• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takuan

Let the ducking begin:

MMA Fighting said:
According to St-Pierre's trainer Firas Zahabi, the UFC welterweight champion suffered an achilles injury before the March 16 fight, and the injury may have worsened during the five-round bout.

"He wants to take a couple of months off because his two fights were very close to each other," he said, "and he wants to enjoy the summer. We haven't talked to the UFC yet, so we don't know what their plans are for Georges yet."
http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/2...ht-nick-diaz-with-an-injured-achilles-trainer

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I figure GSP can/will fight in August at the earliest. And if this hypothetical 20th Anniversary Supershow in November is going to host the equally hypothetical Silva vs. GSP then Hendricks am cry.

Takuan

I figure GSP can/will fight in August at the earliest. And if this hypothetical 20th Anniversary Supershow in November is going to host the equally hypothetical Silva vs. GSP then Hendricks am cry.

Hendricks will get his shot. GSP is now more concerned about protecting his legacy than he is about fighting the best of the best. He and his camp will come to the conclusion that Hendricks is the most winnable fight. There is no way in hell they see Anderson as a legitimate opponent.

Hendricks will get his shot. GSP is now more concerned about protecting his legacy than he is about fighting the best of the best. He and his camp will come to the conclusion that Hendricks is the most winnable fight. There is no way in hell they see Anderson as a legitimate opponent.

It's hard to say really. When you look at the overarching story, GSP is clearly declining. Knee injury, Fever, Achilles injury... when athletes start having health problems like this in quick succession it's the beginning of the end. The question becomes will GSP hedge his "legacy" by taking easier fights and trying to retire without his streak being broken by a loss? Or will he take the risky fight for the HUGE payday so he can retire even more comfortably then he already is?

The key thing here is that his legacy isn't actually hurt by a loss to Silva. He's a superstar and well loved in his nation and win or lose, will continue to be so. The only thing stopping his star power up there would be if he becomes a drug addict or beats his wife or something.

GSP might as well just fight Johnny for the quick payday and clear out his division, fight Anderson than retire and enjoy the rest of his life. Dude is in his early 30's and hasn't taken huge amounts of damage in his career. Even if he loses by a terrible KO by Anderson it doesn't take away the fact that hes the best WW ever and nobody will even match that.

GSP might as well just fight Johnny for the quick payday and clear out his division, fight Anderson than retire and enjoy the rest of his life. Dude is in his early 30's and hasn't taken huge amounts of damage in his career. Even if he loses by a terrible KO by Anderson it doesn't take away the fact that hes the best WW ever and nobody will even match that.

Someone will, undoubtedly surpass him. Records don't stand. The only thing is whether or not people will try to adjust for time difference if it doesn't happen soon. I.E. the "Royce is the greatest of all time because of HOW Ultimate was when he was dominating" argument.

Also, Hendricks is a legitimate threat as GSP does not have an iron jaw.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
How many one and two dimensional fighters does GSP have to outpoint before some of you get the picture?

iTMDakFilrnRM.gif
ibj4QmZegel5bQ.gif

All day. Hendricks running forward with his left fist out isn't going to come close to GSP's chin. I haven't been this relaxed about a GSP fight since, well, since Nick Diaz.

What relevance does Canderson have here? The great Chris Weidman already agreed to give Silver a rematch in Brazil later this year.

All day. Hendricks running forward with his left fist out isn't going to come close to GSP's chin.

Isn't that the same argument that people used in Hendricks v. Condit? Predicting that Condit would pick him apart and Hendricks would never land the left due to his poor movement?

When in actuality until he got hurt he was landing the left with regularity. Condit's chin is the only thing that kept that fight from ending early.

MjFrancis

Also, Hendricks is a legitimate threat as GSP does not have an iron jaw.
Concurred. The most legitimate opposition to GSP in the past five years has been Condit and now Hendricks. I'm betting on that puncher's chance. Hendricks has always been the underdog and I can't help but root for the Smiling Beard Man. He's the welterweight champion the UFC deserves.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I'm happy the Glory promotional material is not that bad, but holy shit at the Road to Glory stuff.

road-to-glory.jpg

Talk about an atrocious poster....

Oh, and I would be really surprised if the GSP-Hendricks fight happens before October.

Ænima

Concurred. The most legitimate opposition to GSP in the past five years has been Condit and now Hendricks. I'm betting on that puncher's chance. Hendricks has always been the underdog and I can't help but root for the Smiling Beard Man. He's the welterweight champion the UFC deserves.
Agreed. I also like Ellenberger's chances with GSP.

muddream

Banned
What worries me is that Hendricks was so tenative against Kos, who like GSP, was a takedown threat. Hendricks can only win this fight if he bullrushes GSP like he did Condit, otherwise he's just another power punching wrestler on a jab diet.

What worries me is that Hendricks was so tenative against Kos, who like GSP, was a takedown threat. Hendricks can only win this fight if he bullrushes GSP like he did Condit, otherwise he's just another power punching wrestler on a jab diet.

This is true of anyone who wants to beat GSP. Guys get their shot and then try to play it safe. It's stupid. Dudes who earn their shots through aggression and finishes can't hope to out point a point fighter. Stick with your bread and butter.

Ænima

This is true of anyone who wants to beat GSP. Guys get their shot and then try to play it safe. It's stupid. Dudes who earn their shots through aggression and finishes can't hope to out point a point fighter. Stick with your bread and butter.
You are right. Once they get taken down by GSP a couple times it is their natural instinct to be careful with their striking to avoid it happening again. Then it doesn't matter because they just get taken down again anyway. So might as well just go for broke the entire fight.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Bullrushing GSP is stupid. Alves tried it and he was taken down every time he tried to push forward.

Just accept the 50-45, playboys.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Bad news and badder news.

Bad news, no Russians on tonight's Bellator card.

Badder news, there will be heavyweights there.

edit: in true Bad MMA fashion, Marcus Davis vs Waachiim Spiritwolf is on tonight's card.

Takuan

How many one and two dimensional fighters does GSP have to outpoint before some of you get the picture?

iTMDakFilrnRM.gif
ibj4QmZegel5bQ.gif

All day. Hendricks running forward with his left fist out isn't going to come close to GSP's chin. I haven't been this relaxed about a GSP fight since, well, since Nick Diaz.

What relevance does Canderson have here? The great Chris Weidman already agreed to give Silver a rematch in Brazil later this year.

Hendricks is going to strategize around eating/absorbing the jab as he comes in and hitting Georges with a flurry. That's probably the only way he wins.

Those gifs really show how tentative GSP is with his striking. He instinctively moves back after each strike, with no intention of following up for more damage. Zero killer instinct.

Heel

iTMDakFilrnRM.gif
ibj4QmZegel5bQ.gif

This has to be the last time GSP threw a hook. Could you find a gif of him throwing a combo that isn't in SD?

Now that wrestling in the Olympics is all but dead, GSP should consider going for a gold medal in Fencing for 2016.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Hendricks is going to strategize around eating/absorbing the jab as he comes in and hitting Georges with a flurry. That's probably the only way he wins.

Those gifs really show how tentative GSP is with his striking. He instinctively moves back after eat strike, with no intention of following up for more damage. Zero killer instinct.
Exactly, 50-45. Hendricks keeps whiffing while trying to land the Serra shot and then we do this song and dance routine again with the next Boxer/Wrestler with KO power. Jake Ellenberger, come on down.

This has to be the last time GSP threw a hook. Could you find a gif of him throwing a combo that isn't in SD?

Sure, I'll post them when I get home tonight.

Why are we discussing the Goddamn Sleeping Pill. Dude is boring as fuck and hires social media people to do his tweets for him and powder his nose and butter him up and shit. Dude is phonier than Jon Jones. I hope he stays out for an extended period of time and they do an interim title fight between Ellen Burger and Johny With One N and make the winner of that fight defend that fucking title instead of being a Natural Born Runner Ducker holding out for a GSPayday. There's all these dealmakers making deals, I just wanna see some scrappin'.

Why are we discussing the Goddamn Sleeping Pill. Dude is boring as fuck and hires social media people to do his tweets for him and powder his nose and butter him up and shit. Dude is phonier than Jon Jones.

yeah, let's discuss true warrior Makdessi. his lazy eye is a natural advantage, y or n?

@poly We're not so much discussing GSP as we are reveling in the fact that when GSP stops ducking him with bullshit injury claims, Johny "The Terror" Hendricks will be the new WW champ.

Badder news, there will be heavyweights there.

Awesome news. Prepare to have your mind blown with Ryan Martinez's fight style. His ability to win is more mysterious than Stonehenge. The guy just stands in the center of the ring and doesn't move and people come to him and he ends up getting decisions.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Why are we discussing the Goddamn Sleeping Pill. Dude is boring as fuck and hires social media people to do his tweets for him and powder his nose and butter him up and shit. Dude is phonier than Jon Jones. I hope he stays out for an extended period of time and they do an interim title fight between Ellen Burger and Johny With One N and make the winner of that fight defend that fucking title instead of being a Natural Born Runner Ducker holding out for a GSPayday. There's all these dealmakers making deals, I just wanna see some scrappin'.

More salt than Angelina Jolie, playboy.

Takuan

Exactly, 50-45. Hendricks keeps whiffing while trying to land the Serra shot and then we do this song and dance routine again with the next Boxer/Wrestler with KO power. Jake Ellenberger, come on down.

Hendricks is practically begging to be destroyed by a counter. He's daring people to have the balls to attempt it swinging wildly the way he did against Conduit. I think GSP's straight jab is fast and sharp enough to actually do some damage given how recklessly Hendricks comes in, but it's more likely that GSP times the takedown rather than risk getting flatlined. So while 50-45 is the likely scenario, I don't think it needs to be that way. Then again, it didn't need to be that way against most of his last opponents outside of Conduit.

Personally, I have my doubts that he fights this year. Johnny and Ellenberger may wind up competing for the interim belt while GSP recovers from whatever injury puts him on the back burner.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Man, so I registered for a kickboxing tournament that spelled kickboxing wrong on the registration form ("kikboxing") and the tourney date is apparently not in 2013, but 3013. This gonna be bad.

Heel

For fans of technicality and athleticism, NCAA Div 1 Wrestlefucking Championship is running for the next 3 days on ESPN 3.

Man, so I registered for a kickboxing tournament that spelled kickboxing wrong on the registration form ("kikboxing") and the tourney date is apparently not in 2013, but 3013. This gonna be bad.

In the year three thousand and thirteen everybody wants to be an mc
In the year three thousand and thirteen everybody want to be a dj
In the year three thousand and thirteen everybody want to be a producer
In the year three thousand and thirteen everybody want to tell ya the meaning of the music

Guru-Guru

Banned
In the year three thousand and thirteen everybody wants to be an mc
In the year three thousand and thirteen everybody want to be a dj
In the year three thousand and thirteen everybody want to be a producer
In the year three thousand and thirteen everybody want to tell ya the meaning of the music
Oh god, thanks for bringing that track up! I really have to listen to Deltron 3030 again. Good shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom