set the "tone." Don't whine if the same thing happens in return. It's bush league, and I hate it when my team does it just as much.

Didn't it start with someone coming inside on a guy? Then a hit batter? Then retaliation? There's always a catalyst that takes a series from friendly competition and makes it ugly. Something like a 98 MPH fastball at the leadoff hitters' head can do that.

I get it. You guys think the pitch was awesome, that it set the "tone." Don't whine if the same thing happens in return. It's bush league, and I hate it when my team does it just as much.

it was due to the fact Hansel Robles quick pitched while the batters head was down

it was due to the fact Hansel Robles quick pitched while the batters head was down

Is that more or less bullshit than Syndergaard saying yesterday that "he had something special" for Escobar? That's the only pitch he missed by even close to that far. He aimed it head high and inside.

I think if he comes inside at chest level, or aims at his legs or something, this is probably a non-issue. You'd get some griping and then the game would go on. Instead, he threw full power at a dude's head. What if he misses by six inches?

When Herrera threw a fastball a foot behind Lawrie earlier this year, he was ejected. It was a bush league move, in response to Oakland hitting our guys.

Mifune

Mehmber

Cool that you didn't read what I wrote.

If you and your team really think that's bush league then I guess the Mets have a shot after all. I mean, if it's that easy to get in their heads, the Royals aren't as strong as I thought they were.

Cool that you didn't read what I wrote.

If you and your team really think that's bush league then I guess the Mets have a shot after all. I mean, if it's that easy to get in their heads, the Royals aren't as strong as I thought they were.

I did read it. My point is bad blood and combative situations start...with pitches just like the one we saw tonight. This series could shift in a negative direction because an immature 23 year old wanted to show what a big tough man he is.

As far as the Royals go, they aren't posting on here. I'm sure they are sleeping and will regroup for tomorrow. All they have to do is take one game in NYC, and that's exactly what they're going to do. :) I will continue being respectful of the Mets team and what they've accomplished, but I'll be looking for Syndergaard's tears after game six.

Oh please. The Royals were saying how Murphy is too comfortable and they pitched him inside. Thor in his first World Series game in a must win, threw high and tight to a hitter that swings at the first pitch of anything. I get it you're salty because he threw high and tight to one of your players. Calling it Bush league is a little much my good man.

Oh please. The Royals were saying how Murphy is too comfortable and they pitched him inside. Thor in his first World Series game in a must win, threw high and tight to a hitter that swings at the first pitch of anything. I get it you're salty because he threw high and tight to one of your players. Calling it Bush league is a little much my good man.

Throwing inside is part of the game. No pitch to Murphy has come within two feet of his head. Don't misconstrue those two things, as they are very different. I've already said I'm perfectly fine with the Mets pitching inside to our guys. They've been doing so already some this series, and it's totally normal.

With that, I'm done for the night. GG to the Mets, they were the better team out there tonight. Here's to the Royals bouncing back tomorrow.

I guess as long as you are tall and blonde and pretty you can throw at someone's head and brag about and you'll be called tough and a gamer but if you're even a bit dark you're labeled a troublemaker. Baseball still has an optics problem, a warning should have been issued.

I guess as long as you are tall and blonde and pretty you can throw at someone's head and brag about and you'll be called tough and a gamer but if you're even a bit dark you're labeled a troublemaker. Baseball still has an optics problem, a warning should have been issued.

Are you familiar with Bob Gibson? At any given time you can hear a baseball lifer or old timer wax poetic about Bob Gibson throwing behind a batters ear if they showed him up or were too comfortable in the box.

This is a picture of Bob Gibson.
aamo189.jpg

The pitch wasn't even in... it looked worse because the batter was so close to the plate and dove into the pitch. If if was waist level might have been a strike. I just don't get the outcry at a pitch that didn't even appear to be in at all.

The pitch wasn't even in... it looked worse because the batter was so close to the plate and dove into the pitch. If if was waist level might have been a strike. I just don't get the outcry at a pitch that didn't even appear to be in at all.
Its the same issue with the Toronto series, you get a group of uncultured, new baseball fans that are fighting for legitimacy.

Beckx

“If they have a problem with me throwing inside, they can meet me 60ft 6 inches away" - Noah

I love you, Noah.

That doesn't even make sense though. If they don't have a problem with it they can bat closer to the mound? Have some tea?

I tried to find the vid of a younger, faster Mark McGwire charging the mound to flatten some dude who threw at his head but it's not on YouTube. All that comes up is Nolan Ryan giving noogies to Robin Ventura. Maybe Thor is suggesting he can channel that.

That ball wasnt even close, it was up and inside a bit but hes laning over plate, look how KC has been pitching Murph, he was almost hit multiple times, KC fans crying.

Are you familiar with Bob Gibson? At any given time you can hear a baseball lifer or old timer wax poetic about Bob Gibson throwing behind a batters ear if they showed him up or were too comfortable in the box.

Bob Gibson is like a top-5 pitcher all time so he's maybe the exception

Throwing at the head wasn't his style, anyway (not that he never did it of course). He'd break your ribs, though

This whole issue is pretty easily solved as "if my team throws at someone, it's OK. if my team gets thrown at, it's not." Which is basically baseball and sports in general

prag16

Banned
Mets really are outmatched but really still don't want to lay down here. Hope they continue to give it their all

I wouldn't say that. (Wouldn't have said it when you said it either.) How do you figure?

So thats a valid reason to throw a potentially career ending pitch at a guy's face? Now say something about the Royals being classless you fucking hypocrite.

Except..

Pitch Fx had it 1.5 inches off the plate.

The pitch was nearly on the black. Stop with this whining.

Choomp

Banned
I wouldn't say that. (Wouldn't have said it when you said it either.) How do you

The beginning of the game there it seemed the Royals had Noah's number and we're going to score a bunch of runs, only difference being the Mets started to hit too. However, Syndy dominated after those first two innings, which I kind of didn't see coming.

About this first pitch thing, I don't see the issue. It wasn't supposed to hit him and it didn't, he's allowed to keep guys uncomfortable up there if he wants. Its especially a good idea to someone who swings a lot first pitch, and a team overall who's been on fire. Regardless if they hit Noah the first few innings or not, they were definitely bothered by it, and he settled in eventually and did a pretty great job overall.

Sigma722

It's an 8PM game. On a Saturday...in New York...the day before November.

So it's going to be cold? Last night's started at 8 too. I guess I'm just not following you.

Yesterday the Mlb.com app said 7pm eastern but now it says 8pm. At least it doesn't conflict with Halloween anymore (yes my town has "official" trick or treating times).

Oh ok. I guess they made a mistake then.. Sounded like it was going to be 8 eastern for the entire series from the beginning.

Sanjuro

So it's going to be cold? Last night's started at 8 too. I guess I'm just not following you.

Because during the week you can get away with prime time games without question. The weekend still has a healthy audience that can watch during the afternoon.

I mean, I usually watch games late, so it's not a big deal to me. Doesn't make it any less dumb.

I think every game this series is starting at the same time, so no surprise there.

Halloween comes every year, your team in the World Series is a crapshoot. You have to have your priorities straight tonight!
We're taking our son to the zoo for trick or treating, but hopefully we'll make it back for the opening pitch. ;)

I'm never super confident with Young on the mound, but he's earned the spot as much as anyone.

Choomp

Banned
Mets really need to hit Chris Young hard tonight in case Matz goes shit side. Hopefully they carry some of that hitting from last night into the next two games

Mets really need to hit Chris Young hard tonight in case Matz goes shit side. Hopefully they carry some of that hitting from last night into the next two games

I've never seen Matz pitch, but his stats look nice. We traditionally do well against lefties, but the Mets also got plenty of looks at Chris Young's crazy fast 89 mph heater. Starting pitcher advantage is likely to the Mets, but this series is unpredictable.

May Young's flyballs stay forever high and inside the confines of the playing field. Amen.

I've never seen Matz pitch, but his stats look nice. We traditionally do well against lefties, but the Mets also got plenty of looks at Chris Young's crazy fast 89 mph heater. Starting pitcher advantage is likely to the Mets, but this series is unpredictable.

May Young's flyballs stay forever high and inside the confines of the playing field. Amen.

Mats is just up and down. He looked awful in the first series but then looked great against the cubs.

Choomp

Banned

Matz is solid. Problem is he's pitched like 4 major league games compared to Young's experience, still kind of unpredictable there. Mets need to be selective and disciplined against Young.

Matz needs to get his curve working. If it's on, he's money, if it's off, well he's hittable because his other stuff isn't quite there yet.

His curve is a flat 70 pitch when it's on though, devastatingly good pitch.

Does anyone know if they have any late night public transit for the met games? I remember LIRR not having much service by the time the games end.
Of course they do. They bulk up the 7 and LIRR before and after the game. 7 superexpress into Manhattan for the win. You won't have any issue getting home using either method if you're going.

aamo189.jpg

yeah I'm familiar with Bob Gibson. *rolleyes* still doesn't negate what I said.
Escobar doesn't even crowd the plate that much, other hitters have done more damage. and Thor's purpose pitch did jack shit in the end. like I said, there is an optics problem...

it was in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom