• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I'm really excited for Saki vs. Ghita II. #2 and #3 heavyweight--should be good shit. I'm hoping Ghita wins by brutal kicks, faces Schilt for their heavyweight title, and wins that too.
This is what we hoped for when Ghita was on his unstoppable streak only to get headkick KO'd in NYE :(
Ghita just doesn't match-up well with Schilt.

Murthel Groenhart vs Robin Van Roosmalen on Glory 7 (the Petro card in Milan) will be a spectacular scrap, holy shit. The combat sports gods have turned their favor towards us again with 3 straight Glory cards every other week.

FACE

Banned
I hope Ghita's infatuation with his hands has ended.

This is what we hoped for when Ghita was on his unstoppable streak only to get headkick KO'd in NYE :(

Murthel Groenhart vs Robin Van Roosmalen on Glory 7 (the Petro card in Milan) will be a spectacular scrap, holy shit. The combat sports gods have turned their favor towards us again with 3 straight Glory cards every other week.

It's a reward for suffering through two GSP fights in a relatively short period of time.

bone_and_sinew

I am legit more excited for these Glory cards than any combat sports card all the way until UFC on FOX 7, Gil da ? v Bendo.

bone_and_sinew

Indeed. May the Dutch underworld continue this fruitful relationship of laundering their money by funding the highest level kickboxing on the planet.

bone_and_sinew

Oh man, I'd like to see a stripper fight with knees to the head. That must have been great. All the stripper fights I've seen just featured UFC level punching.
I might have to call the bitc-wait this is GAF who won "Fairtex" or "Por Pramuk" from now on.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I was legitimately bummed out when Ghita got KO'ed by Schilt.

If Saki wins and gets the shot at Schilt, isn't he also a bad match-up? I missed the decision he lost to Schilt at Glory 4, but I am assuming he had a difficult time with Schilt partly because he is a foot shorter.

bone_and_sinew

I was legitimately bummed out when Ghita got KO'ed by Schilt.

If Saki wins and gets the shot at Schilt, isn't he also a bad match-up? I missed the decision he lost to Schilt at Glory 4, but I am assuming he had a difficult time with Schilt partly because he is a foot shorter.
Yep. Saki should be fighting at 205. It's Showtime had divisions outside of heavyweight and 155 before Glory bought them, hopefully Glory keeps those.

Saki has a "Mighty Mo" chance of landing a overhead right, but vs Schilt chances are slim.

for personal entertainment, i would rather enjoy watching 100% legit K-1 2012 champion Mirko Mirko vs Schilt

Wow. Hong Man Choi beat Semmy in a kickboxing match. HMC isn't as bad as I thought.

Some fights I'd like to see

Akebono vs HMC
Semmy vs Bigfoot
Bigfoot vs Sylvia
Arlovski vs Semmy

TheNatural

My Member!
LOL. And you thought Vadummy's voodoo conspiracy was bad? Check out Cesar Gracie:

"It was really weird because Nick does stuff that's very unique and he hasn't even (done it in fights), he does it in grappling," Gracie said. "It was kind of like wait a minute, this guy is like one step ahead, he knows exactly (what was going to happen)."

Gracie didn't place the blame on photos like Diaz did, instead he stated that it was "almost like someone from our team or something, not a current member (told GSP something). I don't know, it was one of those things, but I don't want to make out an issue at all."

Guru-Guru

Banned
I loved how Josh said he wasn't scared or trying to dodge Uriah Hall....Then did everything possible so he wouldn't have to fight Uriah in the quarterfinal.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
LOL. And you thought Vadummy's voodoo conspiracy was bad? Check out Cesar Gracie:

Shit, it's almost as if Georges has basic wrestling IQ. Real easy to see why the rest of the Gracie's talk shit about Cesar.

ufc-160.jpg

The proportions on this are killing me.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, it's almost as if Georges has basic wrestling IQ. Real easy to see why the rest of the Gracie's talk shit about Cesar.

Isn't he not a 'real' Gracie or something like that? Was born with a different family name but changed it? I can't recall but either way, this sort of behaviour is hardly out of the norm for members of the Gracie family. Hell, I'd say that even if he did change his name this sort of vague excuse-making proves that there's some Vale Tudo spirit in his veins.

Just a friendly reminder, I set the bar at 900k buys. Apparently the PPV was tracking at Anderson vs. Chael II numbers. Could it break 1m?
If so, it's a million people who saw GSP put on another snoozer. The more people who saw that fight, the worse it is for GSP and the UFC because a good portion of them won't be coming back.

Isn't he not a 'real' Gracie or something like that? Was born with a different family name but changed it? I can't recall but either way, this sort of behaviour is hardly out of the norm for members of the Gracie family. Hell, I'd say that even if he did change his name this sort of vague excuse-making proves that there's some Vale Tudo spirit in his veins.

He's a real Gracie. His mom is Helio's niece.

TheNatural

My Member!
If so, it's a million people who saw GSP put on another snoozer. The more people who saw that fight, the worse it is for GSP and the UFC because a good portion of them won't be coming back.

You say that like this is new. Canada is always GSP's big backing. Put a hockey game and a Bret Hart match on the show and it would break 5 mil there.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Give me a break, pauly. Folks have been whining about GSP for years now and he hasn't drawn under 600k buys since the fucking Serra fight. Georges can wrestlefuck a broom for 10 rounds and still outdraw everyone on the roster.

i54jgIB0ZS2nh.gif

I loved how Josh said he wasn't scared or trying to dodge Uriah Hall....Then did everything possible so he wouldn't have to fight Uriah in the quarterfinal.

Lol no shit. Josh has been looking for the easiest route possible this entire season as was Bubba. Both will be viciously KOd. I have a feeling Josh is going to be a total puss when Hall brutally KOs Bubba. I was like "really?" When they didnt have Hall fight Josh.

i have Ignashov vs Pettas in a VHS somewhere, let me find it on YT.

edit: there ya go, one of the best knee strike TKO's, Pettas lost the will to live right there:

http://youtu.be/RxX_F9nZTLA?t=4m56s

I remember Ignashov dabbling in MMA and losing to NJPW's Nakamura. I also remember shaking my head.

Give me a break, pauly. Folks have been whining about GSP for years now and he hasn't drawn under 600k buys since the fucking Serra fight. Georges can wrestlefuck a broom for 10 rounds and still outdraw everyone on the roster.

Not only that but they'll lure in other paying customers with the 'THIS TIME he'll face someone unlike anyone else he's ever faced before!" bs. Diaz with the elite standup (lol), Shields with the ground game, Koscheck got into his head, repeat ad infinitum.
Now it'll be Hendrickx with the devastating knockout power and amazing wrestling. And people will believe. And they'll pay too.

And you can't really blame GSP for fighting safe either. People still overwhelmingly pay to see it and he bruises like an overripe peach at the slightest touch so why would he be more agressive?

muddream

Banned

Most of those people are Canadians, females, victims of bullying or crossfit enthusiasts...they just wanna see their guy win and GSP is really good at delivering.

MjFrancis

We'll come back to see Hendricks send GSP to the mat with that left hand.

At least one of us in this thread called the Condit v. Hendricks fight a contender for FOTY. I'd agree. I'd also wager that Georges gets busted up easy enough and gets gassed quick enough that Hendricks has a puncher's chance of taking that belt. Think Matt Serra v. GSP I (
hopefully not II
). I'll buy that he has a puncher's chance, sure, but I also won't kid myself that this fight runs the risk of going to a boring decision should Hendricks gas before Georges.

Seeing Nate the Great get knocked out and Condit v. Hendricks were the only redeeming events last weekend. The main event just got me prepped for a good night's sleep. Spoiler: I slept like a king.

dream

Few things in life are more enjoyable than watching the already-exposed Nate the Great get exposed even further.

I make a feeble attempt at getting people to watch UFCs that I think will be good, but my friends only want to watch big names like GSP. The bars were packed--we had to drive around to find a place that was still letting people in.

I mean, you can say it's the casual fan's fault for not understanding what will be a good fight. My friends were saying how great this fight would be and I said, nah, Hendricks/Condit will be the main event and GSP/Diaz will suck. They just wanted to talk about the hype and the trash talk. They bought their wolf tickets.

However, the next ppv is Jones/Sonnen, and the casuals will be back for that for sure.

caesar

Banned
I kinda hope they don't make Diaz - Condit II. Don't really wanna see either of those guys lose 3 in a row.

Diaz - Kampmann

Condit - Saffiedene

Or other way round - assuming Nick doesn't retire of course.

MjFrancis

I make a feeble attempt at getting people to watch UFCs that I think will be good, but my friends only want to watch big names like GSP. The bars were packed--we had to drive around to find a place that was still letting people in.

I mean, you can say it's the casual fan's fault for not understanding what will be a good fight. My friends were saying how great this fight would be and I said, nah, Hendricks/Condit will be the main event and GSP/Diaz will suck. They just wanted to talk about the hype and the trash talk. They bought their wolf tickets.

However, the next ppv is Jones/Sonnen, and the casuals will be back for that for sure.
Aside from my wife and myself everyone else who watches the PPV's with us are casuals. They know GSP, Anderson Silva and Jon Jones - and those are the only names they care about. GSP especially is shrouded in a celebrity that overcomes his real-world performances. He can blanket fighters and squeeze decisions out of every matchup and he'll still sell. Though not as bombastic as the WWE the selling point behind GSP is the man and the drama surrounding his fights rather than the fights themselves.

Hendricks beating GSP is the only hope we have of making GSP an interesting fighter again. It will probably improve his celebrity, too, since everyone loves a good comeback story. GSP loses to Hendricks and fights Condit for welterweight contender: one can only dream.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I kinda hope they don't make Diaz - Condit II. Don't really wanna see either of those guys lose 3 in a row.

Diaz - Kampmann

Condit - Saffiedene

Or other way round - assuming Nick doesn't retire of course.

GSP vs. Hendricks
Ellenberger vs. Saffiedine (for No. 1 contender)
Condit vs. Marquardt
Rory vs. Kampmann

I figure that Diaz will retire or only remain for big money fights (which are now close to impossible for him now unless he bulks up to 185 or cuts to 155 - which would leave him under-powered and competing with his brother respectively.)

To be honest the hardest fighter to find a matchup for is Rory, as he's destined to be No. 1 contender within a year or so but would never cash the cheque whilst GSP is still there. So you either build him up to that perennial 2nd place and keep him there indefinitely, GSP steps aside, or Rory bulks up to 185 and tries his luck there. All of a sudden that rumoured GSP retirement plan looks more and more likely for Rory's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom