• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heel

Men and women in the same house. TUF is not even pretending to actually be about competition anymore.

Ariel dared to call it 'The Real World' to Dana lol.

I guess if they focus on the competition and background of the fighters (like this season, which proved to work ratings wise) instead of "WHO KISSED WHO?!" I don't have a problem with it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Ariel dared to call it 'The Real World' to Dana lol.

I guess if they focus on the competition and background of the fighters (like this season, which proved to work ratings wise) instead of "WHO KISSED WHO?!" I don't have a problem with it.

Even Real World cast members aren't locked in a house for 6 weeks with no ways of entertaining themselves. And that's not even touching on the absurdity of having 7-0 Ronda Rousey coaching against either 7-0 Cat Zingano or Miesha "Just coast for the last round" Tate. Uncle Fester will be first one crying when the fights are terrible.

dream

But seriously, Dominator Cruz hasn't defended his title in over 18 months. Why has he not been stripped yet?

Heel

But seriously, Dominator Cruz hasn't defended his title in over 18 months. Why has he not been stripped yet?

Dana said recently that it's time to call him in for a chat.

I think at this point Barao has defended the interim title longer than Cruz has defended the actual title in the Ultimate.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Facebook_status_medium.jpg

lol

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If I'm Cruz, I'd probably rather drop the strap and come back into a "warm-up" fight than face Barao right off the bat.

You...still watch TUF?
I gave this season a shot because it looked like they were going to attempt to improve the production of it at least and were making more of an effort than the last godawful season and it has been much better. So yes drm, I stopped watching for a while but I watch it again now for this season. Problem?

I have to agree with our pedo friend cumber. This season is better than previous, but there is still little substance at the core of this show, and co-ed TUF house is just tired gimmick.

I'd actually prefer something like the old Tapout show where they traveled around the country in a bus going to regional shows and gyms scouting talent. That had more variety than this stale formula.

dream

I just hate the idea of Rousey being on the shelf until December because Dana has a hardon for trying to revive a show nobody gives a shit about. There was talk that Rousey would defend against the Cat/Miesha winner on the July card, which would be billed as a card that spotlighted both the best male (Anderson) and female fighters in the world. Now The Rousey Era is most likely going to be derailed for the sake of a TV show that nobody watches. Fuck TUF.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Yeah, I'm with Bas on the "if the takedown leads to nothing, don't score it."

But there seemed to be a lot of people in the PPV thread that would disagree.

Well some of us can think that, but we've seen fights before and know how things are judged. If you get a takedown, it's almost a round winner right there.

I just hate the idea of Rousey being on the shelf until December because Dana has a hardon for trying to revive a show nobody gives a shit about. There was talk that Rousey would defend against the Cat/Miesha winner on the July card, which would be billed as a card that spotlighted both the best male (Anderson) and female fighters in the world. Now The Rousey Era is most likely going to be derailed for the sake of a TV show that nobody watches. Fuck TUF.

He needs to cash in on Honda as quick as possible before she loses the title and does movies like Gina. Might as well have her coach the show while her star is shining.

ShaneB

TUF this season is great. It's the only thing the UFC has that resembles a competent tournament, so I don't see the problem and is pretty much their minor league. This season has cut the house drama, so it's clearly a major improvement.

dream

That is an interesting problem though. A girl fighter won't get over unless she's pretty, and no pretty girl fighter will stay in this sport if she has other entertainment options available to her. Being that every pretty girl fighter will get a shitload of attention and, subsequently, entertainment offers, what can Dana do to actually maintain a healthy girlfight division?

If there is a champ that is going to sit on the shelf for TUF I would pick Ronda. It's not like she's in a deep division with lots of contenders that I would like to see her fight. But yeah, TUF isn't worth it in that regard.

That is an interesting problem though. A girl fighter won't get over unless she's pretty, and no pretty girl fighter will stay in this sport if she has other entertainment options available to her. Being that every pretty girl fighter will get a shitload of attention and, subsequently, entertainment offers, what can Dana do to actually maintain a healthy girlfight division?

There is no way a girl that's as pretty as Gina would ever have the staying power of a GSP.
I just don't see it. A hot female fighter is going to leave once they have more opportunities that don't involve getting punched in the face

Heel

Bros, the Tim Bradley fight from last night is a CERTIFIED SCRAP. It's being replayed on HBO right now.

Sounds like we should've been watching boxing instead of the Ultimate last night. I heard he started trembling after the fight and got put in an ambulance.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So we're going to play the ratings/sales = quality game now?

Coach and casting choices are driven by ratings. TUF ratings are relatively shit and this is the latest attempt at saving the show. Lesnar failed, TUF Live failed, Jones/Sonnen is failing, now let's see what Honda and co-ed living can do.

Heel

Coach and casting choices are driven by ratings. TUF ratings are relatively shit and this is the latest attempt at saving the show. Lesnar failed, TUF Live failed, Jones/Sonnen is failing, now let's see what Honda and co-ed living can do.

You know what, friend, you're right. Looking at the numbers, this season really isn't as big of a success as I thought it had been. It's just better than the bottom of the barrel that was last season.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ified-real-husbands-of-hollywood-more/173216/

No HUT numbers can spin this. This is damning.

Looking at those numbers makes me ask myself why I'm not watching Big Bang Theory.?. The masses must love Big Bang Theory like I love GSP's LnP. I just don't get it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You know what, friend, you're right. Looking at the numbers, this season really isn't as big of a success as I thought it had been. It's just better than the bottom of the barrel that was last season.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ified-real-husbands-of-hollywood-more/173216/

No HUT numbers can spin this. This is damning.

The show hasn't drawn legitimately good numbers since the Heavyweight season. IIRC, the Kimbo/Roy fight drew 5 million viewers for whoever tried to argue with me that Slice wasn't a draw.

Dysun

Everything about TUF this year is better. Except the fights still suck. So not that much better when it's all said and done

Heel

ULTIMATE FIGHTER FX 9:00 PM 1.12 0.6
BAR RESCUE SPIKE 10:00 PM 1.55 0.8

Looks like Uncle Dana needs a Taffer Tip.

ULTIMATE FIGHTER FX 9:00 PM 1.12 0.6
BAR RESCUE SPIKE 10:00 PM 1.55 0.8

Looks like Uncle Dana needs a Taffer Tip.

"From my friends at StrikeForce, I got you some cans to feed to GSP. If GSP is successful at finishing, he will increase your female audience by 22%, which in turn means more male customers, and more money in your pocket!"

TUF has gotten so stale that even I can't stick with it anymore. I just fast forward right to the fights. I will say though, this is probably their most talented season. A lot of tough looking guys that I think will stick around for awhile after the show is over.

Something I've been saying for a year now.

Fun fact: Barao has held the interim belt longer than Cruz had the actual belt while active. And if Barao defends one more time he'll have more title defenses.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
If I were Dom I would voluntarily relinquish the belt, and demand to start "from the beginning" in the division.

Reasoning:

1) "The beginning" of the 135 division is still a top 10 fight due to the dearth of talent.
2) Fighting someone as skilled as Barao in your first fight after a two year "vacation" isn't the best way to test theories regarding ring rust.
3) Having 2-3 rebound fights before challenging for the belt will allow you to build an immense comeback angle.

But then again we're talking about a beige personality like the "Dominator" here. So what we'll get is Dom going straight into a title fight in order to cash a reasonable cheque, and getting either TKO'd via injury or 50-43'd by Barao. Then Dom will go on a 2-3 fight skid and decide to retire before he's 30.

TheChits

Today there is another solid line-up for the mmahour. Mike Chiappetta, Cesar Gracie, Braulio Estima, Firas Zahabi, Arlovski, and Aaron Simpson.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Dominick Cruz vs. Renan Barao is more a case of Dominick Cruz vs. Dominick Cruz's knee. If Cruz gets back to the same level he was pre-injury, he's going to beat Barao.

Something I've been saying for a year now.

Fun fact: Barao has held the interim belt longer than Cruz had the actual belt while active. And if Barao defends one more time he'll have more title defenses.
Neither of those are true statements, Tim. Cruz won the belt in October 2010, tore his ACL in May 2012. Barao won the interim belt 9 months ago.

Only reason Cruz was inactive from October 2011 to May 2012 was because they made him coach TUF which is always a huge delay.

muddream

Banned
MMA-Math, but Faber looked a lot more useless against Barao. Cruz' "pre-injury level" translates to "slightly better than Mighty Mouse, Faber and Benavidez", he's only been head and shoulders above his opposition in terms of actual height. Edgar comfortably beats both anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom