• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB World Series 2015 |OT| Disrupting the time continuum

Status
Not open for further replies.

shem935

Banned
There's just something magical about a Royal fans calling others bandwagoners LMAO

Many of us have suffered for the better part of our natural lives watching the royals suck ass the entire time. Forgive those of us who have been silent for that time for being a little bit happy about how well they have been playing.

An equally interesting question is how many "die hard" Royals fans were created oh about 13 months ago. Before that did they even have fans??

To answer your questions:

1) A metric shit ton of new fans were created last year, most of them in the wild September run to make the playoffs.

2) KC average 17-22K fans per game, regardless of how the team does. 1995-1997 were probably the worst years in recent history, hovering at the 17-18K mark per game. The team experienced a relatively significant uptick last season, and that culminated this season.

The bandwagon is in full effect. Hop on board. Just don't hop over to the Cardinals (who we hate) when we return to our losing ways. That would be the equivalent of a Mets fan returning back to their big brother Yankees when the tides turn.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Many of us have suffered for the better part of our natural lives watching the royals suck ass the entire time. Forgive those of us who have been silent for that time for being a little bit happy about how well they have been playing.

You have every right to be happy. No different from us Mets fans.

zulux21

mests

MURPHEYLOL

Does MLB GAF always get like this during the World Series? I regret not starting to post here earlier in my GAF life

nah usually there is a clear cut evil team
giants
cards
yankees

ect

so it's everyone rooting for the other team and the few fans of the evil team eventually just laughing as their evil team wins :/

there is no evil team this year thus both sides want to treat the other side like the evil team, trying to make KC out as douches or Mets as clowns ect :(

prag16

Banned
Yup. You guys have done well to get here. So let us not begrudge each other our respective happiness.

See, talking like it's already in the bag! I knew Royals fans were douches!

(The post a few above me is right... without a clear cut evil team, the dynamic is certainly interesting.)

I'm happy for Royals fans. Except for Tragicomedy.

I'm only happy for the non-bandwagon Royals fans. Except for Tragicomedy.

there is no evil team this year thus both sides want to treat the other side like the evil team, trying to make KC out as douches or Mets as clowns ect :(

I said back when the final four was established that I liked all four teams. I obviously want the Royals to finish what they started last year, but I'd be cheering on the Blue Jays if they had beaten us. Royals, Blue Jays, Mets, and Cubs are all really likable teams.

I think KC has the shortest window of the bunch. This is our win or bust year.

I'm hurt since I never said a bad thing to you or about you. I'm the guy who told a fellow KC poster to win with grace when he was gloating at Blue Jays fans.

I'll do my very best to carry on!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Yup. You guys have done well to get here. So let us not begrudge each other our respective happiness.

I will continue to hate on the Royals as long as there is a series to be played. As much as I give the Royals shit, I wouldn't be mad if they won it (considering how long it has been). Royals fans have suffered for a long time.

I concur.

I like the Mets. They got some ridiculous pitching depth. They are really fun to see how crazy hot they got. Remind me of last years Royals, but pitching depth is in reverse.

But I'm a Royals fan first and foremost. I've been through some dark days. It sucks we couldn't vanquish an evil team, but a world championship is a world championship.

Please end this tomorrow boys.

Since we were all happily posting weird similarities between the scores in this series and in '86: No team has come back from a 3-1 deficit in the World Series since the Royals in 1985.

The real shame tonight was Clippard the Big Red Dog, Familia, and Murphy's error wiping out the very impressive performances by your two rookies, Conforto and Matz. Both dudes were on point in a high pressure situation. Other than going one inning too long, Matz put up the most impressive starting performance yet for a team of aces. Conforto was a one man wrecking crew.

Mifune

Mehmber
I like the Mets. They got some ridiculous pitching depth. They are really fun to see how crazy hot they got. Remind me of last years Royals, but pitching depth is in reverse.

But I'm a Royals fan first and foremost. I've been through some dark days. It sucks we couldn't vanquish an evil team, but a world championship is a world championship.

Please end this tomorrow boys.

Come on, wouldn't you rather win in front of your home fans? You don't need to end it tomorrow. What's the hurry?

Come on, wouldn't you rather win in front of your home fans? You don't need to end it tomorrow. What's the hurry?

We tried that last year and it backfired spectacularly. The only thing worse than losing a World Series is losing your second consecutive World Series at home.

nah usually there is a clear cut evil team
giants
cards
yankees

ect

so it's everyone rooting for the other team and the few fans of the evil team eventually just laughing as their evil team wins :/

wtf whats wrong with giants? they only recently started to win.

My response to MadBum last year:

bWvpfsh.jpg

I hate the guy, but I can't even hate him. More stunned than anything else.

What is Cespedes wearing around his neck? He looks very uncomfortable out there, and every time I see that bulky neck-warmer or whatever it is, it makes me think it's part of the problem.

It's been a very interesting playoffs this year thanks to so many tough luck teams getting in.

Houston is actually the oldest MLB city with no championships (taking over that unfortunate distinction from San Francisco in 2010). The Rangers haven't won either. Cubs, obviously.

It will be fun to see either the Royals or Mets win it. Game 7 with Syndergaard returning would just be the best, not ready for it to end tomorrow.

The Nightmare Before Christmas. It's slowly becoming a Halloween tradition at my house, but the game was tonight so we waited.

We're boring It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown types.

Or a lesson about the small sample size of a whopping 30 games. Especially in a parity driven sport like baseball.

30 games isn't insignificant in terms of playoff games. Tons of managers never come close to seeing that many.

It still doesn't mean anything about Yost. I'm firmly in the team succeeds in spite of him mentality. He's really likable and I think motivates the players, but some of his moves just kill me.

30 games isn't insignificant in terms of playoff games. Tons of managers never come close to seeing that many.

It still doesn't mean anything about Yost. I'm firmly in the team succeeds in spite of him mentality. He's really likable and I think motivates the players, but some of his moves just kill me.
Getting 30 playoff games under one's belt is an achievement of its own, sure. The results of those 30 games is just as prone to streaky stuff as 30 games in April/May is my point. Even if the level of competition is a tick higher.

The behind-the-scenes duties of the manager probably vastly outweigh the ingame tactical decisions in importance. Keeping 25 guys happy, motivated, and prepared can't be an easy feat.

Nope, GAF told me we're all douches for celebrating crazy, improbable comeback wins.

The reality is our town has sucked at sports forever. Much longer than yours (exceptions perhaps for Cleveland). So forgive us for getting overly excited when we're not in the cellar. Forgive us for not walking out on our team in the 8th inning.

It's something the 10 million new Mets fans who will put their Yankees gear back on after this series might not understand.

Yankees wouldn't do that and vice versa. Although can be a tad uppity when it comes to the expectation of championships as I tried to explain to a friend why it wouldn't be a bad idea to rebuild with the farm club and his response was how do you justify charging so much for tickets. But how else are you suppose to build a fan base if you don't win every once in a while?

What?

I concur.

Edit:

No matter what he did, I don't think they would have re-signed him.

What what?

Chris Rock, die hard Mets fan, salutes you!

LoIacnS.jpg

You're taking your cues from a celebrity? Don't.

Neither team is evil. We're all awesome. Let's just have fun and watch baseball tomorrow night.

No let's stay angry and break bottles over our heads tomorrow.

Yankees wouldn't do that and vice versa. Although can be a tad uppity when it comes to the expectation of championships as I tried to explain to a friend why it wouldn't be a bad idea to rebuild with the farm club and his response was how do you justify charging so much for tickets. But how else are you suppose to build a fan base if you don't win every once in a while?

You calling me a liar?!? Let's FIGHT! Or just click on the picture and see the Yankees fans become Mets fans literally before your very eyes!

Source

You could do a lot worse than classics like the Peanuts specials. I put up with a family of Paranormal Activity die-hards for awhile.

Gross. Well, we have a five year old to protect. My wife
and I
would probably freak out watching that, so I can't even imagine what it would do to him
and me

zulux21

well they did pay and basically support one of the biggest cheaters for 15 years in Berry Bonds :p (I don't have an in general evil feel towards the giants and I think berry should be in the hall of fame (with an *) but it was just an example why one might not like the giants)

but in regards to my use of evil here, evil is the team people want to see vanquished, because the giants won recently they were clearly evil last season and needed to be vanquished so new blood could take over.

really I think only the Yankees truly quality as evil in general as they are the only team I can think of that if they went the next 20 years without making the playoffs 99% of people still likely wouldn't root for them to win it unless they were yankees fans to start with :p

but you can bet for sure I won't be rooting for the giants, red sox, or cards for the next decade given the fact that they have two or more world series wins in the last decade.

unless my team is in it I typically root for the non chicago cub team that has had the most time since they last won the world series. If it's close (as it is this season) I root for the team which is more beneficial for my team.

Since I root for the white sox, and Kc is in their division, it's in my best interest if KC wins it as that makes for 9 or 10 games against the previous world series champs, which since the white sox rarely ever sell out for KC games historically will lead to extra ticket sales and extra revenue for my team, which while we are likely only talking about 500k or so it won't be a huge swing, but might just be enough to help the white sox afford a player in a trade when they are in the thick of things next season :p

KC had better close this out in 5. As a Dodgers fan, let me tell you that I'd want no part of de Grom and Syndegaard again. Don't even let them pitch again in the Series.

You calling me a liar?!? Let's FIGHT! Or just click on the picture and see the Yankees fans become Mets fans literally before your very eyes!

Source

not buying it. like I said, knowing Mets fans, it''s extremely doubtful that the hardcore and Even casual base would "switch" but someone is always caught in the hype. which is fine by me as it gets more people into Baseball.
thank you for defeating the Mets. the other half of the money will be in your bank account once the series is done.

Gross. Well, we have a five year old to protect. My wife
and I
would probably freak out watching that, so I can't even imagine what it would do to him
and me

nothing scary in them. just a bunch of "gotcha!" moments.

I understand what Murphy did in the NLDS and CS but he is not a good baseball player. The Dilson Herrera era will soon begin. Tyler Clippard is also terrible which leads to Terry Collins trotting out Familia for 4 or 5 out saves. It is what it is and I'm not going to go crazy about it. I don't see the Mets winning three in a row but I do hope Harvey has a special game in him and can take the series back to KC.

2 errors highhandedly lost this WS for the Mets.
Wright's game 1 error and Murphy's game 4 error. Without those Mets would be up 3-1 now.

This is the world fucking series, you can't keep making mistakes like that and expect to win, especially against a team like the Royals that's feasts on them.

clemenx

Banned
I understand what Murphy did in the NLDS and CS but he is not a good baseball player. The Dilson Herrera era will soon begin. Tyler Clippard is also terrible which leads to Terry Collins trotting out Familia for 4 or 5 out saves. It is what it is and I'm not going to go crazy about it. I don't see the Mets winning three in a row but I do hope Harvey has a special game in him and can take the series back to KC.

He's a good baseball player, but he's as average as it gets. This fanbase always has loved him based on good stints with the bat here and there.

He's not a player worth getting attached to.

Talon

I get that certain people in here are excited but the "MESTS", "Mets gon' Mets" type of responses are sort of silly. They made it to the world series (which isn't over).

Anyway, very impressed by the Royals bullpen, their defense and speed but most especially their insane ability to put the ball in play.
We will once the Mets stop Metsing in comical fashion.

Jesus, who replaced Link with Brian McCann?

zulux21

2 errors highhandedly lost this WS for the Mets.
Wright's game 1 error and Murphy's game 4 error. Without those Mets would be up 3-1 now.

This is the world fucking series, you can't keep making mistakes like that and expect to win, especially against a team like the Royals that's feasts on them.

i know flow is a thing and what not, but even if murphy makes that play, the next two batters drive in the tying and winning run before the final out is recorded.

and with wright's error in the 14th (unless there is a different error than that one that I am forgetting), it's not like we got to see what would happen next, but the end easily could have been the same. especially since the mets hadn't been able to score in extras at all themselves.

I know it's easy to blame single moments like that, but the fact is if the mets had chances to get more runs and didn't manage to. KC on the other hand is pouncing on anything the mets are leaving open. call it luck one way or another, but it's not like those errors were just because the player sucked. KC's speed and continued attacking helps force those errors as it puts extra stress on the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom