• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB World Series 2015 |OT| Disrupting the time continuum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardinals are picking up Jaime Garcia's option next year

I never thought there was a chance of that happening until mid-2015, wow. Wonder how long until he goes on the DL?

Choomp

Banned
2 errors highhandedly lost this WS for the Mets.
Wright's game 1 error and Murphy's game 4 error. Without those Mets would be up 3-1 now.

This is the world fucking series, you can't keep making mistakes like that and expect to win, especially against a team like the Royals that's feasts on them.

Exactly.

Fuck everything still though

Sanjuro

I get that certain people in here are excited but the "MESTS", "Mets gon' Mets" type of responses are sort of silly. They made it to the world series (which isn't over).

Anyway, very impressed by the Royals bullpen, their defense and speed but most especially their insane ability to put the ball in play.

It's not silly. Mets fans are some of the nicest and most self deprecating fans I've ever met.

Until they are holding a trophy, I'm within my specific legal obligation to crack some jokes and reference 86. They did the same to me for years in good fun.

Hate to say it but Royals easily have this in the bag if they win at home. I dont see the Mets making it to game 7. Was looking foward to them winning too.

Hate to say it but Royals easily have this in the bag if they win at home. I dont see the Mets making it to game 7. Was looking foward to them winning too.

Hell no. Mets still have the best pitching staff in baseball, and have bats that can get hot at the drop of a dime, especially against our mediocre starting pitching.

This series is not over until the final out is recorded. And that's why it must end tonight.

Choomp

Banned
The Royals' game is making you feel like you beat yourself. It's infuriating.

I'm not saying we would definitely be up in this series if some errors hadn't happened, but there's certainly a chance if Cespedes wasn't in PlayStation Land the whole series and some of the other guys too remembered how to hit. Not to mention some questionable decisions by TC and some other errors peppered in there. The whole Mests thing is idiotic but they were givin it to em a few points in this series. Like holy shit guys it's the World Series this is not the time for this

diffusionx

Gold Member
I love this Mets team and it's been a great ride this year. But last night's game broke me. I'm not even sure I can watch game 5. Yoenis and Murph have both been hideous, for Murph it's regression to the mean but man... props to Yoenis for all he did in the regular season but this team needed him this series and he has been a huge liability.

At this point I'm seriously wondering if it would have been better if they just won 78 games and I could not even give a shit at this point. I hate sports.

I see we've reached the stage of rejoicing in old Mets highlights from before most of you were even born.

This series isn't completely over, people!
It's only 90% over.

At this point I'm seriously wondering if it would have been better if they just won 78 games and I could not even give a shit at this point. I hate sports.

Never. As crushing as last year's ending was for the Royals, you always take a World Series appearance. The Mets have been phenomenal this year, particularly the second half. You guys showed up an entire nation of sports writers who gave the division away to the Nationals before the first pitch. You have a core group of pitchers who are young and talented.

There is nothing shameful about being the National League champions, other than that whole pitchers pretending to hit business. Even if you lose this, hold your head high.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I see we've reached the stage of rejoicing in old Mets highlights from before most of you were even born.

This series isn't completely over, people!
It's only 90% over.

Pretty sure the one guy that posted the highlights was poking fun of Mets fans.

The Dark Knight will right the ship. He will avenge these terrible loss and lead the way for our ace DeGawd and THOR!

I highly doubt this gets close to a game seven, but if it does I'd love to smash Thor into submission in KC. AL rules? Welcome to the big league, kid. Kendrys Morales is the one the true god of thunder.

I highly doubt this gets close to a game seven, but if it does I'd love to smash Thor into submission in KC. AL rules? Welcome to the big league, kid. Kendrys Morales is the one the true god of thunder.

Thor-Twitter-600x636.jpg

Why the heck are you so insecure about this right now, lol? Up 3-1?!

He knows our 3 aces are all coming up

You took insecurity from my post saying Harvey won't toss inside at a dude's head? Oookay. Aside from a sweep, we couldn't be sitting prettier. My worries about this series disappeared last night when Murphy went full Murphy mode.

Two of which who abandoned their fastballs (you know that won't happen again). One of which knocked them on their asses.

Harvey, no decision, 5 hits, 3 earned runs, 4.50 ERA.
DeGrom, 1 loss, 6 hits, 4 earned runs, 7.20 ERA.
Syndergaard, 1 win, 7 hits, 3 earned runs, 4.50 ERA.
Matz, no decision, 7 hits, 2 earned runs, 3.60 ERA.

A team full of aces that has us shaking in our boots. None of them abandoned their fastball, what silly revisionism. They got hit by the best contact team in baseball.

Johnny Cueto is the only ace to show up so far this World Series. Only your hitters can save you now.

This makes me like him somewhat. :)

Choomp

Banned
You took insecurity from my post saying Harvey won't toss inside at a dude's head? Oookay. Aside from a sweep, we couldn't be sitting prettier. My worries about this series disappeared last night when Murphy went full Murphy mode.

Harvey, no decision, 5 hits, 3 earned runs, 4.50 ERA.
DeGrom, 1 loss, 6 hits, 4 earned runs, 7.20 ERA.
Syndergaard, 1 win, 7 hits, 3 earned runs, 4.50 ERA.
Matz, no decision, 7 hits, 2 earned runs, 3.60 ERA.

A team full of aces that has us shaking in our boots. None of them abandoned their fastball, what silly revisionism. They got hit by the best contact team in baseball.

That's exactly what I meant. It's silly for you to resort to stupid jabs at the Mets with a lead like this, things looking extremely bright for the Royals.

That being said, The Dark Knight, the deGrominator(yeah that's right im goin full mests now bitchez), and Thor can all pitch great games. If they want to get paid eventually and show everyone how legit they are, they oughta step it up. The Mets have come too far and had such a great season up to this point to go down like this. It's also time for Yo and Murphy to get their heads outta their asses, that's a thing that needs to definitely happen.

Also fuck me brother got tickets to the game again, leavin me out like Game 1 of the NLCS ffs

That's exactly what I meant. It's silly for you to resort to stupid jabs at the Mets with a lead like this, things looking extremely bright for the Royals.

Don't selectively read my posts. I wrote this not even four posts ago:

Tragicomedy said:
The Mets have been phenomenal this year, particularly the second half. You guys showed up an entire nation of sports writers who gave the division away to the Nationals before the first pitch. You have a core group of pitchers who are young and talented.

There is nothing shameful about being the National League champions, other than that whole pitchers pretending to hit business. Even if you lose this, hold your head high.

People are looking to channel their frustration somewhere and I'm fine being the scapegoat, but let's no pretend I've said anything even partially as inflammatory as all the, "Fuck these douche Royals and their asshole fan posts" this series. I could go back and quote them, but you already saw them and know who the culprits are.

I've had some really good discussions with level headed fans like you. I've praised your team and fans repeatedly. I've openly stated I like this Mets team. That doesn't mean I can't respond to bullshit or celebrate my team doing well.

Also, that sucks about the tickets. My mom works for the Royals so I get to see Facebook pictures of her and my dad at the stadium, same as last year's World Series. I'm stationed eight hours west in Colorado Springs and am stuck jealously watching on the TV.

Choomp

Banned
Don't selectively read my posts. I wrote this not even four posts ago:

People are looking to channel their frustration somewhere and I'm fine being the scapegoat, but let's no pretend I've said anything even partially as inflammatory as all the, "Fuck these douche Royals and their asshole fan posts" this series. I could go back and quote them, but you already saw them and know who the culprits are.

I've had some really good discussions with level headed fans like you. I've praised your team and fans repeatedly. I've openly stated I like this Mets team. That doesn't mean I can't respond to bullshit or celebrate my team doing well.

Also, that sucks about the tickets. My mom works for the Royals so I get to see Facebook pictures of hee and my dad at the stadium, same as last year's World Series. I'm stationed eight hours west in Colorado Springs and am stuck jealously watching on the TV.

Fair enough, you're a cool guy. It's just darn frustrating how this series has gone so far

I think it's worth saying then at this point how fun of a team the Royals are and it's been genuinely hard to root against such a likeable organization.

BumRush

Tragic...I have no problem with your posts. You're excited your team is winning and that's awesome. Don't act like that "Mets fans should be happy, you did well" post you quoted is similar to the majority for your posts though, please. That's just not true.

On topic...I think Harvey has a good outing tonight but I'm worried that yoenis has completely lost all of his abilities. I feel like I'm watching that scene in space jam when they get their skills stolen...in real life.

Tragic...I have no problem with your posts. You're excited your team is winning and that's awesome. Don't act like that "Mets fans should be happy, you did well" post you quoted is similar to the majority for your posts though, please. That's just not true.

On topic...I think Harvey has a good outing tonight but I'm worried that yoenis has completely lost all of his abilities. I feel like I'm watching that scene in space jam when they get their skills stolen...in real life.

well we need someone to bring in that secret stuff brah

I think tonight comes down to two factors for the Mets: hitting and how long Harvey can go.

The Mets bats haven't been producing like they have in the past, and I don't see you guys winning with three runs. The random homeruns are good, but they aren't stringing together anything aside from game three.

You need Harvey to go deep and earn that ace tag. The Royals have outscored the Mets 14-2 from the sixth inning on. None of your starters are lasting long enough and your bullpen hasn't looked very impressive. Even if you ignore the Murphy error, we're hitting Familia fairly easy. He gave up the game one homer, and back to back hits last night.

It's not all on the bullpen, though. The Royals are playing freaky good starting in the sixth. We outscored the Blue Jays 22-5 there, and the Astros 14-6. It makes no sense and shouldn't be sustainable, yet it is.

zroid

Banned
It's not all on the bullpen, though. The Royals are playing freaky good starting in the sixth. We outscored the Blue Jays 22-5 there, and the Astros 14-6. It makes no sense and shouldn't be sustainable, yet it is.
I'm just gonna say, since that 22 runs mark looks awfully embarrassing, that 9 of them came against Latroy Hawkins, Ryan Tepera, and Cliff Pennington. :lol

Even ignoring those 13-5 is still a pretty decisive number though!

It's not sustainable. It's happening, but it's not sustainable.

Royals remind me of the 2013 Cardinals that hit like .340 with RISP for the whole season. Even that wasn't sustainable - and that went on for 162 games not just the playoffs

I'm just gonna say, since that 22 runs mark looks awfully embarrassing, that 9 of them came against Latroy Hawkins, Ryan Tepera, and Cliff Pennington. :lol

Even ignoring those 13-5 is still a pretty decisive number though!

LaTroy HITkins should have retired last year. I do think the way he handled himself and your organization embraced him was great, but he shouldn't have been anywhere near the mound during the playoffs. I always hate it when bad stuff happens to good players, or they hang on for too long.

My most bittersweet moment this year was watching the Royals tee off of R.A. Dickey. He's been my favorite pitcher in baseball for several years now, and I wanted to get the win off your bullpen that day. The last great knuckleball pitcher, with maaaaaybe one or two guys in the minors coming up. :(

Yeah...that's insane. They're a perfectly constructed world series team to be honest.

It's not sustainable. It's happening, but it's not sustainable.

Royals remind me of the 2013 Cardinals that hit like .340 with RISP for the whole season. Even that wasn't sustainable - and that went on for 162 games not just the playoffs

To be fair, nothing the Royals did last year or this year makes any damn sense. We leadoff with Escobar, for god's sake. The dude never walks, rarely takes a damn pitch, has a terrible on base percentage, swings at everything...and is killing it as our leadoff guy. We lose games when he's not up first. All he's done is tie for the longest postseason hitting streak of all time at 14 games. He's 12-24 when leading off the inning. He just tied Jeter with 22 postseason hits as the most ever for a shortstop, and he very likely passes him before we're done. Oh, and he's one of the best defenders in baseball. Dude is our unquestionable MVP.

Let's toss this out there: the Royals just surpassed the 1996 Yankees as the greatest playoff comeback team in history.
http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/11/01/royals-comeback-world-series-game-4-mets

zroid

Banned
My most bittersweet moment this year was watching the Royals tee off of R.A. Dickey. He's been my favorite pitcher in baseball for several years now, and I wanted to get the win off your bullpen that day. The last great knuckleball pitcher, with maaaaaybe one or two guys in the minors coming up. :(

This being his first postseason appearance, I'm glad he was able to have one great (and season-saving!) outing in Arlington, even if the more recent one will likely stick in the memory banks longer.

Dickey will always be a divisive fixture in Blue Jay land due to the prospects traded, but anyone who doesn't appreciate the great things he's done for this team is an idiot. He devours innings and he had a tremendous 4 months from June to September this year. The man is to be treasured.

2 most costly WS errors of all time are Bill Buckner and now DAniel Murphy from last night

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25360054/daniel-murphys-costly-error-up-there-with-bill-buckners-in-86

For Buckner he dropped his team win probability -40% and Murph was a -35% chance

In terms of win probability, yeah, but Familia and Clippard have to get a lot of the blame this time.

Buckner's error happened with 2 outs. Murphy's error happened with 1 out, and the next two batters got hits. So even if Murphy makes the play, if Familia gives up those two hits don't the Royals win 4-3?

Sanjuro

In terms of win probability, yeah, but Familia and Clippard have to get a lot of the blame this time.

Buckner's error happened with 2 outs. Murphy's error happened with 1 out, and the next two batters got hits. So even if Murphy makes the play, if Familia gives up those two hits don't the Royals win 4-3?

Buckner's error also came in an already blown ball game.

zroid

Banned

that first hit after the error was the seeingest eyeiest slow bouncer of a single I've ever seen btw

brutal for the metssssss

Beckx

the problem with what-ifs is that you can't say the conditions would be identical for each at bat after that, and thus no reason to assume it plays out the same way. It could have been better, worse, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom