• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Did it look like he was giving you oral pleasure?

I squatted that far to grapple him I almost suplexed him.

I await you twisting that out of proportion...

Nice! How was getting around Phuket? My only concern is all the people dying on the motor scooter rentals each year, which seems a lot more dangerous than fighting in the stadium, as it were, haha.

I never used a scooter, but the place rents them out if you want one. I personally got around the island just by jumping in the back of pickup trucks and giving them $10-15 for hitching a ride. That and getting back to my accommodation from Patong late at night was easy: some dude just came up to me on a scooter and offered me a ride back for $10-15. Good times.

Personally I never saw anything dangerous on the roads. But yeah, the road infrastructure (or lack thereof) is crazy as fuck.

I know it's very popular with us farang, but I don't recommend Tiger Muay Thai.

If you are either a "dude" or a "bro" who did wrestling in high school/college and take copious amounts of steroids then Tiger Muay Thai is the place for you. But personally I don't recommend it at all. The average guys who trained there just came across as douchebags and it mainly comes across as a tourist trap unless you're a professional fighter.

But the infrastructure surrounding TMT (pharmacies, bars, restaurants, shops for gear, etc) is great.

caesar

Banned
If you are either a "dude" or a "bro" who did wrestling in high school/college and take copious amounts of steroids then Tiger Muay Thai is the place for you. But personally I don't recommend it at all. The average guys who trained there just came across as douchebags and it mainly comes across as a tourist trap unless you're a professional fighter.

But the infrastructure surrounding TMT (pharmacies, bars, restaurants, shops for gear, etc) is great.

Yeah, if you want an authentic muay thai training experience stay away.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yep yep, definitely wouldn't go to TMT, have heard nothing but bad things. Overcrowded, inauthentic, students neglected unless they pay for privates, etc. It gets a lot of exposure because it's a full-featured MMA gym that UFC fighters take training camps at, but I wouldn't be going to Thailand for BJJ, haw.

industrian

Yep yep, definitely wouldn't go to TMT, have heard nothing but bad things. Overcrowded, inauthentic, students neglected unless they pay for privates, etc. It gets a lot of exposure because it's a full-featured MMA gym that UFC fighters take training camps at, but I wouldn't be going to Thailand for BJJ, haw.

SuWit is legit as fuck. Nothing fancy, shiny or proclaiming "We're the best! Train with us Mr. Rich Foreigner!" Just straight-up ghetto fighting like the Thais do there:

EzlSTsl.jpg

IQHeYIs.jpg

YvKWu2a.jpg

6tUkjsT.jpg

GxLNCJP.jpg

Uhh that drives me crazy every time I hear it. Cock fighting = two helpless, innocent animals being forced to maim or kill each other against their will; mma = two humans who choose to fight each other because they have no employable skills.
Actually roosters want to fight and are quite capable. They wouldn't have much of a life outside of the fight game. They're too aggressive for other domestic uses and have no education or employable skills to fall back on.

MjFrancis

This white boy in TUF thought this shit was a hugging competition. Holy shit, he didn't throw one strike in the first round...he just kept holding on...
It's stuff like this that make me feel fortunate to miss most of this season. I watched all the way until that kick to the head KO episode, but even then I was fast-forwarding through most of the them until the fights started.

It's kind of a shame since the production values have gotten a lot better, too.

FACE

Banned
Actually roosters want to fight and are quite capable. They wouldn't have much of a life outside of the fight game. They're too aggressive for other domestic uses and have no education or employable skills to fall back on.

BAD 47: Rooster Fights.

thirty

Banned
I think I'm going to train MT in Thailand for a few months. Currently researching the logistics of it. I've done lots of BJJ but haven't ever done any striking training; imagine it will be a cool experience building up from scratch over there. Maybe get a fight or two scheduled before I leave if I don't suck too badly. Doubt my knees will hold up to all the running but I'll try to work through it, get rid of some of the kinks this month in preparation.

This is gonna be interesting...
i haven't gone but was doing research to go before i damaged my knee. there are blogs everywhere with people posting their experiences. make a 2-3 month vacation out of it, go to sidyodtong in pattaya, 13 coins in bangkok, then the slew of camps in phuket. which to choose is up to you, you might wanna not train like a thai and spend more baht to take pictures with the likes of roger huerta, then choose tiger muay thai. personally, i'd choose accommodations on the beach relatively close to the camps then spend the day rate to visit the various camps before deciding which camp to stay at long term. get a feel for the vibe, talk to other fighters, feel out the trainers. oh, i read the morning jog is optional so don't worry about that.

good luck and please post pics. oh, could you send me some thai shorts. i'll gladly pay pal you for cost and shipping.

http://youtu.be/WI85Eh77weY

http://www.muaythaitrainingcamps.com/category/blog/

http://www.sityodtongmuaythai.com/en/home.html
http://muaythaidragon.com/
http://www.muaythai-thailand.com/
http://www.tigermuaythai.com/

thirty

Banned
SuWit is legit as fuck. Nothing fancy, shiny or proclaiming "We're the best! Train with us Mr. Rich Foreigner!" Just straight-up ghetto fighting like the Thais do there:

how is dragon muay thai in comparison? i heard nothing but great things about dragon. that there's always a trainer willing to work with you and that most speak english, etc.

industrian

how is dragon muay thai in comparison? i heard nothing but great things about dragon. that there's always a trainer willing to work with you and that most speak english, etc.

No idea. I walked by Dragon Muay Thai (it's literally across the road from Tiger Muay Thai) a few times and it looked pretty "fancy." From what I heard it's relatively new, which may explain why everything looks "fancy." But no idea.

I'd really like to go back and train for another month in SuWit either this year or next, but unless my girlfriend could join me for either part or all of the trip I wouldn't do it. Simply because being faithful was a challenge on par with staying upright after taking a left hook from Mark Hunt square in the face.

Like I said back then though, if this relationship ever ends I'm on the first plane back there.

muddream

Banned
I think I'm going to train MT in Thailand for a few months. Currently researching the logistics of it. I've done lots of BJJ but haven't ever done any striking training; imagine it will be a cool experience building up from scratch over there. Maybe get a fight or two scheduled before I leave if I don't suck too badly. Doubt my knees will hold up to all the running but I'll try to work through it, get rid of some of the kinks this month in preparation.

This is gonna be interesting...

Cool Tips for Cool People™ (Muay Thai Edition):

- The training in Thailand isn't actually better than training elsewhere (it's often worse), but since you're training at least once per day, you'll end up in great shape and pick things up rather quickly.

- It's hard for an inexperienced person to tell which gyms are tourist traps, but it's generally best to stay away from places with scary animal names and high prices. Ask people who are capable fighters & somewhat intelligent (Phil Baroni consequently chose Tiger Muay Thai).

- The more crowded/popular a gym is, the less likely you're going to get proper 1on1 time with a trainer who gives a shit. You'll often see these gyms with rows of foreigners kicking bags for an hour with shitty technique. It's a workout, but that's about it.

- If you want to fight, please decline if it's against an old, fat, alcoholic Thai who pretends to get knocked out by a bodyshot in the 2nd round, very bad karma.

- Ko Tao and the bigger neighboring islands are the best place to be. Much less sex tourists, full moon party, scuba diving. Chiang Mai is really pleasant as well, but there's no ocean. Instead you get significantly less humidity, mountains and stuff like the elephant nature park.

- Street vendor food is theoretically the best choice because it's fresh, tasty and cheap. There's an outside chance of catching E.coli because the vendor couldn't locate an actual restroom, still worth it.

- The gear is so cheap that everyone can afford (and should buy) Fairtex. Top King makes great shinpads as well.

caesar

Banned

You had any fights out there industrian? I had a couple but I think my opponents were just cab drivers or something cos they weren't very good.

industrian

You had any fights out there industrian? I had a couple but I think my opponents were just cab drivers or something cos they weren't very good.

I'm an upper-beginner-level who weighed 270lbs ... if that answers your question. :p

Ideally I'd like to train like a machine, get to a decent mid-intermediate level, under 200lbs and go back next year and have a fight. Even if they only pay US$200 to fight. :p

Right now I'm at 240lbs and have just resumed training after a year out through illness. I've got some catching up to do.

caesar

Banned
I'm an upper-beginner-level who weighed 270lbs ... if that answers your question. :p

Ideally I'd like to train like a machine, get to a decent mid-intermediate level, under 200lbs and go back next year and have a fight. Even if they only pay US$200 to fight. :p

Right now I'm at 240lbs and have just resumed training after a year out through illness. I've got some catching up to do.

Ah right you're a big dude, how tall are you? I'm 5"11 170lbs so it wasn't too hard for me to get a fight. Yeah the fights don't pay very much, if at all, but $200 can go a long way in Thailand!

Vio-Lence

Banned
Vio-friend, are you keeping up with The Americans? I think this is my new favorite.

I didn't watch yesterday's episode, but I have to agree that it's the best new show on Television. It's my current favorite airing at the moment. I'd second Chamber's recommendation to everyone, its great.

The new season of The Walking Dead has been incredibly shitty. The only other show I'm watching at the moment is Justified. I'll probably sub to HBO when Game of Thrones returns at the end of the month.

Vio-Lence

Banned
If you have Amazon Prime I suggest watching the other seasons. I finally have a reason to watch something on it.

I do have Prime. I watched the first 4 seasons of Sons of Anarchy and the first two seasons of Downton Abbey on there with my wife. Are the first 3 seasons of Justified available on there or just the first 2?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I do have Prime. I watched the first 4 seasons of Sons of Anarchy and the first two seasons of Downton Abbey on there with my wife. Are the first 3 seasons of Justified available on there or just the first 2?

All 3 are on it. I'll finally be able to watch The Shield since that was also put up on Prime.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Timely post about Muay Thai training in Thailand. I graduate from University this April and was thinking of going to train for maybe 2 months or so. I have some background in kickboxing, but have never done Muay Thai. Thanks for the recommendation of Suwit gym. I was having a little bit of a hard time sorting through what gym would be good to train at. Suwit looks exactly like what I was searching for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom