• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB World Series 2015 |OT| Disrupting the time continuum

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

I get that certain people in here are excited but the "MESTS", "Mets gon' Mets" type of responses are sort of silly. They made it to the world series (which isn't over).

Anyway, very impressed by the Royals bullpen, their defense and speed but most especially their insane ability to put the ball in play.

they struck out over 130 times less than anyone else. they struck out around 550 times less than the cubs the leaders this year. when you only have 973 strike outs for the season it means you put the ball into play a lot.

and when you get the ball into play, things can happen such as errors that lead to runs.

It's why I was saying before this that they were going to be a lot harder to stop than the cubs. Cubs have an explosive offense that can easily get derailed, KC focuses on getting the ball into play and using their speed to force errors or just get little hits and get extra runs on things that for other teams would become someone on third.

The mets have plenty of talent, they just need a couple more pieces to really feel complete. (not that they are a bad team, clearly they aren't, but a few areas feel weaker than others) They will likely be a competitive team for a few years and might get another chance at this. I mean this isn't over yet, but KC isn't the type of team that will let 3 games go away, heck I would be shocked if there was a game 7.

Remember all those momentum posts from yesterday? And the purpose pitch changing the dynamic of the series?

There is no momentum in baseball. There are talented players. There are hot and cold streaks. There is good and bad luck. There is Murphy and Cespedes fielding on one team, and Rios fielding on the other.

LKZbzvS.png

Choomp

Banned
The mets have plenty of talent, they just need a couple more pieces to really feel complete. They will likely be a competitive team for a few years and might get another chance at this. I mean this isn't over yet, but KC isn't the type of team that will let 3 games go away, heck I would be shocked if there was a game 7.

They're a year or two ahead of schedule, I feel like getting Cespedes was the "oh shit there's a shot this year" move. Hopefully the retain or add some pieces and the pitching staff powers another playoff run next year.

For now though, this isn't over. Lets take it game by game.

LJ11

Infield D has been shit for a looong time, shit like this catches up to you. Gave up two games on D alone to be quite honest, well we gave runs away at the very least. We give up runs, they take them away with their D. Brutal way to lose.

Contact hitters never die. It'd be fitting if Volquez could clinch the title.

It's funny, contact is constantly brought up, but if we look at the contact rates of the 2nd half Mets, they're damn close to KC, but the Mets are just an average defensive team and the narrative was long ago written with regards to "contact."

BizzyBum

What's with Collins and his fixation with Tyler Clippard? Take that dude out after the first walk...

Also, I find it funny how every Mets fan was adamant about trying to resign Cespedes at any cost and now everyone is about ready to toss his ass out on the street.

prag16

Banned
Two absolutely brutal losses that should have been in the bag. Murphy giveth and taketh away. Clippard just taketh away, period. No joke, I was lobbying him to be left off the postseason roster (I know, was never gonna happen). He's been absolutely terrible since early September.

Terry with a couple odd decisions as usual (beyond still viewing Clippard as the 8th inning guy, inexplicably; I trust Robles and Gilmartin more at this point). I personally wouldn't have sent Matz back out there for the 6th; he looked a little shaky in the 5th, and this is the world series; no margin for error.

If he was willing to go to Famila for a 5 out save, he should have done it one batter sooner, without a doubt. That one is mind boggling. Yeah, Familia's second blown save, but this time he did his job; got the ground balls.

Duda may be trying to get a little too cute going the other way against the shift. Worked out a couple times, but lots of weak contact, and enormous baserunning error by Cespeces doesn't help any.

Fuck. It's definitely not over. Volquez can be had, and you know deGrom is itching for redemption back in KC. But the Mets never make it easy on themselves. We'll see what they've got left in the tank. Let's minimum push it back to KC; let them celebrate in their own house if that's how it ends up, rather than desecrate CITI field. :(

BumRush

Also, I find it funny how every Mets fan was adamant about trying to resign Cespedes at any cost and now everyone is about ready to toss his ass out on the street.

Better to realize now then after giving him $20M+ / year.

It's not over...but regardless of how the rest of the series plays out, these games have shown that the Mets shouldn't overspend on Yo and Murph, they need improved defense and Clippard can't be anywhere NEAR the 8th next year.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What's with Collins and his fixation with Tyler Clippard? Take that dude out after the first walk...

He has been playing lazy on the field. I know there have been reports of it, but before the postseason, you didn't really see that. Plus it helps that he was hitting every other pitch.

Realistically though, I don't think any Mets thought they had a chance at resigning him.

To book a last minute flight to New York, or to bet on game 6 in KC. Decisions, decisions.

How would you even get into the game at this point?

I'm very interested to see how Volquez is feeling tomorrow. What a horrible situation to be in.

No matter the outcome, KC needed one game in NYC and took it tonight. I'm hoping they close out tomorrow, but I'll stick with my prediction of KC in six.

prag16

Banned
Clippard can't be anywhere NEAR the 8th next year.

Nevermind next year, try tomorrow night. He's a free agent next year. Won't be back. Addison Reed is under contract through 2017 (though arbitration eligible). I've seen enough from him to feel okay going into next year with him as the 8th inning guy. Give Robles the 7th.

In the meantime there's still at least one more game to be played. I will attempt to enjoy it. As others have said, while it's extremely difficult to make it to the world series, and you want to make it count, at the same time this Mets team is a year or two ahead of schedule and should have a solid 3-5 year window to strongly content with all the young talent they have stockpiled. Just have to make a few good moves here or there and the rest of this decade should overall be a good time to be a Mets fan.

LJ11

Nevermind next year, try tomorrow night. He's a free agent next year. Won't be back. Addison Reed is under contract through 2017 (though arbitration eligible). I've seen enough from him to feel okay going into next year with him as the 8th inning guy. Give Robles the 7th.

In the meantime there's still at least one more game to be played. I will attempt to enjoy it. As others have said, while it's extremely difficult to make it to the world series, and you want to make it count, at the same time this Mets team is a year or two ahead of schedule and should have a solid 3-5 year window to strongly content with all the young talent they have stockpiled. Just have to make a few good moves here or there and the rest of this decade should overall be a good time to be a Mets fan.

Bro, there's no such thing as schedules, win when you can because you may never get another chance. Teams around you get better, players get hurt, talent doesn't develop as it should, etc. I know it looks good on paper, but fuck, I remember feeling that way a decade ago. We got the arms now, but with the way pitchers go down these days. There's light, but it can easily go out.

After market tickets are tanking in New York, heh.

Man, watching him talk about it.. Would suck so bad. I'm sure tomorrow will be even more important for him.

Oh, wow. Hadn't even thought of that. I should've put it together when they started leaving in the top of the 8th.

Compare that to the Royals losing game seven at home last year and the entire crowd kept chanting, "Let's go Royals!" for a full minute.

LJ11

Oh, wow. Hadn't even thought of that. I should've put it together when they started leaving in the top of the 8th.

Compare that to the Royals losing game seven at home last year and the entire crowd kept chanting, "Let's go Royals!" for a full minute.

KC has amazing fans, the rest of us are not worthy.

prag16

Banned
Bro, there's no such thing as schedules, win when you can because you may never get another chance. Teams around you get better, players get hurt, talent doesn't develop as it should, etc. I know it looks good on paper, but fuck, I remember feeling that way a decade ago. We got the arms now, but with the way pitchers go down these days. There's light, but it can easily go out.

Of course. But as fans, what are we even doing if we sit here EXPECTING a train wreck just because "lolmets". Looking good on paper is all you can do at this point with regard to 2016+. And our paper definitely looks better than most. No reason to ignore that fact while getting nervous it'll all come crashing down. Tom Brady could tear up his knee next week too and then watch from home as the Jets take the AFC East.

And as I said, in the meantime, there's still a game to be played tomorrow night. A game in which the Mets are favored (for whatever little that's worth). Let's go out there and win three one game series. Stranger things have happened.

I agree. If the Mets pulled off the W tonight, there would have been a million "Kansas City Bills" posts. You can make dumb chirps about every franchise in professional sports.

No there wouldn't have. KC is known for good fundamentals while the mets are not.

You mean, the same mests that are in the world series while the other teams are sitting on their asses enjoying the off season? Those same mests?

Sooner or later, we knew Murphy was gonna Murph. Either on the field or the base paths.

They literally have been there before.

you have problems you know that?

LJ11

Of course. But as fans, what are we even doing if we sit here EXPECTING a train wreck just because "lolmets". Looking good on paper is all you can do at this point with regard to 2016+. And our paper definitely looks better than most. No reason to ignore that fact while getting nervous it'll all come crashing down. Tom Brady could tear up his knee next week too and then watch from home as the Jets take the AFC East.

And as I said, in the meantime, there's still a game to be played tomorrow night. A game in which the Mets are favored (for whatever little that's worth). Let's go out there and win three one game series. Stranger things have happened.

Word, you never know, it's just a damn shame we're blowing our chances.

Pretty sure Cespedes will be going under the knife as soon as this series is over, shoulder is fucked. Not making excuses for him, but I'm betting that shoulder is messed up pretty good.

KC has amazing fans, the rest of us are not worthy.

Nope, GAF told me we're all douches for celebrating crazy, improbable comeback wins.

The reality is our town has sucked at sports forever. Much longer than yours (exceptions perhaps for Cleveland). So forgive us for getting overly excited when we're not in the cellar. Forgive us for not walking out on our team in the 8th inning.

It's something the 10 million new Mets fans who will put their Yankees gear back on after this series might not understand.

LJ11

Nope, GAF told me we're all douches for celebrating crazy, improbable comeback wins.

The reality is our town has sucked at sports forever. Much longer than yours (exceptions perhaps for Cleveland). So forgive us for getting overly excited when we're but in the cellar. Forgive us for not walking out on our team in the 8th inning.

It's something the 10 million new Mets fans who will put their Yankees gear back on after this series might not understand.

You're a fucking clown.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
No telling how tomorrow will go, Ed's got a lot on his mind plus we're still in NY. That said, if this series goes back to KC, fuck home field, that wont mean shit in comparison to having Morales back in the order. Thats one more swinging dick for the Mets D to deal with.

Choomp

Banned
Schattenjäger;183713813 said:
At least this will make it easier not to sign Daniel Murphy next year

Actually a positive though. His amazing NLDS-NLCS will not be forgotten though but unless he carries the Mets on some huge comeback run it'll be easier to let him go

No telling how tomorrow will go, Ed's got a lot on his mind plus we're still in NY. That said, if this series goes back to KC, fuck home field, that wont mean shit in comparison to having Morales back in the order. Thats one more swinging dick for the Mets D to deal with.

What?!? You don't like Wade Davis watching four pitches while he stand in the batter's box? It's tradition!

I concur.

Based on the inanity you've been posting tonight, this makes me happy. I mean, you seem like a pretty good guy that somehow loses all bearing on reality when it comes to the Mets. It's not my fault your sometimes center fielder likes to punt the baseball to left, or your second baseman doesn't know how to play second base.

I like your team (except for that douche Thor, and the sometimes homophobe Murphy). Everyone else seems like a decent enough dude and they play with a lot of passion. It has made for a fun series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom